“Friendly, clean, cheap”
Review of Melbourne Inn

Melbourne Inn
Ranked #27 of 43 Port of Spain B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

If you don't want to spend a lot of money this is a great place to stay. Helpful staff, nice restaurants close by. I'd come again. You can get to wherever you want to go in Port of Spain from here without too much difficulty and the rent cars as well.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank EverythingIsBroken
There are newer reviews for Melbourne Inn

Reviewed 8 April 2014

These are the positive reasons of this ON BUDGET HOTEL.

1. Room is very clean.

2. T.V. has more than 150 channels.

3. staff is amazingly helpful with Info about the area or some good tips.

4.This place is a good Hotel for a short stay or if you are on budget because all other Hotels are very expensive and this is just good to sleep, eat, then leave.

5. The (sometimes loud) family goes to sleep early.

6. Can buy a beer or refreshment if wanted for a little charge.

7. The room is big enough for a 4 person family

These are the negative reasons of this Hotel

1. There is no pool

2. There is no fitness center

3. Breakfast cost money

4. chef is late sometimes

5. The hot water for the bath is solar powered (meaning you cant take a bath at night without water being cold).

6. The air conditioner is loud depending on the settings also there is no hot setting on the AC

7. The beach is very far (at least 30 minutes away by car) depending on traffic and time.

After all of that, this hotel is an amazing Hotel for a short business trip and way better than very expensive hotels close by. It is located by the main strip and has resteraunts and bars. The beach is quite a drive away (good beach), but worth it. The people are very nice and are very informative when need information. The rooms are great, and so is the People.
* All this information is coming first hand and by an 11 year old kid
This was a family vacation , we traveled in April, the service was very good, the value was great, The sleep quality was ok, the cleanliness was great, the location is average, The rooms are very good, And again there is no fitness center or swimming pool.

Thank you for reading and like if this was helpful...
Thanks again for reading X Blake
`````````````````

Room Tip: lower floors have a faster way outside and is safer because at night up stairs you will have to come...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Blake W
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed there one night. The room was simple but sufficient to meet all your needs. A/C being the most important.

It was quaint and satisfying. The room was pretty clean and everything else was good for the cheap price in its location. $65 us is what we paid. At night they locked the front gate and had a security guard.

The one downside was the noise of the hallway rings through the walls and the noise from the streets was disruptive. If you're a light sleeper bring good ear plugs.

The real highlight of the inn was the staff. There was a gentleman working during the day and a lady at night. They were very friendly and unbelievably helpful. They gave us the ins ands outs of port of Spain. What to and not to do. The lady even called hotels in Tobago to book the next nights accommodations!

The hotel was a 4 star and the staff made it a 5.

Keep up the great work!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank PathsAbroad
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I'm giving the Melbourne Inn a five-star rating because it is a great place to stay if you're looking for something in the budget range. I wouldn't give it five stars if I were stacking it against some of the other hotels in Port of Spain, however, I found it to be one of the better budget places I've ever stayed in.

I got a great big room with two beds, three fans, two chairs, a little fridge, lots of closet space, etc. etc. The shower had good water pressure and temperature, the towels were nice and fluffy, the bed was comfortable, the TV worked, there were lots of hooks to hang stuff to dry. My only issue was with the traffic noise. Even with the windows closed, I could hear the traffic, and man, it can be loud, e.g. guys in souped up cars blaring their music at 3 a.m. My one suggestion for the Inn is that they put better locks on the doors. Right now, they're the type that could easily be popped. They do have a security guard on at night.

The community kitchen is handy for making coffee or cooking dinner (I did the former, not the latter). There's a microwave and a stove, a full-sized fridge, and it's stocked with dishes, pots, pans, etc.

The staff at the Inn were great -- very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed interacting with them and they never made me feel like I was bothering them when I asked questions (as I've felt in other places). I appreciated that they were able to find me a beach towel so I didn't have to take the white towel from my room to the beach.

All in all, I enjoyed my 5-night stay there, the price was great compared to a lot of other properties, and you can't beat the location -- right near lots of restaurants and bars, close to a main road to get taxis, walking distance to a grocery store and pharmacy. Very convenient.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Laura_Zera
Reviewed 17 April 2013

the Melbourne inn was a very lovely place to stay i speed one night with my husband an it was sweet . the place was very very clean an the staff was helpful the night is very came i will like to go back as soon as i can love it

Room Tip: the room are grate
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loveme_13
Reviewed 14 April 2013

When I first arrived at Melbourne Inn, I wanted to check out and relocate to another hotel. I was given a room that would not really lock and felt like I was living in whack accommodations - however, this was only because I arrived at 1:00 am or so and I was provided the only room the late night security guard had a key for - so I am very glad I stayed. The next day, I had a much more comfortable room.

Melbourne Inn is literally less than a block away from all the Port of Spain nightlife (not the beach fetes tho!), including the main strip of clubs/bars and restaurants. You can literally party all night and then safely stumble back to the inn. For that, it rocks. I rented a car in Port of Spain and there was ample off-street parking. The hotel employees made sure I was aware of the rules for parking that day and that my car was safe - the security guard watched over it at night. If you're lucky, you may get parking in the actual inn.

It's reasonably priced and there is a cute little restaurant where you can get coffee/drinks/food inside. There is tv, internet, and comfortable lodgings. It's not fancy or anything, but if you're on a budget and want to enjoy Port of Spain, the Melbourne Inn works.The staff is attentive, friendly, and provide you with as much information about things to do. Port of Spain is also an easy walking city - you can pretty much walk the entirety of the downtown area in half a day or so.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank wavypearl
Reviewed 30 December 2012

HOW I found this hotel :- I am a world traveler and am always staying in hotels in my travels. For this particular visit, I was staying overnite in Trindad before catching a onward flight to my main destination. This meant a stay of about 12-13 hours. I clearly did not want to spend too much money for 12-13 hours.

However, on looking at trip advisor reviews of hotels in Port of Spain, I found that their was absolutely no reasonable hotel close to the international airport. The reviews were terrible. And all decent hotels in Port of Spain were costing like 175 us$ approximately. I did not want to pay that much for a 12 hour stay.

Then I found this hotel on Trip Advisor with good reviews only for 56 us$ a night. I booked it immediately.

My STAY at this hotel :-

Plus Points :-

1. Very clean and tidy room, smelling good
2. AC working well, plus 2 fans provided
3. TV with 100's of international channels
4. Very polite check in by the lady in charge
5. Excellent location close to a major mall/cinema hall, 10 minute walk away
6. Hands down winner for a short overnite stay. You wil NOT regret.
7. Nice spacious bathroom , well lit. Not dingy.
8. Room though looks "poor" but comfortable!

MInus Points

1. Hot water availabilty is inadequate. They say, they have a sloar powered heater. Fair enough. But when I wanted my bath at 6 am , their was no hot water. This meant, I never got to take a bath at all in my 12 hour stay. This is a huge negative for me. My advise to hotel. Install water wall heaters in every bathroom. They do not cost that much and at least we will get some hot water. Clearly, the solar powered heaters is not the solution!

2. Considerable noise in the alleyways in the night. Being a cheap place, it attracts all kinds of people to live there. Not that any one hassled me. However, late night I could hear voices and also some televisions were turned out loud.

Overall, I suggest this place for overnite stay specially. By the way, their is no fitness centre, swimming pool or any such frills here. The taxi from airport to here, cost me 150 local dollars .

Room Tip: Hmm..all rooms look ok to me. I believe their are some rooms with common bathrooms. Ask for rooms wi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business