“Best option in Port of Spain..”

Hyatt Regency Trinidad
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This was the first time I've stayed in a hotel when visiting Trinidad - normally I stay with family members but my fiancé and I didn't want to impose during the Christmas season and also wanted some privacy and romantic time just the two of us. Anyway.. we arrived late on Christmas Day and given that I have a Trini passport we were given a special rate that included breakfast - ok great! The check-in agent also upgrade us to a higher floor, which we also really appreciated. We were a little surprised that the wifi wasn't included in the rate - but wha yuh guh do?

The room was just ok..the bamboo floors don't do it any justice in my opinion - they show a lot of wear and tear,,and the room did look worn in a couple of places (it def needed a fresh coat of paint)..but I suppose I don't expect as much when staying in Trinidad..even if it is at an international chain,,I just know that the standards are different in the Caribbean. But everything else was ok..the view was nice, there was more than enough room to store our belongings, the open plan layout allowed for movement and space, and the shower in the middle of the room..was quite……provocative. ;)

Breakfast in the morning was fantastic, with a ton of of healthy, not-so-healthy, and local options! We were actually surprised to see how busy the hotel was given the time of year. I suppose we weren't the only ones who chose to stay at the Hilton over staying with family. ;) Service was also quick, efficient, and friendly..Oh and we also frequented the coffee bar/cafe downstairs to get our morning cup of joe. Nice touch!

The gym was a good size, although the cardio machines were a little dated. As this is a business hotel, I really expected more from their gym. But again, it was satisfactory for our short stay there. If I was a business traveler and not a leisure traveler, I might have been a bit frustrated.

The infinity pool area was nice, and they have a few lounge chairs to relax in as well both in the sun and in the shade. I expected it to be more "adults only" than it was,,but there happened to be a lot of young families there during our stay. My fiancé didn't really appreciate the loud soca music or the kids running around and splashing (he is British after all),,but not much you can do about that! Can't doc the hotel for it's guests. The drinks were great (he had beer, I had mixed cocktails)..as was the food..order the fish tacos!

We drank at the lobby bar almost every night..and while the prices were steep (what do you expect?) the drinks were good. The roasted bar nuts were delicious as was the hummus appetizer we had. We did have a few sushi rolls as well during our stay which were surprisingly good. The service staff was friendly, although not super enthusiastic like other Caribbean islands i've been to - it's Trinidad after all, which isn't a tourist hot spot.

The hotel is located within close proximity to Downtown, which can be a little sketchy..but truthfully that is the case for all of Trinidad. It's not exactly an island where you can walk around very much. It is much more advisable to drive - unless you are one of those really adventurous types. That being said, there is a "breakfast shed" just a few steps from the hotel that serves delicious local food. Unfortunately it was closed during our stay, but I really recommend anyone staying at the Hyatt go there for at least one local Trini meal!

Our stay in the Hyatt was just ok, not the most memorable - it is a typical business hotel and definitely geared toward the business traveller..but it served its purpose and is probably the best option in Port of Spain. I wish there were more guest houses and B&Bs options in TNT but hopefully that will come in time. If we make it back to Trinidad this is probably where we will stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an ocean view..and as high up as possible..duh!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danielle M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,244)

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This was my first stay at a Hyatt hotel that wasn't at the airport!
I found the staff excellent - friendly, helpful.
Our flight from Miami had to be moved to the following day because of a late flight from New York. I called the hotel and even though it was past the time I could change the reservation without penalty, our reservation was amended at no extra charge. Also, on arrival, our credit card did not work - the staff attending to us was quite patient, trying the card several times, waiting while we went to the cash machine.... he was patient, understanding even and trying to lighten the mood.
There were no kids' activities - my 1 point below does not mean terrible, but means that nothing for kids to do specifically. Luckily, my kids are content to be in the pool all day if we let them.
The rooms were spacious, clean and my kids found the open plan layout fascinating - no door shutting off/separating the shower area?! Wow!!
The food was great, the variety worthy of a Buffet and the desserts were heavenly. Thanks Chef for my special order of fried plantains at lunch even though it wasn't part of the buffet that day.
They had live music at lunch - at least the Sunday we had lunch at the hotel. Beautiful music too.
All in all, a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are pricier but worth the view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Was a quick visit, but was very impressed with the rooms - the room was spacious and very comfortable.

I needed help to resolve a power connection issue and was refered to so many people, finally I went to the front office and spoke to a clerk who assisted me. It took about an hour to get an adapter.

Apart from that all is good.

The food and service in the restaurant were excellent. Only trouble - it is about 2 hours away from airport.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael I
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I attended a conference that was held in the hotel and it was a good choice. The venue is great and so are service and food. Rooms are also good and offer a good view of Port of Spain. Breakfast comes with many options.

1  Thank Junsjc
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our trip was April 2-6 2014. This hotel was wonderful! The room is very clean, a very nice size, and very modern. We loved the peek-a-boo shower in the middle of the room. Speaking of the shower, the overhead rain shower head was amazing. The bed and pillows were comfortable. I've been to quite a few "island" hotels, and their standards don't usually measure up to American standards, but this hotel did! It was very clean, updated and comfortable. We had a great view of the ocean which was nice, but I wish we had known there was no beach. The infinity pool on the 4th floor was amazing; A little cold, but its really nice and fun to look at against the ocean. Upon check-in we were offered water, juice or sparkling wine (we chose the wine of course), and it was delicious. We got a business package added to our room which included internet for up to 6 devices, breakfast for 2, free local calls, and 1 item of laundry service each and the cost was $50 per day. It was well worth it, we were able to call and schedule all tours without having to pay per call. Breakfast was buffet style or you could order ala carte. We ate from the buffet and everything was delicious. They had an omelet stand, fresh fruit, pastries, cereal, eggs, bacon/sausage, pancakes, red potatoes, and a few local dishes. We ordered room service one night which was just mediocre. The bar, the store Cinnamon, and the dinner restaurant are all very convenient. The hotel is walking distance from downtown Port of Spain, so at some points we didnt require the expensive cab rides. Cabbies typically hangout across the street from the hotel, so its never a hassle to get a cab. The only downfall to taking a cab, is the cost. A cab ride anywhere is fairly expensive, to the airport is $30 one way, to Maracas Bay is $100 rt, to The Avenue is $24rt. The cabbies are making a killing. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. The concierge was knowledgeable and helped us with organizing ferry rides and flights to and from Tobago. Overall this hotel not only meets all your needs, it by far exceeds them! This was by far the best hotel on an Island I have patroned and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Trinidad.

Room Tip: The ocean view is not really worth it, put the extra money towards the business package instead.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank str8foward
Reviewed 13 April 2014

First time at this Hyatt and was welcomed at check in with choice of water, juice or champagne. It was too early for the juice or water. Friendly staff but few of them on reception at busy periods. Lobby area has atmosphere, as it leads straight out to the large deck with comfy seating overlooking the the port. Excellent waiting staff who are happy to joke and serve reasonably promptly for the Caribbean. This is a business hotel so I assume that little extra edge matters. Room was spacious and comfortable with good WiFi throughout. Bed very comfortable. Small pool for more chilling out in than swimming. Gym OK too. Did not try the Spa. Friendly bar staff who introduced me to a power drink, Guinness, milk, banana, bitters, and other stuff. Like a non sweet thick shake, tasted great.Breakfast buffet was generally fine.

2  Thank GVLtravel
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Our family stayed here for a few nights before commuting back to Canada. This is one of the BEST hotels and we have stayed at several. The accommodations and food are terrific. They have an excellent breakfast with lots of variety. The hotel staff is very accommodating and ensure your stay is very comfortable. Booking a seaside view is an absolute must! The rooms are beautiful with an open concept which makes the rooms feel very inviting. The pool area is very scenic and gorgeous. The only negative feedback would be the pool which is just too cold which makes it uncomfortable to swim in for an extended period of time. Overall, We enjoyed are stay and would most definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Seaside View if possible with a balcony
1  Thank love2travelkek
34 mi away
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere

Been to Hyatt Regency Trinidad? Share your experiences!