“Birthday Retreat”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Port of Spain, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
“Birthday Retreat”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Oh wow! It was everything I thought it would be and more. From the very first greeting, to the very last good-bye.
So I had a spa appointment at Spa Esencia, which is also at the Hyatt, at 1pm. But check in wasn't until 3pm. Nevertheless I decided to try my luck. To my surprise Vincent was very willing to accommodate me at 11am. To my delight I was offered a glass of sparkling wine(I thought being my birthday and all), which was usually offered to guest when you check in...lol.
So upstairs I went straight to the gym, which was great. There were towels, bottled water and even fruit if you so desired. My work out was cut short because I just couldn't wait to get into the pool. The pool was a little crowded but overall very nice.
Ok my room was on the top floor (2222) which had the best views of the city's night lights. The bed was very, very, comfy. Almost like sleeping in my own bed. Nice and clean as was expected. I was told that there would be entertainment on the weekend which was a very nice touch to add to the overall experience. Saturday night(birthday night) when I left the hotel to have dinner elsewhere, there was a slice of chocolate cake and happy birthday written on the plate.(Awwww!)
Breakfast was buffet style which was great. Especially the omelette which chef Keron made. Not to mention a variety of fresh fruit and fresh pastries.
Check out was as smooth as was checking in. I even got to stay an extra hour. I so love this hotel. Would surely recommend and I can't wait to stay there again. Thanks Ravi, Vincent, Antonio, Dexter and Jerome and all the crew who made my birthday one to remember.

Room Tip: Room 2222 was at the top floor corner suite. Great views! Ocean views are ok but there is nothing to...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Roxanne L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Czech first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Overall, I found the staff very friendly. The rooms were as to be expected at a Hyatt and the overall facilities we're excellent (great gym, comfortable lounge, tasty restaurant, quality room service etc.) I will definitely stay here the next time I'm in POS for work.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Barbados
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Upon checking into the hotel I was offered champagne or juice, which I thought was excellent (seeing as how they no longer feed you on the plane and I was exhausted and HUNGRY upon arrival), staff was warm and welcoming and I had NO problems getting to my room with all of my luggage because the bellhops packed the bags on a cart and delivered them to the room.

I was VERY impressed with the room when I saw it! LUXURIOUS is one word to describe it!! This is the SEXIEST room I have ever seen! The shower is surrounded by frosted glass and the toilet is separate but the door to the toilet is also frosted glass - leaves no room for the imagination and offers very little privacy tho.

The appliances in the room are great - mini fridge, flat screen t.v., radio with iPod docking station, coffee maker, free wi-fi - the only thing missing was a microwave.

The beds are SUPER comfortable and just hug you when you get in (I wish I could have brought it home with me).

I forgot my deodorant and razor at home and when I called down to front desk they were delivered PROMPTLY, with shaving cream (even though it didn't smell that great) - my underarms thank you immensely.

The service at the bar was BY FAR THE BEST!! The bartenders were very helpful, friendly and EXCELLENT 'Mixologists'. If you stay at this Hotel you MUST go to the bar and order a Cookie Lovers *yummmm*

Breakfast my first day was awful because they ran out of food, but the dining room supervisor/ manager that morning packed some pastries for me to take, as I had to leave on business for 7 am. I made sure this would not happen again by coming down to breakfast EARLY - service begins at 6 and I was there at 5:55 (lol, can't starve a whole day)

It was quite a surprise to me when I realised that people from off the street could just walk into the hotel - which is something I am not accustomed to at home, but seems to be a usual occurrence in T'dad. Also, in the evenings it was quite difficult to get the elevator because of the HUGE influx of guest traffic - I dealt with this by taking the stairs on many occasions (stairs are the healthier option after all).

Service at the Spa was PHENOMENAL! Thanks to Cowana and the tech who did my bikini wax, my first bikini wax was not bad at all!

There was a graduation being hosted at the hotel and I went into the lobby and sat down to view the latest fashions; it was quite entertaining. Afterwards, some of the kiddies checked into a room and had a party - which I could hear in my room, luckily I didn't have to call down to the front desk to complain, as the bed made the night worth it - did I mention that the bed was like floating on a cloud?

One other downside was that their check out time was before I was scheduled to leave and although there was no one checking into the room in which I was staying, I was still forced to check out and I had to stay in the lobby for 4 hrs until it was time for me to leave for the airport.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel to ANYONE and I will be returning!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room to have a beautiful view of the dock
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bajan_Fox
Christ Church Parish, Barbados
Reviewed 10 March 2013

The Hyatt was an experience in professionalism. While prices are high, they are not beyond what you would expect from hotels of similar quality elsewhere (with the exception of the spa prices - I was quite looking forward to giving myself a little treat, but the prices were so outrageous that it'll have to wait). In all good service, excellent food (being at a conference there for 5 days I hardly had time to eat anywhere else, but even the buffet lunches were so good I regretted not brining along my running shoes), quiet, clean rooms with comfortable beds. The pool is small but it's still possible to swim. Only negative comment would be that I do wish they would set more tables outside for breakfast...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Bethlehem
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Great job by Mr.Russell George,his wife and his professional staff.Friendly gretting upon arrival with champagne or wine. Mr. Rondell Juman was very accommodating all the way thru our 28 days of stay. The room was very comfortable with every concierge possible that you can imagine of a very high standard. The cleaning crew would change your bedroom slippers whenever soil without waiting on instruction. The chefs at the waterfront restaurant was awesome with the planning of their meals. My husband and myself gained slot of weight because the food presentation and taste was remarkable. The scenery is to die for.Imagine lying in your bed and actually seeing a ship or water taxi gliding across. Then the different entertainment every night while having your dinner or cocktails. This hotel I would highly recommend to everyone, we enjoyed ourselves so much that we extended our stay to two more weeks and already booked for next year. Their are taxis outside the hotel as well as its situated in an area where you can walk to everything. They usually have there biggest part called "The Lime",where everyone dresses in lime green or white colors with a variety of foods,drinks and. entertainment not to be missed at all. I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of my husband and myself to thank everyone from The Hyatt Regency Hotel for making our stay there a very enjoyable and memorable one.See you all next year please God. We will be back

Room Tip: Every room is a good room. Rooms with balconies are the best
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank madblackwoman
London
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Friendly greeting at reception with the offer of a juice/coconut water/wine as you check in, which welcome after a long flight.
Clean and good quality rooms of the standard you would expect from a Hyatt.
Food service in the bar area was extremely slow, however the supervisor was extremely apologetic, gave us regular updates and removed the price from our bill - so all in all we had no complaints.
Very happy to stay again at the Hyatt when next on the island.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Easton, CT
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Hotel Reception: Our family arrived (17 in all) and were greeted with wine/juice. Check in was seemless and the staff were very accomodating. Prior to our stay, I had emailed the hotel directly to request rooms with 2 double beds (I had made the reservation via Priceline, which doesn't allow for such requests) and with a prompt reply, I was assured that this would be arranged. Upon arrival, we all requested ocean view rooms which, again, we were easily accomodated.

The rooms were standard. The infinity pool, restaurant, lobby and outdoor spaces were all very comfortable. We utilized the services of the concierge to arrange a tour of the city and a private tour of the Cocoa Research facility. Although the concierge had scant more knowledge than we did with our guide book, he was very eager to help.

We ate at the hotel's breakfast buffet which had an excellent selection of quality local and continental dishes. The buffet dinner seemed pricey for the few selections offered, so we dined using the bar/lounge menu.

Please note that while the hotel is lovely, the city, is not. When booking our family holiday to Trinidad and Tobago I never thought much about crime, however, it's a regular part of daily life in Trinidad. The headline in the newspaper our 1st day "58 murders in the first 43 days of 2013", the next day, the headline about a "human head left at a bar". We inquired around and everyone we met seemed to have a story of a personal crime (robbery, assault) within the past week or two. We were also warned not to stray too far from the hotel.

With this knowledge, there is almost nothing within walking distance unless you want to hire a car. We tried to go to dinner and without renting 4 cabs (there were 17 of us), there was nothing in the area, ESPECIALLY at night. This is not a reflection of the hotel, and at no time did we feel unsafe there, the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere

Been to Hyatt Regency Trinidad? Share your experiences!