“A good place with room for improvement.”

Palm's Hotel Trinidad
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Tunapuna, Trinidad
“A good place with room for improvement.”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

LOCATION:
This hotel is in a good location because it is literally about 5-10 mins to the airport depending on the traffic situation. It is on the main road of a small town. You should expect noise of traffic and other noises of nightlife on occasion. This can't be helped so if you want no noise go to a hotel in the mountains (Blanchisseuse). There is also no view but I liked the grounds. If you want a view go to Tobago... Lots of views there.

PARKING, SECURITY & WiFi:
If you come with a car parking is adequate especially at night. The security measures seem acceptable. There is 24 hr lobby staff and security guard and one way in and out of the establishment with security cameras in several areas for your safety. There is also complimentary WiFi which worked well.

STAFF & SERVICE:
The staff seemed friendly and amiable. However don't expect to be led to your room (you will be given directions) and don't expect to be helped with your luggage you may have to carry it yourself up some stairs (a dealbreaker for some). Expect the a/c to be off when you get in. It was not an issue for me but it might be for others. When it came to questions about the area, what to do around and about breakfast they seemed happy to answer the questions and proved to be well informed.

OTHER AMENITIES:
There is a small hotel store selling items like local beverages, snacks like chips, cup soup, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, even Listerine if you needed it.

ROOM/SUITE:
The deluxe room is a good size. Tiled flooring and clean. Featuring dark wood furniture. A touch of paint here & there is needed. There was no odor as described in other reviews. There are also no bugs. There is a desk with a large mirror. The a/c worked very well and was not too loud as to disturb sleep. The queen sized bed was clean (you can tell as it has white sheets). I was not bitten by anything and it was quite comfortable. There were additional pillows in the closet.. No problems there. The t.v. situation could be improved. It has basic cable (good) but there is no remote for the t.v. so you have to get up for volume control or to turn it off. The location of the cable box could use some improvement. I thought it was funny... My friend called it a "ghetto setup". There is an ironing board but no iron and there are also blackout curtains on the windows. There is no fridge in the the room but you do get an ice bucket and 2 glasses. There is an ice machine nearby. A small fridge would be nice for keeping things cool but good effort.

BATHROOM/TOILET:
My only grouse with this place is the bathroom. First the good. It seemed clean the shower is big enough for 2 and features hot and cold water. The water pressure was adequate but not strong. Loved the sink; very modern like a big glass bowl sitting on a glass counter/table top. The toilet worked well.

Now the not-so-good about the Bathroom... there is NO ventilation at all makes for an interesting "situation" in the room after use in terms of scent. The soap dish looked diseased and should be changed. No way I will touch it or put any of my belongings on it. One of the towels provided had an interesting spot on it. It certainly didn't appear totally clean. The shower taps were "interesting" that is all I can say about it... Really...

BREAKFAST:
During my stay breakfast was self-serve. To drink you can have fruit juice, water,coffee or tea. To eat you may have Croissant, or bread (toaster & microwave available), butter, an assortment of jams and cheese. Personally... I approve of the selection.

SUM UP:
This is not a bad spot... I can see myself coming here again if I needed a place that is relatively close to the airport that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Once you have realistic expectations you will be fine. It isn't the Hyatt or Ritz-Carlton so I didn't expect that... But it was clean and comfortable. It is a good spot but there is certainly room for improvement. In truth I will give this hotel a 3.5 but I rounded it up to 4. However I can understand why other travellers may seem disappointed it overall.

Room Tip: This was room 204.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Francis083

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 19 April 2013

the interior is actually better than what it looks from the outside. the rooms were well-furnished and clean. however, for a solo traveler this isn't a very budget-friendly option. that said, trinidad doesn't have too many hosteling options, which makes this place in the trinidadian standard not-very-expensive. i'd still expect something better for that value.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank aviray
St. George's, Grenada
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I reviewed this place last year after staying twice and gave an overall rate of 3. Recently I returned and quickly realized that all the rooms are not the same, as the one I had on my third visit was horrible. The room was hot, had a funny smell, was small, and I totally understood why one reviewer compared it to a motel for a drunken one night stand.

I still think the hotel is an ok stay only if you are looking for something that is inexpensive, close to the airport and if being used when stopping over for a connection flight. I would recommend that you choose room 201 which is the room I stayed on my first two visits. On my this third visit I stayed at room 102 and I realize why the hotel enjoyed such bad reviews from other travelers.

Room Tip: Choose room 201 which is on the first room on the upper flat. Avoid 102!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank krazy_doctor

Travellers are raving about these Port of Spain hotels

Arima, Arima, Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The hotel stay was what I expected for the price. It's not a Marriot or Cascadia or Hyatt because you didn't pay for tha really.

The rooms were generally clean, except of the windows which could use a general cleaning. TV and internet worked fine. From the amenities section, I actually thought the room came with coffee making facility as advertised - not so. So I missed out on the amount of tea I would have liked to drink as I did not want to make numerous trip to the eating area ( I guess from experience, people stole them.... :).

All in all, my overall 4 nights was comfortable and peaceful. I had three friends over for study and they were really quite pleased with it.

Breakfast was the ordinary continental as anywhere else. My only issue is that there could have been at least three choice of fruits instead of one.

Room Tip: See what fits you pocket and expect just what you paid for. Choose a room that fits in to the reaso...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GoldenQueen
St. George's, Grenada
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Stayed at the Palms in October 2012 and my experience was not as bad as many of the reviews I've read here. Chose this hotel because my visit was just for one day and I needed somewhere close to the airport. It located on the eastern main road about 15 mins from the airport and wasn’t difficult to find (I did not have a map) at all. Arrived before check-in and had to wait, so I drove around and had lunch elsewhere.

I got the Caricom national rate which was nice, and I was actually surprised about my room given the reviews I read here. Room was nice, clean and had no funny odor. Bathroom was also clean, hot and cold shower, and there was a hair dryer. There was TV with cable, iron, and hairdryer. My room was on the upper flat and facing the road but there wasn't much of a view. Matter of fact the curtains couldn't be pulled.

The staff was friendly enough, but I didn’t have much interaction. I do remember that they offered a wake-up call which did not happen. The courtyard is just as you see in the pic, very very small and nothing there at all that anyone would want to do. Though I ate out while at this hotel and can’t comment on the quality of the food, I can say that the dining area was very small and seems unappealing.

Overall, I would say this hotel is good if you are on a budget and want to stay close to the airport. If you are looking for a hotel with comfort, great service, and facilities then this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank krazy_doctor
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I recently stayed at the Palms Hotel for three days and was appalled at the service. I arrived at 5:30 pm and found the room to be very hot; the air condition was turned off. I attempted to take a shower and to my dismay there were no washcloths. I called the front desk to complain and was told I have to make a call each time I need a washcloth or an iron. An attendant brought me a hand towel and said that at the time there were no washcloths. The following morning I was told that they had to move me to a different room. They said they overbooked the hotel and they need the upgraded room for a guest who was arriving at 4:00 pm that day. I returned that afternoon and was handed a key for room 204 where my belongings were placed. It is beyond me that the policy of the hotel is to have guests call the front desk to ask for a cheap, flimsy, dingy washcloth each time one is needed. Don’t waste your time to stay at this motel. It is not a hotel as stated.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Not sure where people are getting that this place is nice or ideal. Clearly they have extremely low standards. This motel reminds me of a place you take a drunken 1 night stand or a call girl. The sheets smell, the "courtyard".....Hahahahaha.....please; it's a joke. The breakfast room is just a very small patio with some locally packaged muffins and coffee. The courtyard & breakfast room are the same size as the box motel room; combined.

There is a junk yard directly next to the motel and the place just sucks! Those pics on the website are from when the motel originally opened several years ago. They don't even give you wash cloths and towels in the room.

I've stayed at lots of hotels in Trinidad, but this by far is the worst experience I've ever had.

If you're hooking up for the night, then this is the place to go. Otherwise, save your $125 (US) for somewhere worth the money.

Room Tip: Stick with brand names or recommendations from family members, if available. The Holiday Inn (close...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
#2 of 21 in Port of Spain
Kapok Hotel
Kapok Hotel
#6 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Palm's Hotel Trinidad? Share your experiences!