“Great Central Place to Stay!”
Review of Sundeck Suites

Sundeck Suites
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Of The World
“Great Central Place to Stay!”
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I stayed here in November. It was cheap ($75/per night) and the hotel doesn't have a lot of rooms which is great because you don't have all the hub bub of a larger hotel. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was FANTASTIC! I'm not incredibly picky in accomodations because I'm not there to LIVE in the room I'm there to experience the VACATION. Our room was equipped with a microwave, hot plate, pots & pans, dishes, cups and silverware plus a full sized refrigerator. The room was a very decent size. They recommended a FANTASTIC Roti place on Maraval Road..OMG! For breakfast you have to go to their other property down the block and it's $5/per person. TIP: try and change over cash prior to the trip. While it's not generally an issue we found in our experience people tended to roll their eyes when we offered US dollars for purchases. A cab ride from the hotel to the airport and vice versa is $25-30 U.S. Dollars.
There is overnight security and they lock the front gate at night. There is ALWAYS someone available. The hotel is located in a primarily residential neighborhood...but it's relatively quiet. Thank god they have air conditioning...because it was HOT as hell down there! Short walk to Queen's Park and the Zoo (depends on if you're a walker or not...lol) and we walked downtown from the hotel. Make sure you stay hydrated because it is HOT down there!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LittleTini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 January 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sundeck for 5 nights and look forward to doing it again. We arrived from the airport at 1:30 am and were nervous to see the place in darkness and the gate closed with no other way in. However an employee came out right away and opened the gate for us. We were checked in right away and escorted to our room. The room was not a palace or anything, but it was very practical and spacious. Also very clean. We enjoyed having the balcony, even though it was not huge, but why should it be. My only complaints would be the twin size beds that we had to push together and the temperature of the water in the shower was difficult to set. Location was fine, close to the gardens and the zoo and many restaurants. I would recommend Sundeck Suites to anyone who is not looking for elegance and perfection, but a comfortable, affordable place.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Twin Beds
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank howifeelaboutit
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 6 June 2006

If you are looking for a place to stay that is central, clean and close to everything - then the Sundeck Suites is the right place. While the hotel does not have everything that the bigger hotels such as a pool or a gym, they have something than is hard to put a price on - customer service. Everyone at the hotel was helpful providing suggestions on where to go to grab a quick bite, to giving you clear directions on how to get somewhere.

The rooms are modest, but they have every modern amenity that you will need - including a microwave. The bathroom facilites are clean and modern as well with decent water pressure. Also, we had a patio off our room so that we could enjoy breakfast in the sun.

The only drawback were the beds. While they were twin beds, the mattresses were really thin. However, I am happy to report, the thin mattresses did not have any bed bugs and were incredibly clean.

I would stay here again. It is close to a grocery store, down the street from an Internet cafe and if you enjoy walking, you can make it into Port of Spain proper in 20 minutes. However, if you don't feel like walking far, make sure you call Arnold at ---- as he is THE BEST taxi driver in Port of Spain. Knows everything and has reasonable prices.

• Stayed May 2006
17 Thank Timetogo3448
Reviewed 14 September 2004

I stayed at the Sundeck Suites in August 2004. I was in Trinidad visiting family and wanted to "hang out" in Town (Port of Spain), so i stayed a 3 day weekend.

The location is ideal, within walking distance of my favorite hangout, Jenny's on the Boulevard. The place is clean, the staff is friendly, the rooms are comfortable except for one thing, the mattresses are miserably uncomfortable. The beds are twin size, which is not a problem, but the mattresses are foam and not a high density foam either. The mattress rests on wooden slats that I felt no matter which way I tossed and turned. I was in pain by the end of the 3 nights.

I think that because the place is a hotel, they should invest in the comfort of the guests and change to innerspring mattresses. Foam is not suitable for a mattress that gets everyday use. My sofabed at home is more comfortable.

However, I would stay there again, because the actual room, etc. is a good value for the price, and as I said it was clean and well kept. I would walk with my twin size Aerobed to put on top of the existing foam mattress though.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 April 2004

We were a group of 9 young persons on our first visit to Port-of-Spain Trinidad.
Having found Sundeck Suites on the Internet,I decided to give them a try.However I told them we would be overnighting,and possibly saty on depending on our flight time to Tobago.
It was a decision we did not regret.
The room was immaculate. Apparently,the floor tiles were new and we even had a microwave in our kitchene area.
The staff were ver helpful and most friendly.. the caribbean flavour was quite otstanding.
We stayed 8 nights and even negotiated a special rate since it was many of us,and we our stay was vey lon.
Trinidad...Sundeck Suites....Look ou for us in May 2005.Actually I made a deposit and will beef up pland when we have decided on our actual dates.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 February 2004

A group of us visited Trinidad and Tobago for a family reunion for the Christmas/New Year holidays. It was great to be in a warm country smack in the middle of a Canadian winter. We enjoyed the hospitality of the people of Trinidad and Tobago. This is a special time of year to visit in that everyone is in a party mode. I also learned that Trinidadians are always in a party mode. I enjoyed tasting the cosmopolitan cuisine. There are many excellent restaurants in Port of Spain. One major problem was finding suitable accommodation. The Sundeck Suites clearly does not live up to its promotional material. It is better to go to one of the larger hotels. The Hilton hotel had a special Christmas package which was well within the budget for comfort and a high level of service. Tobago is idyllic -- a good place to visit.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

#1 of 21 in Port of Spain
Forty Winks Inn
Forty Winks Inn
#3 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Sundeck Suites? Share your experiences!