“A very true 'getaway'”

Hibiscus Heights
Toronto, Canada
“A very true 'getaway'”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I had the pleasure of visiting Tobago recently, and stayed at Hibiscus Heights. I had never been to Tobago, and it was love at first sight. Mike, the new owner, was very welcoming and made sure I had everything I needed. I can't think of many resorts where the owner personally picks you up at the airport!

Staying at HH was what I would consider the true definition of 'get away'. The area is a great fusion of discovering local hospitality, flavours, and atmosphere without being touristy, and just enough comforts to feel you are not to far from home. The accommodations are some of the best I have stayed at. The rooms were clean, beautiful, and welcoming. Did I mention the view Hibiscus Heights offers? I can't begin to describe the view. Lush hills, ocean, blue skies. Breathtaking.

I ate out most of the time, but it was nice to have the option of wandering down to the village, pick up fresh fruit on the corner stand, some "caught that day" fish and wine and make my own meal while listening to the ocean waves and faint Caribbean music coming up from the village. Next time, I will take more advantage of this. There was also a very popular pizza place, ATM, bar with billiards, a few resturants and corner store. As a single woman traveller, I felt VERY safe walking around the village and back to the villa on my own.

The village and villa is on a hill, as is most of Tobago. It did not take long for my out of shape legs to adjust to the terrain. Being up on a hill had the advantage of a postcard like view. There is a lot of hidden gems to discover around Tobago (waterfalls, rainforest, remote fishing villages). There are plenty of beaches around, and on most days, you have them all to yourself. I barely saw more than 3 people on any given beach I wandered to.

Making Hibiscus Heights a home base was definitely the corner stone of one of the best vacations I have ever been on.

Room Tip: All the apartments are great, talk to Mike to help chose the best for your needs.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RoadTripMika

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

A group of three friends, we stayed at Warm Breezes for seven days. I would highly recommend this place to any visitor. Very spacious, clean and with good quality furnishing. The view from the balcony is breath-taking. Mike, the new owner, is very friendly and helpful. He purchased the property last year and is careful in maintaining it and making improvements to it. There are three air-conditioned bedrooms: an enormous on-suit master bedroom and two other large bedrooms each with a double bed and a single bed. The two smaller bedrooms share a bathroom and toilet which lacks ventilation – this was not huge problem and should not put you off because it is definitely on Mike’s list of improvements. The open-plan kitchen is large and well equipped and there is a choice of indoor or outdoor dining areas. The swimming pool is fairly small, ideal for young children (4ft deep). A lady comes to clean every day. The over-all impression is definitely a very good experience.

Room Tip: A great place for three or more friends to stay or for a large familly.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed in Warm Breezes this August as a family. This was our second visit to Hibiscus Heights and we've loved every minute of both stays. There is so much room in Warm Breezes, more than you could hope for in any holiday apartment. Gill is brilliant, she took us shopping both to the supermarket and the meat market. Nothing is too much trouble. The master bedroom is huge with more than enough storage. You have to open the doors in the master bedroom one evening to watch the sunset from the bed - awesome!! There are lots of different outdoor spaces to sit and plenty of space. Pleasant Prospect itself is our home from home. It has all we need and it's easy to travel around from here if you need to use the buses. Grafton Beach and Mt Irvine are both in walking distance and neither one normally gets too busy. I could say so much more about this wonderful place but then again, we don't want it to get too busy!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Caz3101
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Hi

My 2 daughters and some friends spent last week end at Hibiscus Heights (Warm Breezes). Truly a home away from home. Gillian the owner is quite accommodating and the housekeeper helpful.

Enjoyed every moment of our stay. Will be back God's willing!!

Patricia

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Patches290
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I cannot speak highly enough about our stay at Hibiscus Heights. Seven of us stayed between Warm Breezes (glorious three bedroom apartment with private pool) and Artist Studio. We could have easily accommodated 5 or more people. Gillian, the owner operator was in constant contact with me leading up to our arrival as well as any time I needed her during our stay. So friendly and helpful! She even took us grocery shopping when we first arrived, giving us insider info on where to get quality meat, bread and produce. Gill also connected us with a van rental which was by far the best rate on a vehicle of that size, also brand new, which was a relief when driving the various mountain areas. Warm Breezes quickly became home, sensational views, close enough to different beaches, my heart breaks just thinking about it. We never got annoyed with one another as all 7 of us had ample room to chill together or separately. The pool was great for early morning pre-breakfast sunning. My partner and I stayed in the master bedroom which is probably bigger than our apartment. The apartments were also equipped with a binder full of reccommended tours and places to eat, as well as a landline we were free to make local calls with. Gill connected us with a few locals and even gave me a cell phone and money to put on it to use during our stay, an ammenity others we've stayed with have charged for. The combination of the beautiful home and Gill's indisputable hospitality ( including arranging a ride from the airport AND for my husband who arrived very early the day after we arrived) made our time in Tobago luxurious. The rate we got was unbeatable. Cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in Warm Breezes and it was excellent for a large group.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Samantha V
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Home away from home

It was a pleasure to spend a short time in the Artist's Studio. Gillian is a wonderful hostess. The studio was clean and comfortable. The kitchen was fully equipped with utensils. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be back for a longer period.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 797Sabita
bexleyheath
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I stayed in Warm Breezes with two friends for three weeks in November to celebrate my 60th birthday.
Our first visit to Tobago and it could not have been made more welcoming, comfortable and easy. Gillian and Jovan took hospitality to a new level.
The accommodation was very comfortable and kept clean almost on a daily basis, including the pool.
The position of the property is enviable, set up a small hill with lovely sea views.
We were often given lifts to wherever we wanted to go and sometimes a chaperone lest we got into difficulties.
We soon got to know our own way around and found the locals friendly and helpful wherever we went.
A wonderful time was had by all and I would love to return.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends