“Simply the best”
Review of Grace Bay Club

Grace Bay Club
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 21 December 2007

My family and I have stayed at this hotel for two years in a row and are beyond disappointed that we cannot return this year, and are anxious to come back next year.
The only negative thing you can say about this hotel is that the friendly, professional and capable staff is that they move more slowly than we Americans are sometimes used to.
1. The food is delicious and varied. Breakfast was often my favorite meal of the day, but dinner at Anacaona was always breathtaking.
2. The beach is, without compare, the finest beach in the Carribean.
3. Provo is a laid-back, scenic little island that has great places to see both above and under water.
4. The rooms are lavishly decorated and their views are incredible, all day long.
I added pictures, but I have to say, the pictures on their websites do not appear to misrepresent how gorgeous the hotel is!
If you can afford a vacation here...take it.

• Stayed: March 2007
4  Thank dermotlahey
Write a ReviewReviews (1,774)

Reviewed 18 December 2007

We were a family of 6 staying from 12/1 to 12/8. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the staff who were very warm a friendly. I have 3 small children (9,7,5) and an infant. The kids thought the fruit punch and the cold towels were awesome. The staff really made us feel welcome.

We were shown to our suite in building D with a great view of the ocean and overlooking the pool. It was very well appointed and updated. Everything I requested was arranged. We were assigned 2 concierges, Lynette and Godfrey. Both were great but if I had to pick. I'd go with Godfrey all the way. They were very helpful in arranging dinner reservations and transportation to wherever we wanted. The occasional treat such as a fresg fruit platter and cookies were a great surprise.

The suite wasa cleaned, well I might add, every day and turned down at night (which included a quick cleaning). I thoiught that was done well considering we are not the neatest group.

The food at the Grill was great. We got complimentary breakfast every day and were always greeted with a friendly smile. We did not eat at the restaurant as they don't allow kids but I can understand.

The beach attendants were very helful with our setup and were quick to set us up with what we needed. The grounds are very well kept and in good order.

My kids did do the kids club and really liked the supervisor Morgan who seemed to enjoy her job. The counselors Latarra and Reuben were also talked about by my kids who were usually the only ones there. I think they could offer a bit more variety in their program but they were OK.

The Spa was OK. It was my first experience at a Caribbean spa and my wife's third. They seem to be constantly booked as we were only given 2 or 3 times to pick from despite being there a week.

The beach is among the best in the world, no doubt. Our favorite meals were lunch at the mini golf (local fare) and dinners at CoCo Bistro and Parallel 23 (the Regent Palms). The fact that the RP nice restaurant was kid friendly may be the tipping factor for us to stay there next time.

Be sure to bring plenty of tip money because it WILL make a difference for you. Trust me. Take care of the right people and you will be king. I am guessing most guest don't do the tipping thing.

Overall we ALL had a great time. Book early and remember to ask for anything you need and you WILL get it.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank gdf
Reviewed 5 December 2007

Went to Grace Bay Club with my boyfriend over Thanksgiving Week; Our requirements were: "Beach, beach, beach" and "someplace relaxing that's a direct flight from NYC"...Grace Bay was both; the flight was only 2.5 hours. We stayed in a junior suite in Building B overlooking the ocean. Dark wood, big mahogany shutters, lovely! (My bf thought it a bit small though.)
The grounds are beautiful and understated, and there are Anglo Raj four poster mahogany beds grouped around the clover leaf shaped pool for you to just flop down and sprawl out on...a British Colonial fantasy. We noticed lots of Southerners,French and Italians, and some NY fund manager types with families in tow. Interesting people-watching.
Downside? The personal concierge services (1 day person and 1 night person) were a bit of a joke, so if you're activity oriented (we weren't) things could be dicey. DO request Godfrey, he's very helpful and nice! I handed over $35 in tips to one concierge, gave her a shortlist of places we wanted to eat and the following day found this small task hadn't been done. Easier to book own reservations, which is what I ended up doing. Coyaba and Coco Bistro had delicious food, btw. Another staff member also gave us the wrong directions to a restaurant that was -- literally -- 5 minutes away...we called on the cell because we got lost. They said they'd send a car but 10 minutes later we were still standing on a dirt road in front of a construction site! Nobody asked us about it later, either. Btw, there IS construction going on, but noise didn't phase us...the roar of the ocean almost covers it.
Once you get on 'island time' and start feeling more relaxed and in the rhythm of things, you thank your lucky stars you're in such a wonderful spot.

2  Thank moonlaff
Reviewed 24 November 2007

My family just returned from the Grace Bay Club where we spent Thanksgiving week. I would agree with other writers who describe Grace Bay Club as being characterized by understated elegance. GBC is comprised of several relatively unobtrusive and tasteful “mid-rise” buildings that blend well with nicely manicured grounds. The staff is cheerful, friendly and helpful.

We stayed in an ocean-front suites which we found to be clean and comfortable with many modern accoutrements including a full kitchen, washer and drier, multiple flat screen television, etc. While some writers bemoan the lack of certain hotel amenities that they have come to expect in “high-end” resorts, for us, it’s more about the beach and the water than it is about whether we get HBO in our suite (although we appreciated the complimentary wireless internet access in our suite). We were delighted with both the un-crowded powdery white sand beach and the crystalline turquoise (82 degree) water.

The nearby construction that other writers describe was immediately apparent to us – construction projects flank the Grace Bay Club on three sides. Due to the location of our suite, we were not bothered by the construction noise. But, these and other construction projects along the Grace Bay shoreline are terribly disheartening for other reasons which I’ll come to later. First, here are a few other observations:

Water sports and other activities - All water sports equipment such as sailboats, kayaks and windsurfers are available to guests at no charge which we appreciated – particularly since conditions were so good for sailing while we were there. Bicycles are also available for guests to use free of additional charge.

Regarding water sports, we were thrilled by the total lack of jet skis. Having been to other places in the Caribbean where authorities and resort managers have capitulated to the fossil fuel-addicted crowd, we are all too familiar with how jet skis and the people who operate them can destroy the character of an otherwise safe, peaceful and beautiful waterfront. Because there are no jet skis, the ocean is not cluttered with the kind of ugly patchwork of floats and buoys that, for example, the resorts along Grand Cayman’s Seven Mile Beach have put out to try to prevent swimmers from being run over by jet skis. As far as we could determine, these insidious machines have been completely banned around Grace Bay which, for us, is reason enough to return to Providenciales.

Diving - There are two dive shops within walking distance of GBC – Dive Provo and Caicos Adventures which I was told are comparable in terms of the quality of the boats, professionalism of staff and overall quality of the dive experience. I booked a trip with Dive Provo whose management seemed a bit logistically challenged at first. I was picked-up at 8:00 a.m. at GBC and driven not to the boat, but to the Dive Shop where it took about forty minutes for people to try-on masks, fill-out forms, buy beach towels, etc. all of which is usually done the day before a dive so as to not waste other people’s time. Once we got to the dive site, however, the conditions were fabulous with terrific visibility and a relatively healthy reef.

Restaurants – Several good restaurants are within walking distance or a short drive from GBC. If you do not care to walk, GBC provides a shuttle which will drop you off and pick you up – again at no additional cost. We had dinner at Grace’s Cottage, Bay Bistro, Coyaba and the on-property restaurant, Anacaona. As you might expect, all have good seafood. We liked Bay Bistro and Anacaona the best. For lunch, we ate on-site a couple of times which was fine, but we liked Mango a bit better which is a short walk down the beach toward Club Med.

Shopping - While there are some little beachwear shops and some other boutiques within walking distance from the Grace Bay Club, the local IGA supermarket is not within walking distance - you either need to take a taxi or one of Grace Bay Club’s bikes. We biked into town one day to stock-up on provisions and rode along the Leeward Highway which we wouldn’t recommend as nobody seems to obey the 40 MPH speed limit and, while there is a “bike lane” most of the way, the ride can be stressful at times. The better way is to go is along the Lower Bight which is closer to the water and much less traveled. Similarly, downtown Providenciales is a considerable distance from Grace Bay Club. So you must drive or take a cab to get there and back.

Threat of overdevelopment – Like most of the other writers, we fear for the future of Providenciales because developers are wasting no time wrecking the charm and character of the Island. Obtrusive six, seven and eight floor “luxury” residential compounds are pushing aside the smaller, more modest two and three level beach front structures that blend-in so well with the natural landscape of the Island. These obtrusive new structures are making a mockery of the gentle island rhythm and pristine natural beauty that make the Turks and Caicos special and define much of its appeal.

There is no better example than the “Seven Stars” development on the west side of Grace Bay Club. The first three of seven prospective ocean front buildings are nearing completion and they are gaudy, eight story eyesores that tower above the palm trees and stand in stark and ugly contrast to the natural surroundings. The construction sign near the entrance says “We are Building your Dream.” But I fear that the Seven Stars development to the north of Grace Bay Club and GBC’s own six or seven story expansion project to the south are on the leading edge of an impending nightmare of over-development that will dumb-down and degrade Providenciales and turn it into just another charmless playground for people with too much money, too little class and no environmental ethic.

Walk a block in any direction from the GBC and you will see roads that are littered with trash and construction debris and half completed projects that seem to have been abandoned as contractors apparently jump around to the newest big thing. The good news is that, for now at least, Providenciales seems inaccessible to cruise ships. Providenciales is still a beautiful place, but I expect that, in the not too distant future, we will be crossing it off our list of places to which we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
13  Thank DPTChicago
Reviewed 2 November 2007

For those traveling to Grace Bay Club in Nov and Dec, know that there are three construction sites within 200 yards of the hotel. When I spoke to the hotel about why they didn't have this on their website, they stated it was a good point and will bring it up with management. Little it did for me and clearly they know if others knew the extent, that many would not book their vacation here. One construction site is directly behind the hotel and can't be heard from the beach, but can be heard from other areas. One is nearing to be done, so is not all that loud, though the last is months away from being finished and is very lound and goes on every day. If you obsess over quiet on your beach vacation, don't even come. If you don't care about hammering and saws as a low background noise, you will likely tolerate it with little problem.

I think the bigger issue I have with the Grace Bay Club is that it is really overhyped and a lot of money for what you get. I have traveled extensively to high end hotels all over the world and have a fairly relaxed attitude about service, food, grounds keeping, etc... and prefer reviews that are balanced and with a lot of comparisons.

So while Grace Bay Club is nice enough, it is not that special. When comparing the service to that at Four Seasons Maui or Four Seasons Punta Mita, not even close. From the small things that Four Seasons does like passing out frozen grapes, Evian spray, or cold towels, Grace Bay Club has none of that. Non existent service on the beach, which is a real pain if you want to stay on the beach and have a drink. Not even close to the Oriental in Bangkock with your own concierge on each floor. Four Seasons Punta Mita you had a waiter for every dozen or so people that would constantly ask you what you wanted. These waiters are good as well, being very prompt, and would go that extra step. For instance they brought my wife and I drinks on our annivesary as a surpise and he knew what are favorite drinks were. Not a big deal, but its just nice and thoughtful, well beyond the call of duty. At Grace Bay Club, you need to go to the bar yourself, which I don't have to do even at low end places. Maybe because this is the low season they don't have any waiters, but still, its annoying and indicative of the service level in the high season. The really crazy thing is that there are employees standing all over the place and I have no idea what any of them are there for.

The physical plant of the hotel is also getting old. Many of the newer and less expensive hotels on Provo and other beach areas around the world are just as nice. The hotel is showing its age and the grounds work is ok, good for the Carribean, but for the overall high end hotel segment, not up to that level. The rooms are good sized and you are close to the beach, which is something I prefer and something most rooms in the larger hotels don't allow you to have unless you pay up for the few that are right along the beach. Then there are things like they don't have on demand movies or HBO on the TV. Not something non TV watchers will care about, but a big deal for others. But the point is, high end hotels have these things and this place doesn't. The bathrooms are nice with a good shower with adequate waterpressure and tub. Then, the pools are barely ok, are nothing special, as they are small and a bit boring. Even the Grand Hyatt Bali, which is not a top tier high end resort and is similar aged has nicer pools, with slides for kids, waterfalls ect.. Grace Bay Club has two small pools which are a bit round down looking, and for the same money, you can get a room at the Grand Wailea in Maui with a huge pool, beautifully manicured grounds, and better service. Also, comparing these two pools to smaller boutique hotels like the Shore Club in Miami, they are woefully inadequate. Take a look at the pictures of the private chair areas at the Shore Club and then compare that to the beds they have surrounding the pool at Grace Bay Club. The beds are fairly old, there is no cover on them for shade if you want it, there are no TV's like at many of the other high end boutiques or private fridges. Again, the pools are fine, I really like pools, so pay a lot of attention, but these are similar to what you'd find at a mid priced hotel throughout the Caribbean.

The food is good. Like most resorts, its not Per Se in New York, but is on par with most resorts. Neither a reason to go to Grace Bay Club or not to.

So overall, I can see why people like it, as there is nothing really wrong with it, but I can also see why people write some terrible reviews as its pretty pricey and fairly bland relative to all the other great places out there to try. I just wanted to bring some perspective to the debate on this place as I found it hard to really figure out whether I would like it based on the range of reviews, as at this point, I know the people who say this is great and some of whom have stated they have been to some really good places, they really have a much different set of preferences then myself and my friends who are down here with me. Based on what I know now, I would not have come if I did, and that is a very personal choice, but I thought I should share it. I would either go to a cheaper place on the island if you want to go to Provo which I think would be just as nice. Some of my friends stayed in the Somerset and I was there a couple of times. It definitely is newer and the physical plant is much nicer. I found the service to be slightly better, but again, nothing to write home about. The pool is slightly better, though the food is probably not as good. I think in the end, there are other Islands like St. Barts and there are many resorts, boutique or otherwise which are newer, with better service, and more exciting pools. The big thing, is that the rankings on Trip Advisor are usually good, sometimes the top ranked ones are not necessarily in the exact order I would have chose, but they are definitely the top ones. In this case, Grace Bay Club is rated very low on the list and there is good reason. Trust the rankings on this one.

Stayed: November 2007
11  Thank globaltriphopper
Reviewed 25 October 2007

My wife and I have been fortunate enough to travel extensively throughout the Caribbean and vacationed at some wonderful resorts (Four Seasons - Nevis / Great Exuma...Weston - St. John...Spice Island - Grenada)...but none of them compared to the Grace Bay Club. From the moment we arrived...bags immediately picked up...to the Champagne and chocolate covered strawberrys they surprised us with on our anniversary night...to the super attentive personal assistant that took care of our every need...to the wonderful restaurants...to the adults only private pool area---> Nothing can come close!!!! As an aside...this was also the most beautiful water we've ever seen...The beach was beautiful...the service (including the mango sorbet served beachside) and the unlimited supply of towels was more than one should expect. Our best memories though will be of the staff!!!! Friendly, personal, professional, happy....we felt like we were leaving family when we left...

If you want a completely relaxing and carefree vacation in a beautiful yet intimate setting - Grace Bay Club should be your next destination!!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MJBDTCARIBBEAN
Reviewed 26 August 2007

My boyfriend and I needed a quick getaway at a peaceful, relaxing place. Grace Bay was perfect!! Upon arrival we were greated with cold towels and the most incredible "rum punch". Check-in was a breeze and within moments we were led to our beautiful room. Gorgeous bathroom, luxurious sheets, beautiful floors, modern dark wood furniture, and an outstanding view on the balcony, of the beach and late night sunsets. Not to mention the amazing fruit basket and bottle of champagne upon arrival!

The staff was the most impressive at the Grace Bay Club. They went out of their way to make our stay perfect...I truly felt like royalty. Coming from NYC, everyone is is not this nice. The beach was beautiful, quiet and relaxing. If you are looking for a place to have a night life, Turqs is not the place to do so in general. Our days were spent lounging under an umbrella, lying on the powder white sand (which we stole to bring home), and floating in the gorgeous turquoise waters on a float. Priceless!!!

The restaurant was great but I have to advise, if you visit you MUST eat at Koyaba one night. It is right next door to the hotel, the food is amazing and the service impeccable.

I could truly go on and on about this place. There is a lot of construction going on in the area and soon I am sure that Provo will become like any other over-developed area...I just hope that Grace Bay keeps its charm and class.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple