“Perfect for long-term stays”

Thanna's Place, Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 42 Port of Spain B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect for long-term stays”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I was on business in Port of Spain from May through August 2011 and was looking for a long-term place to stay. When inquiring at many different guesthouses throughout the area, it was easy to choose Thanna's. The owner, Anna, was responsive from the very beginning and promptly answered all of my questions and was quick to address any of my concerns. The reviews of Thanna's were good, and the rates that Thanna's was charging were excellent (compared to the nearly 2,000USD monthly rates of her competitors).

My only concern before I arrived was about the safety. I had heard that Belmont, the area of Port of Spain where Thanna's was located, was not particularly safe. However, Anna was quick to reassure me that Thanna's was in a safe part, and I was comforted to learn that Thanna's was gated, with two locked gates in addition to the lock on my individual room. Also, Anna and her family lived right next door, so if there were ever any problems, they would be close by.

As soon as I arrived, all of my worries disappeared. Anna was extremely friendly and welcoming. Her hospitality was especially touching considering her daughter had given birth on the very day that I arrived! Yet, she went out of her way to make me feel comfortable and to let me get oriented around the neighbourhood.

My room was small, but immaculate, and had everything I needed - a bed, linens, satellite television, and air conditionining. Since I was staying for a longer period, Anna even moved a desk inside so that I would have some working space. The washroom that I used was always clean, and I was given fresh linens whenever I needed. I was given a lockable cupboard in the communal kitchen to store pantry items, and I was invited to make use of the refrigerator for any of my groceries. The kitchen was equipped with everything that one might need, so it was easy to prepare meals for myself. I know that short term guests are treated to breakfast made by Anna in the morning.

Other common areas such as the dining area, sitting areas and garden were always clean and quiet, and I enjoyed making use of them. My only complaint - and it is a slight one - was that the internet was occasionally a little slow; however, during my stay (a year ago) I know Anna was making a business centre in the lower level of the guesthouse, so I expect that would have improved by now.

The location was perfect for me. It was a 10 minute walk for me to get to work. Thanna's is also a short 5 minute walk to the Queen's Park Savannah, a large park where people go jogging, where cricket is played and where many food stalls, concerts, and festivals are held. Surrounding the Savannah are a few good restaurants, a gym, and an arts and music hall where nice concerts can be seen. Thanna's is also relatively close to Woodbrook (a great spot for nightlife in Trinidad), which is about a 20 minute walk away.

Anna is also great at arranging any taxis or transportation that you might need. She is also very knowledgeable about Trinidad, and can make a number of suggestions for sightseeing. Thanks to her, I was able to join an exciting hiking and trekking group during my time in Port of Spain.

Best of all about Thanna's is that you really feel it is your home away from home. Anna and her family are always there to help and make you feel welcome. It was so nice to come home every day from work and see Anna and have a chat with her after a long day. She truly made my stay in Port of Spain an unforgettable one, and I would recommend Thanna's to anyone going to Trinidad - whether for a short trip or long stay. Thanks Anna!

Room Tip: Thanna's has a few different types of rooms - some with twin beds, some with double beds, some w...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank KEJS11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Prospect Park, NJ
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This is my first time in Trinidad. Staying at Thanna's Place was a very good decision I made. The place is very quiet and very clean. Anna and her daughter are so sweet to me. Places of interest are very close by and within walking distance. I highly recommend Thanna's Place for your home away from home stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Floyd F
Miami Beach
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This was our third stay at Thanna's Place. Anna makes the best breakfasts, always including fresh fruit, juice and baked goods. Everything is spotless and the free wi-fi is a plus. The beautiful patio garden is perfect for relaxing after a long day. The neighborhood has everything: convenience stores, a nearby bar, a pizzeria and bakeries. Plus whatever you need is only a question away. If Thanna's is booked we schedule our trip when it's available. We always enjoy our stay and look forward to the next visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beachluv2005
Wigan
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I was working in Port of Spain for 5 days at the beginning of March 2012, I don't like hotels and decided to stay at Thanna's Place,excellent I must say, Thais was great very helpful her omelets for breakfast are to die for, I also liked the security gates, she even emailed me 2 days before arrivel to ask if I needed picking up from the airport, certainly would recommend it
Alan A

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Alan A
Berwyn Heights, Maryland
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed at Thanna's Place for Carnival 2012. It was simply marvelous! Anna, Marina, Thais and all the Thanna's Place family made us feel like we were at our home away from home. We felt more like family members visiting than hotel guests!

They worked with us in advance on our itinerary and helped with all the logistics while we were there, such as airport pick up/drop off, purchasing of tickets for carnival events, driving us to the few destinations that were not within walking distances, suggesting events to attend, arranging tours and travel to Caroni Swamp and Asa Wright Center, etc. etc. etc. The location of Thanna's Place was very convenient to most of the carnival events, the Queen's Park Savanah, and downtown. The accomodations were very clean, the food was great, and the customer service was terrific.

I cannot say enough good things about Thanna's. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and will definately go back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheresaBeck
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at Tanna's place. The service is personalized, they help you to plan your trip, get tickets, rent a car, they give you really good advices. Anna and her daughters are exceptional. The place is well located in town. It safe, convenient, really clean, quiet. I just have good comments for this place. I will certainly go back there, it is one of the best B&B I have been.

I really recommend this place!

Yanick

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Yanick L
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I know the title is a cliche, but it is true. Anna, along with her whole family, is incredibly warm and will do anything to help you on your trip. The rooms are clean and a nice size. Breakfast is home cooked by Anna and very tasty. Her daughter even picked us up from the airport and waited over 1.5 hours extra because our flight was late. Belmont, where the B&B is located, is a nice area and a quick walk to Queen's Park Savannah where you can get street food for dinner. It is also close to some museums and about a 20 min walk to the bus/maxi taxi terminal. She arranged all our taxi rides and gave us directions for every place we needed to go. Anna and her daughter even gave us a hat and umbrella for our walk when it was raining. The only issue we had was that one of the guest's child was very loud and woke us up one morning, which does NOT reflect upon the owners. I'd say this is the perfect place to stay while you are in Port of Spain, Trinidad. I can't wait to return and stay at Thanna's B&B!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends