“less than average hotel”
Review of Kapok Hotel

Kapok Hotel
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed 27 March 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Arun J

Reviewed 6 March 2013

I liked this hotel because it was bery clean and organized. I went as part of a university course and had a roomate. The size was adequate, loved that they had a coffee maker in the room but I didn't mind going ypstairs for the continental breakfast. Nice variety of selected fruits, bagels, toast, cereals, juices and cold cuts. Don't get your hopes up on hot food. The shower in the room was spacious with very good water pressure. The beds are a little hard and a little small as well (my feet were dangling off at the end). Also loved how they have a in room safe that is really easy to use. The staff at the hotel were very nice and accomodating. We asked about the zoo and botanical gardens as me and my roomate were not really into shopping. They gave us some really helpful information so we decided to check it out. Not even a five minute walk and you were there. The hotel is centrally located with about a 25 minute drive from the airport. There is a small plaza about a 10 minute walk from the hotel with restaurants and trinket shops. I had a lovely time in Trinidad and Tobago and I would definately recommend this hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Lindsey M
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My stay at Kapok Hotel was short and sweet. I was there for a conference for the weekend. Food was okay at Tikki Village. Staff was courteous. Rooms are pretty decent to.
On the first day my colleague and I went for a jog around the Queen's Park Savannah which is a two minute walk from the hotel. Just five minutes away is the Emperor Valley Zoo and Botanical Gardens. If you want to go into town you can get a local taxi right outside the hotel. Pretty much the ideal location. There is also a shopping plaza about a seven minute walk. Where there are a variety of shops for just about everything.
Not much negative things to say about this hotel really. :-)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Roxanne L
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We spend 3 days at this hotel for the Trinidad Carnival. The hotel is very dated but the furnishing were updated as compensation. The room size was normal and the amenities were hotel standard. The hotel offered free internet and parking. The speed on the internet was very good. The staff of the hotel were very friendly and helpful. I was impressed with the honesty of the staff, I forgot my valuables and cash in the safe box at checked-out. All my possessions were returned to me by the manager when I claimed them 3 hours later. The continental breakfast offered were above average and came with an adequate selection of fresh fruits. The location of the hotel is safe and within walking distance to the zoo and botanical garden. Lighting on the hotel grounds as average.

Room Tip: Take room facing the road and higher floor. It is more scenic
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DennisTyler_Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I am very happy to report our stay at Kapok was a great one, amazing service, staff so very helpful and polite, fantastic breakfast, very clean!! Air condition was not working properly, but the maintenance person came up immediately and fixed it!! The location was ideal for carnival, and just a 5 minute walk away you can find other restaurants, and 2 shopping plazas, banks, drug store etc. Great area!! Zoo and Savanna is a 3 minute walk away.

Room Tip: Room was a bit small for a couple, but after the 2nd day adjusted. very clean and comfortable
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2013

The rooms are very nicely appointed and comfortable. For the price of the hotel, I thought it was a very good value. The pool area was very nice, though I didn't have time to take full advantage of it. I really liked the location. Sure, you don't get ocean views, but it was walking distance to the zoo, the Queen's Park Savannah and the magnificent 7 houses. I found the service at the front desk to be excellent and they took the time to chat with us, remembered our names, etc.
The reason this hotel is not getting an excellent rating is the restaurants. We ate both upstairs and down in the bar, and service was very slow and it was overpriced, even by hotel-restaurant standards. At least the food was very good.
Foreign travellers should know that you have to pay to use the phone for outgoing local calls. This is not something I was used to, but seems to be common in T&T, so be prepared to put down your credit card or bring your cell.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the back side of the hotel for a view of the pool area and less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Spent 2 nights here recently (on holiday in Tobago). My sister and I picked this hotel because of its central position. When we arrived we were told they had no record of our booking-the agent in UK hadn't informed them. Eventually a phone call to the agent confirmed our booking. We had requested a room with twin beds on an upper floor.We asked if we could have a room at the back of the hotel as a loud band was playing just across the road (went on till very late) and the road itself was very noisy due to the increased carnival traffic. We were told that there was only one twin room left and it was on the 2nd floor as it was the start of the Carnival season and they were fully booked. We couldn't have given us a noiser room-workmen hammering etc in the neighbouring two rooms , the laundrette and ice maker was in a room opposite. We decided to upgrade to a superior room at the back but had to share a kingsize bed as they said they had no superior twin rooms( needless to say this cost us more !)This room was large and pleasant , on the 7th floor and had a balcony, and had a nice upgraded bathroom.
There is only a small noisy bar doing pizzas etc, the Kava, on the ground floor as the cocktail area/ bistro around the pool appears to be closed.
The Tiki restaurent covers the whole of the 8th floor and has amazing views of Port of Spain. We had breakfast there each day and dinner on our 1st night. The food was excellent. The service at dinner was good, but mediocre at breakfast.
Our main problem was the unwelcoming and unhelpful attitude of the reception desk re our room.Though they said the hotel was full because of Carnival time there appeared to be exceptionally few guests around.Their attitude would put me off returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Superior room at back of hotel on a high floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Forty Winks Inn
Forty Winks Inn
#4 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Kapok Hotel? Share your experiences!