“Small, quiet boutique hotel; great location”
Review of Villa del Mar

Villa del Mar
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Vancouver, Canada
“Small, quiet boutique hotel; great location”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Villa Del Mar (VDM) is a small, quiet boutique hotel located on Grace Bay Beach. If you come to this resort expecting absolute peace and quiet and not a lot going on, then you will not be disappointed. And this is exactly what we wanted on our holiday, so VDM fit the bill. We had asked the front desk if they were at full capacity and they said “yes”, which we couldn’t believe as the resort was THAT quiet.

Location:
VDM is located slightly off the beach front. As others have stated, it is only a 30 second walk to the beach through the Grace Bay Club. This wasn’t an issue at all! I have stayed at MANY all-inclusive resorts where we have had to walk much further on the resort itself to get to the beach. The location of VDM is EXCELLENT. It is within walking distance of all the top rated restaurants (Coco Bistro, Caicos Café, Coyaba, etc.), car rental places and the grocery store.

Staff:
The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. They will make dinner reservations for you and go out of their way to make recommendations for your holiday.

Room:
We had a studio suite on the top floor facing away from the pools, which is exactly what we wanted for extra peace and quiet away from kids playing in the pools. The studio was modern and had a comfortable king size bed; the pillows were awesome too! The bathroom had ‘his’ and ‘her’ sinks and a large shower and separate bathtub. We had a small kitchenette with a bar fridge, microwave, sink, coffee maker and toaster. It fit the bill as we didn’t need a full kitchenette because we didn’t want to cook during our holiday and ate out at the fabulous restaurants! There was Wi-Fi in the room; however, we had problems with it throughout the week. The annoying part was that for the IT tech to reset the modem, they had to go into the nearby suite to do so, which mean disturbing the other guests each time. NOT ideal.

Housekeeping:
This is where VDM lost a star for us. When we arrived at the resort, they told us the room was ready. When we went up to the room, the housekeepers were still in our suite. We told them we’d come back, but they said they would only be a minute. Upon entering our room, the housekeeping was definitely not up to par. I am not sure if this is because they felt rushed upon us entering, although they assured us they weren’t. We found garbage from previous guests, hair in the bathroom (eww!!!) and the shower wasn’t cleaned properly ALL week. Upon our arrival, the only rack in the shower was filled with soap scum and mildew from previous guests (as well as the glass door). We figured this was because they felt rushed and that they would clean the shower properly the next day; however, it never happened all week. Lastly, the glasses and cutlery in the kitchenette were absolutely filthy.

Pools and Grounds:
The grounds were well maintained and they always had someone working on the landscaping. VDM has two small pools (the larger pool being more used than the smaller pool) and one hot-tub. We often used these at the end of our day at the beach. Although, there are some pools areas and tiles around the grounds that require a good scrub and cleaning. Around the hot-tub, there are large patches of green mildew, as well as around some of the day beds.

On-site amenities:
VDM has an on-site bar that stays open until 8pm. It would have been nice to have this bar open a little later than this. Instead, we went over to the Grace Bay Club to enjoy their fabulous bar lounges (highly recommend!).

VDM provides a complimentary continental breakfast which suited us each morning. Don’t expect gourmet and you won’t be disappointed. It has bread, cereal, apples, bananas and pastries, as well as coffee, tea and juices. There is no restaurant on-site, but that wasn’t an issue due to the location of VDM. It was so close to many nearby restaurants.

We were disappointed though that VDM does NOT have an onsite exercise facility, even though they clearly advertise that they do! We went to use it one day and they said “we converted it to an office”. If this is so, I wouldn’t advertise that you have a fitness facility. It was even advertised on the welcome papers we were given when we checked in. I’m sure you are thinking… “you are on holiday and shouldn’t worry about exercising”….well, we are fitness enthusiasts and this simply isn’t an option. Of course, we went for runs instead, but a few weights would have been nice. VDM do offer a day gym pass to the Saltmills, but this isn’t close by and we wanted a very quick “in and out” type workout.

Beach:
Grace Bay Beach is absolutely stunning. We have travelled to many beaches across the globe and this by far, ranks as one of the best. Soft white sand and pure, turquoise water. You can walk for miles on this beautiful beach. Please note that anyone whom states that this beach is too busy, hasn’t travelled much. It isn’t busy at all; although I have heard it is busy at the Beaches resort section of beach (but that is miles away, so not to worry!)
VDM has a dedicated section of beach – when you walk through Grace Bay Club and come to the beach, turn left and walk 15 seconds and you will reach the VDM beach stand. The twins, Kerone and Lerone, are the VDM beach attendants and they truly are fabulous! They set up your chairs and umbrella and they give you clean towels on the beach. They will also take your drink orders and menu requests and deliver it right to you from the Ocean Club West Seaside Café, right next door. Nearby beachfront lunch options are the Seaside Café at Ocean Club West and Grill Rouge at the Grace Bay Club – both of which we enjoyed. Seaside Café is much cheaper than the Grill Rouge – as an FYI. If you walk further down the beach, you will find other restaurant options as well.

VDM overall is a quiet, small resort that fits the bill for a relaxing holiday. For an even quieter room, I would suggest a room facing away from the pools. VDM lost some points for us due to the inadequate housekeeping, pool areas that need a good clean and an advertised fitness facility that doesn’t exist. All in all though, we would return should we want a quiet holiday at less of a price than the expensive beachfront resorts.

Room Tip: For an even quieter room, I would suggest a room facing away from the pools.
11 Thank Cubagal82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Lovely place to stay, we were in C block room 203 which was fine as we had no noise through the walls which is my biggest issue with Condo/Hotels or Hotels in general. The room was clean and fairly spacious with a big balcony.
Friendly staff really helps, they were all good. Just a minute walk across the street to Grace Bay Beach, absolutely beautiful and tons of space. Villa del Mar has its own area to sit you just pick up your towels at the guest station and pick out the spot you would like your chairs, table and umbrella, which you definitely will need because it gets very hot and you will burn.
Just remember prices in Turks and Caicos are very high, most things are imported.
You will either have a room with full kitchen or one with a fridge, toaster, microwave etc... You can load up with your own snacks, beer and wine. Villa del Mar does not have restaurants which we knew in advance, everything you need is very close by, grocery store, shopping, restaurants, you name it, it's there.
Would definitely go back, if you are looking for loads of amenities this is not the place. I love a good boutique hotel and Villa del Mar was great. This was my second time in Providenciales.

Room Tip: I you want more peace and quiet, I would pick a suite higher up and away from main pool. We faced t...
1 Thank lainey2011
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I booked our honeymoon at Villa Del Mar based on the positive reviews, and we had a wonderful stay. The staff were very friendly, and the 1-br penthouse was great -- spacious and comfortable with a nice patio area that was great for star-gazing. The two pools were quiet and relaxing. Continental breakfast was basic but adequate, including fresh pastries.

Villa Del Mar is just across the street from the beach, and it's one of the nicest sections of Grace Bay beach -- not crowded at all. There are beach attendants for VDM who set up umbrella/chairs for you; they will also order food and drinks for you from the nearby Ocean Club West. The water was perfectly calm the first few days, with some rough waves later in he week (which is unusual).

There are several restaurants within walking distance of Villa Del Mar, so you don't need a car unless you want to venture further. We quickly realized that it's very expensive to eat out in Turks and Caicos, so we walked to the nearby Graceway Gourmet and stocked up on groceries which helped keep costs down. We brought sandwiches for lunch at the beach, and made dinner a few nights.

The front desk will help set up trips/excursions for you if you like. We did a 1/2 day snorkeling tour which we would recommend. There are also full-day tours, as well as parasailing, waterskiing, SNUBA and SCUBA, etc.

Travel tip: avoid flying to/from TCI on Saturdays if possible. The airport is old and tiny with no air-conditioning, so it's a very unpleasant place to be on crowded travel days (Saturday is the worst). The airport is currently being renovated so hopefully the situation will improve soon!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have patios that open directly into the pool area, which is nice if you're tr...
2 Thank BostonGirl011
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This was my first trip to Turks and Caicos, and will likely not be my last! My wife and I visited on our (year later) honeymoon, and she selected Villa Del Mar based on the positive reviews. It did not disappoint. The staff was incredibly friendly, the penthouse was superb, the pools (bigger one and nearby smaller one, plus a jacuzzi) were peaceful and relaxing (with bar), and the breakfast at the poolside bar area was great, including delicious fresh french pastries and croissants.

Although most other nearby resorts are right on the beach, Villa Del Mar is merely across the street - a two minute walk to the sand. And it is one of the nicest sections of Grace Bay beach, all to yourself and the handful of others from Villa del Mar who are out for the day. Not to mention this is the world's #2 top beach! The cheerful Villa Del Mar beach attendants will have your umbrella and recliners ready as they hand you a fresh towel. Ask for the menu, and they will take your food orders and bring your food and drinks from the nearby Seaside Cafe. Don't forget to ask them about the boogie boards and kids beach toys they have stashed away. And it is only a two minute walk to the bathrooms near the cafe.

All varieties of people at the hotel and beach - families with kids ranging from babies to teens, young couples, older couples, retired couples. And it's not a beach to "see and be seen," but rather one to relax and enjoy yourself. The ocean water was super calm and smooth (and beautiful turquoise) the first couple days, then there were larger waves the last couple days, which were apparently unusual. And you can walk back to the beach each evening for the sunset over the water.

Free Wi-Fi in room. Also a fifteen minute walk to the nice grocery store, to use your kitchenette for your meals. Be sure to try Bella Luna Pizza nearby, as well as the local Turks Head Lager. And don't miss the weekly meet and greet at Villa Del Mar to get your fill of rum punch and snacks.

The downside is leaving - of course I mean leaving paradise, but also the fact that the airport is horrible and can hardly contain the masses of people and planes departing on a Saturday! Go up to the "sky lounge" for a quieter, calmer outdoor seating area with bar. Though the airport is in the process of being enlarged now (in 2014).

Room Tip: With first floor units, the swimming pools are a few steps away out of your glass doors. Also easy f...
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed at Villa Del Mar during the winter break. The studio was clean, spacious and had a great comfortable king size bed. The bathroom was large and very clean. The front desk staff are extremely friendly and very helpful. The daily breakfast was Ok, nothing spectacular about it but it's free.
The location of the hotel is fantastic. The beach is less than a minute walk and you will find all what you need there including beach towels, lounges, umbrellas, water and a beach staff to get your order of whatever you like to eat or drink from nearby restaurants. The hotel itself is within walking distance to major restaurants and bars.We had the perfect stay at Villa Del Mar.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Delmar, New York
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Why anyone would pay several hundred dollars more to stay anywhere else is beyond us. The staff was lovely and very helpful in every way. The location is perfect. Not on the beach but a very short walk from the beach with towels and seats and umbrellas awaiting you when you get there. The pools and courtyard are lovely. Room was very spacious. Just can't say enough good about it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DLS42014
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I absolutely LOVED Turks and Caicos- the beaches are top in the world and the scenery is flawless. The natives (belongers as they call themselves) are lovely people. It can be pricey for sundries and groceries but it's a small price to pay for paradise.

However, the Villa del Mar has completely soured my trip and experience on an otherwise perfect vacation. Let me preface this by saying that I realize I am at fault for not securing my passport in the safe, which resulted in it being stolen directly from the room (it was kept in a discreet passport holder in the bottom of a beach bag in the corner of the closet). However, that does not excuse the lack of responsibility, and correspondence on the hotel and the staff's behalf thereafter.

I found the villa del mar was a good alternative to the pricier grace bay club and the rooms were very clean and updated. However, it has since become apparent that there is a lack of management and culpability. It's a shame because I otherwise would've recommended this hotel without a thought.
I informed the front desk, called the hotel and eventually wrote an email to them to try and make sure the management was aware that my passport had been stolen right out of our room. Here is a copy of the email I wrote to the hotel and have never received any sort of apology or even response.

I stayed at your facility 2/6-2/11 in a top floor 2 BR condo. Unfortunately, I did not secure my passport in the safe during my stay, and it was stolen out of my bag while the bag was in my room. I discovered it was stolen only minutes before departing for the airport and you can only imagine the nightmare and inconvenience that I had to go through to get back to New York.

Up until that point I had been extremely pleased with my stay at villa del mar (despite the power outage). However, knowing that your facility is not secure and your staff is untrustworthy is very unsettling. It is not the type of thing that will lead people to return to your resort. I will be reporting this information to my department of state, as I am obligated to advise them as to where my passport was stolen.

The front desk was made aware of my situation upon our departure however they made no effort to assist me nor to apologize for the situation. My identity and security have been compromised as a result and I am saddened that an otherwise wonderful trip was ruined by the hotel's lack of responsibility.

BEWARE- if you do decide to stay at this site KEEP EVERYTHING LOCKED UP and check it daily.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank bried172016
Director-VDM, Director of Development & Operations at Villa del Mar, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Valued TripAdvisor reader and Guest BrieD:

On behalf of Villa del Mar, I would like to thank all of our past guests who take the time to post reviews. With some reviews it is the best interests of the readers to understand the complete story. We are pleased (in your words) that you were “extremely pleased with Villa Del Mar” and the TCI. We are also shocked by the posted review indicating that your misplaced passport was stolen from our very trustworthy, loyal and long term staff. We understand the anxiety of losing your own passport can be very stressful and concerning, but blaming our hotel staff is very unfair and unsettling. Most guests check their travel documents well before they leave for a departure due to increased worldwide security. It is important for our TA audience to understand that our front office management was in contact with the guest on the day of departure at the resort and at the TCI airport to express their sincere concern and to advise the guest that an intense search was being conducted with senior and housekeeping management regarding the passport. We also contacted the taxi company to ensure that the passport was not left or dropped in the taxi cab. Additionally, two calls were made to the guest’s home address to follow up expressing our deep concern for the lost passport and to see if the guest had any additional information or found their passport. We have never had a situation or incident like this in the history of our boutique resort hotel and pride ourselves on our excellent service standards and professional conduct. Again, we greatly appreciate all the comments and reviews of our past guests. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions, comments or concerns.
Warm regards.