“Good for business travelling” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Regency Trinidad

Hyatt Regency Trinidad
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Good for business travelling”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Spent several nights at the Hyatt Regency in Port of Spain. The rooms are great, they are big, clean, quiet and excellent for work (not least since the WiFi was extremely fast).

There are both pool and fitness room. Breakfast is fine. The number of employees is incredible.

A few things did not work well, however. Firstly, there were problems with assistance regarding the printing of a boardingpass (a minor matter - but the fact that they could simply not find out how to do it was surprising). Secondly, you shall only address questions to those in the reception since other members of staff may be happy to answer your queries ... but the answers may be clearly wrong. Thirdly, the service level differed considerably in the breakfast restaurant - from excellent to horrendous. And lastly, dinner in town is more attractive than dinner at the hotel.

Under normal circumstances I would be ready to return to the place ... but I also found a small and basic hotel somewhat away from the centre - and would certainly go there if I were to return to Port of Spain since the service in this small hotel was outstanding.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Czech first
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a typical large Hyatt hotel, with the sort of amenities and service one would expect. My reservation did not included Internet and breakfast, so I had to buy those in the so-called "business package" for US$35 per day. Check-in was fast and friendly. The room was quite spacious, new and nicely appointed. Amenities include a coffeemaker, unstocked fridge, hair dryer, clothes iron, bathrobes, toiletries. It has a nice work desk, with wired internet (you can use WiFi as well). The room layout was odd, OK for a couple, but inconvenient if you are sharing a room with a friend or coworker. That's because the shower stall is in the middle of the room, enclosed by translucent glass. The toilet space also has a glass door, so it doesn't offer a lot of privacy... That was not an issue for me because I was staying by myself, even though the room has two beds. However, I found it a bit disconcerting. The beds were comfortable, with nice linens. Nice towels, too. The air conditioning temperature seems to work on its own, and the room would get a tad too warm at times. The windows don't open. My room overlooked the harbor, but there is not much to look at, simply a flat sea and a few anchored ships. There is a rooftop swimming pool, which is not at the top of the building as I thought at first, but at a much lower level, at one side of the building. The common areas are spacious and comfortable, including a terrace at the ground level, next to the "boardwalk", which is a rather short paved strip at the waterfront, which runs between the port facilities and the water taxi terminal at the other end. Other than the small boardwalk, one can't really walk anywhere. The area near the hotel has congested streets and an unattractive mix of businesses that makes one think that Port of Spain has no land zoning laws at all. Basically, your only place to have a drink or eat something in the immediate area is in the hotel itself. They do offer a fair variety of food and drinks. Breakfast is also very good. Other than that, you need wheels to find a nice bar or restaurant. The ride to the airport is not that long, about 30 minutes in normal traffic, and the taxi fare is US$30.

Room Tip: Waterfront rooms have a nicer view. The others face the downtown area.
1 Thank Karl K
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

This was the first time I've stayed in a hotel when visiting Trinidad - normally I stay with family members but my fiancé and I didn't want to impose during the Christmas season and also wanted some privacy and romantic time just the two of us. Anyway.. we arrived late on Christmas Day and given that I have a Trini passport we were given a special rate that included breakfast - ok great! The check-in agent also upgrade us to a higher floor, which we also really appreciated. We were a little surprised that the wifi wasn't included in the rate - but wha yuh guh do?

The room was just ok..the bamboo floors don't do it any justice in my opinion - they show a lot of wear and tear,,and the room did look worn in a couple of places (it def needed a fresh coat of paint)..but I suppose I don't expect as much when staying in Trinidad..even if it is at an international chain,,I just know that the standards are different in the Caribbean. But everything else was ok..the view was nice, there was more than enough room to store our belongings, the open plan layout allowed for movement and space, and the shower in the middle of the room..was quite……provocative. ;)

Breakfast in the morning was fantastic, with a ton of of healthy, not-so-healthy, and local options! We were actually surprised to see how busy the hotel was given the time of year. I suppose we weren't the only ones who chose to stay at the Hilton over staying with family. ;) Service was also quick, efficient, and friendly..Oh and we also frequented the coffee bar/cafe downstairs to get our morning cup of joe. Nice touch!

The gym was a good size, although the cardio machines were a little dated. As this is a business hotel, I really expected more from their gym. But again, it was satisfactory for our short stay there. If I was a business traveler and not a leisure traveler, I might have been a bit frustrated.

The infinity pool area was nice, and they have a few lounge chairs to relax in as well both in the sun and in the shade. I expected it to be more "adults only" than it was,,but there happened to be a lot of young families there during our stay. My fiancé didn't really appreciate the loud soca music or the kids running around and splashing (he is British after all),,but not much you can do about that! Can't doc the hotel for it's guests. The drinks were great (he had beer, I had mixed cocktails)..as was the food..order the fish tacos!

