See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 July 2016

Erica and team are the most hospitable and nicest people you can find. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. Very personable service. Zeus kindly took us to airport when our driver didn't show up on time.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2016 via mobile

To start with: I think that the Salt Raker should really be listed as small hotel, not a B&B. In any event, having last stayed there in the 1990s, I returned in April for two weeks. Here are my impressions: The room was a good size, clean and had all the necessary basics for a longer stay, i.e. refrigerator, AC, wifi.
What really makes this place special is its staff, especially Ruby who runs the bar and Mitzy, the Jamaican cook. Their bar keeping and culinary talents aside, they are a wealth of information and local gossip. So if you're ever starved for good food and entertainment, spend an evening at the Salt Rakers bar (which has changed very little in 20 years) and you won't be disappointed. Bottom line: Good value for money for experienced travellers, in a superb location!

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank BrightonMike_2015
Reviewed 18 April 2016

Easy Check in. I was introduced to the dogs and cat. The room was located downstairs in the front. I could hear the waves inside the room. The room consisted of the necessities such as a comfortable queen size bed, mini refrigerator, air conditioner, 5-13 inch tube television, closet, drawers, and a private bath with a small shower. There was no phone in the room. The owner allowed me to use her phone to arrange transportation. (She did complain that local calls are not free.) There was instant coffee provided along with an electric kettle. The hotel is very old. Most of the buildings on that street were built in the 1800's. I'm not sure when Salt Raker was built but it was in good shape. It had lovely wooden floors. The hotel is quiet for the most part. There is a bar across the street that serves food and has live music occasionally. I'm not sure if I would stay there again because I left the air conditioner on when I went out during the day and when I got back I was yelled at by the owner. She said her electric bill is going to be high. It made me feel very uncomfortable.

Room tip: Ask for a room in the front so you can hear the waves.
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank delectabletreats
Reviewed 2 March 2016

We stayed one night until we could into our rented bungalow next door for our holiday. We were upgraded to a suite thanks to Erika who made our one night stay very special. Lovely ocean view from our upstairs room. The our room was wonderful along with our meals in the secret garden. Quiet & peacefull island feel . Will certainly return.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2016

This place was absolutely amazing! Erica was a very accommodating. Our travel plans changed due to a flight cancellation. She let us change the dates as we needed without any hassle. The restaurant offers a variety of delicious food. I highly recommend going to the live music night on Fridays. Erica’s husband, Zeus, absolutely KILLED it with the band that was playing. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The day after (on Saturdays), GET the steamed fish and peas and grits. You will NOT be disappointed. Mitsy and Ruby were fantastic; we enjoyed talking with them every day. The place was built LONG ago, so don’t expect glitz and glamour. But it definitely makes up for it in charm and cleanliness. We even enjoyed the four legged helpers (Irie and Steven). They greeted us daily. One of my favorite things to do was lying in the hammock while listening to the waves on the beach (which is located right across the street). There is wifi there as well. But we enjoyed getting off the grid and mixing it up with the locals. EVERYONE was friendly, and I am not just making a generalization. The island typically gets people for the cruise ships. But when people (such as us) like it and wish to spend more time there, they really enjoy it. I HIGHLY recommend going there, and I would definitely refer my family and friends to stay at The Salt Raker. The only bad thing about staying there was that we had to leave. I saw complaints from others on here about the bugs. It was not any worse there than anywhere else on the island. I mean it’s a tropical island, so yes there are mosquitoes but nothing crazy. I really couldn’t say enough good things about the place. I am very glad we stayed here and look forward our next trip.

Room tip: upstairs has a great view!
Date of stay: February 2016