“Good food, but overpriced.”
Review of Apsara Restaurant

Apsara Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 168 Restaurants in Port of Spain
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2014

There is a fine range of dishes to choose from and unlike most restaurants in Trinidad there is a great selection for vegetarians. The service is good and the portions are more than adequate. The food is more like you would find in Delhi or London rather than the normal Caribbean Indian experience. Everything was fine until we saw the bill. Service charges are added at the end and another 20% on top before even considering a tip can come as a shock.

1  Thank Dannyxb

Reviewed 1 June 2014

After more than 5 years in T&T, always hearing that this is THE place to eat indian food, my husband and I decided finally to go for lunch in March 2014... and what a deception!!! First - the restaurant is in a sort of basement, with no windows. When you come from the outside, the heat and sun, it's a bit strange to find yourself with no windows and AC much too cold (as often in T&T).
We were the only ones beside a table of four persons, whereof three left after a short while, leaving the forth eat alone and bring the rest of the ordered food in lunch boxes... so the 2 of us with only one other person in the whole of the restaurant?! A bit eerie...
Before going I had been on their web site and seen they had an Apsara lunch special. Perfect I thought - this is probably what they serve most and should be fresh and good. NO. I chose Haldi Chilli Fish: Fish marinated in haldi chilli sauce and cooked on tawa as a starter. The fish was hardly enough cooked, a bit 'jelly' in consistence. Not great at all. Then I had fish as a main course (Fish Amritsari: Lentil crusted fish fillet, in homemade Makhani sauce with a hint of fenugreek) that had the same problem as the starter. The sauces/spices were not anything special. And as a top of it all - here are the choices of desserts on the menu for this lunch special: Chocolate Truffle Cake, Gulab Jamoon, Crème Caramel, Home Made Ice Cream. And what did the waiter tell us? Only Home made ice cream was available, and not only that - only one flavour was available (some alcohol ice - punch de creme/eggnog?). Finally he accepted to give me coconut ice cream as part of the menu (but clearly as a favour). With this we had still and sparkling water to drink and some nans... and it all came to a total of more than 500 ttd for two persons!!!!!
Very disappointing.
As a 'plus' - after we ordered, we were witness to 4-5 men (cooks included) transporting a fridge or freezer through the corridor, along the dining area during lunch hours??!! Just hoped (but not sure at all) the cooks washed their hands when they got back to the kitchen...

Frankly - go to the indian retaurant at the foodcourt of Long Circular - take-away - much better and less pricy!!! The food and the nans there are way better than what we got at Apsara for lunch!

2  Thank carib_cricri
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I really dont understand why this place has sucha a great references. I was there three times. AC is so strong its allways too cold. Food portions are small for the price and the menu is not very clear on what is what you are ordering if you are not familiar with hindu foods. Only liked the seeet pita bread. I would recommend other indian restaurants in Trinidad like Gazal, for example,

3  Thank NeraGarciaMuro
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

If you are in the mood for authentic Indian cuisine or just don't know what to eat, visit Apsara!!! I have been going there for years and never have I been disappointed. The food is always delicious (the whole point of a restaurant). The price is reasonable enough you won't be going everyday so splurge!! There is a lot of variety on the menu and all the items are sublime.I highly recommend a visit. I could talk about service and atmosphere but the food makes up for any short comings believe me!!!!!

1  Thank Candice C
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Trinidad has a large Indian population close to 48%. But, If you want the best authentic Indian food in an atmosphere that takes you straight to Bombay then this is the place.
Service is excellent, The taste is unique. This is what eating out is all about you truly get an experience. Be cautious if you are not used to spicy food this food is very spicy in the best way imaginable.