“Okay, hotel great, service iffy”

Gansevoort Turks + Caicos
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
London, UK
“Okay, hotel great, service iffy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

We usually stay at 5* resorts and last time stayed at the Amanyara. That was unbelievably good, but has got way too expensive - $1500 a night. The Mandarin Oriental in Dellis Cay will open sometime "soon" and should be a good bet.

Some points about our 5 days at Gansevoort TC:
* The hotel is pretty - in a modern uncluttered dark wood style
* The rooms are great - we had a 1 bed suite with a big terrace overlooking the ocean and a full kitchen.
* The beach is good - away from the other resorts and towards the end of major development, so quite quiet. I can't understand why the staff take reservations for the best stops around the pool and beach - surely it makes more sense to allow guests to use loungers for the time they need and free them up for others when they walk away. Perhaps it's a way to get tips, but it isn't good service
* The food is good - although the menus are repetitive.
* The service is quite a let down from other 5* resorts, eg beach staff made lots of excuses as to why the hobie cats coudn't be used (a different excuse every day), the "customer services manager" didn't understand how to take guest feedback, or how it could help improve the hotel, the room service staff got our orders wrong, etc.
* This hotel isn't inexpensive - even during low season!

We had a stay at Parrot Cay last time - their service was also poor, the rooms were nowhere near as good as Gansevoort's, but their beach was better and more private.

Would we go back? Probably not if we can get better rates for the Aman or the MO opens.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

I just got back from 8 nights at the Gansevoort. It was just amazing in so many ways.

The service was top notch. Everyone went out of their way to making sure we were happy. From setting up dinner, to renting a car, to fun activities, to setting up a spot on the beach for us, to anything else, the staff was fantastic.

The rooms were so nice. I dont think you can beat the view. The remote shades over the window to the beach was a nice touch. The shower was super. The upkeep was really nice. When we got back from the days activities, the maids had come and cleaned up nicely. When we got back from dinner, turn down service always made our room ready for bed.

Oh yeah. Hands down the BEST pool ive ever been in.

I think the hotel is modern, chic, and mellow. Perfect for a 30 something couple looking to get away.

In terms of any negative reviews I have, there were a couple minor things.
- Our bathroom door broke and it took 2 calls to get them to fix it
- the key cards kept not working. We had to go to the front 3 times to get them working
- sometimes the maids would forget a towel
- room service forgot to bring us napkins and utensils once
- took the waiter a half an hour to say they didnt have a certain menu item while dining on the beach.

In my mind, those minor service issues were greatly overshadowed the overall positive experience I had at this hotel. I would strongly recommend it.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

Everything about this place is done really well. The lobby, the views, the pool, the beach etc. We had an ocean front junior suite, and it was as nice as any room I have ever stayed in. Glass panels on the balcony versus rails make a huge difference. Maid service was twice a day, so the room was always clean. The pool chairs had big cushions - and there were plenty. There were round couches on the beach and nice floats in the pool and beach. My wife and I went for our anniversary, and will definitely go back. Absolutely no complaints - except it was really hard to leave.

Montreal, Quebec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

This hotel far surpassed any expectations that we had when booking. Compared to the other hotels in the same class and location, this hotel was priced fairly lower and carried great value for its price.
This hotel seems to have a 'zen', younger, trendy appeal to it. I can also say that there were A LOT of couples, but then again, its Turks and Caicos.

The location of the hotel is approximately 10 minutes by car from the Provindenciales airport and also 10 minutes by car from most of the restaurants and bars.

The food at the hotel was suprisingly good, at times better than the food in restaurants off the hotel. The food was always fresh, tasty and the service prompt. The bar service was also great. The continental breakfast that was included in the price was great and included fruits, cereals, croissants, bagels, muffins, english muffins, coffee, tea, etc.

The staff at the hotel must have been one of the the most attractive features of this hotel. They are extremely friendly and very polite and hospitable to any requests.

The rooms are also one of this hotels best assets. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with an ocean front view and found the price to be VERY reasonable for what you get (ie. great value). Our room was on the third floor and had a living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and great balcony. The rain shower is amazing :)

The beach was stunning as promised. In back of the hotel there is a nationally preserved snorkeling reef which is easily accessible and the hotel rents out snorkeling equipment. The pool was also very nice and clean and the jacuzzi appeared to also be so but we didnt go in as it was SOOOO hot outside. At times, there werent enough chairs to satisfy the demand (it was fourth of July weekend and very busy), and this would be the only complaint. You have to get up early to get chairs and an umbrella.

I didnt try the Spa on the hotel but other guests heavily recommended it. The prices arent that reasonable for the spa however.

Lastly, unlike most hotels, this hotel offered free internet service in the lobby for guests. Although this is a petty feature, I thought this was really a demonstration of this hotel's care and consideration for its guests.

1 Thank Travelchik_MTL
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

I am actually sitting on my balcony that overlooks the ocean with a Cuban cigar in hand at the Gansevoort in Turks and Caicos. I decided to write a review of my experience here in part to help me reflect on the wonderful week I had here as well as to help any prospective visitors with their decision on a vacation destination. Rather than combine all of my criticism in one confusing paragraph I think I’ll break it down section by section so that you, the reader, can skim through and read what may be of interest to you. I’ll try to make it in order of importance to you, the traveler, insofar as what seems to matter most to fellow travelers. Throughout the course of my week here there were many things I thought I’d write about but so as not to bore and lose my reader I’ll try to keep it as “to the point” as possible. The reason for my visit was my second anniversary. We came here on our honeymoon and loved it so we thought we’d come back again, and I’m happy to say we didn’t regret the decision one bit.
- Resort. The Gansevoort is a new resort presumably financed and run by the same company (sorry, name forgotten) that runs the Gansveoort in NYC and Miami. The overall architecture is kind of cosmopolitan, with an appropriate tropical motif. Think limestone: I believe the floors are cut limestone, which is actually perfect for this area because you can come into your room after a long day at the beach with sand on you and not worry about it; the maids simply mop up your room every day and it’s spic and span. We took the advice of other reviewers and went for the Ocean Front suite. Well worth it. Our suite was on the second floor overlooking the beach and beautiful ocean. The balcony has a nice glass paneling, so that you can literally stare out at the ocean from anywhere in the room, including the bed. Very, very nice, and kind of makes you feel almost as if you’re on a ship. The bathroom has two sinks (marriage saver style) and an amazing overhead shower. If you’re so inclined you can open up the privacy curtain and take a shower while you overlook the beach. Privacy here is not guaranteed but from the beach I looked into the rooms and it is nearly impossible to see past the balcony so I think you’d have to be standing on the beach with binoculars to see anything in your suite, so my advice is to go for it. Everything else in the room was entirely adequate – flat panel tv with cable, small fridge to store your drinks, a nice wet bar to mix drinks, and Frette towels to pamper you. The AC works great (albeit in Celcius, so us Farenheit readers will have to just go with what feels right unless they know the Metric system), new furniture, track lighting, and you have the ingredients for a very nice pad. If you go for the ocean front suite you will not be disappointed. This is the first time I did so and it was worth every cent. Sunsets over the bay with a bottle of champagne on the balcony were some of the best moments of the trip. The pool was very nice and usually very mellow with only a few guests lazily floating around or taking in the sun. Only one family on my last day kind of made it irritating with screaming kids and constant jumping into the pool. Other than that it was perfect.
- Beach access. The beach access at the Gansevoort is about the same as the other resorts on Grace Bay because they all share the same swath of unbelievably gorgeous beach. I did however find what I deemed to be a problem with this beach. The resort is near the end of the “built up” part of Grace Bay. I’m not sure if the winds on the island flow in this direction or not, but it was extremely windy on most days at the beach, to the point of blowing the umbrellas out of their mounted positions in the sand (this takes a lot of wind power, because the umbrellas are mounted into the sand pretty firmly by the staff). It was so windy at times people were getting up and leaving, and I was wondering why I wasn’t doing the same. The water also seemed to be a bit choppier perhaps as a result of the same position this resort has on the island. As a disclaimer, because I’m sure the hotel staff at the Gansevoort would be quick to defend their territory, on some of the windy days I walked down to the Coral Gardens reef area about a quarter of a mile down the beach, and although it was windy the water did not seem to be so choppy, and I was pretty sure it was smoother sailing there. That being said, I need to emphasize emphatically that the water at the Gansveoort beach is entirely adequate. I am being highly picky in this review, but only because I feel entitled to do so as a paying customer. In truth, ANY resort situated on Grace Bay offers the same breath taking beautiful beach – that is what is making this one of the premier destinations in the world. The sand bar extends a half a mile to a mile out into the ocean up to the reef, so the ocean has a lot of room to calm down before reaching the shore, and the waves gently lap up to the shore in every beach I’ve been to on Grace Bay, and here is no exception. The water is turquoise blue and “bathwater warm,” and I spent many an hour just mindlessly bobbing in the gentle waves in pure bliss. Because weather patterns can be unpredictable, I do not think any prospective traveler should stay away from the G because of the wind, but I do not know enough about the weather patterns on Provo to say for sure that it isn’t a factor.
- Service. Service at G is excellent. Everyone was very friendly and eager to accommodate any requests. No complaints. We were brought a nice bottle of real champagne on our anniversary, which is very flattering and thoughtful and we really appreciated it.
- Food. We dined 3 times at the hotel restaurant, Bagatelle. The restaurant is kind of French meets Caribbean in nature. I won’t go into boring details about each entry, but I can say that it was very good. The cheese platter was full of really nice cheeses that must be straight from France (super creamy chevre, triple cream brie, gorgonzola, cheddar). Risotto was ok, not superb. I had the roasted chicken (that was advertised as being truffled although I did not taste a lot of truffles in it), that was still quite tasty. On my second to last night I ordered the Filet Mignon, and that was fantastic. It was a bit salty, perfectly charred, moist in the middle, and the accompanying au poivre and béarnaise sauces (I requested both but it comes with one or the other) was MAGNIFIQUE. One of the best filets I’ve ever had.
- Prices. This probably rates higher on the list of importance to most people and maybe I should have posted it in a higher “slot,” but honestly if you come to the G, you shouldn’t be overly concerned with the price of things. Not to say you should just open your wallet and expect to be looted, because that seems to be what a lot of the island’s attractions have come to expect, but I think you should come to a place like the G and just have a good time and not think about what it costs. You’ll be in the company of like minded couples and families, and that’s part of the fun; if you want a real bargain you should go somewhere else. That said though, the prices at the G are reasonable for what you get in return. With the exception of Royal West Indies, there are not many bargains to be had in the nicer resorts on Grace Bay. Fact of life. Call it the “hostage tax,” but sometimes you have to “pay to play.” That may sound arrogant, and I hope it doesn’t, but I do think you should save your ducats and come with doing what you want when you want when you come to this Island, or consider doing something else instead. The prices on meals is expensive, but not really any more so than dining in a major urban area like NYC or San Francisco. You won’t find steak for $15 here, but for $30 you usually can get a pretty good cut of beef. Ditto for the fish, which is usually fresh and locally caught, and most other entrees you’d find in other cities (and keep in mind this is a small resort town). Just be on the lookout though for the small things that can bite you. One traveler said the bottled water provided in the room is charged at $9 a bottle. I haven’t seen my bill yet but that was enough to spook me into bringing my own bottled water in that I purchased elsewhere. The drinks you order by the pool or at the beach are also expensive at around $9-$12, but again you should come prepared and just “go with the flow,” in my opinion. The drinks were all great, so it was worth it. We also ventured around and discovered other places near the resort to dine, our favorite being “Somewhere on the Beach,” a Mexican place on the sand in front of the Coral Gardens reef. The food was fantastic and margaritas just as good as my favorite in SF, which is saying a lot. Each meal I had here was thoroughly satisfying and delightful, and the food was on par with the best “Mexi” I’ve had in SF, which please trust is not an easy mark to receive.
- Activities. The concierge desk is more than happy to set you up with an activity you think you might enjoy. As far as I know there are no bonfires with hula girls (that’s Hawaii), but this is a world class destination and anything else you’d be after in a tropical resort area is here – deep sea fishing, snorkeling, scuba, parasailing, etc. What I like about it here is unlike Mexico ethics play a role in what is offered. What I mean is they don’t have dolphin parks and miserable looking horses going up and down the beach all day. Animals and wildlife are treated respectfully here and that was cool to see. We went on a half day boat charter called “Turks and Caicos Dream Tours”, which took us out to the great reef for snorkeling (fantastic), followed up by some conch diving (you dive for conch in a conch farm, pretty cool), and then a retreat to a small undeveloped island while the fantastic boat cap and his sidekick (“Pop” and “Ashley” in our case) crack the conch you just harvested and mix up a tasty salad for you while you explore the island, totally Robinson and Cruesoe style. The island, I discovered after some exploring, was the exact same island I paid a tour company a couple hundred bucks on my last visit to take me to (under the advertisement of a full day on a private island “all by yourself”). The private beach I had been to on my last trip was now infiltrated by a large tourist catamaran with dozens frolicking in the water (which is also what happened on our “private tour”, so I do not recommend this tour to anyone). Anyway, I made my way back to our boat on this trip, reunited with the new friends I’d made, and had a blast on the rest of the outing. Highly recommend this adventure to anyone, as everyone aboard had a fantastic time, me included.
- Internet. A lot of people complained about this and I'd have to agree it is annoyingly slow in the rooms. I think they have staked out wireless access points all over the place, but for some reason web sites take way too long to load (you shouldn't have to wait 30 seconds for a site to load). I see that they have the bandwidth (I'm an IT professional), so my guess is they are getting the internet through a dish satellite. If this is the case you are dealing with limitations of internet traffic going out into space and through the cloud before traversing a similar route to your laptop in your room at the G, so I don't think there's a lot that can be done to boost this. I'm not sure if T&C has a fast internet host on the island that can drop a circuit or a fiber pipe up to the hotel but if they do offer this the G would do well to invest in this solution. I predict that this will become a major thorn in their side as they do offer free wifi access, which is nice, but U.S. travelers accustomed to truly fast broadband internet access will moan incessantly about the slow page loading times here. Empty my cache you say? Nope. I have a fast Macbook that does just fine everywhere else, it is not a problem with my laptop or browser.
- Experience. I think I’ve described in great detail what you can expect from a trip to “G”, at “T&C.” If you save your pennies (or money simply isn’t a problem), come with an open mind and a small sense of adventure, and don’t expect the world from your time spent here, I think you’ll have a great time. I’d encourage anyone to engage the staff as much as possible. Honestly some of their accents can be a challenge to understand, but once you break that barrier, in every case they proved themselves bright, fun and wonderfully charismatic in nature. You can simply stick to the pool and local beach every day as a lot of people seemed to do, or opt for an adventure or two from the concierge. You can also walk a short distance down the beach to the Coral Gardens for some fantastic snorkeling (I saw 3 turtles, which all came up for air right next to me, a sting ray, many reef fish, a huge conch which I caught and released, and beautiful coral which may not be here in 10 years because of CO2 acidity levels in the ocean). See it now while you can. I know I will be back and if I win the lotto I may just be back sooner rather than later.

3 Thank mlh1972
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon and the Gansevoort Turks and Caicos (07/03/09-07/10/09). We shed all our NYC stress and found peace and relaxation. The positive points are endless, but here are the main ones:

Beach: The most beautiful we’ve ever seen. Turquoise water, no waves, white sand, food service

Amazing pool: Has little “islands” in the middle of the pool to lounge on

Luxurious rooms: Modern, clean lines, minimalist and elegant, rain shower, lots of light, comfortable bed, etc

Awesome management: The managers were attentive and went above and beyond in courtesy and helpfulness

HIGHLY recommended. Had to drag myself away on the last day!

2 Thank mlpa
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

Really had a great time here. Beautiful resort. Terrific location. Gorgeous waters, unbeatable weather and very sunny. Great dining and nightlife like its counterpart here in NYC. I highly recommend vacationing here at least once. Definitely a memorable experience. Two thumbs up.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo