“Fantastic Hotel near to everything”

Courtyard Port of Spain
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
New York City, New York
“Fantastic Hotel near to everything”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I traveled to Trinidad as part of a Island Hopping tour in 2012.

Trinidad is the New York of the Caribbean. Tall buildings, oil money and lots of cars!. We stayed at the Marriott for 1 night. The Marriott does not fail- the amenities , service and location, the nearby restaurants and mall - movie town. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was very clean and comfortable, i would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. .

Cheers,
Bill

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Bill,

We are happy that we were able to live up to your expectations and thank you for your willingness to recommend our hotel to others.

It was indeed a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to see you again sometime soon.

Nicol Khelawan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Ozone Park, New York
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My fiancé and I spent nine lovely days here. The staff was so friendly and helpful, the room was very clean and comfortable, and it was so convenient having the option of eating at the hotel's restaurant or at the many restaurants at Movie Towne, which is directly next door. There is no question that if we return to POS, we will stay there again. A special thanks to Vernessa, who warmly greeted us upon arrival and helped us as we checked out, but really, all of the staff were fantastic.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back of the hotel are very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Mary Ann D,

It was indeed our pleasure having you stay with us. A special thank you for recognising Vernessa on her hospitality, your recognition will definitely be shared with her.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Georgetown, Guyana
Reviewed 18 October 2013

At sixty six years old and doing quite a bit of traveling since 1969 I have grown to accept many irksome things at hotels from Canada, the USA, and all the way down to Brazil and many in between, including five star ones. I also stayed at ones in England and Egypt. Things, although accepting, I can never get accustomed to. The cold hard looks from the receptionist as they seem to be doing you a favor. The butterflies in your gut when you jump out of the taxi, all travel sore, always hoping for a better than average greeting from the staff. The less than basic service. Having a fear to complain as it tends to spoil your stay and frets your spouse, biding your time until it is over with, etc., etc.. I was once humiliated at a hotel on Miami Beach Florida in no uncertain terms. at the check-out desk as trying to abscond without paying my bill very vociferously in front of many other patrons. I had paid up front on the internet but due to their inefficiency they had no record of my payment. I still have their letter of apology on my laptop.
There is an unexpected departure from the norm as you enter the Marriott. It is hard to explain. But you head to the receptionist in your usual almost cringing manner to stave off the attitude that you expect to be showered with. But that attitude is just not there. No it isn't. Instead it is all smiles and comforting words as if you know them and they you. I just gave them my first name and before I could say it they gave ME my last name. I was early but a room was made available for me in fifteen minutes. It was a different experience for me, but a really longed-for one.
After My wife and I settled down we returned to the desk and the area outside the hotel was explained to us(there is a mall almost adjoining the hotel where there are lots of eating places). We were later approached by Steve the hotel security who gave us his card and explained the do's and don't s about having a safe stay. This was an added plus.
The breakfasts were lovely and affordable. The bar was good. And everything was influenced by a wonderful feeling of like being a part of the family. This I think really spoilt me.
At check-out I was given the bill the way I wanted it to be split up by the very efficient Vernessa. Our stay was six short days. The room was good. King sized bed. All the amenities functioned. Hair dryer. The shower head was not blocked up with scale(I actually travel with a pin for that). The toilet moved everything away in one flush. Everything was ultra clean...everyday. The A/C was adjustable to your likeness. Flat screen TV with remote and lots of channels. Coffee maker(with coffee etc.). Fridge. Two bottles of water to greet you. Desk with office chair to do your work. Phone with answering machine. WiFi(also guest computers in the lobby). In house taxi service. Gym in the lobby area with hi tec machines. Room card entry. 24 hour snack bar. Ice machines on designated floors. Pool. Top floor coin laundry. The works.
I have always seen Marriott's and passed them by. Now, they are the standard by which I go by.

Room Tip: I faced the front(highway) but it wasn't noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joe J
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Joe J,

Thank you for taking time to write on your stay with us.

The Marriott brand prides itself in creating connections with our guests. We appreciate your recognition of our associates especially Steve and Vernessa who will be recognised by us on your behalf.

We wish you and your wife safe travels, hope to see you again sometime soon.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My Husband, toddler and myself stayed here most recently for 5 days. The premises are clean, the room is a good size and the staff is very friendly. The food at the hotel is great the lobby area is nice and inviting for travelers as well as locals. We reseved a crib when we made the reservations and it was in the room when we arrived.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Rinette J.

We are happy that we were able to facilitate a great stay for you and your family. Thank you for recognising the friendliness of our staff, they are committed to providing you with a home away from home.

Hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and spend time with your toddler.

Trinidad
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed for one night with my spouse and 3 young children to celebrate a birthday. Check-in was smooth and in a matter of minutes we were on our way to MovieTowne to catch a movie (a casual 3-4 minute stroll). Drinks and dinner at the hotel was a pleasant relaxing experience and the hotel staff even surprised us with a special birthday treat which we really appreciated. The rooms are probably the cleanest I've ever stayed in and although they faced a busy highway, traffic noises were not a problem. When we discovered that the TV in one of the rooms was not working, the front desk sent up a technician right away and in less than 3 minutes the problem was rectified.
Breakfast was a welcome departure from the usual buffet offerings and the "made-to-order" menu offered a variety of choices which arrived piping hot in a timely manner. The pool is on the small side and is rather shallow (with the deepest end being just over 5 ft deep) but with 3 young children this was ideal for our needs (it also meant that the water was nice and warm even early in the morning). The best part was the warm, professional and friendly staff who were always willing to assist with anything.
I've stayed here before and will definitely do so again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TriniTraveller5
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I asked for a change in rooms due to the noise in the front and the reply was "Perfect, we only need to change keys!" right away. The food is great, and the rooms are spacious and clean.

I also had my internet checked and was greeted by a friendly note saying it had been revised and was working properly. Great work from the local team!

Room Tip: Ask for the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Isislabella
Trinidad
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

When I booked I asked for extra towels, pillows etc. I got everything I asked for. Was able to check-in a bit earlier. They asked for id of each Guest and then each Guest has to sign a form, so check-in was about 10mins.
Got a room with a balcony, with pool view. The view is nothing much and also faces a big building.
Movietown is next to this hotel and convenient for food etc.
There is parking available but before 4pm it was almost full but later that evening a lot of parking spaces available.
The staff was friendly and willing to assist. I noticed that when they are handing over anything to you at the front desk they come out from behind the desk and then hand it to you. As I got into the room, a few minutes later I got a call from person at front desk asking if everything was fine and if I required anything. It was a pleasant start.
The shampoo, towels etc are the same as in other Marriott Hotels I have been to. The water pressure is good. There is a coffee maker and a small fridge and safe. I could not find the remote for the ac though but wasn't an issue.
Breakfast is about $60TT and dinner $150TT
It was a good stay and I will recommend it. Bit on the expensive side as a local staying there though. Was almost $1500TT/night. I should have asked if they offered a TnT citizen rate :)

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Poisonarrowz
GMCYPOS, General Manager at Courtyard Port of Spain, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Poisonarrowz,

Thank you for taking time to share on your experience at our property.

We appreciate your commentson your interactions with our Front Desk team and I will be sure to share with our team.

We look forward to having you back with us in the near future.