We drank at the lobby bar almost every night..and while the prices were steep (what do you expect?) the drinks were good. The roasted bar nuts were delicious as was the hummus appetizer we had. We did have a few sushi rolls as well during our stay which were surprisingly good. The service staff was friendly, although not super enthusiastic like other Caribbean islands i've been to - it's Trinidad after all, which isn't a tourist hot spot.

The hotel is located within close proximity to Downtown, which can be a little sketchy..but truthfully that is the case for all of Trinidad. It's not exactly an island where you can walk around very much. It is much more advisable to drive - unless you are one of those really adventurous types. That being said, there is a "breakfast shed" just a few steps from the hotel that serves delicious local food. Unfortunately it was closed during our stay, but I really recommend anyone staying at the Hyatt go there for at least one local Trini meal!

Our stay in the Hyatt was just ok, not the most memorable - it is a typical business hotel and definitely geared toward the business traveller..but it served its purpose and is probably the best option in Port of Spain. I wish there were more guest houses and B&Bs options in TNT but hopefully that will come in time. If we make it back to Trinidad this is probably where we will stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an ocean view..and as high up as possible..duh!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Danielle M
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

This was my first stay at a Hyatt hotel that wasn't at the airport!
I found the staff excellent - friendly, helpful.
Our flight from Miami had to be moved to the following day because of a late flight from New York. I called the hotel and even though it was past the time I could change the reservation without penalty, our reservation was amended at no extra charge. Also, on arrival, our credit card did not work - the staff attending to us was quite patient, trying the card several times, waiting while we went to the cash machine.... he was patient, understanding even and trying to lighten the mood.
There were no kids' activities - my 1 point below does not mean terrible, but means that nothing for kids to do specifically. Luckily, my kids are content to be in the pool all day if we let them.
The rooms were spacious, clean and my kids found the open plan layout fascinating - no door shutting off/separating the shower area?! Wow!!
The food was great, the variety worthy of a Buffet and the desserts were heavenly. Thanks Chef for my special order of fried plantains at lunch even though it wasn't part of the buffet that day.
They had live music at lunch - at least the Sunday we had lunch at the hotel. Beautiful music too.
All in all, a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are pricier but worth the view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Was a quick visit, but was very impressed with the rooms - the room was spacious and very comfortable.

I needed help to resolve a power connection issue and was refered to so many people, finally I went to the front office and spoke to a clerk who assisted me. It took about an hour to get an adapter.

Apart from that all is good.

The food and service in the restaurant were excellent. Only trouble - it is about 2 hours away from airport.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael I
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I attended a conference that was held in the hotel and it was a good choice. The venue is great and so are service and food. Rooms are also good and offer a good view of Port of Spain. Breakfast comes with many options.

1 Thank Junsjc
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our trip was April 2-6 2014. This hotel was wonderful! The room is very clean, a very nice size, and very modern. We loved the peek-a-boo shower in the middle of the room. Speaking of the shower, the overhead rain shower head was amazing. The bed and pillows were comfortable. I've been to quite a few "island" hotels, and their standards don't usually measure up to American standards, but this hotel did! It was very clean, updated and comfortable. We had a great view of the ocean which was nice, but I wish we had known there was no beach. The infinity pool on the 4th floor was amazing; A little cold, but its really nice and fun to look at against the ocean. Upon check-in we were offered water, juice or sparkling wine (we chose the wine of course), and it was delicious. We got a business package added to our room which included internet for up to 6 devices, breakfast for 2, free local calls, and 1 item of laundry service each and the cost was $50 per day. It was well worth it, we were able to call and schedule all tours without having to pay per call. Breakfast was buffet style or you could order ala carte. We ate from the buffet and everything was delicious. They had an omelet stand, fresh fruit, pastries, cereal, eggs, bacon/sausage, pancakes, red potatoes, and a few local dishes. We ordered room service one night which was just mediocre. The bar, the store Cinnamon, and the dinner restaurant are all very convenient. The hotel is walking distance from downtown Port of Spain, so at some points we didnt require the expensive cab rides. Cabbies typically hangout across the street from the hotel, so its never a hassle to get a cab. The only downfall to taking a cab, is the cost. A cab ride anywhere is fairly expensive, to the airport is $30 one way, to Maracas Bay is $100 rt, to The Avenue is $24rt. The cabbies are making a killing. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. The concierge was knowledgeable and helped us with organizing ferry rides and flights to and from Tobago. Overall this hotel not only meets all your needs, it by far exceeds them! This was by far the best hotel on an Island I have patroned and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Trinidad.

Room Tip: The ocean view is not really worth it, put the extra money towards the business package instead.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere
Cara Suites - Pointe a Pierre

Been to Hyatt Regency Trinidad? Share your experiences!