“Paradise in Class!”

Gansevoort Turks + Caicos
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 28 November 2009

My wife and I just got back from an 8 night stay at the Gansevoort. I will make this short and sweet outline style:
Room: Stunning modern architecture and brand new. We stayed in a Luxury beachfront studio. The view and terrace were amazing. We were on the 4th floor...there are only 5 floors and the top is the penthouse. Make sure you get a beachfront and go for the higher floors. They have a table and chairs on the balcony and one lounge chair. My only complaint would be the kitchen is a tiny nook with a microwave and refrigerator (big enough to hold plenty for two for the week), and sink. Also, the bed could use a little more support. You should request either the 3rd or 4th floor.
Pool: Beautiful but smaller than we expected...pictures make it look bigger. The hotel is small enough and not too crowded so this is not an issue. The beach is where you will spend your time.
Beach: Unbelievable!! Very large with plenty of white sand and perfect to get in the ocean. Also, you can walk for miles in each direction. This area is nice and quiet, not many kids. We walked down the beach about 30 minutes to the more crowded areas with the restaurants.
Restaurants: Anacuana in Grace Bay with the Infiniti Bar, Coco Bistro, Lemon Cafe...all excellent but pricey...everything is on the island. Somewhere Bar is a great spot for lunch or dinner and inexpensive for happy hour...ask for one of JJ's blueberry mojitos! And beers are like $2.50! Also, the Somewhere Bar is a short little walk from the hotel on the beach. Da Conch Shack for lunch. The hotel has only one restaurant, the Bagatelle. The menu is very small and we only had appetizers a couple of times. This is also where you will have the continental breakfast every morning, which is mediocre with breads, muffins, very little fruit, and cereal. The coffee is the best part.
If you need to see a sunset go to Las Brisas. Also, the locals love Magnolia in Turtle Cove.
**Make sure to double check on your reservations, as the front desk is not good about calling your room to confirm. We had to call them every time.
Groceries: The IGA is new and easy to get to from the hotel...a quick 5 minute cab ride. They also have plenty of beer and wine selection.
Fitness: The fitness center is very small but they have two classes per day that are a great workout. One at 9:00am and one at 6pm. I think weekends are just one class though. The morning classes are packed.
Staff: Tony, Omar, Chermaine at the front desk are excellent. On the beach Leo and Jevon will take great care in setting up your chairs and drinks throughout the day. The service is excellent...just remember you are on an island and not LA or NY, so they are not in a hurry and neither should you be on vacation!!
We loved the hotel and the island and will be back for vacation and possibly to purchase a condo!!

2  Thank travelproSanDiego

Reviewed 28 November 2009

we stayed Thanksgiving week leaving the kids behind intent on lots of quiet and relaxation. The hotel is small enough to get to know the staff in just a few days but with full services and amenities. We have never been anywhere where the staff is friendlier or more intent in helping. The Head of Security not only drove us to town, but picked us up two hours later when a cab was difficult to find. Another staffer drove us to the ATM when the cash ran low. In general all the crew was helpful whether or not the job was specifically in their title.
Because it is a smaller hotel, later in the week the beach did get a bit crowded but there's plenty of room to for quiet of you move away from the hotel a bit. for a relaxing week away this is a tremendous spot.

1  Thank invisiblemannyc
Reviewed 23 November 2009

The resort is beautiful, as is the whole island. The rooms are clean, but there were some functionality issues.

FACILITIES:
We had a oceanview studio room, right above the lobby. I was very surprised that our room was not connected to a hallway - we would walk out of our room and be right outside facing the busy street! All of the rooms in the building with the lobby are like this - I thought it was a bit motel-ish. This was not a problem during the day, but at night, this was a nuisance, since I am a light sleeper and could hear periodic traffic riding by (especially the loud motorcycles!). (Also, because of this openness, the stairwells to get to and from the rooms are also open to the outside. At night, the timers for the lights must have been off schedule, because they were NEVER on in the early evening when it was quite dark and I almost fell more than once! When they were on, many of them were burnt out anyway. Seemed like a simple fix but poor maintenance.) Also, they have sheer curtains in front of the very handy automatic shades. However, the pull rods on the curtains were two different sizes, and both my husband and I were too short to reach the right curtain to open or close it. We were also too short to see inside the safe. (We are not exceptionally short people - he is 5'7" and I am 5'4".) The only garbage can in our room was a tiny can in the toilet room. It was very difficult to properly lock the balcony door. There was no place in our room to hang wet towels to reuse (despite the resort touting itself as 'green' while we were there). However, I admit that these complaints are minor and I could have overlooked them, if not for our issues with the service.

SERVICE:
We were met at the airport by a Gansevoort rep and quickly escorted to the hotel, where we had a speedy check in and were presented with refreshing rum punch shooters.
We unpacked and headed to Bagatelle for dinner (which was excellent!). When we got back, there was a bottle of champagne in the room, with a note. However, the note was not addressed to either my husband or I (it had another guest's name, with our room number). I called the front desk, and the woman laughed when I told her that I appreciated the thought, but that I was not Mrs. Schmidt who the card was addressed to. She said to keep the bottle, but she would send someone for the card. Mind you, we visited in the off season, so there were not many people staying at the hotel - I was surprised that they couldn't get the few guests that were there straight.

Later that night, we were dressing to go to a bar when our room door was opened and an employee entered (without knocking). When he realized we were in the room, he uttered a profanity and left - no apology. (Of course, we should have used the pad lock but we didn't - going forward we were sure to!!) Not a great end to our first day!

The next day, we planned to go to the beach/pool and maybe sit on a pool island or the round beach beds. All had signs saying 'reserved.' No biggie - we still had a nice day and figured we'd try the next day. The next day, same thing, even though again, no one was using them. We called the front desk and asked how to reserve a round bed or pool island, and were told that if we spend $150 in food and beverage that day, we can use the round bed or pool island. We were shocked that these came with a 'fee,' given that they advertise both the islands and the beds.

We had more than one instance when we called the reservations desk to make dinner reservations off of the property and were told the reservations were made, only to arrive at our destination and find out they were not.

Last, but not least, we were scheduled to leave on a Sunday. We received a call on Friday asking what time our flight was on Saturday. We informed them that we were not flying out until Sunday. We were then told that they only had our reservation through Friday night (even though I had a confirmation from my travel agent showing that our reservation ran through Saturday night). The woman indicated that they had availability and that we could stay, but because prices increased since our original booking, we would have to pay a higher rate (by $65) for the last night. We argued that this was their mistake, and that we had a confirmation, but they said that since the rates had increased, there was nothing they could do. We spent a great deal of time with a few different employees on this argument, when we finally decided to call our travel agent. They were finally able to work it out so that we paid our original price, but not after we wasted a lot of time and energy on it.

SPA/POOL
On a positive note, the spa was excellent and so were the CoreFusion classes. The pool was great and we had it to ourselves most of the time. We found the service by the pool and beach to be very good. (They even brought around frozen grapes in the afternoon!)

OVERALL
Overall, the location and grounds are fantastic, but because of our negative experiences with the service, we would not return.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank laurali100
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I flew in for a week with my husband for a birthday getaway at the Gansevoort. We arrived November 9th and left November 16th reluctantly. I wanted to give the resort a stellar review when I had the misfortune of catching the last Tripadvisor entry from NYC. The location, the room and the facilities were simply divine.
We never had a problem reserving a beach bed even over the weekend and were well attended to by Bensly ( Beach Attendant) every day we were at the beach. He even took us sailing on one of the resorts Hobiecats.

We headed out to explore the island on the wonderful recommendation of Jean-François in guest services at the hotel. He recommended we dine at Coyaba where we had the best spiny lobster I have ever had. The patio seating he requested when making the reservation for us was just perfect and incredibly romantic.

I can't recommend the Gansevoort enough and we are already talking about returning in February. The tan is just starting to fade however the experience never will!

2  Thank Luxury01
Reviewed 19 November 2009

As a frequent Caribbean travelers, my husband and I found this hotel absolutely beautiful and on a beautiful beach. We stayed in a beachfront studio with gorgeous view. The water was beautiful. The service at the beach was excellent. Food selection was limited, but very good. Enjoyed the continental breakfast in the morning. There are plenty of restaurants just a short drive away. I spent a long time researching hotels before picking this one. When we were there, we checked out the other hotels that we were considering. We absolutely made the right choice choosing the Gansevoort. The price is definitely better than similar properties. We highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TarponFlorida
Reviewed 18 November 2009

My husband and I just got back from the most luxurious and relaxing vacatino of our lives. The hotel was absolutely gorgeous with its sleek, white, modern decor, the staff was attentive to our every need (sometimes before we even knew we needed anything), the room accommodations were plush and beyond comfortable and the pool and beach areas were well maintained and unbelievably relaxing.

People to note: Jean Francois promply helped me with a special accommodation that I requested. Jill, Bensly, Jevon and Andrew took extra good care of us by the pool and on the beach...they were all extremely friendly and attentive! In the restaurant, Roosevelt was awesome!

We had the most amazing vacation and will definitely be coming back soon!!!

Reviewed 17 November 2009

Spent a quick long weekend at this hotel, having a wedding at a neighboring location. While the rooms and facilities are gorgeous, the service is not up to typical high-end resort standards, which made what could have been a perfect experience, rather frustrating.

Prior to my trip, I had to change the hotel reservation date. While ultimately accommodating, it took me no less than seven calls to the T & C to get the dates changed. The attitude is very laid back, the front desk and operators have no problem putting you through to full mailboxes, direct you to staff that are out on vacation, ask you to call back as apparently the only people that can change a reservation are always in meetings, and hang up on you over and over.

Upon arrival at the resort, not much changed. The staff, while friendly, expects tips for everything they do but asking them to get change so that you don't have to give them $20 bucks to set a towel down creates attitude. A waitress at the restaurant, when expecting a tip for the zero cost of the fully included continental breakfast, wouldn't change the $20 bill I gave her to tip her for the one service of coffee she provided. She actually told me to go to the front desk and get it myself. Ditto when I tried to call the concierge to see about checking w/ the neighboring resort to find out what time the "sundown" wedding started. I was abruptly told that there is no concierge (even though there is a button on the room phone for this) and instead of calling the resort for me instead forwarded me to the neighboring hotel, and after several calls there as well (apparently it is Caribbean tradition to require numerous phone calls to answer a single question). After about a half hour I finally figured out when the wedding started, but then was charged for all of the phone calls.

There was also a wedding at the resort during the weekend, and the vast majority of patrons were guests of the wedding. Effectively they got the run of the place, as an example, there were reserved signs on all of the good pool chairs during the day, even though often no one showed up to use them. The spa ended up closed as I heard that one guest got angry and broke glass in the spa on the day of the wedding. It was loud and boisterous and even the jacuzzi had to be shut down as I heard they caused some damage to this as well. We felt like we were constantly trying to get away from them, we were expected chill and relaxation and got instead a bunch of drunk and rowdy revelers that could care less about the impact on anyone around them. I expect this at Club Med, but not exactly at a five-star resort.

It was a shame because the pool and beach are great, the rooms are beautiful and its a romantic getaway. I wouldn't go back because you can get the same amenities at any Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons without all of the attitude.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple