“Best vacation I've ever had”

Gansevoort Turks + Caicos
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
New Jersey
“Best vacation I've ever had”
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I traveled with my husband and 2 children, ages 12 and 8. The Gansevoort is a beautiful, modern hotel. The rooms are spacious and exceptionally well appointed. There is plenty of storage to unpack everything which isn't always the case. We stayed in a 2 bedroom oceanfront suite which was superb. All the beds were very comfortable. Each room had a large, flat screen TV with chairs and sofas, which were also very comfortable and spacious.

The restaurant was delicious but the choices are limited so you really can't eat there too often. The breakfast buffet, which was included, was fresh and plentiful and included an omelet bar. The beach bar/restaurant was also tasty and had delicious drinks. Again, not much selection or variety throughout the week.

I have to say that, even though this was by far the most beautiful place I've ever stayed, the service is what really made this vacation so great for us. From the greeting at the buffet, through the service at the beach, the cleaning and maintenance people, all the wait-staff, I can't say enough about the people working at this resort. Javon (sp?) at the beach, especially, made everything perfect for us every day. Whatever they're paying her, it's not enough. She represents the hotel in the best possible light.

We are beginner snorkelers and saw many large sea critters right in front of the hotel. A short walk down the beach is a beautiful, small reef that is very appropriate for beginners and would probably keep real snorkelers happy for an afternoon. There's also a good Mexican restaurant there (Somewhere... - that's the name of the restaurant) where we ate a couple of times.

You need to take a cab to get anywhere but that also means the beach at the hotel is very uncongested. There is NEVER a problem getting nicely situated chairs on the beach with umbrellas, both of which Javon cheerfully sets up for you (usually before you even get there). And since the hotel was 80% full while we were there, I commend the management for providing sufficient facilities.

The hotel is expensive (no more so than other first rate hotels in T&Cs) but never once did I feel we were not getting value for our money.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank lmirante

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
burgess, virginia
Reviewed 9 August 2010

This is our second trip this year to The Gansevoort in Turks and Caicos. We thought it was perfect the first time - and it was more than perfect the second time. The rooms in the hotel are beautifully decorated and very large with a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean. All of the staff went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. The general manager, Grant Friedman made sure that we were well taken care of. The Continental breakfast, by the pool, in the morning is the way to start the day you can only dream about. It's difficult to decide whether to be at the beach (one of the most beautiful beaches and water I've ever seen) or relaxing by the pool. The food in the restaurant is gourmet and delicious. Wish I could stay there forever.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank sandraolavsrud
Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We stayed for 8 days and from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we wanted for nothing. The setting is beautiful (the pics you see on their site are accurate), the room was large and open, and even when the hotel was nearing capacity toward the end of our stay, it always felt uncrowded. The staff - from concierges Jean-Francois and Jill to the guys who attend your every need around the pool or at the beach - couldn't be friendlier or more helpful. I lost count of how often we were asked "is everything alright here?" or something similar. They don't just respond to your requests, they anticipate. Being first-time visitors to Provo, we were dependent on Jill and Jean-Francois for guidance on dining and activities. Their recommendations were always spot-on, including dinner at Coco Bistro, Coyaba and Magnolia (special thanks to Jill on that one!). Be sure to walk down the beach to Somewhere for great tex-mex and sunsets, and local live music. Not only would I recommend Gansevoort to friends (which I've been doing since we got back), I'd recommend it to enemies so they'd like me better.

Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Upon arriving, we were greeted with a glass of refreshing juice and taken to our room. We were quite surprised to learn that the hotel had upgraded our room to a one bedroom suite. We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and this was such an added bonus. The hotel is stunning. What my husband and I loved most about the hotel was that everything is within close proximity and it all surrounds the fabulous pool.
Pool service was incredible. Skip was so nice and never missed a beat and Michael was the most attentive individual we met during our trip. These are two guys that make your trip extra special. We enjoyed snorkeling in beautiful Grace Bay Beach and the Ganesvoort provides snorkeling gear for guests of the hotel. Very nice when you don't feel like spending money on an excursion but want to do some exploring.
Our dining experiences were ok. Some of the restaurants are quite expensive and I'm not sure that the quality of the food warrants the high prices. We did enjoy Magnolia and Coco Bistro. These were great, great restaurants. Our favorite restaurant was Somewhere Cafe, which is located about 5 minutes from the hotel. You can walk there on the beach. The view is amazing and the food/drinks were great. We spent an entire afternoon there, enjoying the view. The Bagatelle was good, not great. We did enjoy the buffet breakfast that was served daily.
Jill and Jean Francois were both great. They provide top quality service and are just great people to chat with. Jill helped find a snorkeling excursion for us (Caicos Dream Tours) and we had a great, great time. Our guide's name was "Pop" and I would highly recommend that you request him. The reef in Turks and Caicos is absolutely amazing. One of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen.
Our room was great. Completely functional, yet very chic. The bed/linens were fabulous, which I'm now trying to duplicate for my home. The views are amazing (and we had a 1st floor suite), so you can't go wrong.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone. I will be returning in 2011 (if not before).

Atlanta
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We just returned from a two night stay at this wonderful hotel. From the moment you arrive the service and attention to detail begins. The staff knew our name even before we met them (how do they do that?), the rooms were spacious, clean, very comfortably furnished and the ocean views were spectacular. We had reserved an Ocean Front Studio, but were upgraded to an Ocean Front 1 Bedroom Suite. As we were celebrating my partner’s b'day I had made arrangements through the hotel for dinner reservations. Saturday night we dined a Coco Bistro (great food, setting and service), Sunday we celebrated b'day dinner at Bagatelle (great food & service again). The chef even made us a full size carrot cake for dessert (I had mentioned this was my partners favorite to the hotel General Manager).

I cannot say enough about the hotel, the surroundings & staff. We will certainly return and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing, sun filled vacation in a relaxed stylish / "chic" setting. It isn't cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 31 July 2010

After doing a lot (a lot!) of research on many hotels in provo we decided to reserve at the Gansevoort for a week. I was a little afraid because we were travelling with my two and a half years old son, it didn´t seem very kids friendly on internet but wow! Beautiful surprise!!

Since we were coming from the Four Seasons Las Colinas in Dallas, we had very high pampering expectations.

The hotel is VERY chic, arriving the first thing to see from the check-in desk is the pool and behind, the beautiful beach. The minute you step in, you feel a Miami cool and chic style ….. lounge type music, nice people in the pool, white decoration.

The room we stayed it was a studio and it was great, exactly as the photos in their internet site. From our bed we could see the beach! They provided us with a crib for my son and everything was new and spotless.

We had dinner at Bagatelle one day, it was good, service was great, as in all areas in the hotel. Breakfast included every morning was a good, my son enjoyed it a lot …. The Pool so chic, relaxing and excellent staff…. Service was excellent and fast …… really fast (contrary to some reviews I have read)
Beach was spectacular; we are from Mexico and have been in great resorts/beaches (Four Seasons Punta Mita, Mandarin Oriental Riviera Maya, Los Cabos, Cancun, etc) but Grace Bay Beach was breathless, just like a postcard. Again, the staff was excellent, some of them greeted us every day by our names, they always gave a friendly truly smile to my son… they were fabulous, specially Michael!!

Some tips: rent a car, it´s a most! Driving on the left is part of the great experiences in the island. Go to the Conch Farm, interesting . Taylor beach, hard to find, get directions (near las Brisas) but really worth it… breathless.

Restaurants:
Hemmingway´s : not great food and the service was very rude.
Da Conch Shack: nice experience and good food.
Las Brisas: Nice setting, we went to dinner, good food (not great)
We wanted to go to lunch at Amanyara , Jean Francoise (Consierge at Gansevoort) nicely took care of it, the ride is about 40 minutes, beautiful property (as all Aman Resorts) so quiet, at first we were the only ones there, then we saw two couples, excellent food and excellent service, worth it!

Stay at Gansevoort! You won´t be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
NJ
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We spent 3 nights at the Gansevoort at the end of July. We had a very relaxing time at this property and would highly recommend it.

We stayed in an oceanfront studio with a terrace (no spa tub). The view was lovely and I thought having a private terrace was much better than the spa tub room, where there are only windows that open, but no outdoor seating area. The window between the main room and the bathroom was a great design feature. It let so much light into the bathroom and made the entire space seem bigger than it was. The bed was very comfortable, although the linens could have been a little softer. The unit was quite clean and well-maintained. We were there mid-week and found the property to be very quiet. I did not hear any noise from the rooms around us, except that the doors are loud when they close. I am told that the restaurant/pool area gets very loud and crowded on the weekends, but we were not there to see that.

We spent most of our time at the beach. The beach was very wide and allowed for lots of space between umbrellas. One day we got a beach bed late in the afternoon for free (they are usually $25 to reserve). It was nice and comfortable, but the regular chairs were also just fine. The drink/food service on the beach was great -- the food was very tasty, too. We never had to wait too long for service, and all of the attendants were friendly. We also found the pool to be warm and comfortable, but there is not as much room there to spread out as there is on the beach.

The snorkeling reef was only a 5-10 minute walk down the beach, and it was well worth it. The reef is in front of the Windsong resort. Before our trip, I was having trouble choosing between Windsong and Gansevoort, but now having seen both, I can say that the beach area at Gansevoort is much nicer. The beach is wider and the chairs are much more spread out, allowing for more privacy. Also, the Gansevoort seems to be the last resort on the west end of Grace Bay. There is a park next to it and the beach was essentially deserted. It made for a much quieter, more private feel than the area near the Windsong. It seemed like the area near Windsong was always busy with people walking in and out to snorkel.

The complimentary breakfast at Bagatelle was nice. The selection was not huge, but the made-to-order omelettes were great. Dinner at Bagatelle was very good (not excellent). The prices are quite expensive; it would have been nice to have a few middle-of-the-road options available. We also dined at Parallel23 at the Regent Palms. The food there was probably a little better, but the atmosphere there was really beautiful. There was live music the night we dined there. That restaurant was also very pricey.

I can understand why some previous reviewers have mentioned that some of the service comes with an attitude at Gansevoort, but I did not encounter it personally. I found all of the staff to be friendly and professional. If you are a traveler who expects to be especially pampered and catered to, and who expects service to be extremely fast, you may not find that level of service here. But if you want a property that is clean, has decent food, has beverage service on the beach, and has beautiful rooms and views, I think this would be a great spot for you.

1 Thank mom_of_2NJ