“Nice welcome!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Calgary, Canada
“Nice welcome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Just arrived at Blue Haven Resort after long trip and two delayed planes due to ice and snow storms happening in Canada...
Cannot tell you how happy I was to arrive in Turks and Caicos, and get away from the cold.
Blue Haven is just 15 minutes drive from the airport by car- rented a car from Avis, on Airport Road. It is work renting a car, it gives you the convenience of moving around at your pace . Also, the roads are not very crowded and is easy to drive . All cars are left wheel, which for Canadians makes it even easier to drive.Just imagine you are on a one way street in Canada..I reserved the car 45 days ago, I did not have to pay for anything up front. Actually you have to pay at the end of your trip..
Blue Haven is a very clean , nice hotel, has free parking, free wireless and nice rooms with ocean views. Beautiful Shawna was at the reception when I arrived, and greeted me with the most wonderful smile. The check-in was fast and efficient. Shawna took me to my room on forth floor. The room has a view of the ocean, is very big, newly renovated, and has nice toiletries and free water in the fridge.
I needed the wireless right away, called the concierge and Shawna responded right away and told me that I do not need any password . Two minutes later I realized the water wasn't running. Called the concierge again, and within 1o minutes one gentleman arrived to my room to check it out. I the meantime the "glitch" was resolved, but I was very happy to see that they were willing to do anything to help as fast as they could. In another 5 minutes another one arrived, "sorting" his tools, in case he needed to fix anything. I told him that the water was running, but he still checked it out to make sure everything was in order.
Thank you Blue Haven, I hope my stay at your resort will be a nice relaxing , amazing experience. I am looking forward to rest for the next 16 days, 2013 was an extremely hard year for me. What I need right now is sun, warm climate, relaxed time, good food, sleep- outside,under an umbrella- explore the island at my pace , enjoy the local culture and meet new people.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dee B
Resort_Team, Manager at Blue Haven Resort, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
How nice of you to take the time to leave a review during your stay with us. I sincerely hope that the rest of your vacation has been everything you had hoped for! Sorry to hear about your glitches, but glad to know they were fixed right away. Happy New Year to you and we hope to see you back with us in 2014!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from our trip to T&C yesterday, staying at Blue Haven for 7 nights. This is a wonderful place to stay for privacy, tranquility, and a small, luxurious feel. It is away from the busier Grace Bay area, but we actual preferred that. We did rent a car, which considering the prices for taxis on the island is a true deal. We don't mind driving and let's be honest - the island isn't that big, so trips to and from places are very short!

While most reviews have mentioned "growing pains," "change", etc... that can be a great thing! We met some locals at the restaurant bar one evening and they told us how much improved the property was from the previous management/resort (Niki Beach).

To avoid a lengthier review, I agree with everything that the last reviewer mentioned (the reviewer with title: "Spectacular and looking forward to returning!") down to the great aspects and areas for improvement. Overall, we had a wonderful time and actually found the staff to be incredibly responsive to our needs about 99.9% of the time (had a small delay on towels one morning; no turn down our last night, but otherwise perfect). My only regret is that we didn't get time to try the restaurant on property, Fire and Ice (had other reservations, did the local Thursday Fish Fry, and time got away from us!), but we heard that it was great. Our local 'friends' (met them at the bar one evening) introduced us to the chef and they had wonderful things to say about him.

Big praises to Sharick (concierge who helped stock our room with snacks and waters prior to our arrival); Ralf at the pool bar (a wonderful bartender with a fabulous personality); Jennie Mae at Salt bar (server with a kind, lovely smile); and Lionel (always smiling, took us on our 'arrival tour').

