“Attended Ole Years Night Party 2011 at Hilton Poolside”

Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed 2 November 2012

My daughter, husband and I attended 2011 ole years night party at the Hilton Poolside.
It was a wonderful experience, the music was great, the food was excellent. The hotel is very well kept and the staff at the hotel always willing and ready to help you. The location is also very centrally located near to the Savannah and downtown Port of Spain.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank angeleyesTrinidad
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Dear angeleyes Trinidad:

Thank you for sharing your experience and positive comments with us in Tripadvisor, especially our great location, maintenance of the property and the service from our team.

We are glad to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay and party for Old Years Night.

We look forward to be your preferred option again this year!

Reviewed 29 October 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay this past week at the Hilton Trinidad. I'm a HHonors Diamond VIP. The benefits were excellent. The rooms were nice, the fitness center is top notch, and the Executive lounge is one of the best I have been to. The staff at the lounge and the fitness center did a great job. However, housekeeping was very disappointing. Very slow, forgetting to leave coffee, wash clothes, towels was a daily nuisance. When we called to get these needed items I had to call at least twice to get the items. The pool bar staff on Saturday were pathetic. When my wife and I sat down to order some food, the staff acted like we were bothering them. One lady never got out of her chair the whole time we were there. Our food came out of the kitchen and sat on the pickup shelf for about ten minutes. Finally we asked the waitress if she could bring our food before it became cold. She muttered something under her breath and shoved the plates in front of us. People like this can ruin the reputation of this fine hotel. The general attitude of the pool staff and housekeeping is terrible. Saturday I called the front desk and asked for the manager because I wanted to speak to him/her about this. The person at the front desk said “I will have the manager call you”. No phone call was received. Improvements are needed in some departments, but the others are top notch. Will we stay here again. You bet. The good things outweigh the bad things.

1  Thank Ken E

Dear youcan2:

We really thank you for taking the time to review our property.

We appreciate your positive comments regarding service at our Executive Lounge. We are sorry to learn that we did not offer the expected service from our housekeeping, pool area team as well as the follow up from our front desk team.

Your valued feedback is the opportunity for us to correct and improve and offer the service we strive for at Hilton.

We look forward to having your preference next time you visit Trinidad.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

The hotel sits on the side of a hill/small mountain with a view over Port of Spain...if you can find the view. The 9th floor is on the bottom and the 1st floor is at the top. It seems as if every time you wish to go somewhere in the hotel, it requires two elevators and a long walk. The overall feel is tired. Our room was so humid even with the A/C on that we had little puddles on the floor and the sheets on the bed felt almost damp. The prices for food and drink, expecially breakfast were a bit over the top. Plus, the food didn't look very good. And, a beer that cost $2 outside the hotel shouldn't cost that much inside. The staff was mixed, some anxious to help, while others seemed disinterested.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms at the bottom (9th floor) of the building

Dear Skyhoosier from Naples:

Thank you for sharing your recent experience and recommendations with us.

We are sorry to know that your stay with us was not completely satisfactory as we strive to not only meet but exceed our guests expectations with an excellent product and services. We really appreciate your feedback as it will definitely help us to identify improvement opportunities.

We hope to have the opportunity to offer our services next time you visit Trinidad!

Reviewed 19 October 2012

I had a birthday party to go to in Trinidad, so I booked for myself and my sister and my 9 month old nephew to stay here. We arrived at around 7pm on Saturday evening and checked in to a rather unwelcoming receptionist - not what i am used to for the Hilton chain. We were allocated a room on the 9th floor and told where to go. Firstly we got in the lift which clearly has marked to swipe your room card to activate the lift, we did this several times in different directions but the lift did not move. Then we tried to open the doors and it wouldn't so between warmth and panic with a baby this was the start of our problems. Eventually the doors opened briefly - just enough to get out before it closed on the stroller as I was trying to push the baby out. A young staff member -Elizabeth Rivas came to our rescue and took us to another lift and told us to use those, which we did. By now we were hot and flustered. On the 9th floor we followed the signs to our room and got to the end of the floor which did not run to our room number. Eventually we saw a small sign in useless colours - and i wish i had taken a picture now - which showed that we needed to go through another corridor to get to our room. Not impressed! So by now it has taken us around 15 minutes to get to our room! On entering the room we find there are NO amenities! No teabags, coffee, spoons, water, glasses, kettle - NOTHING! Oh apologies there was a Lavazza coffee machine with 2 Lavazza polysterene cups but not even the Lavazza coffee amenities!
I had asked reception to provide 2 pairs of slippers and 2 bathrobes, bearing in mind it had already taken us close to 15 minutes to get to the room they still had not arrived. Somewhat irritated now and with a baby to feed with no kettle i called to housekeeping and requested these things - Some 20 minutes later I still had not received anything, so i called downstairs to front desk and spoke to reception and told him of my annoyance - to which he apologised and said he would contact Housekeeping, as he said this the robes and slippers arrived. It took approximately a further 10 minutes before the other amenities arrived in order to settle my nephew with his bottle etc and I had to call down again to say this is completely unacceptable. Worse still I am a Hilton Honours member and have never experienced this kind of service before! He offered us by way of compensation breakfast, however the issue here is not that we wanted breakfast - but that the room was not prepared ready for our arrival and should never have been allocated to us in the first place. We were facing the road side, because apparently all rooms with 2 beds in them are on the roadside. Surely arriving with an infant a room would have been prepared adequately and further why have rooms with 2 beds on the roadsie so if my nephew was a little older and he wanted to go out onto the balcony - the view would be the roadside??!! Crazy! To compound matters I am due back there for a week in February, and i am dreading it! I sincerely hope they get their act together before then!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JulesMiddlesexUK
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear guest from Middlesex UK:

We are sorry to know that we did not offer the expected level of service and the overall stay was less than satisfactory.

Provididng excellent customer service is our main focus. We appreciate comments and observations in the areas reported as they help us to identify and improve our services and facilities to offer better experiences to our clients. Please contact me directly at somalia.amaya@hilton.com to have your room type and view preference as part of your reservation requests for your next stay with us.

We look forward to having another opportunity to offer an enjoyable experience next time you visit us.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

It has been my pleasure since 2010 to be a guest on many occasions at this property. Generally, all my interactions with the staff have been memorable as on each visit I am welcomed by persons who are hospitable,and pleasant. These persons include Anthony Bell, Dana Ramcharan (at the front desk) and Donna (one of the servers in the dining area) - all are very polite and always willing to offer assistance to make my stay an enjoyable experience.

Dear Latoya W:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on tripadvisor.

We are glad to know we met and exceeded service expectations on each of your stays. We will definitely share with our team and especially with Anthony, Dana and Donna your positive comments as they help to maintain the motivation and service passion.

We look forward to continue being your preferred option next time you visit Trinidad!

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I once went to a seminar at this place. The food tasted good, but low and behold while chewing I felt something unusual in my mouth. When I took it out, you would never believe that I found a tom tack in my food. Luckily I was chewing slowly. I was shocked. What is a tom tack doing in your kitchen. The head chef apologised but an apology would not have been sufficient, if I had damaged my tooth or swallowed it. What a shame. I would have second thoughts when eating at this hotel.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear Khalifam:

We are sorry to learn that your experience during this seminar last November was less than satisfactory. We can assure you that all standard procedures are in place to guarantee and offer the high service levels we strive for.

Thank you for sharing your experience; we appreciate you brought your experience to our attention so we have the opportunity to improve our services. We would appreciate if you can contact me directly ( somalia.amaya@hilton.com ) to have further details as unfortunately no reports on that date are available.

Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

Since I travel for a living customer service means a lot. Most of my colleagueas have wrote good reviews about this hotel so, I want to point out experience I had here in the restaurant. I was greeted by a wonderful lady name maurica who I most say is good at what she do. Maurica then sat me down and told me my waiter would be with me. Well to my my surprise the waiter never came. 15 min had went bye and no help. I was lost of words cause I kept seeing all these employees past and know1 stop to ask do I need help. As I was about to leave a lady was passing bye with a coffee pot and some , other disher in her hands asked did I need help. I was upset at this point but was surpise she stop to ask me for help. I told her I was waiting for my waiter and was about to leave. She stop what she was doing to take my order. The funny thing is she not my waiter, but I forgot all what just happen cause some1 went out there way to help me. I don't know if it was the way I look or was my culture or how I was dress I was just not help but that was not right.. I must say that I did get great professinal service from the waiter. She really made me forget all what had went down and changemy mind of leaving to. So I ask daniell for the bill. She told me she will find the waiter for the table cause they have the bill. The waiter came with the bill to my surprise she past me 5times...waw...so I paid with my card and was going to leave danielle a nice us cash tips. But the lady thought it was hers...lol. anyway cause of the professinal sevice I got from danielle o'brie I have told all my cowork about her. So management staff please make sure that ms danielle o'brie is is available to us in the morning. We put her name a pic up with many other hard working employees frm other hotel around the world on our web site. This tell our colleague workers like ms o'brie will go the extra mile for a customer and wuld as for them when they come back. As a gold member of hilton Ms o'brie most have been with hilton a long tme. She has been well trained. My company will send a letter to hilton corporate headquaters to let them know the great staff they have like ms o'brie and maurica is doing. Thanks again maurica for going out yur way to get that pepper sause to take for me and my coworkers. It was greatly appreciated. Big tip..hilton has the best hotel in Trinidad. No1 come close. Not even marriott or hyatt or crownplaza just t name a few..if yu want to tase real Trinidad pepper sauce hilton is the way to go.. pic of the workers soon to come

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear jonny2914:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to know that you are satisfied with our services and facilities and especially with services from Danielle and Mauricia. We will gladly share your positive comments with them; we are sure they will continue offering the same great service with the same passion offering the extra mile. Thanks to your detailed report we have also met with restaurant supervisors to ensure the standard procedures are followed so we guarantee an excellent service without delays at all times.

We look forward to your continued preference for your future visits to our hotel and our Pool Terrace Garden Restaurant.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port of Spain
Kapok Hotel
#6 of 21 in Port of Spain
Holiday Inn Express Trincity Trinidad Airport
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort

Been to Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!