“Wish I would have eaten here earlier!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chinson's Grill Shack

Chinson's Grill Shack
Price range: US$3 - US$25
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Carmel, IN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wish I would have eaten here earlier!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

If I had known about this place earlier in our trip, we would have eaten here more. Everyone's dish was excellent. The curried goat was better than I have ever had it. The jerk chicken was amazing. Eat here early in your trip so you have time to come back.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Schurchillppc

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Food we didn't like with live entertainment of the highway and pedestrians; but great bathrooms!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We may be naive when it comes to authentic West Indies fare, but what I'll say for my family of 6 that had lunch here is that no-one really liked the experience.

This was on the way to the airport for us since we stayed in a house on the South-Western side of the island. From what I saw of Provo, the far majority of tourist stay up in the North-East part and this part of the middle-island was citizens. The restaurant is on the highway, and opened at 11-ish island time for lunch. We had to get something on the way to the airport because the T&C airport for those who haven't experienced yet is like the depiction of non-western hot climate places: no food, poor seating, no AC, and I swear I saw a chicken running around. Anyway, we didn't have another place to eat with time-frame and options are limited coming from our side.

The building itself was a small yellow block building with two small plastic tables inside and about 6 picnic tables outside with umbrellas for each. You are overlooking the highway, and can be entertained with the busy pedestrian traffic in life sized game of Frogger. There was a great breeze to off-set the immense heat, but that same breeze kept closing the umbrellas on many tables including ours and our heads. There is an outside bar that seemed popular with what I'm guessing are residents for to-go orders.

The menu was limited, at least for our tastes. Chicken, seafood, and Chinese food. We had kids with us, so they were being more finicky than usual. It took some creativity to just order. The drinks were in bottles from water, pop, and tea.

Our food came, again using island-time, and we all just knew that we would be hungry until we reached our connection in the states. My kids barely touched their chicken and they ordered some macaroni and cheese dish that came out in a block shape but ate some fries. My jerk chicken wasn't too appetizing either. My wife didn't eat her jerk chicken either.

The prices weren't too off-base relative to the island which means it was very expensive but not the highest we've seen on the island.

The staff was very friendly. And their bathrooms were clean and nice; which is a big deal here!

I'll say that it just wasn't for us, a Western family with picky children.

1 Thank Seamus S
Los Angeles, California
“Unique and Tasty #FromCAandTXtoParadise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just came back from Turks and Caicos (8/6) and my BF still raves about the jerk chicken from Chinson. Lets just say during the whole meal, he was very quiet and the only words he said after asking how was the chicken was "Good, Very Good!" And needless to say, he continued to polish off the rest of the chicken in silence with an exception to some finger licking sounds. He wouldn't even share with me. He told me to get my own meal. The pineapple slaw was delicious and i tried the plantains with my meal. We ate all over the island and he still raves about their jerk chicken. (Comparisons: Jerk Chicken Festival - Grace, Fish Fry Festival - Crackpot Kitchen.) Our friends tried the ribs as well which they said was very good. We wanted to try to Jerk Pork, but they ran out. The owner greeted us as well as the main hostess to make sure we were enjoying our meal. Everyone was very cordial and basically said that this is also our home. They made us feel very welcomed. The best night to go would be a friday night (says the owner) but we enjoyed our meal without any lines and tables readily available on a Tuesday evening. You can see the cook smoking the chicken in the smoker and then re-grilling right in front of you. We definitely enjoyed Chinson. This place should be on the top of your list to eat if you plan on being on Provo. Its definitely represents the local life and culture of the island if thats what you are looking for (Other Suggestion: Bugaloos for the local fish). Oh and water is so overpriced on the island - and Chinson sold us water bottles for 1 dollar =) #summervacation #balleronabudget #fromCAandTXtoParadise

• Visited August 2014
Houston, Texas
“Should be higher rated! Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this place. It really should be higher in rating than it is. This is truly a locals place. Not a touristy place, but good down home cooking. So it's a little fatty...who cares? The flavor is amazing. The service was amazing. It had just rained and Mar, our waitress, wiped down our table for us, not once but twice. We decided to change tables to get out of the sun when it came out. She always was smiling. We loved you Mar, in case you read this!! The atmosphere was so laid back, reggae music playing in the background. The view is great. Its on top of a hill so you can see the ocean vista. Mr. Chinson the owner, was there, and came over and chatted with us for awhile. Seemed genuinely interested in where we were from, etc. Very nice man. The jerk chicken, pork was excellent. The slaw, peas/rice....everything was so good. Truly belly busting! Would definitely recommend this place. It's a must!!!!

• Visited June 2014
San Francisco, California
“Something different, but still very enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Went here once while living in Provo, wanted to go back but I end up cooking a lot instead. The food was all tasty, the homemade ginger beer even better. The owner came to the tables and talked to you, i liked that a lot. I just wish I was able to go more.

• Visited June 2014