“Hotel/Estate Buildings Great - Service Needs Tweaking - Lovely Beach!”
Review of Grace Bay Club

Grace Bay Club
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
New York, NY
“Hotel/Estate Buildings Great - Service Needs Tweaking - Lovely Beach!”
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I just recently returned from several days at the Grace Bay Club.
Overall, I'd recommend it for a visit if you stayed in the Hotel or Estate sections. Breakfast is good, but maybe try to branch out of the hotel for other meal options.

Here are my impressions:

The rooms - "Meh Villa Room" to "Very Good Hotel Room"
Had a chance to see double occupancy rooms in the Villas section and in the Hotel section (there are three different sections of the Grace Bay Club, Villas, Hotel, and Estates). I was very disappointed to see what $995/night (not including taxes and the 11% service charge plus housekeeping tips) got - a large-ish (600 sq ft), darkish room furnished sparsely (you can see the floorplan on the hotel's site). Basically what I would expect from a Westin (perfectly serviceable, but again, at $995/night I expected much better!).

Things improved considerably when I got an upgrade through my travel agent to a room in the Hotel building. Truly night and day compared to the room in the Villas section. This room had much better decor, finishes, and layout. I especially loved the huge bathroom with a massive soaking tub, shower stall that could fit a family of four. They are stocked with truly wonderful Elemis toiletries. The hotel also provides light flip-flop slippers (but if you are a fan of cloth slippers do bring your own).

Food: "Good" not "Great"; But Breakfast a Highlight
Breakfast was my highlight meal of the day (included with my daily room rate). It was served buffet-style with made to order pancakes and eggs in an outdoor restaurant by the beach. They had yogurt, fruit (no berries), pastries, and assorted hot dishes such as scrambled eggs, fish, and mini crepes, among other things. Shirleen's omelets (and great big smile) were a highlight of my stay, and the rest of the staff were really wonderful in looking after the guests. A wonderful way to start the day.

The rest of my meals, all taken at the resort (too lazy to leave) were "good" but not "great".
Food is on the pricey side, which I can understand because we are on an island.

The Resort: "Beautiful"
I loved the Grace Bay Beach. It stretches for what seems like forever and is hugely walkable. In January, the sand was finely-textured and warm but not scorching (easy on the feet) and the incredibly clear turquoise water was a very comfortable temperature. You can either have chairs and an umbrella or beach beds (but not much shade here). There are also several gorgeous pools at the resort; they were barely used during my stay.

The Service: "Needs Some Work"
For the room rates the GBC charged, I really expected Four Seasons-like service. Reality check: if you want Four Seasons service, stay at a Four Seasons. It is unfortunate that T&C hotels have to tack on a service fee. I think this greatly disincentivizes certain people from going out of their way to please.

There's definitely more than one instance where I've left out room service dishes after a meal...called for a pickup...and found the same dishes still sitting outside the door the next morning. Dirty dishes left overnight are just gross...but given that each floor of the hotel room buildings are partly outdoors it posed a real issue (bugs! the smell of the food sitting in the heat - need I say more?). There was another time where I had requested a bellman (said to arrive in 15 minutes...multiply that by four!).

Each guest is assigned a pair of concierges and is given a cellphone to call them directly. A nice touch, though since I never left the resort nor scheduled any activities I didn't rely heavily on my concierges.

I'd say about 80-85% of the staff I encountered smiled and said "hi" to guests as they passed by, but there were definitely a number of staffers that refused eye contact (no matter how close you got to them). Having come from Four Seasons Koh Samui last month where it was "service, service, service", this was a bit of a disappointment!

Room Tip: Choose the Estate or Hotel room (and not the Villa rooms). Make sure the rooms have been recently r...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank citychic
GMGraceBayClub, General Manager at Grace Bay Club, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review and for taking the time to relay your thoughts on
your recent visit at Grace Bay Club. We are happy that overall you enjoyed your stay
with us.
We noted your comments regarding our service. Every guest’s experience is important
to us as we strive for the finest in service and facilities. There is never any excuse for
less than stellar service and your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate
managers and staff for review and action. I can assure you that what you experienced
was the exception and not the rule as you can see from other trip advisor comments.
We value you as a guest and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.
Thoughtful feedback is a gift and we thank you for your input. We are looking forward
to welcoming you back to Grace Bay Club very soon.
Warm regards,
Thierry Grandsire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 January 2012

This is hands down the most awesome vacation we have ever been on! Everything about our experience was pure perfection. Ric Graham is a warm,intelligent and funny man whose company we thoroughly enjoyed.

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 19 January 2012

From the moment I stepped in the lobby to check in, my girlfriend and I were greeted with large smiles amongst the staff and were offered a beverage and a cool towel to cool us off. I had a fabulous homemade Rum Punch-who can resist especially when you are in the Turks? The General Manager Thierry made it a point to come and introduce himself to both of us. There are not too many places I have been where the G.M. goes out of his or her way to greet the guest, that is huge in our book. The customer service keeps going with Max’s service he provided us on the beach and Evan’s drinks he made us at the bar. The hotel is immaculate in every way you can imagine. The night time bar at Grace Bay provides a relaxed romantic feeling with a mix of people to mingle with or you can cozy up with your loved one by the fire.
I recommend a dinner at the restaurant where you can watch the sunset. Save room for the next morning where you can enjoy a complimentary one of a kind breakfast which is out of this world. See for yourself why we didn’t eat much at dinner to save up for breakfast. The drinks, food, rooms, service, comfortable beach chairs, and pool made myself and girlfriend never want to leave this mini paradise. We will be back more than once!!

Room Tip: There is not a bad room
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Let's start with naming names. Godfrey/Kenny concierges Junie waitress...Sian/Jasmine spa therapists....what do they have in common? They are awesome and made this our favorite vacation ever. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank quiggage
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My family and I stayed at the Grace Bay Club last Christmas. I have not had a chance to write a review until now. My husband became ill while we were there and the hotel management made all of their services immediately available to us. They had a car and driver take us to the emergency room and the driver stayed with us the entire time so that we would not have to wait for someone to come back and pick us up. The next day we had to return to the hospital and again they had a driver available to takes us and wait for us. The staff is so hospitable and courteous. The food was wonderful and our two bedroom suite was spacious and very comfortable. So glad we picked this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mollymaguire
Greenwood, SC
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I'm actually writing this review from Grace Bay. I thought I would go ahead and start it while everything is fresh in my mind. We went the week of Jan. 7-14, 2012. It was my husband, daughter (11), and I. Just to give you a point of reference, our idea of luxury would be a Four Seasons hotel. Grace Bay was just as good if not better. The only thing I could think of that FS had over GB was they didn’t spray you with Evian by the pool or beach.

RENTAL CAR: After reading on TA that they no longer provided a free shuttle at the hotel to where ever you needed to go, we decided to rent a car. The car was $350 for the week which wasn't too bad considering we were going to pay the hotel $220 for airport transfers. The rental cars are not what you would expect in the US, but it got us every where we needed to go. Let's just say they have a lot more "character". I’m glad we rented the car. Driving on the left is not that hard. It made it easy to stock up at the grocery store and there are a lot of great restaurants around to try and the car made it much more convenient. GB did not charge us for parking the car.

UPGRADES: Our travel agent was affiliated with Virtuoso and had gotten us a guaranteed confirmed upgrade from a one bedroom in the hotel to a one bedroom in the Villas. When we arrived, they automatically upgraded us (again) to a two bedroom in the villas. I think this may be their policy whenever there is availability which makes people VERY happy. We loved our rooms! It was enormous, beautiful, and luxurious. We loved our location which was on the ground floor right by the pool. We would walk out of our back door and be just steps from the pool and ocean. This was extremely convenient. They had quadruple sliding glass doors with screens which was great if you wanted to open up the room.

PERSONAL CONCIERGE: GBR is pricey, but you just can't beat having your own personal concierge. Vernon and Willah were very attentive without being bothersome or intrusive. They were also quite handsome which was very nice. They helped set up all of our dinner reservations, activities, and even had a lady come to the room to braid my daughters hair. I wish I could take them home with me.

ACTIVITIES:
One day we took an excursion with Island Vibe. Tino and Spike were great tour guides. We went snorkeling (reef was awesome), conch diving, and then to the iguana island. As soon as we got out to sea, five dolphins came up right beside the boat and hung out for awhile. We also saw a large manta ray at one point. If you have a tendency to get sea sick (like I do) then I would suggest taking some Bonine or Dramamine before you go. If you want to snorkel without paying the price for the excursion, you can take a short drive to Coral Gardens. We borrowed snorkel equipment from GB. We parked on the street and there is a public walk to the beach. The reef is right off the beach.
In January, the water was quite cool, but even though I really don’t like cold water, I was still able to snorkel without any problem. The resort also has kayaks, hobie cats, and paddle boarding. We paddle boarded early before it got too windy and it was such fun! I have never sailed before, but after some instruction from the beach attendant, we were on our way and that was awesome. He said I was a natural sailor! LOL
My daughter and I parasailed for the first time. The boat picks you up right in front of the hotel. This was a great experience. You can see the whole island and the reef.
There are bikes provided if you want to bike, there is a small but good fitness center, and a spa. I had a massage while I was there. If you like to walk or run, head left out of the hotel. There are sidewalks on both sides of the road and it is flat. Great place to walk or run.

FOOD: Monday night they have a manager's reception which was very nice. Free drinks and really nice appetizers. The breakfast (included) every morning was really yummy. We would have a late big breakfast, have the snacks that they put out for tea in the afternoon (3-5) then go out for dinner. The snacks were finger sandwiches, scones, cookies, and cakes. They also come around the pool sometimes with sorbet or fruit on a stick. They supply you with all the bottled water you need on the beach, by the pool, and in your room so you don't need to worry about that.
Our first night we had the seafood buffet at the GB restaurant, Grill Rouge. It was OK. We ate at Parallel 23 at the Regent Palms resort. The atmosphere was very pretty and the food was good. We ate at Hemingway’s. It was casual. The service was slow and the food mediocre. Then we ate at Cocoa Bistro. Food was fantastic and the atmosphere is beautiful.

Misc:
• Washer/dryer in the room and they can give you 4 packs of Tide each day.
• Plenty of dishwasher and dishwashing detergent is provided.
• Lots of bottled water at the beach, pool, and room is complementary.
• Elemis products provided in the bathroom (shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion).
• Shower cap, cotton balls, q-tips, really nice robes, in room safe also provided.
• Kitchen is well appointed if you want to cook. Even has a wine fridge!
• DVD player, stereo plays CDs but I couldn’t find a place to plug in an iPod.
• Free phone calls back to USA.

There is a grocery store very close and it is really nice. Like a small Fresh Market. We picked up some snacks, and booze there which was much more economical. I made pina colada's in the room instead of paying $17 for one at the bar. I also packed a collapsible cooler which came in handy at the beach. There is excellent service at the beach for food and beverages, but we saved a lot of money by packing cokes and beer in our cooler.

All in all we had an absolutely wonderful stay at Grace Bay. We can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room (D101). You could still see the ocean and it was so convenient to the po...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank LaineO
Bermuda
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I would and do encourage anyone visiting the island to select this property. Service was excellent and the staff more than accommodating. Can't wait to go again!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bermy77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Providenciales
Seven Stars Resort & Spa
The Regent Grand
#6 of 44 in Providenciales
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos

Been to Grace Bay Club? Share your experiences!