“Is it too good to be true??? NO, it's better!”
Review of West Bay Club

West Bay Club
Ranked #9 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
“Is it too good to be true??? NO, it's better!”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I live and die by TripAdvisor and felt it was my duty to post a review of the West Bay Club as I booked my stay based on the TA reviews I read...

First let me tell you a little bit about myself. My wife and I travel a great deal, and this was our first trip with our 6 month old. We have a certain standard of the type of place we like to stay, and we typically stay at higher end Starwood properties (Westin, W, Le Meridien, and St Regis). This was our first time to TCI and we just wanted a nice escape at a great resort... I researched pretty much the top 20 places on TA and we decided to go with WBC- and it was one of the best travel decisions I have ever made....

Everything I have read on the TA reviews was 100% accurate and we couldn't have imagined a better place to stay.

Pros:
Amazing and friendly staff (contrary to what some have noted about the front desk staff- they were nothing but friendly). As many have mentioned, Renee is the go to person for any reservations, activities, etc... She is super friendly and knows everything you would need to know about the island. The beach staff is amazing- lead by Charles, William, and Reno... They set up our chairs everyday (and went out of their way to make sure our baby had enough shade). I introduced myself to the GM Dane and he was absolutely great. Very visible on sight and approachable.

Rooms: We stayed in the 1 BR luxury, oceanfront room. Absolutely stunning. Can't describe it any other way. Unobstructed views from the living room, bedroom, and even the bathroom mirror reflects the ocean. Rooms are modern and immaculate. The kitchen was perfect for us as my wife had to make formula for the baby. There is even a wine cooler in the kitchen which I utilized. The 1/2 bathroom even had a washer and dryer which was an added plus. There is a great Sony Bravia 42"+ TV in the living room with a great LG sound system which was perfect for us (we watched season 3 of The Wire at night). The bedroom has another 37" or so TV. Ipod docking station in the bedroom as well. Bathroom is great with a soaking tub and standing shower. The bath products were more than acceptable.

Beach real estate: As many have mentioned, WBC is on the best stretch (and widest stretch) of beach. Only the Gansevoort is next door (looks exactly like the WBC and I felt it was quite overpriced.)

Beach activities: I went paddle surfing daily (free), 5 min walk to great snorkeling. Didn't do any sailing, etc because of the baby.

Pool: Nothing overwhelming here but very nice. Never more than 8-10 people at poolside (why bother with the amazing beach right there.)

Gym: Nice enough. If you are going to the gym on vaca, then you have issues :-)

Breakfast: Seems to be the one issue which gets complaints... It is basic for sure: coffee, juice, fruits, cereal, toast/bagels, pastries, and yogurt. A limited a la cart menu of eggs, french toast which serves the purpose. I really didn't find issue with the breakfast. It's convenient and serves the purpose. When we wanted an elaborate breakfast, we went to Somewhere Cafe (5 min walk). If you aren't going to pick WBC because of the breakfast, than you are really missing the point here.
Also, if food is that much of an issue, you can easily cook a full breakfast in your room as the kitchen is fully stocked with all the equipment you would need and the IGA grocery store is about 15 min away.

I am going to include a quick food review here as well because, well, we love food. Food is definitely pricey- especially at all of the 'touristy' places.

Dinner:
Best place by far: Magnolia. Amazing setup and sunset view.
Dinner of a sampler app, 2 entrees (lamb chops, tofu coconut curry), 1 desert, 3 cocktails was around $140. Completely worth it. NYC standard for food.

Coco Bistro: Had to check it out. Gets bashed a bit as every #1 place would (it's rating on TA). We found this to be a close second to Magnolia. Great aura, great service, good+ food. Same type of order as above, same type of price.

Lemon Cafe: Also gets a lot of hype. We thought it was good, not great (especially compared to similar cuisine in NYC). Also, they had "run out" of a few things that I really wanted to try (chick pea fritters, calamari...). Wound up having chicken tagine and the lamb burger for entrees. App was chicken kabobs and mint yogurt (definitely not memorable as I had to look up what we ordered!) Second tier from those listed above, but worth checking out if you have time. (Someone we met had the chick pea fritters and said they were amazing.... so take it for what you want.)

Hemingways: Skip it at all costs. Terrible service and worse food. We were so excited to eat the conch- and then we got a piece of rubber that was breaded and deep fried... We almost missed out on what conch is all about (until we hit da conch shack- see below).

Pizza-Pizza: We needed one night at home since the baby was being fussy and we had this local pizza... Was surprised at how good it was. Nice bar to hang out as well.

Lunch:
Da conch shack: Lives up to the hype. Absolutely amazing. We had the conch sampler platter which included cracked conch and conch fritters... Accompanied by rum punch and a great view... Amazing. The platter plus 3 rum punches = $40.

Somewhere Cafe: About 5 min walk down the beach. Mexican fare. absolutely amazing fish (grouper) tacos. Nice outside setup- reminded me of "the Office" in Cabo.
Fish tacos + chorizo burrito, and 3 beers = $55.

Atlantic Grill: At WBC, lunch included fish fajitas and a mango vinaigrette salad. Was pretty good. Lunch + 3 beers, around $50.

Las Barisas: Awesome hidden jewel thats a decent drive away... Amazing lagoon views, great drinks, and great food. $50+ for lunch...

Last but not least, you have to check out Taylor Bay Beach... Was the second nicest beach I have ever seen in my life outside of Matira Beach in Bora Bora... Impossible to find, but Renee can tell you how to get there... My wife, child and I were the only three people on an infinite stretch of beach... We had a car (which I definitely recommend as cabs are quite expensive) and it was a 15 min drive.

Car: Used a AAA discount and got a nice little car for $268 for the week. Definitely worth it...

I hope that helped, we are absolutely returning to TCI next year and there isn't another place I would stay than the WBC... Don't even think about staying elsewhere. WBC is PERFECT. We left on Friday and we have been in 100% withdrawal since....

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
24 Thank metsguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2011

This was the first vacation my husband and I took without our kids in more years that I want to say. It was A+++ all the way. The minute we arrived, we were greeted with a rum punch and a delightful and friendly staff. We stayed in a gorgeous one bedroom apartment that was so luxurious we couldn't believe our eyes. It had a spectacular terrace overlooking the beach where we ate all of our meals--and did lots of napping. There's a washer and dryer in the unit, a magnificent kitchen (better than I have at home!), a luxurious master bath, and a bed that lulls you into the most amazing sleep. The beach is the most gorgeous one I've ever been to, and it was just steps from our apartment. White powdery sand and water a turquoise color that I'd never seen before. Each day we'd go to the beach and one of the lovely and charming West Bay attendants would set up chaises and umbrellas for us and arrange the towels on the chairs perfectly. We went snorkeling, took the Hobie Cat out four times and watched as other guests tried windsurfing. The West Bay employees are amazing at water sports and took lots of time helping guests learn how to use all the equipment. The resort is beautiful--and they spend a lot of time making sure that everything looks right. The staff was able to answer all of our questions, help us with dinner reservations, book taxis, all with a lovely manner. Best part of the stay was watching a wedding at the resort right from our terrace. It was wonderful and I can't wait to go back again and again!

4 Thank tripfan141
New York City
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in late February. We stayed in a studio which was on the ground floor and was a good size with large nice bathroom. Only issue is that it was facing the courtyard and did not get much sun. Breakfast was simple and acceptable - we did not have another meals from their restaurant.

Beach was awesome and they have a hobie cat, wind surfer, paddle boards, kayaks and snorkeling gear you can just take whenever you want. Beach was amazing and they have lounge chairs, towels and free bottles of water. The pool in the courtyard was also nice but we spent most of our time out on the beach.

My only issue was that the front desk service was spotty - almost befuddled, but it turns out service is not the strong suit of most of the workers we encountered on Provo. You get used to it, but coming from NYC and paying the prices charged I expected the service to be high quality across the board.

Anyway, great relaxing stay at the West Bay Club and will def go back.

• Stayed February 2011
Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We celebrated our 20th anniversary at the West Bay Club and absolutely loved it there! We stayed in a 1 bedroom luxury and it was simply beautiful. The rooms were large and very well appointed. The views from our room and balcony were absolutely breathtaking. WBC sits on a wonderfully quiet but absolutely beautiful stretch of the beach. The beach here is very wide and we never felt like we were competing for space. There is only one resort directly adjacent to the WBC so the activity is fairly light on that part of the beach.
Our goal for this entire trip was to relax and do a lot of "nothing". The staff at West bay Club were happy to make this goal an easy reality for us. The gentlemen at the beach were wonderful in making sure we had everything we needed and even helped us out with the water sports equipment and activities. They also recognized when we just wanted to be left alone. Renee was very friendly and did a wonderful job making dinner reservations and booking snorkeling tours for us. We also found the other workers at the front desk to be friendly and helpful. Although we didn't have much contact with Dane, the manager, during our stay, we have been in email contact with him since we returned home. He has been extremely helpful and very responsive on all occasions.
The included breakfast was adequate for our needs. We utilized the bicycles provided at WBC to ride to the grocery store for water and snacks (we highly recommend this for cost cutting and for the experience) which we usually ate for lunch.We did not eat at the WBC restaurant, but chose to try some of the restaurants recommended by others on Tripadvisor. We ate at Coyaba which was very good with good service, Bagatelle (walking distance next door) which was good but more expensive, Coco Bistro had a great atmosphere, with good service and good food. It was our favorite until we went to Magnolia Wine Bar and Restaurant. The food was excellent, less expensive, and the sunset view was amazing. The service was really great there also. We did find out that taxis can be expensive ($30 round trip to the restaurants) but we discovered a wonderful driver named Kalvin who was very friendly and a little less expensive (you can ask for him at the front desk and they will know who you are talking about).
We would definitely recommend this resort to anyone, and already have done so many times.. We appreciate the West Bay Club for making our 20th anniversary a very special experience and a very special memory for us.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lafalot985
Atlanta
Reviewed 19 May 2011

My fiancée and I just returned from a week long stay at The West Bay Club and had an amazing vacation. The West Bay Club is truly a boutique resort, by the end of the stay we knew each staff member by name. We reserved a 1 bedroom Luxury ; very large suite, with an amazing view of Grace Bay Beach. The wireless Internet, at no charge was a blessing! We have stayed at other Caribbean resorts where there is either no Internet service or they charged you for usage. We walked the beach from WBC all the way to last resort Tuscanny (?) and WBC has the best section of beach on Grace Bay by far. The hotel was fairly full but you would never know it ; everyone was great but the beach staff was amazing!! There is a beach bar (ask for Henry) sail boat, sea kyaks, paddle boards, wind surfing equipment free of charge ; the beach attendants helped us use the equipment. The grounds and hotel were immaculate and groomed daily. We had very good meals at Atlantic Bar & Grill as well as Coco Bistro, Parallel 23, Mango reef, Somewhere on the beach (5 minute walk down the beach from WBC), Bella Luna, JoJo's cafe for lunch and Shark Bite. We made several new Friends and met actual owners who were staying at WBC at the Manager's cocktail party. It was very nice to meet the Management team and we envy them for living at this beautiful property. Next time we come back to WBC we will definitely rent a car as taxi's got to be expensive. Other points of interest were North Caicos & Middle Caicos. Daniel's Cafe in Conch Bar Town was awesome and Daniel is quite a character... We already booked for February of next year

4 Thank Christina G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Just got back from a wonderful 10-day stay at the WBC. We had both our wedding and honeymoon there and service and accommodations were outstanding. The rooms were fresh, clean and modern. The view from our 1 bedroom luxury suite was breathtaking. My favorite part was the location of the resort, by far the best beach on Grace Bay. Away from the hectic downtown and crowded beaches, it was ideal for a relaxing romantic getaway. The staff was wonderful. Renee was extremely friendly and helpful with setting up our nightly dinner reservations. The gentlemen at the beach greeted us daily with a warm hello and were more than happy to set up our chairs for us. For a great restaurant I would recommend Atlantic Bar and Grill (WBC’s restaurant), Coco Bistro and Lemon Café. Overall the WBC was a wonderful experience and we could not have chosen a better location to have a destination wedding. We will back!

5 Thank janeo2424
Dlunderwood, Manager at West Bay Club, responded to this review, 16 May 2011
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your kind words. We are delighted that you and your husband selected WBC to be the host of your wedding.
It was certainly our pleasure to organize a memorable day for you and we are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay.
Good luck to both of you; and all of us here at WBC hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Best regards
Roxana
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Just returned from a lovely week at the West Bay Club. Lots of great things to say about it: super (quiet) beach and amenities (snorkel gear, hobie cat, paddle boards, etc.), excellent service, friendly and helpful staff, nice (quiet) pool, lovely room and furnishings (great kitchen, if you want to cook), beautifuly well kept grounds. Located at the quiet end of the beach (not in the heart of Grace Bay) which for us was a big plus but if you don't rent a car, you'll take lots of taxi rides (which can get costly). Now to the one minor issue: The continental breakfast that is included REALLY needs to have more energy, quality and thought put into it. The variety and quality of the choices are pretty meager. This view was shared by other guests as well. Needs better pastries and fruit (thought the coffee was excellent) and more (rotating) daily choices. All in all, a lovely facility with lots going for it and can heartily recommend.

Room Tip: Upper floors w/full beach views are worth it.