Keep it up, Blue Haven! We'd like to make this our annual December vacation destination!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are honored that you would like to make Blue Haven your annual vacation spot. It is very kind of you to send praises to the staff by name. We will look into those 2 hiccups you mentioned, as we strive for 100% perfection! By the time you return next year there will be even more for you to experience and enjoy – like the spa and gourmet market. We look forward to showing them off to you.
Point Clear, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We are staying at Blue Haven marina on our boat. The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful. The restaurant is equally wonderful. My children love the pool and swim up bar! Pete and Ralph the bartenders took care of us and the kids crating special frozen drinks and more.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Haleyderm
We are so pleased that you are enjoying your marina stay with us and that you chose to spend the holidays with us at Blue Haven. We will certainly pass your kind comments on to all staff especially those you were kind enough to remember and mention by name. We hope you are able to return soon!
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I am writing this review on my last night (sigh) before heading to my second resort. I booked the oceanfront deluxe one-bedroom suite. I wanted to get this review in before the holiday rush for anybody still looking to book or are staying and not sure what to expect.
Firstly, ignore the previous reviewer (R3M2013). Trust a reviewer that has actually stayed here as Blue Haven and not another former resort.

If your staying here now, we all got a bargain promotional price for Seven-Stars hotel quality. We last stayed at the Gansevoort and would pick this place any day. To better prepare for your stay, be open-minded and understand they are going through some growing pains but are revamping and eager to please. Seek out what you what - don't wait around wanting the employees to anticipate your concerns or needs. They want to make your stay a pleasure so just ask for what you need to make your stay comfortable.

I hope nobody complaints about the location. You must know when you book it's in Leeward and next door to Grace Bay area! Yes, you require a car but it's not far from all the great sites.

Room:
Extraordinary. My ocean front was on the ground level - highly recommended if you have lil ones because they just walk outside from the patio and the beach is your backyard. The room was about 1,200 square foot (larger than most condo's in metropolis cities) and featured the following: Cabinet panel refrigerator and dishwasher and full kitchen/appliances. The fridge is mega big. You will be inspired to cook. There are two wall mounted TV's (bedroom and living room with a good selection of satellite TV channels), ceiling fans, deep soaker tub, large bathroom, organized closet (with shelving and storage area), laundry (we did laundry almost daily!), tall ceilings, lots of counter space and storage in the bathroom, and did I mention ocean front?!

Pro's:
1. Beach service - You have access to a pool/beach bar and an attendant that brings a menu from Salt. I loved the beach service - my toddler always walked onto the beach looking forward to asking for "fries."

2. Turn down service - The room is made twice daily.

3. Room service - Yes, you read that right. There is no menu but you can order via phone or just walk to the restaurant and give them your order and they will deliver. We typically ordered dessert and tea or coffee at the end of the night.

4. Hygiene and cleanliness - Spotless resort. My toddler walked around barefoot all day. Thanks to the ladies for washing all my dishes!

5. The best staff - Courteous and eager to please employees that enjoy their job and want to be there. We just booked a 'family photo shoot' on the resort before we depart. They brought ice cream for my toddler on the beach. They were willing to give us a late check-out without additional cost (as I've read that occurs at other resorts in T&C).

6. Free bottles of water that are replenished daily in your bedroom.

7. Calm oceanfront/bay or marina area. If you go past 4-5 ft, the sand becomes smoother. Beach is not rough - you can walk barefoot. My toddler walked barefoot the entire time and was fine.

8. Ocean is warm enough to swim in this region.

9. Restaurants on site - great selection, taste, setting and ambience. There are ocean views and indoor/outdoor seating options at Salt.

10. Well equipped fitness room.

11. Close enough to Salt Mills and Grace Bay area.

12. Free wifi across the beach and hotel - EXCELLENT RECEPTION.

13. Comfortable beds. You will sleep very well and your back will thank you for it!

14. Hammocks strung on palm trees; comfortable lounge chairs with umbrella's that are placed close to the water's edge. You will never need to save the chairs. I don't think any of the guests ever did that. There are bar stools in the pool (although chilly).

15. If you care about the bedroom style/decor/furnishings/space and amenities - this is the hotel for you. If you believe that you just need a place to sleep and don't need to frills of a nice room then this may not be the place for you.

It really is a fabulous resort for the value and everything this resort has to offer and the price point. T&C is not a bargain island. The price we paid for five nights is comparable to Seven Stars for one night (in terms of ocean front, 1 bedroom suite).

Area for improvement or suggestions:
1. Beach service - The attendant should come around every 15-30 min to ask for drink or food orders; I bet more guests would actually be motivated to order if the attendant asked rather than waiting to be hailed and asked. Maybe they don't want to disturb guests but it would help your business!
2. Put restaurant menu's in the room.
3. I would prefer to give a tip than pay a general service fee that is supposed to be distributed among all the employees (not sure if that's really happening).
4. The beach attendant could walk around with fruit (e.g., pineapple) on a skewer or other treats. It would probably get the guests hungry to order food from the menu!
5. Happy hour drinks that could start earlier in the winter (3 or 4 PM).
6. Please install a safe in all the bedrooms.
7. Outdoor shower to rinse off the sand (I know the missing part is on back order).
8. Beach activities such as:
- beach toys for kids (buckets, shovels, balls, sand trays); consider renting them or signing them out to guests.
- floatation devices
- water activities (without going to the marina) such as trikes, hobby cat, etc. (non-motorized to keep the peace)
9. Install DVD players in the room; offer DVD's or small book library?
10. Shallow pillows are needed; the ones provided are great but better for broad shouldered and larger body frames.
11. Hurry up and open the market and spa. It is going to be even better when this building is ready.

Enjoy your stay fellow travellers. I hope you give this resort a try and love it as much as my family did. Cheers.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms (first and second floors) have screened in porches.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank AKCToronto
Resort_Team, Manager at Blue Haven Resort, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
We are truly delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at Blue Haven. Thank you so much for posting your comments and feedback – these are very useful for us and for future guests. Your suggestions for improvements are very inspired and we will absolutely review each at our next management meeting. We have already addressed a number of the items you mentioned – we are finalizing the restaurant menus for the rooms; the in room safes are on order; outdoor show is on order as are new pillows. The market and the spa will be open in early February!

We do have floating bean bags for complimentary use on the beach, in the ocean and in the pool as for water sports, we believe in offering expert guidance and world-class water sports activities to our guests due to our unique location in close proximity to the best watersports grounds in Turks and Caicos. Therefore, we have partnered with Big Blue Unlimited located directly adjacent to us and they offer a preferred rate for our guests that wish to partake in these great watersports activities like kite boarding, Stand-up paddleboarding, kayaking, diving or boat excursions. The general service charge is a standard procedure in Turks and Caicos and is collected by all hotels. Again, we thank you for your excellent feedback and we look forward to having you back with us.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife and I are three-time visitors to Leeward, the first of which was our honeymoon. We were completely in love with the resort--quiet, secluded, private, and perfect for people that enjoy their privacy and don't like the hustle and bustle of a big, famous resort.

Apparently, years ago, Leeward was a very happening place indeed. But, after falling on hard times, many of the rooms became private condos and a subset of them were rented out. There was no restaurant, no private pool-side bar, no spa. But there was a gym, there were lounge chairs, and there was the water. And quite frankly, it was perfect.

And even more amazing, the resort was exceptionally affordable. In our most recent stay, we booked a 2-bedroom ocean-view suite for seven nights. The total price, including taxes and fees, was $2,714. This, by the way, included a free car and cellphone (for island use).

Given all this, I was amazed at how private it was. I can't say how perfect Leeward was--and Donn was (and is) wonderful. He was always there to help and make your stay as enjoyable as he could. Donn is definitely an asset to Leeward, and we looked forward to seeing him every time.

But now, I guess they are under new owners. The last time we were there, they were in the middle of building up the place and getting it ready. My big concern was that we were soon to lose our secluded, romantic getaway. Today I went to look up some prices for our fourth trip to give the new look a shot, and was stunned to see that, even given a 25% "discount" they post on their site, the 2-bedroom ocean-view suite is now $4,163. And naturally, no car or cell phone.

The price jump was shocking--I do understand, new owners, new rules. And I imagine the new bar, restaurant, marina, and spa are nice amenities, but I do not think they are included in the price. I must admit, the past times we've been at Leeward I kept thinking it was all too good to be true and could not last, and it turns out I was right. Perhaps Blue Haven is every bit as romantic and private as Leeward was, but they sure surprised me with the price jump.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank R3M2013
Resort_Team, Manager at Blue Haven Resort, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for your visit and for your review. You are correct that the property has gone through an ownership transition with major improvements so that we are able to offer our guests the resort amenities that should be expected of a destination such as Blue Haven. These include room upgrades, top of the line towels and linens, 3 dining outlets, a convenience store and full market, spa, pool bar and new pool furniture, serviced beach, Guests Services Team, all new watersports, outdoor activities like volleyball, horseshoes and more – many of which can be enjoyed by resort guests at no additional charge. Our Grand Opening will actually be held this weekend! Donn is still here... smiling & singing as usual! Our goal is remain as romantic and private as you remember. We are sure you will not be disappointed on your next visit.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

You may be confused by my title...let me explain. We recently visited this lovely oasis but they were two weeks away from their official opening date which translated into tons of landscapers busily toiling away (not that we were bothered but it was our first impression of the resort); there were contractors, painting and spackling the reception area; and unfortunately no breakfast service. Thanks to the amenable and knowledgeable staff at BH, we found Fresh at The Atrium who made sure that our breakfast needs were met.

What made our stay here so wonderful was the lack of tons of tourists (which I'm sure will change); our lovely suite and the most friendly and accommodating staff we've ever encountered. We have to give special mention to our concierge, Sharick, who went out of his way to make our stay wonderful and make us happy. We also have to gratefully mention the efforts of Alberto, Shauna of the resort and Jennie at Salt Bar & Grill!

As a seasoned traveler, I can tell that within a few weeks, Blue Haven is going to be the go-to resort on the island for tourists who desire a spot off the beaten path with a friendly, professional and cooperative staff. Remember, this spot is on the Leewards side of the island, not Grace Bay...so if you need tons of amenities and crowds, this may not be the place for you. However, if you need a quiet getaway surrounded by a beautiful marina, a lovely staff and the beauty of nature, book Blue Haven today.

Room Tip: I would definitely opt for a room on the 4th or 5th floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SonyLoren
Resort_Team, Manager at Blue Haven Resort, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you very much for your review - we're glad you enjoyed your stay at our quiet and peaceful resort. You are correct, we are gearing up for our Grand Opening on December 6th, but with such a small number of rooms, it is our aim to remain an oasis. We will certainly pass your compliments onto Sharick, Alberto and the others you were kind enough to mention by name. We very much look forward to having you back with us when we have 3 dining outlets, a convenience store, spa, pool bar, upgraded services and outdoor activities and so much more.
houston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

My friends and I stayed at the property in May 2013. We reserved a three bedroom condo. Upon arrival, they informed us they didn't have the condo we reserved. In order to make up for it, the staff told us we would pay the fee for a two bedroom condo and comp a one bedroom unit. At checkout, they tried to charge us for the full amount, including the deposit we had already paid. After much discussion, they only charged us for the difference quoted to us on check in. Two months later, they charged my credit card for the full difference. When I asked about it, I was told "that was our mistake to tell you that, but we are going to charge you anyway." I protested with my credit card company. When I finally got to speak with the Blue Haven manager, he told me that the staff had NO authority to negotiate different room rates or comps. There is no posted policy that only the manager can make those negotiations, so we trusted the staff's word.

The property is beautiful and we enjoyed our stay, but heed my advice - don't trust what the staff says. Get EVERY promise in writing from the MANAGER.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
16 Thank g8rfrog
Resort_Team, Manager at Blue Haven Resort, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
We regret that there was a misunderstanding during your booking process. Since you booked a 3 bedroom suite and receive the added benefit of a 2 bedroom suite and a 1 bedroom suite, it was always our intent to only charge you for the 3 bedroom rate, which is substantially lower than the combined rate. Clearly our team was unable to communicate this to you properly and we apologize for this.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed the great location and facilities that Blue Haven has to offer. May 2013 was the month we started our soft opening, our grand opening is Dec 6th and much has changed and improved in last 6 months. We hope that you will return and give our young and dynamic team another opportunity to wow you.