“A very nice place to stay..”
Review of Ocean Club Resort

Ocean Club Resort
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Nova Scotia
“A very nice place to stay..”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We were at Ocean Club East in a Junior Suite. We absolutely loved it. We had a "sun porch" that was screened in and in the afternoon it was way too hot to sit out there. We overlooked one of the pools on the property. The property is very well maintained and the staff and others guests all very friendly.

My only negative thing that I can stay which has nothing at all to do with the resort. I have sensitivites to scents and the girls in the lobby bathed in it. The moment you walk through the door it hits you in the face. Instant headache. I avoided it as much as possible and my husband would go in and deal with whatever.

Our suite was really very nice and as someone had said, there is only salt and pepper for spices. The grocery store is expensive even at Canada's standards. Beautiful store, sure half of it is a liquor store as they were well stocked. Meat very expensive.

There were bbq'ers throughout the resort where you can bbq your dinners, great idea. We usually ate lunch at the Cabana Bar & Grill and we were out between $40.-50. each lunch. Beer is 6.30 a btl. The conch fingers were excellent. My husband had them everyday we were there. Conch chowder good as well.

We ate at the Opus which we thought were great. We also ate at "Upstairs" which is in a little strip mall over by Ocean Club West, which the shuttle will take you too. We enjoyed that as well.

MOsquitos, yes, they loved my husband, he was still scratching a week after we were back. His bites were huge.

Beach, OMG, the softest sand ever. Long beach and really quite wide in places. Water beautiful. It really is a very nice place to stay.

As well, something we noticed that I was very grateful for, very few smokers. The week we were there, we saw 2 couples that smoked and we only saw them the one time smoking. That was absolutely amazing for me, didn't have to worry about an asthma attack.

We did two tours, one was a snorkel tour, we don't snorkel but went for the boat ride and was well entertained. Met some nice people as well. The other was a land tour, went to a conch farm tour which was damaged by a hurricane a few years ago. Clean up is a long process there. Went to 'THE HOLE' which is amazing and only discovered in the 80's. Surprised that no one ever fell into it. There were other stops which escapes me right now. Should have written this as soon as I got back.

Both the East and the WEst resorts are very quiet and shuts down by 10. Would have been nice to have a bit of entertainment there.

We were very fortunate as when we got to the airport we were the first ones there.We were told about the line ups outside and around the corner. WE were there 3 hrs early, guess it paid off.

Would definately go back..

O

3 Thank LizzieNovaScotia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

First let me say I almost don't want to write this review as I don't want this
"secret" of mine to get out but I feel I shouldn't be selfish. Let's get the bad
out of the way, shall we? If you are clostrophobic don't even consider going to
the Turks and Caicos airport. It's a nightmare. No seats, standing room only,
people EVERYWHERE. These people have not figured out that they need to upgrade
their airport. The security line wrapped outside the building and also had a
switchback. It's like something you would assume a third world country airport
would have. I mean, the Dominican republic has a beautiful and huge airport that
functions fairly smoothly and that country is very, very poor. Anyway, I did
kill three roaches (small) in my room, saw a humongous dead one in the hallway
outside my room which seemed to stay there a long time. I don't think that the
people on this island can do anything about this. I believe bugs are just a fact
of life so I do not hold this against them. Expensive, the island is expensive.
Everything costs about 50% more than in the states. Two days worth of food costs
about $100 for two people, and this is just basics from the grocery store. In
general, a simple salad is $18 at a restaurant and lunch can cost $60 and up.
Get ready for this, a case of Corona costs $70 at the grocery store. No all
inclusives down here but I am not doing an all inclusive trip again anyway.
Lastly, not crazy that there are no thatched roof palapas on the beach to hide
under, all that they have is these thin peach colored material small size
umbrellas that during some parts of the day, offer ZERO shade from the brutal
sun. Ok, now for the good. Safe! Island feels and seems very safe! We walked,
biked and swam everywhere by ourselves and never felt at all scared. That was a
nice change of pace for us! We love the Ocean club east. I don't care if the
room was dated or tired. It was everything we needed and more. And we loved it
there. We are even discussing how we can buy one of the condos. The screened in
porch was incredible. The staff kept it clean and neat and we felt our valuables
were always safe. The beach was, in short, AMAZING! Softest sand you will ever
feel, clearest water you will ever see. We were practically by ourselves when we
would walk down the beach and look for shells. The hotel definitely has the
best real estate on the beach and we were very impressed. The cabana bar has
amazing food. The bistro salad is awesome and the pizza is perfect. Free wi-fi
and friendly people. We are trying to make arrangements to go back in may! It
was great, just not cheap, but nothing worthwhile ever is, am I right or am I
right? I did see the Ocean Club West. Still not sure what makes it more expensive. Maybe I am missing something?? I miss the Turks and Caicos, and I just got home. I really do not think I will ever want to go anywhere else, except for Bora Bora!! I met lots of people who have been there 8,9,10 times and they have stayed at the OC East, and stayed in other hotels as well.....and they keep coming back. Something to be said for that, right? Its wonderful, don't hesitate to take the trip unless perhaps you can not afford the extra thousand or so that you will spend on food and alcohol.

Room Tip: Junior suite is nice, enough room but not any wasted space. Nice to have the kitchen!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PuntaCanaLove73
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a relaxing week here and we will definitely be back! The island is friendly, safe, quiet (not very touristy) & beautiful. This resort is not the fanciest nor do they wait on you hand and foot but the room (junior suite) was spacious, clean & comfortable, the grounds are pretty & well kept, the Cabana Bar & Grille is good and the employees are very nice. And then there is the beach...OMG...gorgeous! I really liked the fact that this resort is almost at the very end because the beach almost felt secluded and never crowded. We always were able to get an umbrella. If mosquitoes like you - you will be bitten so take your bug spray! We took the complimentary shuttle to the Ocean Club West where we got shopping carts & walked a few blocks to the Graceway Gourmet to get items for breakfast and lunch (I am gluten free & they have tons of GF stuff) and to shop for souveniers. Keep in mind when you grocery shop the kitchen only has salt & pepper - no other condiments. We also took the dine around shuttle a few nights and that worked out great as it is so much cheaper than a taxi. The restaurants on the island are awesome to say the least. The service is nice but not overly friendly. The only mediocre meal we had was at Opus at our resort. I would highly recommend Coco Bistro (make your reservation in advance or you may not get in), Anacaona & Coyaba (you can take the shuttle to OC West & walk to all of these) also Hemingways, Graces Cottage & Bay Bistro. So many great places so little time. The only thing about this trip that was a bit uncomfortable was waiting for our flight home - the airport is small, hot & crowded (plus I was crabby since I was leaving). All in all, I loved loved loved my trip to the Turks and Caicos and will definetly return soon and often!

3 Thank otis06
New York, NY
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This is our 5th visit to Ocean Club. There are actually 2 properties, Ocean Club and Ocean Club West. We've stayed at both, but we prefer Ocean Club (east). The east property is at the far end of Grace Bay, a little quieter and less crowded. The west property is a little bigger and walking distance to restaurants and the supermarket. There is a free shuttle bus that travels between the 2 Ocean Clubs. We stayed in a 1 bedroom that was spacious and comfortable. There are outdoor cafes at both resorts. The food is good and staff is very friendly. The ocean is turquoise blue and the beach is clean and beautiful. Sunsets are magnificent! We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Ocean Club offers good discounts. Check their website.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank islander054
New York, NY
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We spent a few nights at Ocean Club (East) this week and really enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere and beautifully manicured grounds. We have been to Provo over ten times and have never had the opportunity of staying at Ocean Club East (or West) and were very pleased with our one bedroom ocean view suite. We were concerned that Club Med next door would be loud and we heard nothing. We ate at both the on site restaurants (The Cabana and Opus) and the food was excellent at both (burgers, fish tacos and breakfast at the Cabana) and lobster & fresh fish at the Opus. Great time and we will return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ann F
Guelph
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My daughter and I had a very pleasant and relaxing stay here. The beach is beautiful. BUT beware - they have bedbugs. At least in our room 6304. Recommend you check the bedding very closely. We didn't notice the bites until the last day. My daughter had a terrible reaction. Mine weren't so bad. But eeeewww anyway.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynn R
PHLPLS, Manager at Ocean Club Resort, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your posting. I regret you experienced some bites during your stay; however, am certain they were not bed bugs. Ocean Club Resorts takes this type of complaint most serious, and I am pleased to say has never had a bed bug incident. Any concern is investigated, including yours even though you had departed.

The bites experienced were most likely a result of "no see ums", or another type of insect. This is to not minimize the feeling you had, only assuring it was not bed bugs that typically spread rampantly. With rainfall the island can get more insects and that is what I believe happened.

I am happy you and your daughter enjoyed many aspects of your stay, and hope this information puts you at ease. Please contact me if you have any additional information or wish to discuss this further.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This Hotel is a very old property. We booked the deluxe room, however the room looks like a 1 star property and the bathroom ended the moment you enter. I highly do not recomend this room for anyone. And the bathroom barely 1 person can stand (horrible bathrooms). Next day we upgraded to a Juniour suite, which was much much mor better than the deluxe. Now I felt like im on a vacation. The suite had a nice pool view, Kitchen, bigger bath, big balcony, washer dryer.

The Cabana bar served good food and the service was very nice and people working there were so nice and always smiling...

The island is just soooo fabulous.. miss it tooo much now...

Room Tip: Building I has nice view of pool and has large balcony
3 Thank Koko725