“working in Grand Turk”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Grand Turk
Bismarck, North Dakota
“working in Grand Turk”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

There are lots of reviews here on the hotel and relaxing...but I was there to work. and I did love the hotel and GT.

I started out in room 12 - which was nice - at the end of the hotel, quiet, ....but the internet was minimal....which I need when working.

I asked to change and was moved to room 43, with many more amenities ..12 had fridge but 43 had fridge micro toaster, dishes, etc. If I go again, I will pay a little more for all the extras and reduce eating out all the time.

I understand when other reviews talk about slow service but I talked to them after the first day breakfast. I would order earlier (the staff arrives at 7 am, shower, return to eat). That worked great. The food was really good and I had a couple of lunches and the wonderful Wednesday barbque.

My co-workers stayed in a B.B which was a little more expensive but they were also happy. We met a few evenings at the Sandbar, enjoying a cocktail, light dinner, and even played in trivia night.

all in all...I loved GT. I am from the US Midwest and I felt it was a medium size (4000) town placed on a 7 sq. mile island...homey and comfortable, tropical...like a comfort food and lodging place...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel have nice front beach room with sea view, rooms are comfortables, hotel crew is lovely and helpful. Restaurant and bar are also friendly. We love that place, so, so peaceful and quiet. Hope to get back soon. Thanks a lot.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2013

First of all, let's understand that if you are in Grand Turk, you are here to relax. Being that said, Osprey offers clean rooms with friendly staff that will be your friends during your stay. As everything here, the word 'rush' is non existent; food takes 35-40 minutes to arrive and no one is in a hurry...but once again, where do you have to go other than to the beach or scuba diving?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Loved the location of this hotel. Rooms and Food better than most "dive hotels" Excellent bar, best rum punch, great breakfast lunch items and dinner specials. They were so kind to my 14 and 16 year olds, made them "special" food teens love. Clean rooms, right on the beach. Dive boat pick up right on the beach. Close to other eating places and bars.

Room Tip: Get a beach room for sure
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cindy S
Roseland, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Went to the Osprey Beach Hotel for a dive trip in early June with several friends. Having been to the Turks and Caicos diving before, we anticipated that the diving would be great, and it was. The dive operation uses Carolina Skiffs, and is restricted to eight divers max. The boats, while small, were comfortable, and the dive staff was terrific. The reefs were in pretty good shape, and the dive sites were quite nice. The dive boats leave right from the beach in front of the hotel - great!

The hotel accommodations were terrific. Would definitely recommend the meal plan, which when we went was $57.00/day. The food was good, the wait staff helpful, and the dining area with the pool right at ocean-side, was scenic and enjoyable.

Also, the Osprey is a bit off the beaten track as far as cruise ships are concerned. While some small hotels on Grand Turk are overrun when the cruise ships dock, Osprey seemed to be fairly unaffected by the influx of cruise passengers. Overall, a really nice experience.

Room Tip: Didn't seem to be too much difference in rooms, at least in the building we were in. The rooms w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Madison
Reviewed 25 June 2013

we stayed at the Osprey from June 15-23, 2013. As we drove to the Osprey we got a little worried, as there were some run down and unrepaired buildings and homes but once we got into the Osprey we were glad we did. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful. We stayed in room 44, which I probably wouldn't stay in again, just due to its proximity to the restaurant. The room itself was clean (albeit a minor ant problem on the first day) and comfortable. The microwave, refrigerator and toaster oven helped eliminate having to eat out constantly. The balcony was great, overlooking the ocean.

We didn't swim in the pool, as it felt odd to be swimming in the middle of the restaurant while others were eating. The food at the restaurant was delicous, and we had not quality issues during several meals. The barbeque is highly recommended and was delicious. The bar did go a little light on the rum in the rum punch, but that was a minor complaint.

I'd suggest getting a room on the 2nd floor to take advantage of the trade winds. We never used our air conditioner and our room stayed comfortable with the winds blowing through. The Osprey has a fairly large private beach with beach chairs available and towels for use by the guests.

Another advantage to staying at the Osprey is its proximity to other restaurants and dive shops and down town areas. There was a small supermarket within a couple of minutes walk, but Cees was about a 20 minute walk and they had much more food options. There were also 2 liquor stores within walking distance, as well as the Cockburn "downtown" area. Nearby restaurants included the Sandbar and the Secret Garden (located in the Salt Rakr). I recommend both. Erika and Ruby at the Secret Garden were especially nice and their food was delicious. The Sandbar is located on the beach and has an incredible view. Grand Turk Dive Shop across the street from the Osprey has bikes for rent, and for taxis to the cruise center and airport we used were Jacks and Cliff's. We also went to Bohio Resort for dinner on Thursday, which is when they do their "international" night. Delicious, delicious food and Bohio was the only place I found that had Cuban cigars.

A point about the cruise center. We could not buy anything from the duty free shop as we were not cruise ship members. We were able to buy items from the other small shops at the cruise center.

Room Tip: get the lower number rooms away from the restaurant. 44, 45 and 46 were closest to the restaurant...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Corey2013
Providenciales
Reviewed 19 June 2013

stayed there in June with my boyfriend and when I first arrived the atmosphere alone didn't feel welcoming. The receptionist there showed us where our room was, it smelled like its been closed for days, the ac wasn't even on to keep the room fresh and nice (bearing in mind that someone is coming in today I think it should be) I don't even know what anything else at that place looked like because I showed my face only twice when I checked in and when I checked out I spent all my time in Grand Turk going other places since I was only there for the weekend I did not stress myself trying to find another place. we arrived Friday and Saturday morning no one came to clean the room, because I spend my whole day out when I came back to the room it was very late and we were tired so we had no choice but to wait till Sunday morning for them to clean it out. there was no source of entertainment in that room I mean no TV or iPod deck or something I stayed at a Courtyard Atrium and it sucked. Over all I didn't enjoy my time there and
wouldn't go back

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2013FanFan2013
mintyfreshdesign, Owner at Osprey Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the room you reserved. We realize that this is our lowest end room but there is no excuse for the room not being cleaned, and I apologize profusely.

We have only 2 of these small rooms and they are both scheduled for renovation this summer.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip here on Grand Turk.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Turk
#2 of 4 in Cockburn Town
Sailrock Resort
Sailrock Resort
#2 of 3 in South Caicos

Been to Osprey Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!