“Amazing water”

33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Amazing water”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We got off the cruise ship and expected to head to Governor's Beach by private taxi, but the local at the taxi stand suggested that we try Pillory Beach instead. She stated that many tours drop off at Governor's Beach and it gets extremely busy in the afternoon.

While we enjoyed Pillory Beach for it's gorgeous waters and great sand, the $10 chair rental was very steep compared to nearby/similar islands. Even when nearby folks vacated the chairs they paid for, we were told we still could not use it. But to be honest, we spent 90% of the time in the water so we barely missed it.

The snorkeling was decent and I was able to venture quite far away by following some awesome rock formations. The fish sightings were few, but the formations held me captive for a good while. We walked all the way left down the beach for quite some time and we passed some wild horses, donkeys and dogs. It was interesting to say the least.

We did quickly get bored of our surroundings though and I'd never personally experienced that before. So we grabbed a taxi back to the port instead of spending the usual 4-5 hours on a beach. The taxi took us through the 'downtown' area and it did look quite neat, but we weren't in the mood. Lots of little vendors selling goodies!

I'll never forget the sheer number of stray dogs we saw throughout Grand Turk though. Wow.

Visited February 2014
13 Thank Jennifer M

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Like Swimming In a Pool.”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

•Intro:
-I have to start off first by saying that for me their is always 2 factors that make a great Beach. 1.The landscape & surroundings, and 2.The color and translucence of the water. In other words, how clear is it? I been to many beaches all over the world that where gorgeous and painted the most beautiful shades of blue, but when I actually got in the water I was disappointed that I couldn't see to my knees, let alone my feet. I'm happy to say this wasn't the case at Pillory Beach.

•Overview:
-I have been searching for a "swimming pool beach" for over 5 years now, ever since my fiancé and I had the privilege of going to Coco Cay in the Bahamas. Since then, I been chasing a high that I haven't been able to reach, until I discovered Pillory Beach. Finally after 5 years and dozen beaches later, I found exactly what I was looking for. You honestly can't ask for better water. We went last week which was actually New Years Eve and the water believe it or not was a little chilly. Nothing you won't get used to once your in for a few minutes, but Im sure its a lot warmer during the summer months.
Although the water itself is amazing, the landscape and surrounding area is nothing to write home about. A Simple crooked strip of white sand with typical beach brush and bushes, a beach bar, gift shop and boutique beach motel. Though peaceful and calm its far from a deserted beach which I've found to be the best.
Pillory is a private beach and you will need to pay a $10 per person fee if you wish to use a chair. Im not sure whether or not their is a charge to enter in general and It's all preference, but looking back I would have been just as happy with laying my towel down on the soft white sand. Most of the time is spent in the water anyway, so where you decide to lay your personal effects is irrelevant. Not to mention the beach is literally 10-15 yards away from the water. They also have water sports if you wish to snorkel or even take a sail boat. Though we did not see many fish, so it might be a waste of time to snorkel. They do have a speed boat that will take you out to dive as well if you are licensed or want to learn. The beach bar does have dance music playing, but it is just the right volume and the crowd always seemed extremely chill except for one or two dancing girls in their mid to late 20's with coronas in hand.
One con of the beach are the occasional stray dogs that run around and post up right beside you. And though you may be a dog lover, you won't enjoy the gifts they leave on and around the beach. It was a little disappointing to see no one was around chasing them away, but luckily they didn't make it over to our spot.

•Getting There:
-If you do decide to visit this beach I recommend renting a Vespa/Motor Scooter, or golf cart. We took a cruise to Grand Turk which dropped us off at the port and right outside you can find vendors who will direct you where you go. We decided on a Vespa, which was $60 per rental and if your comfortable riding you only need one. Though I do encourage you go with a golf cart to Pillory if riding with 2 people, only because the road going into Pillory is a little sandy and has a few speed bumps that will actually damage the scooter if you don't pay attention and go extremely slow. Again its all in how comfortable you are riding and whether or not you want to have a drink while your sightseeing as well. If you do decide to go with a golf cart, know that they are without hoods and un-shaded. I enjoy getting as much sun as possible, so I don't mind, but I know others might.

•Pros:
-Water Color and Clarity
-Distance from port
-Sparsely Populated

•Cons:
-Landscape
-$10 Fee
-Stray Dogs

•Verdict:
-As I said in my title, Pillory beach is better then swimming in a pool. If your someone who is looking for Bahama translucent water, this is where you want to go during you brief stay on the Island. Trust me when I say you will not be disappointed.

Beach Landscape and Surrounding: 6/10 - Okay.

Water Color and Clarity: 9/10 - Amazing!

Overall: 8.5/10 - Great.

P.S. The 5 stars I gave it is based on Tripadvisor and the Island alone. I believe if you go to Grand Turk this is a must see and should be your only stop if you only have time for one place. My personal rating is based on how it compares to other beaches world wide. Happy Traveling!

Visited January 2014
33 Thank Lino P
Port Williams, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Quiet, gorgeous beach”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed for 12 nights on this beach in a little studio cottage, just north from Bohio Dive Resort (search VRBO for 'Seabiscuit' on Grand Turk). Except around mid-day when a cruise ship was in port, we essentially had this part of the beach to ourselves! And it still wasn't that busy when a ship was in because most tourists off the boat that come to Pillory stay around Bohio.
Snorkelling was fun, but you need to head out from shore a ways to see a good variety of fish and coral. Low tide swimming is probably best near Bohio where their boats seem to have promoted sand that goes out well into the water; can be hard to get to deeper water elsewhere where grass-covered ridges can block your way. At high tide there are no obstacles but there is more wave-action (but don't plan on super fun waves - they barely break).
This beach is oriented to the west so it really is quite spectacular for sunsets!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Jay M
Atlanta, Georgia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Our home away from home.”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed right on this beach at Beachside Bunglow. It was beautiful, quiet, and we had the most awesome sunsets every night. Even had a green flash standing in our back yard.
Can't wait to go back.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank hhstokes
Keller, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Massage with Latoya followed by Pillory Beach”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We had a massage with Latoya at Oceanscapes spa in front of the Cruise Port on the beach and followed it with a wonderful relaxing day at Pillory Beach. It is 8$ per person to take a taxi to the Bohio Dive Resort. I would highly recommend Bohio/Pillory Beach as well Oceanscapes spa. Latoya works both at the cruise port and Bohio Resort. You can rent a chair for 10$ or just lay your towel out on the sand. It is peaceful and away from the crowds.

Visited November 2013