“Not Beachfront but Perfect”
Review of Villa del Mar

Villa del Mar
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed for 6 days from 6/13 - 6/19, first time on Provo. Picked VDM based upon previous reviews here on Trip Advisor, happy with our decision.
Provo is an expensive island compared to other islands with hotels/restaurants along a beach (i.e., Negril), however what you get with that price are no hustlers, lots of fantastic restaurants, friendly "belongers" and a family friendly environment.
We rented a Studio Suite at VDM. We were located in "A" building on the 1st level. We could walk right out to the kiddie pool. We basically had this pool to ourselves for most of our stay. The larger pool seemed to be more popular and we even tried the hot tub one night (could have been a bit warmer but still OK). Yes, there were kids at the resort but most were well behaved. VDM has the most comfortable pool chaise lounges in the world! They are covered with a white terry cloth cover which is changed every day. There were plenty of beach towels available.
The room was clean and spacious and the AC worked great - sometimes too great to the point I had to turn it off every now and then. King bed with nice linens, lots of pillows, very comfortable. A few things I did notice, there is no full length mirror in the room and there is no drawer chest to put your folded clothes.. so basically we lived out of our suitcases. Not sure if this was the basic set up in all of the studio suites but it was our room.
Bathroom was large with soaking tub and lots of fluffy towels.
Kitchenette had microwave, toaster, small frig and coffee maker. VDM provides Wolfgang Puck coffee (excellent) along with coffee filters. There is no dishwasher in the Studios, so I brought a small bottle of dish liquid with a couple of sponges to do dishes. The kitchenette really needed a few kitchen towels. I'd rather do my own dishes (so I know they are clean) and a drying towel would have been great.
The Studio suite also included a stack washer and dryer, loved this and did a few loads of laundry (brought my own laundry pods). I only used 1/4 of the clothes I brought down, will keep this in mind next time.
Housekeeping was efficient and did a great job in a timely manner.
The grounds of VDM were maintained very well, pools were clean, gardens were groomed and the staff were unobtrusive.
The room price included continental breakfast (7:30am - 9:30am) had various pastries, bread (for toasting with butter and various jams), bananas, oranges, cereal with milk, orange or apple juice and coffee, tea, hot chocolate. This was enough for us. We boosted our breakfast with yogurt and muffins purchased at Graceway Gourmet (within walking distance). 2 4-pak of Chobani Yogurt and 4 muffins were $26.00! A few days we bought the obligatory Almond croissants from the Caicos Bakery (delish!) although beware of the Custard filled donuts they also sell, they are huge and filled to the max!
Friday nite was the Manager's Party with lots of strong rum punches and snacks (peanuts and assorted chips). The bartender Capt Bill was friendly. We met the manager, Alan, very pleasant gentleman.
We rented a vehicle during our total stay. There was plenty of parking at the resort (right outside of our unit).
The walk to the beach was not a long one. Right across the "street" and through the Grace Bay Club to VDM's beach area. We only spent a few hours in total on Grace beach, we were too busy visiting other areas of the island (loved Sapodilla Bay, beach at da Conch shack and Bugaloo's) and spending time at the pool loving those loungers.

5  Thank tnorton19

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is the perfect hotel for people who want to have a beautiful, high quality room with easy access to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world without paying an arm and a leg to stay at a full service resort.

My husband and I rely on Tripadvisor for all our hotel research, and once again TA pointed us to exactly the right spot for us to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary.

Our list of must-haves included: 1) easy access to shade/umbrellas on the beach at all times of the day; 2) a walkable location with a couple of restaurants and a grocery store nearby for snacks/drinks so that we wouldn't need a rental car; 3) a room that felt luxurious without the luxury price tag.

We got all of that and more at Villa Del Mar. The receiptionist provided a small but delicious cup of rum punch upon check in, which was a nice touch I thought perhaps we might miss out on knowing we weren't staying anywhere full service. From there we found our room to be very nice and extremely comfortable. We booked the studio and were perfectly satisified. The room was exactly as pictured. The first thing I noticed was the travertine tile that extended from the steps up to the room, all the way through the room, and out onto the balcony, where they could have used a cheaper material but didn't. The kitchenette was also quite nice with granite countertops. It had a toaster, microwave, mini fridge (with a frozen shelf but no separate freezer--ideal for liquor and ice trays), plates, cups, mugs, flatware, etc. We tipped our maid each day and came back to clean dishes. Speaking of the housecleaning staff--they are AWESOME. Our room was sparkling every day. No sand anywhere! They are wonderfully thorough and finish early. Our room was always done before we came back around 1 pm.

The bathroom is enormous--especially for someone coming from NYC! This felt like such a luxury in and of itself. The bathtub is perfect for long soaks. I should also mention that the bath towels were very plush and soft--much better than most hotel towels. Their provided bath gel suds up into a huge bubble bath. The king sized bed was very comfortable, although the mattress was a bit too soft for me. I slept like a baby every night. Another nice touch in the room was the ceiling fan. Although we relied on the AC, it was nice to have the fan as an option.

Besides the beautiful furniture and the luxurious bathroom, the balcony also sets Villa Del Mar apart from other hotels in this price range. The large balcony features a lounger with a side table and a dining set for four. All five chairs have thick, luxurious cushions. I took many a happy siestas out on my balcony lounger in the afternoons. Another nice touch that makes the room feel even more luxurious is that the whole back wall leading out onto the balcony is glass--and it slides any number of ways. You can open the doors in the middle, or push them to the right or left. There are also a set of screen doors so you can let the air inside but not any bugs.

Last but not least is the beach. Other reviewers have it right when they say it is no big deal to walk through Grace Bay Club to get to the beach. The beach is a national park, and Grace Bay Club has a small gate marked for national park access on their property, so they expect non-guests to use the path to the beach. Though our blue and white striped Villa Del Mar towels gave us away, the Grace Bay Club beach attendants were always very friendly to us. A bartender told us we were "like family" being from across the street. The street is very small and only receives very light traffic. Door to beach was probably under 2 minutes. Villa Del Mar's section of the beach is very easy to find and features more chairs and umbrellas than are needed, so there were always many, many empty spots from which to choose. We always got a front row spot, no matter what time of day. You could also ask one of the beach attendants to put out a new umbrella, or add a second umbrella to your set up for more shade. One thing I should mention is that if you tip the beach attendants on the first day, you'll get better service the rest of the week. They'll remember you and bring towels to you, etc. They have a menu for the Seaside Cafe, but instead of having the attendant bring us food, we just walked the very short walk over and at the restaurant. It was a great option for lunch, about $14-15 per lunch entree. The beach attendants also helped us book our parasailing with Skypilot and our snorkle cruise with Island Vibes. I had researched vendors on TA ahead of time and was pleased to learn that my favorites were the companies the attendant recommended, too.

We walked to the following: ate dinner at Caicos Cafe (recommend), ate lunch at the Seaside cafe (recommend), had ice cream at The Patty Place (do not recommend the devon stout ice cream), ate dinner at Jimmy's Dive Bar (good for a "cheap" meal), ate dinner and watched the World Cup at Danny Buoy's (recommend, also very affordable), got groceries at Graceway Gourmet (recommend), got breakfast pastries at Caicos Bakery (recommend). We also enjoyed the free rum punch at Villa Del Mar's manager cocktail hour on Friday evening, 5 pm I think.

We had a truly outstanding time at Villa Del Mar. I have a nice but very small apartment in NYC, and have been home less than 24 hours. I already miss the extra space and amenities (oh, to have a washer/dryer in my own home again! and a soaking tub!). For my husband and I, and how we like to spend money/vacation, we couldn't see any reason for us to stay anywhere more upscale. Villa Del Mar was perfect for us.

10  Thank anothermrs
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was perfect for our honeymoon! Even though the hotel was full, we had the pool all to ourselves many times throughout the week. The beach is super close with excellent beach service. The pool is beautiful and the padded pool chairs are SO comfortable! It was hands down the most relaxing vacation we have experienced. Oh, and the staff is super friendly and helpful! I can't wait to visit again soon!!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed at VDM the first week in June and had a great time. We did the one bedroom + den option and it was the perfect size for us. The staff was extremely nice and very helpful. It's literally a 2 minute walk to the beach. The beach service was fabulous and they have paddleboards, rafts, noodles, etc for you to use. They will also get you drinks / food from the neighboring restaurants and can set up activities for you like parasailing, etc. They offer free continental breakfast - bagels, banana bread, cereal, juice, etc every morning so we did take advantage of that a few times. There is a grocery store and a ton of restaurants within walking distance so there really isn't a need to stay anywhere else. We;ll definitely be back!

Room Tip: We were in the B building overlooking the pool and the only noise we ever heard was the people next...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We visited Turks & Caicos in April 2014 for a friends wedding at Grace Bay Hotel. We actually stayed at this hotel, which is directly across the street. It's in a much better price range. Our room was very spacious, had a stocked kitchen, nice bathroom, comfortable bed & nice pool. The room was kept clean. A daily breakfast was included, and it was just ok. They only had cold items like cereal, muffins, and breads; but it was overall fine. We appreciated the kind and helpful staff. We had a washer & dryer in our room too; it was great to have it available since we stayed for 5 days. Loved our porch that overlooked the pool. There is a grocery store within walking distance, so we got a few items for our room. Villa del Mar has their own beach section with chairs. The beach was beautiful. If we get a chance to visit again some day, I would stay at Villa del Mar again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louiedoggie
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel in late February; it was my third time in Provo. This time I travelled alone as no one else wanted to free up some time or spend the money, but I needed the break. I had been to 2 other resorts around Grace Bay and Villa del Mar was by far the best. The complimentary breakfast was more than enough to get the day started. It's a perfect location; a 2 minute walk to the beach (have to cross the road), close to the shops and grocery stores. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room I had was absolutely beautiful, huge, with a full kitchen, and incredibly clean. It was also very quiet, I never heard my neighbours.

All in all, I had a very relaxing week off on the beach and I have been planning my return since I left. I don't think I'll be staying at any other hotel from here on. Yes, there are far more expensive hotels in the area but I don't see the point. The property isn't directly on the beach, but to be honest, the distance to the beach is equivalent to any other resort. You just need to cross a road, which isn't busy by any stretch of the imagination. 5 stars, hands down.

See you again in October.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Eshay E
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I don't often write reviews to be honest but I felt the need to following our visit to the villa Del Mar. I'll start with a few key words to describe this hotel -

* Incredible
* Amazing
* Beautiful
* Well Run
* Amazing Service
* Penthouse style rooms
* Left me speechless
* Didn't want to leave

My Fiancée and I checked in to the Villa Del Mar for 8 nights (I think it was 8!) in a two bedroom suite. We were greeted at reception by a wonderful lady with great customer service. Gave us lots of information and answered any questions we had.

With the excitement of turning the door handle, we walked in only to be left speechless. We had found the most amazing resort. Something we had never experienced before - pure bliss of luxury accommodation.

Our suite was spotless, and I mean spotless. It was spacious, had great dark wood furnishings, very comfortable sitting room furniture - a real home away from home - on a paradise island!

The kitchen was fully equipped with everything we would want, incredibly clean and tidy - looked like brand new. Fridge, Freezer, Oven, Dishwasher - everything was perfect.

We only stayed in the master bedroom as it was only the two of us. The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept wonderfully every night. Lots of storage space so no problems there.

I must point out the air conditioning quickly - it's ice cool! Every day when we walked back from the beach, hot and melting, we opened the door and there's an instant ice cool refreshment from the air conditioning. Its great!!!

The balcony was large and again had exemplary furnishings including sun loungers and a table and chairs. We overlooked the pool area.

The grounds of the hotel are of incredibly high standard. Those beautiful looking pictures of the hotel are exactly what you will be met with.

The resort is very small which is exactly what we wanted. It was always so peaceful and quiet. We never had any noise to be remotely worried about. You could hear someone turn the page of a book it was that quiet.

The hotel pools were great, not too large and certainly not too small. Surrounded by luxury poolside furniture and palm trees.

We never had breakfast at the hotel as we're lazy sods on holiday and never really got up until around 1100.

As many people have already pointed out, the beach is just a one minute walk away. And the beach is picture postcard amazing. Other than the Maldives, its the only other place where I can say it looks just like it does in advertising and pictures in holiday brochures.

There is a grocery store about 10-15 mins walk away. The store (I think it was called Graceway) is quite expensive but that is to be expected. It had everything we needed and more. If your stocking up with quite a lot of things then grab a taxi back. Don't try and walk like I did with 8 full carrier bags - nearly didn't make it back in the heat.

Out of all the hotels we have stayed at around the world, the Villa Del Mar is probably the one place we always bring up in conversation.

Be under no illusion, this place is special. It's a hotel you will rarely find anywhere else. Why anyone would want to stay in just a hotel room at another hotel when you can stay here is beyond me.

The Villa Del Mar owners really have reached a pinnacle of excellence here in every area and it shows.

To the hotel manager Alan, who took time out to say hello - and the rest of the fantastic staff, I say thank you for providing us with an amazing holiday and experience. Well worth the long flight from the UK.

We are planning to return this November - and we just can't wait!!

See you in 5 months!!