“Good and Bad”

Ranked #26 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Good and Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

This resort is in need of a renevation. It hasn't been updated in 19 years. The housekeeping staff and restaurant staff (mostly local) were not at all friendly and some were rude. The one exception was our housekeeper Rosanna. She supplied us with towels, water and a friendly smile. Some of the other housekeeping staff refused to supply water bottles and told us to refill them. The water cooler tasted like it wasn't filtered. The a la carte restaurant staff wasn't friendly,were slow and the food was marginal. The bar staff also was not friendly and the alcohol was far from premium. I don't know if this occurs at this resort or is a corporate decision. When we went to Ixtapa tears ago the alcohol was all brand names.
Now for the good. The GO's were all very nice and did what they could to make our stay enjoyable. The beach was beautiful and the water was warm. The sports were fun although for water sports you have to sign up ahead of time. My husband and I were traveling with our 21 year olad and our 23 year old with his girlfriend. There were not a lot of single girls, but a lot of single men. My kids all seemed to have a good time.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank BMaxplus4
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Dear BMaxplus4,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We were so pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed the beach, sports, and G.O.’s. Please know that your issues have been passed along to management. We hope these will not deter you from future vacations with Club Med.

Your Club Med Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

I had a fantastic time! The beach is amazing, the activities are abundant and the people are great. If you are going to Turks & Caicos to sit in your room and watch tv, this isn't the place for you. The rooms are very simple but if you are there for the scenery, it hardly matters where you come to sleep. I had no problems with my room, the shower, AC, or housekeeping. As far as the food, there is plenty to choose from and unless you are expecting 5 star dining, it will do just fine. There is always a ton of activities going on, and you can do as much or as little as you want. If you prefer to keep to yourself, you can, but I found the people I met to be what made my trip so good.

The staff is amazing and maintains a great attitude despite working very long days. The ones who stand out: Enzo was my favorite GO I met, and did a great job at the bar even when it was completely chaotic. Jed was very impressive during the snorkeling trip I took, and did a great job assisting the guests that were having a difficult time. Jules, a new lifeguard, was super nice and clearly has a great work ethic. Lastly, the lady from Sharkies (I can't remember her name) was very friendly and quick, especially considering she was the only cook there.

My only negative experience with any Club Med employees with with the towel staff, who I found to be very unfriendly. Although I spent my time at the beach, I don't think it's fair people reserve cabanas or loungers for the entire day at the pool unattended. If I did want to spend time at the pool it would have been very difficult to find a spot, and CM should enforce their policy about holding space. Finally, I found the photographers to be too insistent about taking photos, and should give the guests some space.

I was so sad to leave and if I ever get the chance to return, I will be very happy!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank katieroses
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos, responded to this review, 7 June 2011

Dear katieroses,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We were so pleased to read that you enjoyed the activities, food, and more. Please know that your issues have been brought to management’s attention. We are thrilled that these have not deterred you from future vacations with Club Med. We hope that you can come back soon!

Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

I just returned from an incredible family vacation at Club Med Turquoise My husband and We went with our three sons, ages 19, 22 and 24, our son's girlfriend and my husband's Mom. All in all, it was a pretty broad age range.

The vacation was wonderful for all of us! The resort is strikingly beautiful! The sand is white and soft, and the beach goes on for miles allowing for endless peaceful walks ---and the color of the water is a brilliant turquoise!

There is so much to do.....or not do if you just want to chill. The overall feeling of the resort was friendly, relaxing, and fun! The staff was amazing....enthusiastic, friendly, warm, and multi-talented. Our family had an immediate and mutual love for Marco, the Tennis guru who also regularly performs at the beach bar Sharkeys. His guitar and singing was fantastic:)!. A special, warm. thanks goes out to you Marco. You are now one of our family.

I’d also like to send special shout outs to so many other staff members (GOs) who enhanced our vacation
- Fernando, is a beautiful person, who produced the most incredible and entertaining nightly shows, and boy can he dance ! Jesse, you are a lovely dancer and singer. Richie, Kimberly and Jules, you totally entertained us at the pool and shows. Kari, not only are you a great dessert chef, but your smile welcomed my family each day.
- And so many more, Mai, Jed, Nick, Davo, Daniel, the circus acrobats, the snorkeling staff, Seriously, Remi, you do hire well and manage such a friendly staff. Thank you for your special attempts to greet us daily.

Every meal was delicious—seriously! I really did not expect that in a buffet setting. I was lucky enough to celebrate my birthday there and I was made to feel so special. None of us could find anything to complain about. The grounds were beautifully maintained, and clean and comfortable.

All in all, this was a perfect vacation. I truly hope I get to return to Club Med Turks and Caicos for another vacation. I highly recommend this piece of paradise.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank imadiva3
Dear imadiva3,

Thank you for the excellent review! We were thrilled to see that you and your family enjoyed a vacation filled with fun and relaxation. Thank you for all of your wonderful feedback on the beach, the food, our Club Med Team, and more. We hope that you and your family can come back soon for another amazing time!

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

First let me say, I'm not a big traveller, so when I do decide to go somewhere I do my research. I read mixed review on here so was sort of hesitant, but the beach being voted no.1 for 2011 had me sold. The last resort I went to was in Mayan Riveria and was a 5 star. However, it was a family resort and was hard to meet and party with other people since people kept to their own groups. As well, I wasn't impressed with the beach as there were too many rocks, in the water as well. So my next all inclusive had to be beautiful beach, no children, and a friendly atmosphere. Ok, I admit my first thought when checking into my room was that they need some updating, but it was clean and adequate to sleep in. You don't come here to spend time in the room people. Also I have to note that my cousin who was meeting me there had injured his leg so we needed to change rooms last minute to accomadate him. Let me say, they did an excellent job in doing so! As for the beach. WOW! Pictures do not describe it. Beautiful white sand and clear blue waters. And a huge bonus is that the beaches aren't crowded and you can walk for miles. Also there are NO hawkers on the beach trying to sell you things. My daily schedule became.....get up early to hit the gym, lay on the beach or hit the ocean for a bit, look for some activities to get involved with (they have many if you aren't into snorkeling or scuba), then later dinner and catching the nightly shows (how the GOs find time to do them amazes me) and then partying the night away at the nightly outdoor parties. Usually by the end of the week I'm ready to head home, but at this place I was very sad to have it end and wanted to stay longer. Now, I want to reply to those that have given harsh reviews for this place. If you are coming here expecting to be spoiled on hands and knees and a 5 star resort, look elsewhere. This is a 3 star resort, but it's the beach and people that make it a 5 star. This is like a camp for adults that just happens to have a beautiful beach.
Shout out to all the GOs especially Dave for organizing activities, Lindsey and Jamie for the friendly chats, Kari for the awesome desserts, and Nick for always having my drinks ready.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Giz2011
Dear Giz2011,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We were so pleased to read that you enjoyed the beach, activities, and more. We hope that you and your cousin can join us again soon for another amazing vacation!

Kitchener Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

Just returned back to reality from 9 days at Club Med. This may be a long report but I will try to make brief points.
Arrived direct by WestJet out of toronto May 21st. No flight issues. Customs was busy on Saturday but within 15min all was clear. Another 10min and we had our luggage. Waited outside in the Club Med area for transfer to resort. A bit chaotic with little direction waiting for vans and everyone pushing to get on the next one. It was nice to have a van transfer and not a full bus - easier at the resort without 50 people wanting to get to there rooms at once. Rooms very basic as mentioned before. More like a Motel 6 or Econolodge but hey, when I stay there I don't stay in the room. Very small TV like a computer screen but had lots of channel selection if you need. AC worked so -so and by weeks end began to stink in the room. Luckily Get Awat From it All gave us some freshener when they left and worked fine. Fridge had nothing in it - had to ask for water but dropped off within 30 min. Lots of storage space and 2 electronic safes but not enough room for a lap top. BIG minus is no balcony or patio especially to hang clothes to dry. Had to hang out the window to dry. Few rooms have ocean view if that's important. Also no elevators and most villas have 3 floors. Check out is at 10am unless you booked directly with Club Med then its 11am.
Pool and beach fabulous. There are 4 cabanas at the pool but need to get up early to reserve. I wish thoses who reserve and then don't use till noon wouldn't and let others enjoy. When we reserved and left for a few hours we would give it up for the rest of the day. Not may umbrellas at the pool so shade is at a premium. Much better at the beach with palapas and palm trees with loungers. Music at the pool was repeat however it was at a low volume and not blaring. Pool could us some updating but did have a separate pool for volleyball. Beach is long and wide - perfect. Sand is extremely soft and white in colour. Not much snorkelling from the beach unless you walk to your right about 1/2 mile to a man made breaker wall. Some fish but if you are lucky you can find some sand dollars in less than 5 feet of water. We found 6 while there. Another ++ was NO BEACH VENDORS always asking you to buy stuff. Didn't see 1 on the beach anywhere.
Food - can't say enough being buffet style. Great selection for salad, main and desserts. Always a pasta section as well as beef / turkey or pork - chef will cut for you. Only did a la carte once but was only so-so. Wouldn't go again and just stick to buffet. Choice was OK but did not find food as good. Need to book day of at 12pm but line up starts about 11:30am. Only open Monday - Thursday. Sharkies is good for a snack but mostly burgers and wraps. Seating at buffet has a few tables for only 2 but fill up quickly. The rest has about 9 per table with a seat for a GO's - nice way to meet people and get resort information.
Bar quality was good. They will make stronger if you want. Originally I thought service was slow but really only had to wait max 5min at any time. When the weather wouldn't cooperate, it was a bit slower as everyone met at the covered bar area. There is really only 1 main bar at the pool and then Sharkies. Not real convenient from the beach. They did have a tendency to run out of stuff ( mixes ) for drinks at times so not always available. They had 2 beers - Turks Head ( light ) and Amber which were good. You could also purchase Coors Light or Corona for $20 - $24 for a 6 pack. They didn't really push this or advertise - you will have to ask at the bar.
General - excursions are expensive but worth the travel on the ocean. Coral / fish much better than just the snorkel sights with Club Med. Shopping is also expensive, They have a Cklub Med store on sight as well as a touristy gift shop. Every night a different theme for dress at dinner and the resort store would have a special selection during the day to purchase. For the main shopping about 20 min walk either by the road or take the beach to the boardwalk access down by Seven Stars.
As stated by others the GO's make this place. Always available during the day, getting involved in activities but no pressure to participate. Remy was always around making sure the place was running and if you needed anything. Did not do many activities but special mention to Alex / Tito / Pae at the bar. Davo kept think active at lunch with the Crazy Dance. Special mention to Jessy from London - good luck on your quest to be a Chef de Village some day. you'll be great.
Airport on way home was a nightmare. Very unorganized and many flight caused wall to wall people. Couldn't move on either side of customs. At 1st they only has 1 security station opens with about 300 people waiting to go thru. Zig zagged all thru airport. They need more space but also should take a few lessons from other airport like Montego Bay for efficiency.
Glad we met some real nice people - Get Away From it All ( Nancy and Tom ), Azita, and Steve and Steve.
I'm sure there is more to add but that's enough. Nice being an adults only.

Room Tip: Make the most out of meeting the GO's !!
3 Thank lagerbeer
Dear lagerbeer,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We loved reading how much you enjoyed the beach, pool, G.O.’s and more. Please know that your issues have been passed along to management. We hope these will not deter you from future vacations with Club Med.

Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

The beach was fantastic and we were nearly always able to get a beach chair. The group organizers were all fantastic and very nice. The tennis instructor Marco was exceptionally pleasant, as was Remy the manager. My complaints would be the service and parts of the accommodations. The housekeepers and food staff were all very rude. It put a big damper on the trip given you saw the food staff 3 times a day and the housekeepers multiple times as well. They were not friendly at all. Many other customers also complained about the help.

My boyfriend and I are in our early 20's and one thing we did have a complaint about was the clientele. AS an over 18 club, most of the people there were middle aged, and many were single. However we met plenty of nice guests.

Overall it was a great stay, I would recommend it and take your chances that the help has been given a talking to and shaped up. After all, it is a service industry.

1 Thank klo45
Dear klo45,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We were very glad to see that you and your boyfriend enjoyed the beach, G.O.’s and tennis. Please know that your issues with the service and accommodations have been brought to management’s attention. We hope these will not deter you from future vacations with Club Med.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

This trip was awesome! I went from May 22 to 29th. I'll break down my review by topic.
GENERAL:
its about a 15 minute ride from airport. If you dont have the shuttle bus already included in your package, its $15 per person to the resort and another $15 on the way back.
Once you get off the bus, you're led to a seating area. they give you a hand towel to refresh as well as lemonade. A staff member personally escorts you to your room. The main lobby is very small. Seems very intimate as opposed to large and impressive as you may expect with Riu hotels and other similar places. This has a small hut type of feel- no walls just a hatched roof above. This small lobby area is where the main events happen. There's a small outdoor stage where they hold some evening events and a sheltered stage where they have the nightly entertainment. This is also where the main bar is, as well as access to a decent size fitness room, a couple of small shops (ie. boutique to buy regular vacation items in case you forgot). They charge it all to your room and you can square up your bill before you check out at the end of your stay.
Off the main lobby/bar there's a modest size pool. The lounge chairs around it are very comfy and they also have curtained comfy beds around the pool -about 5 of them. It didnt seem like the resort was overflowing with people which was very nice. You could go about your business and see the same faces throughout the day.
Adults only. There were families there, couples, friends, etc... Mainly from Canada (Montreal/Quebec) and throughout the US. as well as Italy,
BEACH:
I've been to Dominican, Cuba, Jamaica and this was by far the most beautiful turquoise, clear beach i've ever been to. The best in my experience. White sand. Very very clean and just like a picture from a brochure. The fact that there maximum occupancy at this resort is about 200 or so, it seemed as though the beach was very empty most of the time. No problems in getting beach chairs- although in order to score a shaded umbrella, you'd have to get up pretty early to reserve it by putting your beach towel there. This is the only resort in the area where the rooms are no higher than 3 stories-so you can clearly see the palm trees above the buildings. Great view of sunset to take wonderful photos.
ROOMS:
Basic rooms. Nothing fancy. Downside was there was no bathtub. Just a stand up shower. The fridge was stocked with water and cans of coke, sprite, etc.. but no alcohol.
They were clean. No insects or bugs or anything (I checked daily!!) But if you're looking for luxury, this isnt it. There are buildings labelled A, B, C, D and I think E (I didnt go that far). They're 3 stories (gotta take the stairs- no elevators). No rooms with balconies and they're located about 5 min from beach (ie no beach view). You get an iron with each room and a safe, as well as a hairdryer. Ample room to store your clothes.
FOOD and DRINK:
You have to try the white chocolate bread............I'll leave it at that!!! Delicious!
It was all inclusive. The food was great- no complaints. Buffet style of course. They had a great selection of all types of food catering to all people. Chicken, steak, etc.. Great salads, fresh fruit, desserts. Breakfast ran until 10:30 am (everything you can think of from eggs, bacon, sausages, to yoghurts, cereals, breads and fruit) and lunch began at 12;30. Dinner wasnt until 7:30pm. They have one bar in the main lobby area- which at times was a bit of a wait to get a drink. They have all the usual drinks. A few times the ice ran out so we couldnt get pina coladas that day- the power went out twice so their ice melted overnight. There's another bar which was open between the hours that breakfast, lunch and dinner were closed- called Sharkies-. where you could get drinks- its closer to the beach- about a 5 min walk from the main lobby area. They also serve hamburgers, salads, wraps and sandwiches made while you wait. They have one a'la carte restaurant where you had to line up daily about 11:30am in order to get a seat for dinner that night- we didnt bother- shouldnt have to lineup for 30/45 minutes in order to get a seat for dinner. So I cant comment on how the food was. One thing to note which was very interesting. They have very few tables for two during mealtime. The set up is for 7 to a table. The staff seat you with other people at a large table. At first its a bit weird. You tend to think people are there to enjoy their romantic meal and you're in the way. But that's a signature thing they do- they really encourage interaction. its quite fun. No pressure to sit and converse with people but its interesting to hear where people are from. We had no problem with it.
There's a bulletin board near the main bar. They list the 'dress of the day' where they suggest the theme for dinner attire- its quite fun. One day it was pink and black (ie. you wear something pink and black if you have it), another day it was jeans, another was white bottom and a colourful top. Its playful. Probably an equal number of people took part compared to who didnt. So either way, you dont feel left out.
WEATHER:
Rained the day we got there- torrential downpour for about an hour- Bad hair day from the outset. And it rained the day before we left for about two hours. Then it stopped. Gorgeous weather- very very hot sun. Bring enough sunscreen and aloe gel. Humid air- dont bother bringing a flat iron..just my opinion.
STAFF:
The staff was by far the friendliest people I've ever met. They interact with everyone and are known as G.O.s (I think Generous Ones) and the tourists are known as G.M.s (I think Generous or Gentle Members)........Someone said the phrases were coined decades ago in the Mediterranean. The staff are imported by contract from all over the world, U.S. Canada, Italy, Asia. They are enthusiastic. I didnt tip them. The local folk there are employed as housekeepers (ie. clean rooms, serve the meals, pick up your plates at the meals, maintainance of the grounds etc..). I was told not to bring the little treats for the women that clean the room - i wish i did. ie. perfumes, hair accessories or the regular items one would bring ordinarily. I also preferred to tip the local people since its still a poorer country. They also have a 'photo crew' who go around taking photos of you while you're going about your daily activities (with your consent of course). I didnt realize that they charge about $15 per photo or you can get a package of 10 or 20 or so or unlimited photos for $250......um, no thanks! I took my own camera. Thus, there's a photo gallery where you can select the photos and charge them to your room.
ACTIVITIES:
like i said, there's a fitness centre on site. open 24 hours a day. As well as a yoga room. The pool is a decent size. They have snorkelling (very fun), windsailing, scuba, tennis, and a section where you can learn the trapeze (yes, the trapeze). This is definately a resort which encourages fitness and activities. Every day they have zumba classes near the pool, as well as water aerobics both in the pool and the ocean, as well as yoga on the docks every afternoon. There's no pressure to partake and they arent pushy.
NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT:
different every night. They have a pre-show at about 915 at the outerstage and get people involved. they then lead you into the inner stage area and the G.O.s all partake in the shows. it ranges from 70s/80s night where they do 30 second skits and perform as various singers/groups, to a fantastic trapeze show with lots of entertaining and highly skilled performances. They had a Cleopatra show which got a bit boring. But the point being its different every night.
Following the shows, they lead you into some area of the resort into the nightly dancing. it ranges from dancing on the beach to the Sharkies bar, etc.. The dj was very good except it was the same 20 songs being played over and over throughout the night and every subsequent night. I like the fact that there's no 'disco' club like most resorts have. Also you dont have to venture off the resort ( i didnt) because of boredom.

Overall, very relaxed and enjoyable trip. They say there's a $20 tax when you leave but we werent told of this. The airport on the way back was very hectic. No airconditioning and it's part of the experience.

OTHER:
Its definately a great couple's place. Met quite a few people there on honeymoon. Also watched a wedding on the beach. Its not really a good place for singles if you're looking to meet other singles. But I did talk to quite a few single women who came either alone or with a group of girls. A few men came alone as well. Its not a 'pick up' type of place.
Keep an eye out for the David Hasselhoff lookalike, affectionally named "The Hoff". He's apparently been there 24 times. You'll know who I mean. He's there twice a year!

Hope this helps. I'd definately recommend it to family and friends.

2 Thank RELAXBEE
Dear RELAXBEE,

Thank you for taking the time to write this fabulous review! We loved reading all about your vacation. We hope you can join us again soon for another relaxing and fantastic time!