“Great bird watching, poor service”

Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Houston
“Great bird watching, poor service”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The best part of the stay was bird watching from my balcony, as the property is located on a lush hillside. There is a problem with parking, especially if they are having an event. Don't expect good service. A very few of the staff are good. Others treat you as if they are doing you a favor by serving you. At the bar, the bar tenders try to find out your likes so they can put you down for them. They seem to love arguing about what football is and how wrong you are about anything and everything you like. There is nothing to do nearby. It isn't family oriented. You're basically treated as an imposition to them. The concierge lounge had a very poor selection, but one of the few attentive wait staff. I'm not planning a trip back to Trinidad.

Room Tip: My room was a decent room on the 6th floor facing the tennis courts. It was quiet with a lovely view...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank besttsktsk
HiltonTrinidad, General Manager at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thanks for your response. I will look into your concerns and comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 November 2013

A property in a location that offers great views. Was here for work, for one week. Room was excellent (just renovated apparently), breakfast buffet was really good, gym was ok, pool area was ok. Overall a good experience although in parts of the hotel you can really feel it is an old property. Maintenance is not at it’s best. WiFi was not the best either. Constantly dropping, and weak signal in the room ; low strength in the room and in the meeting room. Good strength in public areas. On the negatives: the ridiculous system of vouchers that you need to show for breakfast. If you forget the voucher, servers are not too happy, although in general I thought service was excellent, always with a smile. If I come back for personal reasons, one turn off would be that it is far from everything, and taxis from the hotel are a rip-off (14 USD for a ride to the Long Circular Road Mall, which should cost no more than 2 or 3 dollars). Breakfast was amazing!

1 Thank Xaviero76
Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. This will go a long way in improving our service.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Front desk staff was not attentive, was curt and not very helpful in providing any info on things to do during my visit. What disturbed me more, was when I checked out, the staff was unbelievably rude! I asked her if she could assist me in finding out if my flight was on time and her response was, she is not my secretary and it is not her job to provide such help. I found that kind of behavior unbecoming for the service that is expected from the Hilton brand, it is not the kind of experience I am accustom to and come to expect when I stay with such quality name brand hotel. However the location and the surrounding was pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thanks for your feedback. Please accept my appologies for your experience. Please also contact me at leroy.browne@hilton.com for follow up.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We were put in room 165 which is very close to the Cartlon hotel roof bar next door. The noise from the live band at the roof bar was incredible and went on until 1am. The problem though was not particularly the noise from the Carlton Hotel next door, because the Hilton are not in control of this, but our issue was with the way the staff treated our concerns about this noise. Their apathy was appalling. At 9pm I telephoned the front desk to ask what time the Carlton roof top bar closed, because, if it was by 11pm we would be ok, but if it was going to last after that we wanted another room away from that part of the Hilton. I was promised a call back with this information. I never got that call. When I called again at 11.45pm another member of staff said the music would last until 1am and that "nobody had ever complained about it before". The next morning I complained to the manager Derek Singh about our wasted night without sleep and he said "All I can do is apologise".

Luckily, later in the day I complained to another senior member of staff (Kenneth) who offered a breakfast voucher as a gesture, which went a little way to calming us down.

On the positive side, however, the Hilton is very well positioned in the hills above the Port of Spain and is a very stylishly designed hotel. Perhaps in a different room my experience would have been so much better.

Room Tip: Avoid 165 on Saturday's unless you can't hear.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience. I appologise for the way this was handled and I will look into the issue you described.
Scarborough, Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This hotel is one of the better hotels to stay at while in Trinidad whether on business or leisure. It is affordable, comfortable, secure, and nestled in the city but away from the center of traffic and convenient enough to all amenities such as airport, restaurants, and shopping malls.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

We thank you for your assessment and hope to have you back soon.
key west, florida
Reviewed 26 November 2013

And I did not at the Hilton in Trinidad. I used the free internet in the lobby, along with most of the other guests. Inconvenient for sure. I will not go back to the Hilton in these circumstances; there are other nice places in Port of Spain who value customers more than the Hilton. I am old enough to remember cheap hotels where you had to pay for TV. I put hotels who charge for Internet in 2013 in that category.
Other than that very inconvenient and inconsiderate issue, I found things generally Okay. Well, the hallways smelled musty. Not a good thing. Where I come from (Florida) that is a precursor to mold. I don't like it.
There was a lack of lighting in and around the closet. I just hoped I had matching socks when I left the room for my business meetings. The bathroom was nice and well appointed but a bit snug for my liking.
Breakfast was okay for sure. The other meals can be taken outside in the town on the "Avenue." I am sure I heard the waitress incorrectly when she told me the price of the evening buffet - it cannot be that much!
The staff were friendly and helpful. The place is clean. Two plusses. Their motto is the "upside down hotel" because it goes down the hillside. I would amend the motto to be: "upside-down and backwards," for their outdated policies on customer care (use of internet).
My final word: Dear Hilton, please get into the 21st century, you can (should) do better.

Room Tip: It is the upside down hotel, so get a room on a lower numbered floor, the view will be better.
1 Thank dandeja
Thanks for your comments. We value your feedback and use your suggestions to improve our services. Thanks for caring enough to mention them.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I can't believe I'm just getting around to writing this review. Stay here. It is one of my most memorable experiences about my trip to Trinidad. The hotel is very interesting. It's out of the way from most eating and attractions but the hotel itself is very relaxing. Stayed here after a week of visiting more bustling sections of Port of Spain and surrounding communities. We stayed on the ground floor. Definitely was a good choice.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BlkFoodie
Thank you and come again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port of Spain
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
The Carlton Savannah
The Carlton Savannah
#15 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!