“Loved the Grace Bay Club”
Review of Grace Bay Club

Grace Bay Club
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My wife and I enjoy staying at the “Leading Hotels of the World” of which The Grace Bay Club (“GBC”) is a member. We stayed at the GBC during our Turks & Cacao (“TCI”) vacation from May 22nd 2012 to June 1st 2012. We read some of the negative comments regarding the GBC and frankly, we don’t get it. Our experience was wonderful.

The physical accommodation was top tier and the staff couldn’t have been more helpful. I don’t know what else one could want? We had a very large one bedroom which was clean and modern, the breakfast was wonderful and the staff was very responsive. And the beach was wide, immaculate, white sand, pristine water and beautiful. Perhaps the nicest we have ever seen.

Yes, we were walloped with the stomach bug but we don’t consider that GBC’s fault. We understood from speaking to guests and staff at other TCI resorts that they were also hit with the stomach bug. Many of the resorts also had Purell and disinfectants scattered throughout their establishments. GBC was not an isolated instance. GBC was just the most transparent and down to business in dealing with the malady. We applaud Thierry, the general manager, for the professional way that he responded and led his staff.

The GBC was very proactive in cleaning the hotel, catering to our needs and assisting us in every way possible. Our concierges were Kenny and Godfrey and they were so responsive both before, during and after our illness. They even responded to our needs after hours!! . Our breakfast assistant, Shirleen accommodated our every breakfast wish and we loved the chocolate croissants and full American breakfast. Chris, our attendant at the beach, always had our lounge chairs, ice-bucket full of bottled water and umbrella waiting for us.

We had a great vacation despite the stomach bug and will definitely go back to the Grace Bay Club.

Gary & Roz

2  Thank gkarlitz

Reviewed 1 June 2012

If I had to design what a perfect carribean resort would be like in my head the result is Grace Bay. The resort is luxurious and contemporary but not too modern like the ganzevoort. The resort has expanded over the years but has managed to keep its orginal charm. The food was good as usual and the staff very friendly. Hope to go back soon.

Jarred A

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My wife and I are still at the Grace Bay departing on Thursday to return to our home in North Carolina. At the end of our stay we will have been at the GBC for 10 days. During our stay we have been able to witness a caring professional staff in action. As always our stay here was most memorable because of the beauty of the resort, the eagerness of the staff to please, and the great beach and beautiful waters. All who come here will agree with what I have said above. However during this visit I was able to see professionals in action address the needs and concerns of their guest because a flu like virus hit the island and several guest at the GBC became ill including my wife and I. While we were sick, they sent a doctor to check on us. They made sure we had gatorade and saltines to keep us hydrated. The staff put their own health at risk to accommodate those of us who were ill by checking on us frequently. GBC made a bold decision to suspend reservations for one week so they could go through the entire resort to sterilize it. We have seen this process in action and have witnessed a through cleaning of this resort. Most other resorts in this area have chosen to ignore this virus and act as though it never happened. We have been told from our faithful driver and friend that most other resorts suffered the same virus. All I can say is shame on the other resorts for not following the example of GBC to insure the virus is gone from their premises. I can assure all who are coming to the GBC, you are coming to safe clean resort which sacrificed revenue by canceling reservations to insure future guest are not exposed so they can come and enjoy the beauty this resort has to offer with confidence. You will not be disappointed. We will return as this is one of our most favorite places in the world...
Roger and Sheila

1  Thank Roger B
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary by staying at the Grace Bay Club May 18-25, 2012. It was the most romantic setting we could have wished for. White sand beach and turquoise ocean, just absolutely stunning. Our one bedroom suite was more than spacious and very luxurious. Our concierge, Julio, went above and beyond our requests, including going out to purchase a charger for my I-pad! Unfortunately, I too got sick. The hotel sent a doctor twice the first day and he came to check on me the next day. After 48 hours, I felt well enough to sit on the beach. The hotel were taking all precautions to stop the virus spreading and I hope this beautiful property makes a full recovery.

