“Pretty Okay Non-Chain Hotel”
Review of Kapok Hotel

Kapok Hotel
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Pretty Okay Non-Chain Hotel”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We spend 3 days at this hotel for the Trinidad Carnival. The hotel is very dated but the furnishing were updated as compensation. The room size was normal and the amenities were hotel standard. The hotel offered free internet and parking. The speed on the internet was very good. The staff of the hotel were very friendly and helpful. I was impressed with the honesty of the staff, I forgot my valuables and cash in the safe box at checked-out. All my possessions were returned to me by the manager when I claimed them 3 hours later. The continental breakfast offered were above average and came with an adequate selection of fresh fruits. The location of the hotel is safe and within walking distance to the zoo and botanical garden. Lighting on the hotel grounds as average.

Room Tip: Take room facing the road and higher floor. It is more scenic
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DennisTyler_Texas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I am very happy to report our stay at Kapok was a great one, amazing service, staff so very helpful and polite, fantastic breakfast, very clean!! Air condition was not working properly, but the maintenance person came up immediately and fixed it!! The location was ideal for carnival, and just a 5 minute walk away you can find other restaurants, and 2 shopping plazas, banks, drug store etc. Great area!! Zoo and Savanna is a 3 minute walk away.

Room Tip: Room was a bit small for a couple, but after the 2nd day adjusted. very clean and comfortable
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 15 February 2013

The rooms are very nicely appointed and comfortable. For the price of the hotel, I thought it was a very good value. The pool area was very nice, though I didn't have time to take full advantage of it. I really liked the location. Sure, you don't get ocean views, but it was walking distance to the zoo, the Queen's Park Savannah and the magnificent 7 houses. I found the service at the front desk to be excellent and they took the time to chat with us, remembered our names, etc.
The reason this hotel is not getting an excellent rating is the restaurants. We ate both upstairs and down in the bar, and service was very slow and it was overpriced, even by hotel-restaurant standards. At least the food was very good.
Foreign travellers should know that you have to pay to use the phone for outgoing local calls. This is not something I was used to, but seems to be common in T&T, so be prepared to put down your credit card or bring your cell.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the back side of the hotel for a view of the pool area and less traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Spent 2 nights here recently (on holiday in Tobago). My sister and I picked this hotel because of its central position. When we arrived we were told they had no record of our booking-the agent in UK hadn't informed them. Eventually a phone call to the agent confirmed our booking. We had requested a room with twin beds on an upper floor.We asked if we could have a room at the back of the hotel as a loud band was playing just across the road (went on till very late) and the road itself was very noisy due to the increased carnival traffic. We were told that there was only one twin room left and it was on the 2nd floor as it was the start of the Carnival season and they were fully booked. We couldn't have given us a noiser room-workmen hammering etc in the neighbouring two rooms , the laundrette and ice maker was in a room opposite. We decided to upgrade to a superior room at the back but had to share a kingsize bed as they said they had no superior twin rooms( needless to say this cost us more !)This room was large and pleasant , on the 7th floor and had a balcony, and had a nice upgraded bathroom.
There is only a small noisy bar doing pizzas etc, the Kava, on the ground floor as the cocktail area/ bistro around the pool appears to be closed.
The Tiki restaurent covers the whole of the 8th floor and has amazing views of Port of Spain. We had breakfast there each day and dinner on our 1st night. The food was excellent. The service at dinner was good, but mediocre at breakfast.
Our main problem was the unwelcoming and unhelpful attitude of the reception desk re our room.Though they said the hotel was full because of Carnival time there appeared to be exceptionally few guests around.Their attitude would put me off returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Superior room at back of hotel on a high floor
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Grand Anse
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Only one bar was open on the ground floor - Kava - would have liked to have sat upstairs in the Tikki bar and not just for breakfast. Drinks were slightly overpriced and when my choice of wine was not in stock, they overcharged me for the alternate choice and I had to get them to reduce the bill by $20 TT. Went out for Dinner as the choice in the Hotel was limited to one pizza/pasta diner.
I would recommend a Trinidad Roti - the best I have tasted !!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Chaguanas, Caroni, Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I spent a weekend at Kapok with my husband in April 2012, we are locals, so this was a convenient option. This review has been long overdue. Kapok is definitely one of Trinidad's best kept secrets. The rooms were neat, clean, and had a Caribbean flair to them. The food was great, I actually looked forward to breakfast. I didn't get to visit the pool, because it rained, but the room was comfortable enough to make me want to stay in. I will say however, that the bathrooms could have been upgraded to match the rooms. They were very basic and very sterile looking (reminded me of a hospital). Service in the restaurant was superb, service at reception was ok, not exceptional.

The management at Kapok should really consider initiating some sort of loyalty program or special rate for repeat visitors. The price is also really good. Very affordable.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel, after having stayed here before. I can't say a negative thing about this hotel. While it is true there are various newer properties in Port of Spain, the rooms are comfortable and nice looking, with modern bath room, coffee maker, flat screen TV's etcetera. The rooms are quiet. The complimentary breakfast is quite okay. My airline had cancelled my flight on the original day of my arrival. When I called the Kapok to notify them I would only be staying 2 nights instead of 3 they just pushed back my date of arrival and charged me nothing for the night I had missed. The people in general were very friendly, both front desk as in the breakfast area. I woudld defintely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a more affordable yet pleasant hotel in Trinidad.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business