“Tea at the Normandie”

The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I had afternoon tea at the Normandie it is called Thursday High Tea. I was surprise to see the amount of desserts to choose from the service was warm and inviting their waiters were polite and helpfull especially Gregory.Their Desserts were fresh and tasety.Tea is only on thurdays from 4.30pm to 6.30pm.Later we were showed Female Traveller, friendly room by Miss Kimmy Collins .I would go back to have tea at the Normandie again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 13camiel
There are newer reviews for The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Most surprisingly, I had a lovely experience today at the Normandie's afternoon tea service. Food was fresh, desserts were divine and service was wonderful. Hats off to Gregory, his warm, easy going style makes you feel right at home. And his colleagues were no slouches in their service either. I agree that the building needs improvement, but you can clearly see that they are upgrading the facilities.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I had a comfortable stay and their rooms are amazing. There waiters at the restaurant are very polite. They have wonderful room service. The pool was nice as well. The people at the desk are also quite reasonable. I would totally stay here again.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

This must have been a wonderful hotel, in its day. However not now. Old, a little dirty and in need of a make over. Breakfast was average, service average, location reasonable. We checked in very late and were served by someone who should not be allowed to deal with the public.

Room Tip: Not a good choice. Pricey too
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Derek C
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This hotel is horrible. I've stayed here twice. The first time was 2 years ago. Everything was fine. The staff was great. The room as acceptable.
Decided to stay again this March because my first experience was so good. That was a big mistake. The hotel was horrible. We checked in on Friday, February 28, 2014. The AC is out. The average temperature during our 5 day stay was 80 degrees with humidity. It was horrible.
The staff gave us a fan to help cool the room off. Laughable at best. Maintenance tried to fix the AC correction the maintenance guy was out so he sent his cousin to try to repair it. The unauthorized repairman stated our room was the only room with AC problems and left it at that. Some of the worst service I've ever received in my life. He thought my roommate and I should sleep on top on the AC because cool not cold, but cool air could be felt there. This was confusing to me because I thought AC was designed to cover the entire room. That was a horrible experience. Horrible, horrible, horrible.
Being fair about the hotel. The staff was actually great. The manager, Ray, if I remember correctly was great. However, great customer service does not make up for the discomfort of a hot room. After complaining for 3 days top management decided they would compensate us with free dinner everyday. Really, we've already been here for 3 days and we are participating in carnival so we won't be here for dinner. What type of compensation is that? None and offering is very disrespectful at best. Also, cab fare was included in our room rate. Guess, what the cab never showed up. We had to find our own way from the airport. My friend was left at the airport for 3 hours (5:30 am to 11:30). Fortunately, for me they told me immediately, they couldn't pick me up. My flight was delayed because of bad weather and I didn't have time between flights to call. The lady that answered the phone said, "well, you didn't show so you are responsible." I replied, "ma'am the airport was circling the airport in the other city before we landed and couldn't use my phone, you understand the FAA has rules about using phones mid-air." Either she's never flown before or my response didn't pass the smell check for a cab.
With all that being said, please please please spare yourself and DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL. There prices aren't much cheaper than the Hilton if you want to be in that general area. Once again the Normandie is one of the worst hotels in the world. Customer service is great. However, good customer does not make up for subpar accommodations. The AC seems to be an ongoing theme. The night before we left the hotel I saw the cleaning staff drop off other fans to guest. This is totally unacceptable. LET ME SAY THIS ONCE AGAIN, DON'T STAY UNLESS YOU ARE ACCUSTOMED TO LIVING IN THE DESERT AND DON'T CARE ABOUT BEINg COMFORTABLE. Also, the buffet styled breakfast was subpar and that's a compliment. The only thing this hotel has going for itself is it hasn't been condemned by the state for health code violation then again maybe it has. DON'T STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: Don't choose any room at this hotel unless every other hotel is completely booked and you can...
4  Thank SnowBunny P
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed at Normandie for four nights with my boyfriend for a wedding in for New Years' 2014. We stayed in one of the renovated rooms. The room was small, and clean. All of the typical amenities were offered. The bed had average comfort - there were no feather pillows, but it was fine.

Site Amenities
There is a lovely restaurant that we tried at the hotel. It's pricey (compared to street food that we love), however it's comparable to a $$$ US restaurant. The menu had local and American cuisine. The Normandie had a few disconnected buildings where you could access the rooms. There is a pool in the center of one of the buildings - it was clean, you could jump in at the end, and this was a pool mainly for people who can swim. There are also beach chairs by the pool.

The service was nice - they were friendly and accomodating. I didn't have any issues.

Location
This was a great location, about a 5 minute walk from Queen Anne's Circle, and a 20 minute walk to downtown POS. After the wedding, we did a lot of local food tasting, walking around the city, etc. The hotel is also about a 5-10 minute walk from a local grocer. We stocked up on cheese & tuna sandwiches, fruit & morel juice so that we weren't eating at the hotel every night. We didn't have a car, and found our way around nicely.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank modhutch
Reviewed 25 March 2014

First off I have stayed at the Normandie hotel before and it was lovely but unfortunately this trip was not the same. Upon arrival everything seemed great but that quickly changed. On my second day the AC stopped blowing cool air, and our toilet started leaking which made the the room smell of urine and feces and made the room feel damp/moist. I went to the front desk and asked for them to please send someone to fix it and they sent someone one out but the problems remained. On top of these problems our sheets were not changed for 3 days and there were never enough towels even when we asked for extra they said there were no more. I was extremely disappointed with my stay and when trying to get in contact with them after to discuss details of my stay I did not get any response. I would not recommend this hotel. Never again !

6  Thank Anneliese H