“Simply The Best Hotel Trinidad Has To Offer”

Hyatt Regency Trinidad
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I am a local resident of Trinidad and Tobago and have spent many nights at the Hyatt Regency Trinidad the most recent was for New Year's in their Regency Suite on the 19th Floor. There is not one thing I could say about this hotel that may be of the negative side as everything is always up to the highest standard from the cleanliness of the room to the welcoming smile of their staff who remembers you whenever you are in their presence. The Regency Club is simply the best when it comes to the afternoon drinks in their self service bar. State-of-the-Art Gym to burn of their delicious and mind boggling food in the Waterfront Restaurant and spectacular views of the harbor from the 4th floor infinity pool where you could see the local inter island ferries and water taxis make their commute. I would advise any one who is heading to Port-of-Spain to stay at the Hyatt Regency Trinidad, you won't regret it and would always want to come back again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Firedemon101
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Trinidad

Reviewed 7 February 2011

Hotel staff is very courteous and friendly. They will do just about anything for you, BUT: Check you bill and verify all charges, on my 1 night stay there was an incident of service provided with a charge that was not advised.
Not satisfied with concierge services at all, concierge did not want to provide any information prior to arrival. This hindered planning my 1-big night in town. When at the hotel, concierge provided incorrect info on steelpan yard and mascamp location and times.
We were assigned a room with ocean view. Looks like all ocean view rooms had unobstructed full water views. Great view was actually of the rode with ships at anchorage. Hotel is directly next to a container port with freighters coming and going all through the day and night. This provides nice scenery, no noise or other negative distractions. Only corner rooms have small balconies with illogical layout. Our balcony was on side towards the port and at night there was noticeable noise from air-conditioning units on rooftops of port service buildings. Try to get a balconies on the south wall facing office and government buildings instead.
Bring lots of USD $5 and $10 bills. Need a taxi to go even 2 blocks as entire Port of Spain area is determined unsafe due to armed robberies specifically after dark. All taxi rates are in USD (not in TTD $ - weird, right?). Beware: Taxies are not marked and do not have meters, to return to hotel, call hotel and request a car to be dispatched to come pick you.......
Given the Port of Spain location and all the negative crap that comes with it, the hotel itself is very nice, very clean, presents a safe and pleasant ambience, it even has a pretty cornice type walkway along the waterfront and walk to/from ferry port.
Club is very nice offering sodas all day with hot hors d'oeuvres and fine selection of wine and liquors during cocktail time. (consider upgrading!)
Lobby bar with outside terrace has live music nightly and provides a little haven of tranquility.
If I ever have the need to overnight in Port of Spain again, I will certainly stay at Hyatt no hesitation at all! If I don’t specifically need to stay in Port of Spain however, I will check out the city of San Fernando or stay a beach instead.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex E
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Just returned from another wonderful weekend spent at the Hyatt Trinidad. The management and the staff get it! We were greeted by name and every member of staff that we encountered, whether front desk, housekeeping, restaurant or spa greeted us with a smile and went out of their way to make our stay better. Right from the start we felt important, which is something you want to feel while on vacation. Comparing our initial visit to our most recent, the management and staff have made tremendous strides. Can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank smithkj123
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Probably my favourite Hyatt so far. The room was very nice. It did get some time to get used to the shower in the middle of the room, but otherwise it was great. The hotel is right in the middle of Port-of-Spain which enabled us to get around the city well. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall a good experience!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Helen H
Reviewed 23 January 2011

The Hyatt is an excellent place to stay if you're in POS but their staf.... It could be me but I had a very bad experience at the restaurant of the hotel as myself and my husband were waiting for our table and the hostesses decided to skip us and give our table to other people. I was really confused and asked them why did that happen and they pretty much ignored me. Apart from that experience, the hotel is lovely, great rooms.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat_in_Jamaica
Reviewed 19 January 2011

My husband and I stayed here three nights and was impressed by the service we received. Everyone we came into contact with went out of their way to see our needs were taken care of. A gentleman by the name of "Weekly" was outstanding and remembered our names everytime we came across him.

The rooms are beautiful, modern and clean. The beds and bedding so comfortable. The restaurants superb. (Unless the breakfast buffet is included in your room price I would just order off the menu. Buffet is a bit overpriced) The view from the pool, awesome.

The manager has a social time poolside on Tuesday evening. Drinks and hors d'oeuvres are free at the pool bar area. The lobby bar serves dinner and has live entertainment nightly. One night was a DJ with lots of dancing on the boardwalk overlooking the ocean. It seems some of the locals use the Hyatt restaurants as a place to dine for special occasions. We saw a few celebrating anniversaries and such. Very nice.

The place is great and actually reasonably priced for Trinidad.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Flyfreely
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I am working on a long-term project in Trinidad. I decided to fly my wife down from Virginia to be with me over Christmas. I booked a weekend package at the Hyatt in downtown Port of Spain, Trinidad. I also booked a Deep Tissue Massage for my wife for a Christmas present at the in-house spa.

From the moment we checked in to the moment we left, we were treated very, very well. The Customer Service was First rate, the cleanliness beyond expectations, the attention to detail was superb. But above all, the friendliness and willingness to go the "extra mile" by everyone on staff was just incomparable. My wife was very well attended to and enjoyed the time in the spa very much. If it wasn't for the Christmas Holiday and the fact the spa personnel needed some well-deserved time with their families, I would have booked further services for her. The spa, totally understandably, was closed for Christmas Day

The Hyatt organization but above all the Hyatt General Manager in Port of Spain has to be congratulated for maintaining extremely high standards for comfort, ease, service and an absolutely fantastic atmosphere for a customer to relax and enjoy the moment.

Two, very huge, thumbs up!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere

Been to Hyatt Regency Trinidad? Share your experiences!