“TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Maraval
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Where shall I begin?! Although check-in took about half an hour due to a malfunctioning computer (which the hotel should upgrade), I did not mind much at that point because the guy checking us in was rather pleasant.

My first issue arose later on in the evening. At check-in we were told that the pool does not close. On arrival at the pool area, there was a sign up stating that the pool hours were 9am to 9pm. However, at about 7:30pm, the pool was shut off and we were told by security that the pool is closed and needed to be vacated until morning. This was a bit upsetting but again, we decided to let it slide.

The following morning we headed to pool only to be greeted with dead cockroaches and other dead insects in the pool along which a few pierce of garbage (I guess it is cleaned later in the afternoon???) and who I assume was a member of the ground staff (possibly gardener) with a terrible attitude.

We were told on several occasions by security and the gardener to keep quiet in the pool (mind you we were with children) while the pool occupants on the previous day and the evening of our departure were also very loud and was told nothing.

Half an hour prior to our departure from the hotel (11:30am), our door was knocked by security stating "I came to remind you that check out time is 12 o'clock and if we are not by the desk at 12 o'clock we will not get our deposit back." It should be noted, that the stated check-out time was 12 noon. At check-in, we were not told that it is the hotel's policy to hold deposits if a guest is not at the front desk at exactly 12 noon. (I have NEVER experienced this at any other hotel within or outside of Trinidad and Tobago). There is apparently no grace period.

I was disgusted by the level of service received by the individual checking us out.

1. Instead of picking up the phone to give the reminder as is the custom everywhere else, she sent the security?!

2. She began raising her voice at us and the guy who checked us in, in our presence with children present (at the check-in counter). I would think any hotel employee (or anyone in the service industry on a whole) would know this is a definite no-no.

3. She refused to refund our deposit although we were there at exactly 12 noon. It took a call to the owner for the refund to be made.

On the plus side, everything you would possibly need during your stay is within walking distance and the employee checking us in was friendly. The room was also clean and additional towels were provided on request.

Essentially, had I not had this encounter with that particular employee who was at the front desk at the time of check-out, I may have considered returning to Royal Palm Suite Hotel. I highly recommend that she be sent for customer service training before more guests are lost at her hands. The hotel needs some renovations and to be upgraded but my biggest turn-off was that particular employee

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Denise D
susan345, Public Relations Manager at Royal Palm Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Hello: I am sorry to see that you had such a poor customer service experience. Firstly the computer mouse had a problem which was fixed (replaced) within a few hours. I apologise for the staff member in question. The problem has since been addressed.
I believe that other guests in the hotel were complaining about the level of noise your party was making and that was why the security asked you on several occasions to keep the noise level down.
As you will appreciate, the hotel is for the quiet enjoyment of ALL guests and we must be mindful and considerate for others as well. This is a good lesson for children especially.

I thank you for your patronage and hope you will return again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We'd seen the poor reviews before booking here (through no alternative), but made the hotel aware of this in advance by email, and challenged them to prove otherwise, and whether this is what made the difference, we'll never know, but our room facing the pool/pharmacy was totally acceptable. We stayed in 5 places in T&T over 3 weeks, and this was no better or worse. Yes, all of them could have done with some modernisation or maintenance, but the bed here was firm and the sheets clean; the shower was clean with new soap and with decent water pressure; clean towels were provided, unbidden, after 2 days, and the room door locked securely...and we certainly didn't see any cockroaches.

On the downside, it took a painfully slow 20 minutes to check-in (with no queue); the pillows were a bit bobbly; the curtains could do with being much thicker to block out daylight, the TV reception was dire (we wanted to watch Carnival highlights etc), and we too took great exception to be charged $5TT per minute for phone calls and $20US for WiFi (your business clients might want to download files, but us Carnival goers just want to check emails and Google a few things). The room cost was excessively high, but who wouldn't crank up the prices with one of the world's greatest parties on their doorstep?

The location is good for Carnival, and we never felt unsafe, even when walking home at night. There is a supermarket and pharmacy right opposite, and we could easily flag down a taxi or maxi-taxi when we weren't walking. Overall we were pleasantly surprised with our stay.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BazLoz
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Stayed here because it was the only hotel on the island that still had available rooms for Carnival 2013. Now I know why. This hotel was THE WORST I've ever stayed in!. I stayed 3 nights and housekeeping never cleaned the room. There was still trash in there from the previous guest. The water was intermittent, the telephone in my room didn't work and the front desk had the nerve to charge me to use their phone. The restaurant never opened the entire time I was there. I asked to talk to the manager to discuss the deplorable conditions and he was never available - FOR 3 DAYS! The rest of the staff sat around talking and watching TV and acted as if the guests were intruding on their time when asked for anything.

Room Tip: Get a room at some other hotel. If all are sold out, sleep in your rental car rather than stay here...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank RichardK938
susan345, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Palm Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
I must say that I have no idea what this guest is speaking about.
Firstly all telephone lines were closed for the carnival period because of the difficulty to manage the telephone charges for guests sharing the same room. Guests were told that for the period they would have to pay for telephone charges up front before making a call.
All guests were sent letters of confirmation where they were told prior to their arrival that the wifi had a cost of $100 TTD (less than $16.00 usd) for unlimited use of the internet for their entire stay.
No promise was made to give anyone breakfast and to open one of the restaurants on the compound as opposed to another. There were several eating places on the compound that were open. Buccaneer's Cove restaurant only opened to cater for large groups at that point in time.

If there was a problem to have your room cleaned, then you could have telephoned the front desk and ask for service. Some guests specifically requested no service. Some asked for late service. People who slept very late were told that housekeeping hours finished at 6pm and fresh towels could be collected at the frontdesk. However, housekeeping staff was on the compound after hours and you could have requested to have the room cleaned.

I would like to know where you saw staff sitting around and watching TV because I was on the compound the entire period and I saw staff working. What TV? Where? Please enlighten me.

I believe that your problem was not wanting to pay for the internet, then you made everything a problem, including the uncalled for remark about the restaurant. Who promised to open one restaurant as opposed to another?

Travellers are raving about these Maraval hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 February 2013

During my stay this carnival season it was DEFINITELY an experience to remember, For beginners there is NO taxi service there available for when you need it. If you want the hotel to call a taxi for you, it's 5tt per minute. YES!!! YOU the guest have to pay the hotel for them to call you a cab. The phone in the room did NOT work, the tv had TWO channels (mind you it's supposed to be cable). We killed two roaches, one when we checked in on the FIRST DAY and one a day later. Just do yourself a favor and don't stay here. You'll be pissed at the money you spend for the service that is rendered to you.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Manda A
susan345, Public Relations Manager at Royal Palm Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
I am sorry to see that you have placed such a negative review of the Royal Palm Hotel, despite our best efforts to help all guest during that very stressful carnival period for the hotel industry, where our occupancy was almost 100%

Because of the high occupancy, management took the decision not to open any phone lines and all phone calls had to be paid for in advance.

We do not have an in-house taxi service and have never advertised having this facility. Sometimes taxi drivers may choose to park on the compound with the hope of getting business. Guests can also obtain local taxis for free on the road outside of the compound.
We DO NOT HAVE CABLE television programming. Only Satellite. On Monday, we were made aware that the Satellite system went down on part of the property and we had a technician fix it within 24 hrs.

We had back to back reservations and it was a very stressful period especially for the housekeeping department. Only one guest told us about the satellite and we promptly attended to it. That guest was not you.

The staff went out of their way to be helpful and courteous to all the guests and it would be nice to be appreciated rather than deriding all of their efforts.

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced, but management was on the compound during the entire period, and if you had problems and complaints, it would have been more professional to address them to management, rather than complaining on trip advisor after the fact.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My friends and I had stayed here over the Carnival weekend and we were completely dissatisfied by what we saw upon entering. The room was dirty and the bathroom was even worse. It was indeed a task to take a shower there! The toilet tank cover was broken and there were cracks on the walls! The aircondition was very obsolete and noisy! I do not recommend that anyone stays here no matter how desperate you are!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank MAC_92_12
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Where do i start. i stayed at this hotel during a business trip for 2 weeks and it was horrible.

after the first night i was ready to leave. but was unable to get a refund from the manager regardless of the reasons i stated. instead she moved us to a bigger room but it was still a mess.

1. the rooms are dirty and are not regularly cleaned. cleaning for this place is changing towels and making up the bed. the floors are dirty. rooms has a mouldy stuffy smell. my toilet leaked and a container was put under it to catch the water.

2. sleep quality terrible. the night staff was noisy. 1 in particular used a bug zapper all through the night and kept me awake. the sound of drilling also kept me up most of the night.

3. definitely not worth the price i paid for a room. this hotel serves 1 purpose. i observed that no one stayed more than a couple hours when i was there.

i could go on and on but i prefer to let pictures do the talking

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank clutches
susan345, Manager at Royal Palm Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
I am sorry that you had to degenerate into word slinging, but there is always two sides to every coin.

You were given kitchen facilities for which you were not charged.
The rooms were serviced by housekeeping daily.
Unfortunately there was a leak in the bathroom and we offered to move you to another room, but you said you were comfortable and prepared to wait for the plumber to fix same the next day.

The leak was fixed the next day.

You never indicated you had any further problems.
You were out working everyday and was in no position to judge who our clientele were and what business they came to transact. Therefore libelous statements will not be encouraged.
totton
Reviewed 18 April 2009

Booked for 6 nights but didn't even stay for one. Our rooms were absolutely filthy, mould in bathroom. Filthy carpet, broken window and furniture and dangerous light fittings. This was a hovel and I would recommend anyone not to stay at this hotel. Any websites featuring this hotel to book would be wise to remove it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank janee_winters
susan345, Manager at Royal Palm Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
The hotel has been upgraded in 2010 with a new roof and new room upgrades. Most of the rooms contain tiled flooring with a pleasant decor.

Its location is very central and very safe and very lively.
It is clean and comfortable with satellite television programming.

We welcome one and all to view and visit our premises to see the upgrades yourself.
While not a 5 star hotel, it is clean, comfortable and provide basic and friendly service to fit the budget-minded guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maraval
Courtyard Port of Spain
#6 of 21 in Port of Spain
The Carlton Savannah
The Carlton Savannah
#14 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Royal Palm Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!