“Perfect weekend...”
Review of West Bay Club

West Bay Club
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My new fiance and I stayed at the West Bay Club after exhaustive reviews of several Turks&Caicos resorts. We were not disappointed. The resort is at the west end of Grace Bay Beach. The resort is very quaint and quiet. Despite the resort being relatively full, it never felt crowded and there was always ample room at the pool and beach. I heard from other travelers and saw from walks down the beach how crammed some beach fronts were, and I was really glad were were on a wide, uncrowded beach with a ton of space.

The rooms are amazing - we stayed in a 1 bedroom unit and found it enormous, with views of both the pool and beach. The rooms were clean, the housekeeping nicely out-of-sight but very efficient and met all of our needs. There is free WiFi in all the rooms. The hotel grounds are well maintained. I am really not sure about the negative reviews about the food as both lunch (pizza and fajitas) and dinner (filet/tenderloin and pork tenderloin) were excellent. We also ate one lunch at Somewhere (a tex-mex about a 7 minute walk down the beach) that was some of the best tex-mex food I've ever had. Breakfast was simple continental style but more than adequate.

The beach was the nicest I've seen (I have also traveled to jamiaca and the dominican). It's at the widest point and (unlike other resorts we saw) was completely uncrowded and free of people trying to sell excursions and stuff. I have never seen water so clear - it was like pool water - and there were no big waves. The water and beach had no seaweed, and the sand was like walking on flour. The beach staff was very helpful setting up chairs and with the use of free equipment, although there was not much in the way of beach attendants coming up to you and bringing drinks.

Of note, I proposed during my trip here, and the entire resort including Roxana (general manager) were incredible in setting up a private beach dinner and decorating the room after the proposal (flowers, chamapge, etc...). They went above and beyond help make my proposal as romantic and special as it could have been.

The staff were friendly and there were no language barriers that i encountered. This is a quiet resort, so if you are expecting lots of night life and partying I would recommend a different resort. If you are looking for a nice, quiet, luxurious, low-key place to relax on an amazing beach you will be very glad you booked here.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JMLMD
Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed 13 July 2012

My husband and I just returned from an amazing trip to Provo to celebrate our one year anniversary from July 2nd-July 9th where we stayed in a one-bedroom suite at the West Bay Club. We had a wonderful time and would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room (306):
The room was extremely spacious and nicely decorated with an incredible view of the ocean from our large balcony and a pool view from two smaller balconies (kitchen and master) on the other side of the unit. Being that the property is only about 4 years old, everything was in good condition and well kept. With a full kitchen and stackable washer and dryer, this room was as spacious and comfortable as our two-bedroom condo in Chicago! We enjoyed eating some meals in the unit to save money on breakfast and lunch and the kitchen was well-stocked with all of the kitchen tools and appliances we might need.

Service:
The service at the West Bay Club was good overall. We had great experiences with the bar tenders, servers, and beach attendants. The beach attendants were particularly helpful setting up our beach chairs with towels and an umbrella for us daily - we even got a free paddle boarding lesson when it was clear that my husband and I had no idea what we were doing! Also, after loosing my sunglasses in the water on said paddle boarding experience, one of the attendants volunteered to go look for them with a snorkel mask! We decided to tackle the search ourselves (and found the glasses - yay!), but were impressed with this level of service. The only negative experience we had was with some of the front desk attendants. Overall, a few of the women working the desk seemed a little cold and not very friendly. After our power went out (for a bit on the whole island, and then basically all day for West Bay Club), the front desk attendant seemed pretty annoyed when we asked for information about the power coming back on. I realize all of the guests had probably been asking the same question all day, but it was definitely an inconvenience for us (with food in the refrigerator and freezer), so we were anxious to know when it'd be back on.

Overall Property:
The overall property is beautiful, with gorgeous ocean views from most of the rooms, the pool area, and some common areas. The pool was very nice, but nothing spectacular - so if you're looking for an over-the-top pool, this is not your place. It was also a fairly quiet property, with few, if any, people a the bar each night. The general vibe is very laid-back and definitely not a party atmosphere, but that worked out fine for us since we were not expecting that from this trip. If you are looking for a trendier atmosphere, you could easily walk next-door to the bar or restaurant of the Gansevoort. In general, though, we loved the feel of this property and felt very relaxed throughout our trip.

Location:
The location of the West Bay Club is at the far end of Grace Bay Beach, in a quiet and fairly private part of the beach. The beach itself was never crowded, which was wonderful, since there aren't really any other hotels very close to it aside from the Gansevoort next door. We loved how serene the beach felt and commented several times that we would not have liked to have stayed in the more crowded part of Grace Bay Beach. The negative to the location is that it is NOT centrally located to many of the restaurants we tried out (Coco Bistro, Bay Bistro, Mango Reef, Lemon). Due to the high cab fare and because we didn't mind walking along beautiful Grace Bay Beach, we walked down to Bay Bistro and Mango Reef. These walks took about 30 or more minutes, and we walk at a pretty fast pace. With a full moon, walking home wasn't bad from the Mango Reef one night, but when we walked home from Bay Bistro there were a few stretches of beach that I did not feel comfortable walking on late at night since it was so dark without the light from the moon! After speaking to a local resident a couple of days later, we found that it's usually not recommended to walk that far on the beach at night. Oops! It would've been fine to walk there and cab it back, but remember that cab prices are a bit outrageous. The one restaurant we tried out that was close to the property was Somewhere, which we loved! (We only ate at the West Bay Club's restaurant for the included breakfast and one lunch - nothing fabulous, but not bad). Somewhere is a great little restaurant/bar at the Coral Gardens Hotel down the beach, and maybe a 10 minute walk at the most (just past what we called "The Ruins" - looked like a hotel/condo project that lost funding and halted construction). I would definitely recommend heading to Somewhere for a drink, Guac and Chips, and a great view of the sunset from the upstairs bar! It has some pretty good Mexican food!

We loved all of the beach amenities that were included - paddle boarding, snorkels/fins, Hobie (like a mini sailboat - we never tried it out though), and kayaks, plus tons of beach toys for kids available. We did use the fitness center once, which is pretty basic, but did the trick, and we didn't look into any spa treatments or book any excursions with the front desk, so can't comment on that. Nice to know it was available, though. We did, however, rent a jeep on our last day to explore Chalk Sound and some of the other parts of the island, and the front desk set that up for us without a problem. I would definitely recommend going to Chalk Bay and Las Brisas Restaurant - the water is such a gorgeous turquoise on that part of the island (the food at Las Brisas was okay - kinda greasy for us, but the view was fabulous)!

Restaurant/Bar:
We only ate at the restaurant (Atlantic) for the included continental breakfast (about 4 of the days) and lunch one day, so I can't speak too much about the food there. However, breakfast was pretty basic with fruit, cereal, bread, bagels, yogurt, and croissants plus coffee, tea, juice, and water. It was nice to have some breakfast options without having to pay for a big meal, but again, it was pretty basic and overall, just okay. It was also always a bit of a challenge eating breakfast without the flies getting to it first! They did try to keep everything covered the best they could, but the flies were inevitable. For lunch, my husband had a mixed greens salad with seared ahi tuna and I had a caprese salad. Both dishes were fine for lunch, but nothing spectacular. I will say that we enjoyed buying drinks from Norman at the bar - he was very helpful and created a drink for me that wasn't on the menu when I told him the flavors I was looking for. The drinks are really expensive, but we expected that (and luckily we had made a trip to the store for some of our own drinks to keep in the room!).

Overall, we had a great first trip to Provo, and would stay at West Bay Club if we visited again. We even met two other great couples as well as some local residents who own at the West Bay Club which made our trip that much better!

Room Tip: We had plenty of space AND an amazing view from the one bedroom suite. We looked into the one bedro...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jillmarieChicago
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This is a great place for the money. Our room was huge and very seemingly luxurious! Great bed, nice shower. The only grudge i would have is that the food, anytime before dinner was just really so so. I wouldve liked to stay by this beach or pool and spend my money there. But my partner and I ended up going to other resorts to eat sadly. They lost out on hundreds of dollars because of this. The staff was great for the most part friendly and nice. Some were much more knowledgeable and helpful than others. i believe it was Asa or Ansa?? She was great in helping us book tours!! Also no real bar or pool scene, if you want that go down the block to the Gansevoort or Somewhere. All in all a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms with a partial Ocean view are really worth the $$. Way less expensive than full view and bette...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GrassDoesntGrow
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My fiancee and I had our wedding there on June 16th. The staff was courteous and helpful. They made our stay very pleasant. Roxanne made the wedding go without a hitch even when threats of a storm were on the horizon. Luckily the storm passed and the wedding turned out beautiful. The rooms were immaculate. We would definitely return again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AnnaW1234
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My fiancé and I returned from a wonderful stay at The West Bay Club. I was prepared to write a review describing our great experience and then I stumbled upon Elissa N’s post. Granted that each traveler’s experience is different both my fiancé and I couldn’t be more surprised. Could that be an error, did we experienced a different resort? We spent six days at The West Bay Club and we don’t have enough nice words to describe the staff attentiveness, the great service and the beautiful surroundings. Upon arrival you are greeted by friendly staff with complimentary and delicious rum punch – we learned later on that this is Norman’s recipe. We had a studio room which doesn’t have an ocean view but since we spent most of the time outdoor’s the extra savings was put to good use. The room was immaculate and the cleaning lady did a nice job without disturbing our routine. The beach attendants – which I will not call by name since I don’t want to misspell or miss any- were fabulous. They took great care of us, not only with the basic beach service but mid day they will bring complimentary watermelon, a perfect cold snack . Shacarra the concierge arranged excursions for us on the Dream Tour half a day which is super nice and a must experience. We went out to dinner almost every night and Coco Bistro was our favorite; if you can get a reservation it’s worth the experience. Mango Reef, the Shark Bite have great menus. Stele next door to Gansevoort was closed for a private function one evening but then we walked to Somewhere on the beach for Mexican style food and live music. We ate at the local restaurant Atlantic Bar and Grill mostly lunch since the breakfast was complimentary. I have several food allergies so the chefs Alex , Maria and Mammy helped me a lot with special and very testy lunch dishes. My fiancé will not forgive me if I don’t mention Norman and Alvaro the bartenders with wicked drink mixes.. Like everyone else, before we embarked on this trip we did our research and found TripAdvisor a very helpful tool. Nevertheless like everyone else we take all the postings with a grain of salt. Our overall experience at the West Bay Club and in Provo was more than we anticipated; we will recommend the island and The West Bay Club to our family and friends and we will certainly return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank anna h
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Our experience with the West Bay club, albeit short, was abhorrent. Upon arrival, we were shown our room, which wreaked of mold and was not all what we had expected for over $400 a night. Under normal circumstances, this would be unacceptable, but to worsen matters, my friend is highly allergic to mold and we unquestionably needed another room. That being said, we were flexible and willing to pay more for other accommodations, however the hotel was fully booked. Their solution to the problem was to clean the room "again" – which, as many of you know, mopping a room does not exactly solve a mold problem.

We sought out the manager to look into alternatives and at the very least, get our money back. Instead of treating us with the courtesy and respect that one would expect from a supposed “luxury” hotel, we were immediately put on the defensive and approached by a rude and curt manager who refused to reimburse us our three night deposit. We never even put our bags down in the room.

Clearly, at the West Bay Club, the customer is never right and we were unable to gain any sort of satisfaction. Instead, we were turned away and forced to look elsewhere. Mind you, we were two young girls, under the age of 30 who had never been to the island before. We were frantically calling our parents for help as we did not even have access to the internet to even obtain the addresses of other hotels. We felt completely stranded. This was not an ideal way to start our vacation.

Ultimately, we ended up staying at the Alexandra, which was phenomenal and much higher quality for the same price - not to mention, incredible service. We are still fighting the West Bay Club for our money back given their stringent deposit policy and we advise you find somewhere else to stay as anything would be better than having to deal with the West Bay Club in any capacity.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
14  Thank Elissa N
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear reviewer, I regret that you ranked The West Bay Club as poor since you didn’t even put your bags down in the room you selected or experience the resort. Given that you took the time to publish your opinion in such a slanderous manner I will offer my retort. Upon arrival you and your friend found the studio room you reserved not to your liking. You mentioned your disapproval to the Front Desk agent before abruptly leaving the premises. I know that because I questioned why your bags were left at the FD so long. Please note that if we knew you were pursuing other accommodations we would’ve made all attempts to assist you, give you directions or facilitate phone access. WBC internet is complimentary; therefore for your research you could’ve used your PC or the computer located in the guest lounge. However you choose to leave before asking or allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance. Upon your return at The West Bay Club, to my surprise I learned directly from you that you made a reservation at another hotel because you didn’t like the location of the condo and because you believe the room smelled musty. Since the guest is right most of the time, I personally checked the room along with the lodging team leader; none of us noted a musty odor. Remarkably, we had no complaints from the guest that enjoyed the same condo just prior to your arrival. However we offered to give the studio room another clean to be on the safe side. But you refused. During your brief interaction with me and our team we treated you with outmost professionalism, courtesy and respect.
In the days that followed we received unnecessary, threatening, aggressive and less than courteous phone calls and e mails from your parents. You took your story to TripAdvisor which should not be a venue for intimidation and slander.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

On what was our first trip to T&C we stayed at the West Bay Club. The accommodations were nice and clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. It's a great place for families and couples. We traveled as a couple but would definitely take our sons (10&12) back for a visit. The beach was not crowded and there were no tours being offered from our serene beach location. If your looking for a peaceful spot to kick back and relax, West Bay is a great choice. We took full advantage of their complimentary bikes. One word of advice: when booking be sure to calculate all taxes, fees and meals so you have an accurate idea of what the final cost will be. It can get to be pretty costly.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the beach. They're well lit and just steps away from the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple