“serenity now” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Grand Turk
Madison
“serenity now”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

we stayed at the Osprey from June 15-23, 2013. As we drove to the Osprey we got a little worried, as there were some run down and unrepaired buildings and homes but once we got into the Osprey we were glad we did. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful. We stayed in room 44, which I probably wouldn't stay in again, just due to its proximity to the restaurant. The room itself was clean (albeit a minor ant problem on the first day) and comfortable. The microwave, refrigerator and toaster oven helped eliminate having to eat out constantly. The balcony was great, overlooking the ocean.

We didn't swim in the pool, as it felt odd to be swimming in the middle of the restaurant while others were eating. The food at the restaurant was delicous, and we had not quality issues during several meals. The barbeque is highly recommended and was delicious. The bar did go a little light on the rum in the rum punch, but that was a minor complaint.

I'd suggest getting a room on the 2nd floor to take advantage of the trade winds. We never used our air conditioner and our room stayed comfortable with the winds blowing through. The Osprey has a fairly large private beach with beach chairs available and towels for use by the guests.

Another advantage to staying at the Osprey is its proximity to other restaurants and dive shops and down town areas. There was a small supermarket within a couple of minutes walk, but Cees was about a 20 minute walk and they had much more food options. There were also 2 liquor stores within walking distance, as well as the Cockburn "downtown" area. Nearby restaurants included the Sandbar and the Secret Garden (located in the Salt Rakr). I recommend both. Erika and Ruby at the Secret Garden were especially nice and their food was delicious. The Sandbar is located on the beach and has an incredible view. Grand Turk Dive Shop across the street from the Osprey has bikes for rent, and for taxis to the cruise center and airport we used were Jacks and Cliff's. We also went to Bohio Resort for dinner on Thursday, which is when they do their "international" night. Delicious, delicious food and Bohio was the only place I found that had Cuban cigars.

A point about the cruise center. We could not buy anything from the duty free shop as we were not cruise ship members. We were able to buy items from the other small shops at the cruise center.

Room Tip: get the lower number rooms away from the restaurant. 44, 45 and 46 were closest to the restaurant...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Corey2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Providenciales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

stayed there in June with my boyfriend and when I first arrived the atmosphere alone didn't feel welcoming. The receptionist there showed us where our room was, it smelled like its been closed for days, the ac wasn't even on to keep the room fresh and nice (bearing in mind that someone is coming in today I think it should be) I don't even know what anything else at that place looked like because I showed my face only twice when I checked in and when I checked out I spent all my time in Grand Turk going other places since I was only there for the weekend I did not stress myself trying to find another place. we arrived Friday and Saturday morning no one came to clean the room, because I spend my whole day out when I came back to the room it was very late and we were tired so we had no choice but to wait till Sunday morning for them to clean it out. there was no source of entertainment in that room I mean no TV or iPod deck or something I stayed at a Courtyard Atrium and it sucked. Over all I didn't enjoy my time there and
wouldn't go back

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 2013FanFan2013
mintyfreshdesign, Owner at Osprey Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the room you reserved. We realize that this is our lowest end room but there is no excuse for the room not being cleaned, and I apologize profusely.

We have only 2 of these small rooms and they are both scheduled for renovation this summer.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip here on Grand Turk.
St Paul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

I stayed on the atrium side on the first leg of my trip and in a room off the beach on the second leg. My travel plans changed at the last minute due to rare rough water between islands and they adjusted my stays and got me great rooms and rates during their high season. I am very grateful. The rooms were clean, well cared for, spacious and lovely. I travelled was travelling alone, ch was really a shame because my room on the water was the most beautiful, romantic room I've ever been in. The staff are very freindly, helpful, and accommodating. They helped me set up eating, travel, cabs and a great massage on my deck in the sun with the waves lapping just below. I met people from all over the world. I will be back and will stay at the Osprey.
Grand Turk Divers is right across the street. I had a 50 foot walk between my room and the dive shop.

Room Tip: I stayed on the atrium side to save money and the rooms were great, just without the ocean view. The...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Rosamond, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

We will assume if you are considering the Osprey Beach Hotel, and Grand Turk, that you are not looking for a high-end luxury resort with mega-swimming pool, etc. Grand Turk is a wonderful but very laid-back destination with a friendly, low key atmosphere and the Osprey Beach Hotel matches this vibe perfectly.

The physical layout of the hotel can best be described as “rambling”, with the majority of the rooms strung out along the beachfront in a long mostly 2-story structure which also houses the bar, office and a small swimming pool. A narrow, one-way street separates this part of the hotel from an annex building referred to as the “Atrium” for it’s open-courtyard layout. The Atrium houses the hotel’s restaurant, ten more rooms and a SCUBA operation, Blue Water Divers.

The hotel is by no means new (our first visit was 10 years ago and it was a long-time fixture then), but has been kept in good repair and you will find the rooms quite comfortable. Rooms are air-conditioned but you will likely find you prefer open windows with the gentle surf sounds and breezes. However, on a couple of nights (Friday/Saturday) we noted nearby locals like to party late-late and the A/C allowed us to button up for quiet..

SCUBA is a big attraction and the on-site operator Blue Water Divers, run by 30+ year Turks resident Mitch Rolling, will take care of your needs nicely. Mitch, incidentally, is also a musician who will likely entertain you at some point during your stay, and may even host an evening cocktail party at his home which he describes as a “porch with a house attached”.

Bottom line, if your objective is to enjoy a no-hassle island stay in a small, friendly environment which offers comfort without luxury, this is your place.

Room Tip: Second floor beachfront rooms have best breeze, at the cost of a walk-up.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Tamworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed in a room to the right of reception as you look fron the beach. Gather it was recently renovated. Room was very good with our own patio and then view to the sea. Very comfortable and private. Had fridge and coffee maker. Huge shower!. Situated opposite the diving- blue water and picked up from beach so excellent for us. Restaurant over the raod was average!, Sandbar down road was very friendly and food good. Shopping was sparse but acceptable as a small island. An idyllic setting on the beach hence the high price!

Room Tip: Newly renovated rooms to the right of reception looking from beach. Excellent views and privacy . No...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alison g
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

Pros: close to the beach, restaurant on site, clean.
Cons: thin walls (you can hear neighboors' snores), dripping showers, no wireless, expansive for the price.
P/S: When we were there, they were renovating the wave wall in front of the pool. They housed the contractor workers in the other guest rooms in the same complex. These guys were loud and ruined our peaceful vacation.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Millersville, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

First thing I learned on our trip is that these reviews are, in fact, worth considering - I considered them in advance and felt they were fair, all in all, afterward. I also met "Mike", who reviewed Grand Turk Diving, while we were there! Osprey Beach Hotel is absolutely beautiful! We saw whales breaching out in the ocean as we sat on the deck by the pool! They were hit hard by Hurricane Sandy a few months ago, and so I understood that they were still repairing part of the beach wall, yet you just couldn't ask for a more relaxing vista. The staff is also wonderful - they were very helpful and kind (especially when we were a bit under the weather). The food on the island generally gets a little old after a week, but, it is a remote island and what they get can be limited. But, I must say, the French Toast at Osprey is awesome -- all of us loved it! I wanted a vacation that was not a "resort" thing, and I was happy with it (except for the stomach bug we caught). If you go to Grand Turk, go to Grand Turk Diving for diving with Smitty, who is awesome, and take the kayak trip on the North Creek with Oasis Divers. I loved North Creek. Also, I read the last review (from someone who was there at about the same time) and yes, there are "stray" dogs all around, but they are extremely nice dogs and not the least bit threatening. There are also burros roaming around, but they don't bother you. Not everyone lives the way we do in the United States (I think we waste more in a week than some people have in a year). Grand Turk is a remote island - I do not think I would travel here with a small child. We enjoyed flying in (on an 8 seater!) with Caicos Express.

Room Tip: We are a family of five (always challenging), and Rooms 16/17 worked well for us. Beautiful overloo...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Cockburn Town
Grand Turk Inn
Grand Turk Inn
#1 of 4 in Cockburn Town

Been to Osprey Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!