Where shall I begin?! Although check-in took about half an hour due to a malfunctioning computer (which the hotel should upgrade), I did not mind much at that point because the guy checking us in was rather pleasant.
My first issue arose later on in the evening. At check-in we were told that the pool does not close. On arrival at the pool area, there was a sign up stating that the pool hours were 9am to 9pm. However, at about 7:30pm, the pool was shut off and we were told by security that the pool is closed and needed to be vacated until morning. This was a bit upsetting but again, we decided to let it slide.
The following morning we headed to pool only to be greeted with dead cockroaches and other dead insects in the pool along which a few pierce of garbage (I guess it is cleaned later in the afternoon???) and who I assume was a member of the ground staff (possibly gardener) with a terrible attitude.
We were told on several occasions by security and the gardener to keep quiet in the pool (mind you we were with children) while the pool occupants on the previous day and the evening of our departure were also very loud and was told nothing.
Half an hour prior to our departure from the hotel (11:30am), our door was knocked by security stating "I came to remind you that check out time is 12 o'clock and if we are not by the desk at 12 o'clock we will not get our deposit back." It should be noted, that the stated check-out time was 12 noon. At check-in, we were not told that it is the hotel's policy to hold deposits if a guest is not at the front desk at exactly 12 noon. (I have NEVER experienced this at any other hotel within or outside of Trinidad and Tobago). There is apparently no grace period.
I was disgusted by the level of service received by the individual checking us out.
1. Instead of picking up the phone to give the reminder as is the custom everywhere else, she sent the security?!
2. She began raising her voice at us and the guy who checked us in, in our presence with children present (at the check-in counter). I would think any hotel employee (or anyone in the service industry on a whole) would know this is a definite no-no.
3. She refused to refund our deposit although we were there at exactly 12 noon. It took a call to the owner for the refund to be made.
On the plus side, everything you would possibly need during your stay is within walking distance and the employee checking us in was friendly. The room was also clean and additional towels were provided on request.
Essentially, had I not had this encounter with that particular employee who was at the front desk at the time of check-out, I may have considered returning to Royal Palm Suite Hotel. I highly recommend that she be sent for customer service training before more guests are lost at her hands. The hotel needs some renovations and to be upgraded but my biggest turn-off was that particular employee
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Palm Suite Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Palm Hotel Maraval
- Royal Palm Suite Maraval
- Royal Palm Suite Hotel Trinidad/Maraval