2  Thank Janet V
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a week at the Grace Bay club (stayed May 21st to 28th).
During our stay, the island was trying to deal with an Islandwide outbreak of the Norovirus. Like many of the island resorts, Grace Bay was not spared.
In fairness to the resort manager, he emailed us prior to our departure from Ireland to advise us of the outbreak, the implications of the virus and an offer to defer our reservation if we so required. Having endured an Irish winter and spring (another winter), we could not be kept away from the Caribbean (our first time).
At the reort, we received an incredibly warm welcome and were introduced to our private concierges Jazz and Franklyn who showed us to our accommodation. Our "room" was incredible. A corner, ground floor suite that opened onto a sun filled patio just steps from the estate pool and the most fantastic white sandy beach that I have ever seen.

Along with other guests, both my wife and I became ill. During our illness, the care and attention that we received from the management and staff was exceptional. The General Manager called on two occasions to enquire if we needed anything. Our concierges were in constant contact and we were offered the services of a doctor if required. The virus is like a 24 hour bug and so we didn't avail of the doctor and chose to let the virus work it's way through our systems. While we felt out of sorts for a day and a bit, we still managed to relax on our patio during it and my wife was almost happy as she "lost a few pounds on holiday"..

The resort facilities are top notch. The rooms are really nicely laid out and privacy is guaranteed. All rooms are just steps from one of the pools and the incredible (cannot overstate INCREDIBLE) beach. There are a number of choices for food (all great), waters sports on the beach are included (kayak, paddle board, catamaran, mask and snorkel). Bikes to explore the island are at reception, the resort gym has great equipment and the spa (elemis) gave me a great massage.

The stand out memory of the resort has to be the staff that we encountered. Each one was genuinely concerned that you had the very best possible experiences of their resort and their Islands. Jazz, Franklyn, Nalia, David, Vernon, Thierry,,,,I could list each and every one of them for commendation. During the week, the General Manager was very visible and available to guests, and we encountered him in the infinity bar (well, we are Irish,,,research) and at breakfast (late) on a couple of occasions.

We had a fantastic vacation at a fantastic resort during a very difficult time for the resort. I think that their ability to blow our expectations out of the water while dealing with an incredibly stressful situation in the background is the hallmark of an exceptional group of people committed to their customers..us.

BTW, this island is paradise.

Room Tip: Ground floor corner unit A111,,,just steps from the beach and a glorious evening sun trap patio.
1  Thank chapter11
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Sorry..the bug was rampant at grace bay...we left and did not see anyone with it when we went to another resort ...grace bay was the one that said it was island wide...there were cases but it was not rampant like it was at grace bay club. I agree they did a good job cleaning and sterilizing but they did provide us accurate information.
We had a very nice suite at grace bay but it did not compare to our accommodations last time we were in Turks at seven stars or the regent palms.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kget
GMGraceBayClub, General Manager at Grace Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

May 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your thoughts on your recent visit to Grace Bay Club. Unfortunately during your stay with us there was an island wide viral outbreak.

We were not the only resort nor were we the first resort on Providenciales to be affected; however, after meeting with a medical doctor we were the first resort to contact the health department. We advised the Ministry of Health that there is cause for an investigation of complaints of illness among several of our guests and staff alike. The Ministry of Health has publicly confirmed that this is an island wide outbreak.

We communicated with our guests based on the information we received from our doctor and the Ministry of Health. I can only speak to what we at Grace Bay Club have done and what we communicated to our guests, I cannot speak for other resorts as to the number of cases they have experienced and what measures they have taken in communicating with their guests.

Please see below official statement of Grace Bay Club:

Turks and Caicos Island recently received reports of stomach flu-like symptoms among residents and tourists in the Grace Bay area, including some guests at Grace Bay Club. Grace Bay Club’s primary concern is to ensure guests’ health and safety, and a full sanitization of Grace Bay Club is now fully underway to circumvent further symptoms.

In order to fully ensure all guests’ safety, Grace Bay Club has chosen to no longer accept new reservations as of today, May 23, and a few on-property amenities will be reduced to ensure the resort is fully sanitized. Currently, Grace Bay Club is providing hand sanitizers throughout the resort to all guests and staff, and all public spaces, kitchens, restaurants, plumbing systems and guestrooms are being thoroughly sanitized with bleach according to the safety standards of the Department of Environmental Health. Additionally, Grace Bay Club is providing medical assistance to affected guests, alerting current and future guests of the situation and offering them the option to adjust existing reservations without penalty. Once all guests depart the resort, a more extensive, full-property sanitization will take place. The resort will be accepting room reservations on June 1, 2012.

