“Great food!”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Great local spot. Worth the drive. Must get: mac n cheese, pineapple slaw, peas (aka beans) n rice. Portions are big enough to share!
Best coleslaw on the island...possibly the world! The chicken or beef patties are great too. Jerk chicken was not too spicy.

2  Thank sammiegrammie
There are newer reviews for Chinson's Grill Shack

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Prefacing this with the fact that we live in NYC, love to eat, and have been to countless places, many good, many bad. Chinson's is hands down one of the best meals I've ever had.

On vacation we like to try as many different places as possible but we liked this so much we went twice! (and stopped by before our flight to bring some of their sauce and specialty fresh baked bread back home).

Jerk Chicken and Curried Goat were spectacular. Huge portions, incredibly friendly staff and management. They go out of their way to make you feel like family. If you are staying at a resort that is not in this area, take a cab to get over here. It's absolutely worth it.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

As I set out to post our experience, seeing the reviews reminded me that it takes all kinds and I'm sure some days are better than others... for all of us. In our case, lunch was a firmly positive experience completed in the hour we had before hitting the airport. Yes there is a Do-It-Center across the street, but past that you do have a view of the ocean blue that reminds you were you are. For us, this wasn't a dining by the sea experience, it was about exploring food as we were on the hunt for Jerk Chicken. The flair: We sat on the Patio and were welcomed by Michael, part of the restaurant's family business. He expressively chatted us up with much background on some of the questions we had accumulated about the island. He is one of those people whose genuine energy is contagious! The Fare: Our order was taken promptly and we were able to experience Jamaican patties that were deliciously tasteful. The jerk chicken arrived within an appropriate time-frame, as it should be: slow cooked, layered in Jerk and on the broken bone. Another in our party had the goat and gave big kudos to his lunch. A solid moment for food for us!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

If I had known about this place earlier in our trip, we would have eaten here more. Everyone's dish was excellent. The curried goat was better than I have ever had it. The jerk chicken was amazing. Eat here early in your trip so you have time to come back.

1  Thank Schurchillppc
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We may be naive when it comes to authentic West Indies fare, but what I'll say for my family of 6 that had lunch here is that no-one really liked the experience.

This was on the way to the airport for us since we stayed in a house on the South-Western side of the island. From what I saw of Provo, the far majority of tourist stay up in the North-East part and this part of the middle-island was citizens. The restaurant is on the highway, and opened at 11-ish island time for lunch. We had to get something on the way to the airport because the T&C airport for those who haven't experienced yet is like the depiction of non-western hot climate places: no food, poor seating, no AC, and I swear I saw a chicken running around. Anyway, we didn't have another place to eat with time-frame and options are limited coming from our side.

The building itself was a small yellow block building with two small plastic tables inside and about 6 picnic tables outside with umbrellas for each. You are overlooking the highway, and can be entertained with the busy pedestrian traffic in life sized game of Frogger. There was a great breeze to off-set the immense heat, but that same breeze kept closing the umbrellas on many tables including ours and our heads. There is an outside bar that seemed popular with what I'm guessing are residents for to-go orders.

The menu was limited, at least for our tastes. Chicken, seafood, and Chinese food. We had kids with us, so they were being more finicky than usual. It took some creativity to just order. The drinks were in bottles from water, pop, and tea.

Our food came, again using island-time, and we all just knew that we would be hungry until we reached our connection in the states. My kids barely touched their chicken and they ordered some macaroni and cheese dish that came out in a block shape but ate some fries. My jerk chicken wasn't too appetizing either. My wife didn't eat her jerk chicken either.

The prices weren't too off-base relative to the island which means it was very expensive but not the highest we've seen on the island.

The staff was very friendly. And their bathrooms were clean and nice; which is a big deal here!

I'll say that it just wasn't for us, a Western family with picky children.

1  Thank Seamus S