“The most relaxing hotel stay ever”
Review of Ocean Club Resort

Ocean Club Resort
Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Which Ocean Club is Right for You? This review is for Ocean Club Resort - EAST. There is an East Ocean Club and a West Ocean Club. Both face the same direction on the shoreline, so if you're wondering if one sees the sunset and the other doesn't - don't worry - you can see the sunset from both places.

West Ocean Club is slightly newer with more swimming pools. West Ocean Club is also closer to the giant supermarket (better than most supermarkets in the states), the airport and 'downtown'.

East Ocean Club is only a tad older, not as many swimming pools and not as near all the hub bub - so in our opinion, it was quieter and not as many kids running around, in face I think we only saw a couple kids, everyone else was either young couples from the States or Europe. Ocean Club East also has a dive center where you can take diving courses which they teach in one of the shallow pools.

No More Shuttle
Please note that earlier reviews that talked about a shuttle between the two hotels (East & West) and a shuttle around the island are now dated information - the shuttle was canceled so that the taxi cab drivers can make more money.

You can always hitch a free ride (tips appreciated please) with the hotel's taxi driver - Donovan - to Ocean Club West or the Supermarket. Rides to the supermarket are not free, but he'll wait for you while you shop. Feel free to bet Donovan how much $$ and time you will spend at the Supermarket - it's how he makes his side money because you will inevitably spend much more $$ and time in the supermarket than you ever think you will, even if your goal is just to get water.

Hurricane in Sept 2008
We were very lucky to stay at this hotel for a week and leave just a week before the hurricanes hit in September in 2008. I believe this hotel didn't sustain much if any damage - but it's wise to call and check with them. It was ironic because one of the first questions we asked our taxi driver was when the last time a hurricane hit the island - he said 1960 - so I guess it's safe to bet it'll be a while before another hurricane comes to visit T&C.

The Resort
The quietness of this resort, coupled with the AMAZING, relaxing beach they have made this vacation the most relaxing, rejuvenating vacation we've ever had, nothing to stress over, nothing to worry about - the best sand we've ever experienced in a beach - it is extraordinary fine sand. There are comp towels, chairs and umbrellas for guests and walking along the beach is very relaxing and romantic.

Another review mentioned construction nearby - we never saw any or heard any - and given the state of the economy now, I'd be surprised if much new construction was being considered. However, again, given a hurricane recently passed through make sure to ask the hotel.

There are a number of grills on which to cook your food so you can buy meat or whatever at the supermarket and cook it yourself on one of the grills to save money.

We got a one bed room suite - unfortunately these types of rooms do not face the beachfront but it was very quiet and cozy. Small kitchenette so we didn't have to go out to eat every night (buy food from the supermarket) and saved some money - very comfortable beds and the best was the enclosed extremely large balcony which was nice to hang out at night and not have to get bitten by bugs and we could dry out our scuba gear.

AC & Fans worked fine, shower and hot water was fine. Free coffee in the morning in the lobby.

Staff was fine, we didn't have any issues with them - they were always friendly and prompt. Our water heater in our room broke and flooded the hallway in the room - didn't get anything wet but hotel management was very quick to come to the room, clean everything up and fix it - we were very satisfied. In such a relaxing environment, it's hard to stress out over anything.

Come to Ocean Club East if you want to:
1) Get away from it all
2) Relax and forget all your stateside issues
3) Not be bothered by screaming babies
4) Experience one of the best beaches in the world with top notch sand
5) Quiet experience - not looking for the club/party scene
6) Have decent food

The rest of this review is about the scuba diving...

We came primarily for the diving and dove with Caicos Adventures - this is because they had a package deal with this hotel and we felt - have the best boat on the island - a fairly new catamaran which makes for a very pleasant, smooth ride while you're in the boat - about 45 minutes to various dive sites. Diving in T&C is not inexpensive so shop around, although we highly recommend this place compared to all the other mega resorts on the island. Personally in regards to diving I thought there was more to 'see' in Southeast Asia (i.e. Thailand, Fiji etc. etc.). but the warmth and visibility of the water is spectacular - about 100-120 feet completely clear visibility. We dove with 3mm wetsuits and were very happy, you could also be fine with a shorty or if you have really warm blood - a swimsuit and t-shirt. The photos in this review are taken at about 80-90 feet - pretty amazing visibility for that level of depth. Also Caicos requires you to dive with computers which we'd never done before so that was really fun. They also were extremely safe divers - they do very small groups and have a safety stop bar about 15 feet underwater where they make sure you do your 2 minute safety stop - we've never experienced such commitment to diving safety anywhere in the world other than at Caicos Adventures.

