See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 April 2016

Easy Check in. I was introduced to the dogs and cat. The room was located downstairs in the front. I could hear the waves inside the room. The room consisted of the necessities such as a comfortable queen size bed, mini refrigerator, air conditioner, 5-13 inch tube television, closet, drawers, and a private bath with a small shower. There was no phone in the room. The owner allowed me to use her phone to arrange transportation. (She did complain that local calls are not free.) There was instant coffee provided along with an electric kettle. The hotel is very old. Most of the buildings on that street were built in the 1800's. I'm not sure when Salt Raker was built but it was in good shape. It had lovely wooden floors. The hotel is quiet for the most part. There is a bar across the street that serves food and has live music occasionally. I'm not sure if I would stay there again because I left the air conditioner on when I went out during the day and when I got back I was yelled at by the owner. She said her electric bill is going to be high. It made me feel very uncomfortable.

Room tip: Ask for a room in the front so you can hear the waves.
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank delectabletreats
Reviewed 2 March 2016

We stayed one night until we could into our rented bungalow next door for our holiday. We were upgraded to a suite thanks to Erika who made our one night stay very special. Lovely ocean view from our upstairs room. The our room was wonderful along with our meals in the secret garden. Quiet & peacefull island feel . Will certainly return.

Date of stay: February 2016
Reviewed 18 February 2016

This place was absolutely amazing! Erica was a very accommodating. Our travel plans changed due to a flight cancellation. She let us change the dates as we needed without any hassle. The restaurant offers a variety of delicious food. I highly recommend going to the live music night on Fridays. Erica’s husband, Zeus, absolutely KILLED it with the band that was playing. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The day after (on Saturdays), GET the steamed fish and peas and grits. You will NOT be disappointed. Mitsy and Ruby were fantastic; we enjoyed talking with them every day. The place was built LONG ago, so don’t expect glitz and glamour. But it definitely makes up for it in charm and cleanliness. We even enjoyed the four legged helpers (Irie and Steven). They greeted us daily. One of my favorite things to do was lying in the hammock while listening to the waves on the beach (which is located right across the street). There is wifi there as well. But we enjoyed getting off the grid and mixing it up with the locals. EVERYONE was friendly, and I am not just making a generalization. The island typically gets people for the cruise ships. But when people (such as us) like it and wish to spend more time there, they really enjoy it. I HIGHLY recommend going there, and I would definitely refer my family and friends to stay at The Salt Raker. The only bad thing about staying there was that we had to leave. I saw complaints from others on here about the bugs. It was not any worse there than anywhere else on the island. I mean it’s a tropical island, so yes there are mosquitoes but nothing crazy. I really couldn’t say enough good things about the place. I am very glad we stayed here and look forward our next trip.

Room tip: upstairs has a great view!
Date of stay: February 2016
2  Thank MM272003
Reviewed 21 January 2016

Another very warm welcome from Erika and her staff. In particular, she is always willing to help if I need a taxi or want to organise a trip. My room this time was very pleasant and spacious, and as always spotlessly clean during my stay. On the ground floor near the entrance, it was nevertheless quiet, with a shady spot for sitting outside.
Erika's Christmas tree this year was particularly impressive, being composed of a mass of conch shells. I enjoyed the meals I took here and drinks at the friendly bar. Just across the road is a great spot to snorkel, or later in the day to watch the beautiful sunsets.

Room tip: All the rooms have been spacious. I prefer the front as I like to wake up to hear the sea.
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2015

The hotel is a very nice colonial building practically on the beach. We had a free upgrade to the suite thanks to the lovely host Erika. The room was huge and very well furnished, with a confortable and big bed. The restaurant is good too.

Date of stay: December 2015