“Pricey but worth it”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Arnold, Maryland
“Pricey but worth it”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Ok. We got the cheapest room they had and it was clean and decent. The only thing we really needed was an outdoor area to put our wet beach and pool things out. The guys at the beach and the bar where great but the front desk folks could could use a lesson or two about customer serivce. We were diving most days with a pick up at 8AM. The hotel claims to have breakfast ready by 7:30 but rarely did they have everything out and they sure weren't in a hurry. I'm all for island time but I have a dive to catch. The pool and the beach were great. The beach is wide at the hotel and it's just west of the really dense hustle and bustle parts of the beach.
Overall I really liked the West Bay Club but you have to take a few things with a grain of salt when you're on the islands. If you're use to high end customer service you may want to stay somewhere else. They're really close to having the full package but not quite there yet.

Room Tip: Get a room that has a porch or balcony
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sticknrudder47

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The service on the food/drink side of things was not good. I constantly felt like the wait staff was irritated by me being there. Everyday at breakfast there was never any plates or spoons and we had to fight with other guests for fruit. When I asked the lady sending text messages on her phone for a plate she'd glare at me like I was suppose to go in the back and clean it myself... I guess $600 a night doesn't go as far as it use to!

At lunch, simply ordering a $20 mediocre hot dog can take over 45 minutes... despite having only a hand full of people waiting. Ironically, getting the menu and placing an order takes even longer then preparing the food! Only waste your time eating here if you have no other options.

Room Tip: All the rooms are privately owned and rented out. As a result the rooms and the food service are ver...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Bob S
New York
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Turks and Caicos is a wonderful island. The water is crystal clear, the sand is soft and white, and it is a great place to relax. I was here with my wife about 5 years ago and this time we went with our 1 ½ year old and are almost 3 year old. Obviously this was a different type of vacation. Overall West Bay Club is a very good place to stay. We stayed in a regular 2BR (I booked through their site which was generally cheaper) and the rooms were spacious and clean. Our room had a full kitchen and a washer/dryer and that came in handy when going with two toddlers. We made a couple trips to IGA (grocery store) up the street to stock up on essentials (diapers, water, milk for the kids, beer for the adults, and some food that I know my kids would eat like chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, and pasta). The kitchen is fully stocked with supplies like silverware, dishes, pots/pans, and utensils. Housekeeping seemed to perfectly time their schedule to clean when we were at the pool or the beach.

The resort was not crowded at all when we went in June which may be why I thought the pool was plenty big enough for my family. The resort had beach toys for my little ones and the staff set up umbrellas and chairs for us. I’ll ditto other people’s reviews in that this is not 5 star service. There are not waiters walking around the pool or beach to take people’s drink orders. There isn’t some grand kids club (like Beaches or some of the really expensive places on the island). But, it offers better value if you don't need those things.

Continental breakfast was included and scrambled eggs were served as well. Nothing spectacular, but it served its purpose. I would skip lunch and dinner though at the restaurant. We went once for lunch on our first day and they didn’t have half the menu available. My wife and I then decided that we would not eat here again for lunch or dinner the rest of the trip. The front desk and concierge helped set up reservations for nearby casual restaurants. They were very helpful and friendly.

The big draw to this resort is the size of the rooms. It’s a good value compared to other places on the island and we found it perfect for a vacation with two small children.

I would suggest renting a car (we rented through Grace Bay Car Rentals). Sure driving on the left takes getting used to but cabs are expensive for a family of four.

Also would suggest going to the fish fry on Thursday nights (right down the road). Very casual and it’s something different from the usual resort fare.

Overall, I would suggest West Bay Club if you have a family with very young children or are going with a big group trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2013

What a great place to enjoy this wonderful island. Turks may not be the place for those who need a ton of activities and things to see, but if you are looking to relax, this is the island and certainly the hotel. The rooms and beautiful and really comfortable. We had a studio and it had a kitchen, a sitting area, two balconies, and a ton of closet space. The staff is super friendly. The free breakfast certainly helps when most things on the island are pretty expensive. Its not a fancy breakfast, but you get the essentials, eggs, cereal, yogurt, different kinds of bread, coffee, and juice. The hotel doesn't get too crowded and the pool is just perfect. I could go on and on, but I'll just say this, hopefully I'll be back in Turks again, and I'll certainly be staying at the West Bay Club

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank CynthiaMarsden
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Provo in Turcs and Caicos will not be for everyone. It is a high priced resort style island that has little of interest outside of the diving and resort amenities. However, if you are into the resort type holiday, this hotel will serve you well. Very relaxed, helpful and pleasant with good beach facilities. Not as flashy as the Gansevoort next door but much much more relaxed and affordable. Breakfast is simple but generous and the beach facilities are great fun. A good pick if you are headed to the island.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HanDurren
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 May 2013

The condo was spacious and very high end. The beach staff were great. I loved the fact that there weren't any crowds here. Very low key. The view from our condo was spectacular. I would for sure stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Amy F
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was our second time staying at WBC and is still one of our favorites. I was on another island for a few days and met up with my wife on Provo at WBC. She had a few days by herself then I joined her. This is one of of favorite places in Provo because it is on the quiet end of the beach so it is less crowded.

The property - as mentioned above this is on the quiet end of the beach so it is not surrounded by other resorts and condos. This is great as the beach is not overcrowded and there is not carry over noise from other resorts. This is a condominium complex and not a resort, so it does not have a signature restaurant, tennis courts, etc. We enjoy this about WBC as it is quite and you don't have people there that aren't staying there. It has a nice pool (we never use as we are on the beach) and a small restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It has a great beach that is staffed to help with chairs, waterspouts, and get drinks and food). Overall, the property is very clean and well maintained.

Rooms - I think your enjoyment and opinion of WBC will depend on your room and location. As some reviewers said, the efficiencies have a beach view through a small window. We stayed in (both visits) a one bedroom luxury unit. These are ocean front units that have a large bedroom, large bath, living, an well equipped kitchen. The first time we stayed our unit was immaculate, this time it was clean but seemed as it had not been used for a while. Please note that units on the 2nd - 5th floors have balconies and ocean views. First floor units may be ocean front but have a porch and no ocean view (there are plants around the balcony for some (although limited) privacy.

Restaurant - Food is average, basic breakfast is included. Small charge if you want an omelet or something hot. Lunch is good for a beach lunch. Not impressed with dinner.

Staff - Staff is friendly, but this is an island and things run on island time. Don't expect anything above normal and don't expect them to make a decision that may be out of the norm. This is not a negative, just normal for an island.

Issues - Our only issue was with our room location. While Provo is safe as far as islands go, since my wife was staying a few days by herself, I emailed ahead and requested a unit that was not a first floor unit. I was told that at that time we were not assigned to one. Upon arrival, she was assigned a first floor room. I was not happy since she was by herself and that there was no ocean view (having stayed there before, we knew they did not have one). Upon questioning this, I was told by the manager that the owners of the unit we were assigned to showed up, so we were moved. According to the desk clerk, we were in a first floor room because we had booked through a third party. Essentially, we went back and forth about this all week and ended up agreeing to disagree. After five nights we were moved for the last two.

Suggestion - I still highly recommend this property and will stay here again. I recommend that you book directly with WBC and do not use a third party (you will be treated differently). I also recommend that if you have a preference on unit, call and make sure it is available when booking and get it in writing. Get confirmation that if the owner arrives and wants to use their unit, you will be moved to an equal or better unit.

Room Tip: If you have a preference on unit, call and make sure it is available when booking and get it in writ...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple