“Amazing Property! Great Location! Friendly Locals!”
Review of Hibiscus Heights

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tobago
Hibiscus Heights
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Amazing Property! Great Location! Friendly Locals!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I cannot speak highly enough about our stay at Hibiscus Heights. Seven of us stayed between Warm Breezes (glorious three bedroom apartment with private pool) and Artist Studio. We could have easily accommodated 5 or more people. Gillian, the owner operator was in constant contact with me leading up to our arrival as well as any time I needed her during our stay. So friendly and helpful! She even took us grocery shopping when we first arrived, giving us insider info on where to get quality meat, bread and produce. Gill also connected us with a van rental which was by far the best rate on a vehicle of that size, also brand new, which was a relief when driving the various mountain areas. Warm Breezes quickly became home, sensational views, close enough to different beaches, my heart breaks just thinking about it. We never got annoyed with one another as all 7 of us had ample room to chill together or separately. The pool was great for early morning pre-breakfast sunning. My partner and I stayed in the master bedroom which is probably bigger than our apartment. The apartments were also equipped with a binder full of reccommended tours and places to eat, as well as a landline we were free to make local calls with. Gill connected us with a few locals and even gave me a cell phone and money to put on it to use during our stay, an ammenity others we've stayed with have charged for. The combination of the beautiful home and Gill's indisputable hospitality ( including arranging a ride from the airport AND for my husband who arrived very early the day after we arrived) made our time in Tobago luxurious. The rate we got was unbeatable. Cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in Warm Breezes and it was excellent for a large group.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Samantha V

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Home away from home

It was a pleasure to spend a short time in the Artist's Studio. Gillian is a wonderful hostess. The studio was clean and comfortable. The kitchen was fully equipped with utensils. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be back for a longer period.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 797Sabita
bexleyheath
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I stayed in Warm Breezes with two friends for three weeks in November to celebrate my 60th birthday.
Our first visit to Tobago and it could not have been made more welcoming, comfortable and easy. Gillian and Jovan took hospitality to a new level.
The accommodation was very comfortable and kept clean almost on a daily basis, including the pool.
The position of the property is enviable, set up a small hill with lovely sea views.
We were often given lifts to wherever we wanted to go and sometimes a chaperone lest we got into difficulties.
We soon got to know our own way around and found the locals friendly and helpful wherever we went.
A wonderful time was had by all and I would love to return.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank kpeanuts
Truro
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We stayed at Hibiscus Heights for two weeks at the end of september and would highly recommend this accomodation to anyone, everything was spotlessly clean, well maintained and had everything we need including wi fi (something of a rarity).
We were greeted by the lovely lady ownder (Gill) and introduced to Dixie and Peggy who were always on hand and kept everywhere clean and tidy for us, sad to say it was great to have a washing machine and tumble dryer which meant we only brought home clean washing !!
Hibiscus heights is in a great location in Pleasant Prospect, near to Grafton Beach and many others nearby. The Moon over the water bar is quite noisy at night but it didnt bother us at all and from the comfort of our balcony we quite enjoyed the music they played. Make sure you get to visit the north of the island as it is stunning, also make sure you have roti from the vendors at Mt Irvine beach car park and shark and bake from the little shop next to the moon over th water bar, it's amazing !! We had an amazing holiday, met some amazing people and simply cannot wait to return.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul P
London
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed in the Corner View apartment and it was fantastic. We find the quality of the accommodation in T&T can be a bit poor, so this was a really nice surprise.

Clean, comfortable and completely well stocked - even down to a basket to take to the beach and a lovely mat to sit on. It seems that everything has been thought of.

The bathroom and kitchen are not the most modern, but they are clean and perfectly functional.

Great location in a lively village with supermarket, pizza place, fish restaurant (over priced, stay away from it) and a couple of local bars.

Nice to sit on balcony with a few beers in the afternoon.

We love it and try to book it each time we come back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank mistyh81
stockholm
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Hibiscus Heights is wonderful located and is nice and nicely furnished. A great base for our honeymoon. We had a wonderful time in Tobago thanks to care taker George. He took good care of us and gave great tips on the island.

We had booked Sweet Nest in January. When we arrived on October 2 the woman who is in charge of Hibiscus Heights had moved in to Sweet Nest. She said she did not want to tell it by mail, but we could not stay in Sweet Nest but would be "upgraded". She showed us an apartment that was big and nice, and since she seemed tired and we were ok with the apartment we said it was fine - it was also in the middle of the night. She said she would come back the next day to organise the payment. My husband and I had paid a portion of the total amount online in advance via Amex, and as it appears on the website that it is ok
we assumed that it would work with the remaining amount as well. The woman did not come back to us the next day even though we knocked on her door. The day after that we went there again and she opened about 15 cm of the door, when we said we wanted to pay with Amex as we did when the advance payment, she said that it was not possible since she does not have access to that account. Instead we had to pay cash in TT dollars and we did not get any reciept. Offcourse situations can occur and life can make unexpected turns, but information like this would be nice to have in advance. We met at a nearby restaurant in the evening before we had taken out the money, she said loudly and clearly that you would actually pay on arrival. This we would have done, but under the circumstances she gave us it was difficult, especially when she does not answer the door.

Day three the water pressure in the apartment was very poor, which they tried to remedy both the woman and of the extraordinarily nice caretaker. We found out by now that the woman stayd in the apartment above us. We were told that the water would come back after two days. When it did not come back after two days, we thought we could get water from the pool in the apartment above. To urinate in buckets is not very nice, especially on a honeymoon. When we went to get the pool water, the woman and her company had blocked the pool with a sofa. We heard that they were in there and my husband knocked on the door and no one answered. We then went onto the Internet at Hibiscus Heights homepage and made the discovery that our accommodation costs USD 10 less per night compared with Sweet Nest.

She had not upgraded us but downgraded us for the same money.

When we jointly went up and knocked on the door so she chose to open. Then she said she was going to upgrade us but we seemed pleased with the apartment and that they will raise the price for it so that it is the same cost as for Sweet Nest. We were not satisfied with that answer, but said we wanted to move to the Warm Breeze instead. The apartment that we stayd in from the beginning was good, but we think that in this case will pay for the accommodation, not another10 USD each night.

Again, we had a lovely honeymoon and really enjoyd every minute of Tobago, especially after moving to the Warm Breeze wich is a beautiful apartment on the top floor, and the waterpressure came back, but it still feels like she tried to cheat us on money. If we had all the information from the beginning it might have been different.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank geogaddi22
VillasAreUs, Owner at Hibiscus Heights, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
I would like to introduce myself as the part owner and sole operator of "Hibiscus Heights", and also the person who is referred to as 'the woman' throughout this review. For WHAT reason, I'm not quite sure, as I did personally greet and meet with these guests more than once, so they would both be very aware of who 'the woman' is.

Regarding what I remember happening, upon arrival, I did YES tell them that they had been upgraded to "Corner View" because, in my mind and the minds of most who have come to stay with us more than once, this has become the most popular of the 3 smaller apartments we have to offer here at "Hibiscus Heights".

It has the fab sea-view that unfortunately our "Sweet Nest" does not, with the full laundry facilities I thought they would more than appreciate, staying for 2 weeks like they were. The only reason "Sweet Nest" is listed @ a higher rate is for the drive-up-to-the door parking feature that is a 'must' for some, but sadly not something that we can offer guests of "Corner View", as the only other parking spot inside the property's gates is reserved for guests of "Warm Breezes". That wouldn't matter to them, I thought, as they had made no mention of a rental to me, and knowing also in my experience that Europeans generally prefer the challenge of a good walk!

Well, back to the late-night arrival, like the guests themselves said, they did actually tell me with tired smiles that YES they were happy with "Corner View", for which I was admittedly very relieved; though being fully aware that I was in the wrong here, I was more than prepared to offer them the master suite upstairs that I had deliberately kept open for that same reason.

And YES I did say I would come back to settle up the next day but, out of respect for all our honeymooners & with the complimentary bottle of wine I imagined they had the night before consumed, I thought for sure that they wouldn't be in any hurry to see me either, that they would come check me when they're ready.

Which they did and as nice as it is for my home to be my office, for me to be able to compute in non-formal attire, me in my pyjamas in the middle of the morning is not always something I want guests to see. Plus I think that basically, not being able to speak the same language can put you at a disadvantage, as so much room for misunderstanding is created, clearly what happened here!

As YES they had paid the deposit with their credit-card but, as it is clearly stated in all my emails that the o/s balance is due in cash UPON arrival, unless otherwise arranged, I was semi-taken by surprise that they were expecting to pay that way again. And, as I tried to explain in the overly articulate and high volume manner that we tend to when the language is different, I wouldn't even be able to make an exception as, when my newly married ex- and myself split, I was then temporarily unable to accept credit-cards at all (which I am thankfully BTW again able to do now).

Anyway payment over with and, with me merrily assuming they were happy with "Corner View", I decided to take advantage of "Warm Breezes" being available for one of the absolutely necessary spot checks that all good holiday villa owners know should be done on a regular basis, to be able to experience what's missing and try to make the highlights of each unit even better.

This was the best decision possible as, had I not been actually staying in that top apartment, they and not me would have had even less water than the trickle I remember them having in "Corner View", the lower units always having more because of where the tanks are situated.

Regarding me telling them to fill up their own buckets I, who am often accused of being the opposite & being TOO accommodating when it comes to our guests, honestly don't recall and am very much appalled by the thought. But, as for the lounger being deliberately placed as a blocker, well that I know for sure would have been a totally unintentional happening, and my only consolation is that those two comments, when looked at together, don't really make sense.

In the end, these guests did finally come to me and say they were not happy and I did immediately move out and have the housekeeper start to prep the apartment for them, to make it look the same way it would have from the beginning, had they only said they wanted it.

On a final personal note, I have to say I was very surprised to come across this review yesterday, remembering only how very jovial and friendly this couple became once "Warm Breezes" became theirs for the last 5 or so days of their honeymoon.
Reviewed 26 March 2011

It's rare that what you see is what you get especially when buying online! Hibiscus Heights was everything I saw online and MORE!! My boyfriend and I spent 4 days and 3 nights in the Sweet Nest apartment and it truly was a home away from home. The bungalow is cozy and has all the amenities you would need for a self catering apartment  - we were able to completely relax.  Paul was very attentive as we had a couple minor issues and he was extremely helpful in helping us rent a car to get around the island and suggesting the best spots to visit. The location was perfect! Across the road from a beautiful beach, and very accessible to other popular tourist spots if you're looking for that experience.

We plan on returning to Tobago with friends and will definitely stay at Hibiscus Heights. Thank you Paul and Gillian for a wonderful stay!!!

• Stayed March 2011