Enjoy your stay here - we can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PandaExpress

Reviewed 7 July 2008

My boyfriend and I had an AMAZING time at the Ocean Club East in Turks and Caicos. We just got back from our 7 night stay on the island. The hotel grounds are absolutely beautiful, lush with gardens and tropical life. The rooms were very clean, and our 1 bedroom suite, was extremely spacious. It felt like we had our own apartment in a tropical paradise. We had our own kitchen, and were able to cook on the days/nights we didn't feel like dinning out. Most mornings we would wake up and make coffee/breakfast and sit on our screened in patio. I was amazed at how friendly and helpful the hotel staff was. Everyone was so welcoming, and ready to offer up suggestions on things to see, where to dine, and what tours to take. One of things I found helpful was the free shuttle that runs between the 2 Ocean Club resorts where you can use amenities at both hotels. We had a fabulous time at the Ocean Club and plan to visit again this year!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jklew4
Reviewed 30 June 2008

My wife and I just got back from the Ocean club resort and I must say that we had a great time. Actually we had an awesome, phenomenal time. The weather was perfect, the staff was great and the resort was immaculate.
The prices for food were a little more than what I was expecting, but if you plan to eat breakfast and lunch in your room and eat only dinner out then it’s not so bad. Be prepared to spend a couple hundred dollars at the IGA for basic food for those two meals since they import everything. I purchased a couple of cases of local beer (Turks Head Lager) and brought a few bottles down to the beach which saved me some money. However, we seemed to always end up at the pool bar. The best tip I good give would be to take the shuttle to the ocean club west which is free and that will expand your restaurant choices significantly. There are two at the ocean club, the one at the bar, and the Gecko Grille, which is fancy but you can wear shorts.
Beyond drinking and eating, I did manage to dive with the Provo Turtle Divers which was a fine professional outfit that will take care of your every wish.
There isn’t much to do other than relax and quite frankly, relaxing is what I wanted. There were no pushy beach salesmen like other islands I have visited.
My last comment is that I would go back if not just to visit, but to retire.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wnlvr2
Reviewed 30 June 2008

My family spend 8 wonderful days from June 20 - 28, 2008. We stay at the Ocean Club West and it was fantastic. IT give you the sensation that you are swimming in a gigantic swimming pool with all kinds of fish around you. And within 2 miles from the property you could do snorkeling without having to pay a charter boat. I would recommend that you bring non perishable groceries in your luggage and rent a car for the first couple of days. You can go do additional groceries and cook in your room. It will save you a lot of money. We would go back with no hesitation. If you want to be away from the big crowds and no need for night life, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank greatvac1955
Reviewed 19 June 2008

I just got back from spending 5 days/4nights (June 2008) at the Ocean Club Resort (East) and was very impressed by the location, hotel itself, amenities, and the amazing service from the entire staff.

My friends and I (4 of us) were unlucky enough to have had ALL of our luggage missing when we arrived at Turks and Caicos but the kind hotel concierge restlessly called American Airlines all day for 2 days until our luggage was tracked down.

The director of operations even personally drove to the airport to retrieve our missing luggage to help faciliate so that we could get our luggage to the hotel quicker.

A member of the staff at the Cabana Bar (restuarant) even brought us conch shells from the beach by her home because we couldn't find any on our own (she told us that the beaches are cleaned a few times a week and shells are often removed)

The hotel is meticulously kept and even has a computer room which was great to check work emails and keep in contact with family.

The lady at the dive shop also made call after call to different day excursions to get us into the tours before we left (note: go to the dive shop first to plan tours, snorkeling, parasailing -- we went on our second to last day to get in some activities and learned that you need to schedule a day in advanced -- but the staff member gave us 110% and kept calling tours until she found one that would take us last minute)

We had an awesome time at the resort and were sad to leave!!! Now that i've been there with friends, i'm definitely planning a second stay there to take my family!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank nysangel16
Reviewed 27 May 2008

We just returned from a week at the Ocean Club (East) and had a fantastic stay. After walking most of the beach, it is definitely one of the nicest sections on Grace Bay with plenty of chairs and umbrellas. We had upgraded to a junior suite and it was well worth it. The view was great and the room and patio were very spacious and clean. The full kitchen and a few trips to IGA saved us a ton of money on meals. We loved having the rental car to explore the island and not having to rely on shuttles or taxis to get to and from dinners at night. Overall, this is a nice quite place to relax and unwind at a gorgeous beach.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EAB1707
Reviewed 24 April 2008

We traveled to Provo with two children (6 and 3) in April. We got a package deal from American Airlines that included a "studio deluxe" at OC. We wanted to save some $$ by cooking in the room and the package was a great deal.

Overall the resort is really nice and very well maintained by a very friendly and accomodating staff. Constantly people working, cleaning etc. etc. Only one front desk clerk seemed a bit less friendly than everyone else. But a lot better than what I get everyday at home!!

Kids loved the two pools and we loved the convenience of the beach/pool. I liked being at the "end" of the development since the beach never seemed crowded. When took the free shuttle to OCW a few times and were glad to have that available.

I was a bit disappointed by the room...bottom floor right near a path and service road (we were told all the studio deluxe rooms were along the path so be aware), way in the back near the entry. I had asked for a washer dryer since I was also told that not all the rooms had them. In the end, I didn't use it much but it was handy. Room was a bit outdated but clean. Bulb burned out in the bathroom and was replaced very quickly. Stove burner came apart but my husband was able to fix it.

So in the end I would definitely go back there but would probably get more info about the room ahead of time. My guess is if you get a package deal, you get the least desirable rooms.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family