Government health officials are working closely with the private sector and taking a proactive approach to the situation to determine the exact cause of these symptoms. Grace Bay Resorts values every guest experience and offers its fullest attention and assistance to address concerns immediately and effectively.

Current and future guests of Grace Bay Club should contact the resort’s reservations manager, Angella Tyson, at 1.800.946.5757 ext. 4007, to address any concerns they may have and adjust existing reservations without penalty.

Warm regards,

Thierry Grandsire

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We were so very excited about spending our honeymoon at GBC. After calling to confirm our room type 3 times, I called on the day of and they mentioned that they did not have our room confirmed in the adults only section- it doesn't stop here. On the Saturday before our trip (our wedding day) I got a call from GBC letting us know about a stomach virus that was going around and to see if we wanted to reschedule. I luckily didn't listen to the message until we were en route to Turks and Caicos. While in flight, I had my mother call to get the details of this "stomach virus". The staff at GBC bold faced lied to my mother and said only 2 people were sick. We arrived to GBC, greeted by hand sanitizer (not what I had imagined) and began to see that many more than 2 people were sick. We walked the grounds, asking people and almost everyone we asked said they were/had been sick. While walking the grounds, I was not impressed with the upkeep of the hotel and they definitely have a great photographer for their website. It looks nothing like the website
Anthony Johnson, one of the managers totally misled us, and did not live us to his word... When we were trying to relocate, he said "I will make sure you all are well taken care of". This included not answering our calls, hanging up on my husband and being no help at all.
We decided to relocate to the Regent Palms- BLESSING IN DISGUISE!!!! We spoke to atleast a dozen other couples that relocated to Regent Palms and we all agreed that it is night and day to GBC. The grounds, the service, the rooms and the beach all far surpass GBC. Save a few dollars and get a much better product somewhere else. I was appalled at the way a "leading hotel" treated their guests in an unfortunate situation such as this. They told us over and over again that the whole island was sick- tha is false. It was only their resort- we asked everyone!!! Even our taxi driver said they have let the resort "go"..... Such a let down!

5  Thank Lindsay J
GMGraceBayClub, General Manager at Grace Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

May 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your disappointment on your recent visit to Grace Bay Club. We understand how difficult and dramatic this was. We are terribly sorry for your experience.

We made attempts to contact you via telephone prior to your arrival to inform you of the viral outbreak in Providenciales and Grace Bay Club so that you could decide whether you wanted to come or change your reservation without penalty.

Upon your arrival Anthony Johnson and I met with you personally and explained the situation to you based on our doctor’s report to us. We communicated to you what we knew at the time. We only had one new case on Sunday and on Monday when you arrived and it appeared that the outbreak was under control with no new cases being reported. However on Tuesday we experienced a surge of new cases. On Wednesday after confirmation from the Ministry of Health and the Governor’s Office (If you provide your contact information I will be happy to send you the government press release) that this was an island wide viral outbreak we decided to stop any new reservations in order to undertake a complete sanitization of our property.

We offered you two room category upgrades and showed you the room in which you would be staying. You decided to relocate to another resort and we gave you a full refund. You made the arrangements for the other resort yourself using the computer in our business centre. You asked if we could use our contacts to get an upgrade for you at the other resort. You received the upgrade but you were not satisfied and called us requesting that we pay for a further upgrade at the other resort. We had no problem upgrading you when you were staying with us but we were not going to pay for you to stay somewhere else. The other resort even telephoned us to find out what else they could do as you were in their lobby for a few hours.

Regarding your comments on our property and facilities, it is rather unfair for you to make such statements when you did not stay with us. You were only shown the room in which you would have stayed.

We have no record of 24 persons relocating to the other resort. There has been only one guest who relocated from our resort to another resort during this ordeal.

We did everything we could to appease you and communicate to you about a situation we had no control of. Unfortunately it appears that whether we had informed you or not you still would have been upset. I personally feel that you only wrote this review because we did not pay for your upgrade at the other resort; which at the time I felt was unreasonable and taking advantage of the situation. At the end of it all I am very glad that you stayed at the other resort as you were able to spend you honeymoon illness free.

Our priority during this outbreak has been to protect our staff and guests.

Please see below official statement of Grace Bay Club: