“beautiful”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“beautiful”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We were lucky to visit on a beautiful sunny day so the views were spectacular. The visitor experience is undermined a little by the long queues and facilities which feel quite old

Visited June 2013

Danbury, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Do not go to this island if you are any sort of an animal lover!!!”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I recently vacationed in Provo for ten days and was appalled and horrified by the way the natives treat the stray animals on this island. The island is very small but there are 4000, yes four thousand stray wild dogs dying of heart worm and starvation there. I drove by 10 dead dogs on the main thoroughfare and was shocked by the oblivious nature of the people living on this island. The average stray dog lives to be 3 years old, dying of starvation, heart worm, and being torn to bits by other hungry strays. I will never travel here again, I would never spend a dollar on a culture that is so cold to these beautiful creatures. There is a group called the PotCake Rescue shelter that is amazing, they do as much as they can, but they cannot keep up with the amount of strays and ignorance of those living there. (I noticed many, many churches, but the natives have a weird sense of what being close to "God" is by letting these creatures suffer. If you do go, stop by the Potcake Place and lend a hand.

Visited March 2013
9 Thank Lucymargret
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great place to vacation!!”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This was the best beach vacation we ever took! Smiths Reef was beautiful but beware its very rocky terrain and you need water shoes to snorkel. You can park at the end of the beach by the dive shops and boat launch. It's a long walk to to snorkel so don't bring alot of things to carry. You can walk along to the public beach but it's far. Pizza Pizza in the hotel zone is really good. Tastes similar to American pizza. We went to Caicos cafe becasue of some reviews here and were not disappointed. The best fresh baked goods anywhere! The local super market around the corner had some great baked goods too for cheaper prices. You can pick up lunch to bring with to island hop on the ferry.
Daniels cafe on Middle Caicos has awesome snapper for $10. Going to Middle Caicos was a 45 min trip by boat (ferry) for $50 round trip. It's well worth it. They show you movie star homes on the way and the water is the most amazing color blue you will EVER see!! The caves in Middle Caicos were nothing to write home about and there are locals there taking money for entering. There are bats and cock roaches running around so if your afraid of them, stay away. Its a rugged drive to the caves from the landing of the ferry so rent a Jeep or truck (45 min drive). Gas is expensive and stations are far and few so fill up when you leave the ferry area. There are a few deserted beaches along the way that look like they could be in the movies! They were building a bar on top of a cliff at one of the beaches and would be amazing to sit and have a few drinks and watch the sunset. It wasn't quite finished when we visited. Shark Bite in Provo had great burgers and was a fun atmosphere.
There is a chicken shack ($3 chicken is what the locals call it) it has great sized wings for $3 or larger plate for $4. Best wings anywhere! We ate there everyday it was so cheap! You can get $1 fries with it. You have to order it by dollar amount or you will confuse them. Huge meal. Its located on Leeward Hgy at Lee Cox sign towards Southdock next to the Texaco station towards the airport.
There is an Indian restaurant in the hotel zone called Graham Masala. It had great food. I highly recommend it.
Airport security line going home looks worse than it is. It goes fast and if your flight is boarding they will move you up in line to get you to your plane. It took a half hour in line with well over a hundred people. The longest lines were for United Airlines to check in to go home. I'd skip taking them and go with another airlines it was so bad.
West Jet is popular there and flies all over. I never heard of it before this trip.
Be aware that the stray dog population is outrageous!!
There are packs of dogs walking around all over. Do not go near them or feed them. We counted 13 dogs in one pack! Some of them lived in construction sites. We actually watched a dog get hit by a car and the local just kept going. My kids were devastated to say the least!!!! To help alleviate the dog population humanely you can donate to www.potcakeplace.com a local animal welfare that helps spay/neuter dogs that they advertise on the local TV. We found it and it looks reputable.
Hemingways was a great dinner place for romance and relaxing. Great food too. You can go in most of the resort places and swim for free. Two of the most unfriendly places were Amanyara and Grace Bay which seemed to look down on us as if we were pieces of dirt. Very unfriendly places which is unlike any of the other resorts. They wanted $30/pp to swim in their pool. They didn't care if we were going to buy their over priced drinks or not. There were really friendly resorts like Coral Gardens, which is great for nightlife. Great bartender!! Had a great time there with him.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank moetrn1
Wilton, CT
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Urgent/Medical Care”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

One hopes when you go on vacation you do not need an emergency visit but while on a recent Provo trip I in fact did not need care. I'd like to say it was an exciting story but while taking the garbage out a can stop put a 4 inch slice in my leg (fat was visible). It was deep and long. We knew a local and they recommended Associated Medical Urgent Care instead of the hospital. It was the best advice. I had a makeshift tourniquet wrapped around my leg. I did not even have to sit in the waiting room - they took me write into one of the rooms and put me on a medical bed. The nurse, (Joy I believe) was friendly and explained everything that would happen before the doctor even came in. Dr. Bourne came in (there are two Bournes - this was the younger one). He was professional, funny and social. Everything was done is an extremely sterile way and although I've never had stitches before I 've seen my fair share with children. These stitches were beautifully done and you could tell he took great pride in his work. Afterward they gave it an awesome wrapping (complete with funky neon pink wrap) and care instructions. The antibiotic prescription was filled right in the pharmacy located in the center. Hope you don't have to visit emergency care while on island but if so... ask to be taken to Associated Medical.

Visited April 2013
7 Thank ljkaine
West Chicago, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Turks and Caicos Photography - Attimi”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We took a trip to Providenciales to visit family and friends. Knowing this island first hand, I wanted to take some pictures to freeze our trip in time - creating lasting memories. Attimi did a fantastic job and captured the kids and I in the most breathtaking and unique family portraits I have even seen. From the colorful background of Sailing Paradise in Blue Hills to the tranquil aqua/blue waters, white sand and sunset at Sapodilla Bay Beach. Ileana was fun to work with and we now have portraits - lasting memories of our trip to beautiful Turks and Caicos Islands.

Visited April 2013