“"Superior Room" Scam / Ripoff”

Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Toronto, Canada
“"Superior Room" Scam / Ripoff”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I was forced to book a Superior Room because there were no standard rooms left....it turns out there was no diffference between the rooms physically(size,view, location,etc.) There were supposed to be more amenitiies, a gift, a minibar,etc.(as I discovered late in the week) and I received none of this. I complained on Checkout and they told me I should have complained at arrival. I filled out a Complaint Form and still haven't heard a word. This is ridiculous...it's up to the customer to provide Quality Control? I assumed I had been given a biggger, better room....a mini-bar Is redundant at Club Med and "agift" I never received.

Room Tip: Don't pay more for a Superior Room
2 Thank belangergarry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,154)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Yes, the beach is beautiful. That is where the niceties end when staying at Club Med.

The property is run-down & actually depressing. The rooms are filthy, smelly, tiny & gross. There are no views to speak of, the furniture is old, the beds uncomfortable & everything looks & feels dirty.

The shower is gross & the "toilet room" has bugs & unspeakable smells coming from everywhere. The room is dark & musty... it could easily be mistaken for a dorm room or a cheap summer camp.

The people here who gave good reviews either work for Club Med or have never been to a resort. Period.

The only thing more offensive than the rooms/property/grounds is ....the food! Big, dark dining hall....hamburgers under heat lamps...undercooked fish, broken soda machines, long lines and angry people. Yikes ...they call this a restaurant? It's insulting!

Do yourself a favor & spend your hard-earned vacation dollars at any other resort on this lovely island. Me & my friends left after only 2 nights in this hell hole & checked into the Regent Grand. That's when the vacation officially started.

We ate dinner at many of the beautiful resorts & met some awesome local people who agreed that Club Med should actually be condemned. Folks, it's really that bad. The only way to fix this abomination is to set it on fire & start over.

Even the people that work at Club Med, hate Club Med. Whoever runs this resort should be in jail.

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms unless you consider another resort...
15 Thank Kate O
not in japan yet
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just returned from an incredible week at Club Med Turkoise (late Feb/early March)! Definitely not a vacation that will suit everybody - but if you're social (or at least aren't looking to keep to yourself), appreciate a beautiful beach, like tons of activities (or sitting on the beach), and don't mind a sub-5 star room/food, you'll love it here! The prices here (definitely book on sale, <200 a night per person) are way cheaper than any other resort on the island, and food and drink here are also $$$ - so this is a good deal all things considered. Thank you to all of you who answered my questions - I will write a looong review in appreciation (and hope I help inquiring minds in the process too)...

ARRIVAL/TRANSFERS:
I didn't have transfers booked, but when I arrived at the airport, I checked in with Diesel and was able to get on the shuttle with the other GM's headed to club med - it's $15 per person, same as taxi fare. Same for the way back. Was greeted by GO's with a wet towel and lemonade. Shown to my room and a little tour of the village right away by friendly reception GO Keren and my luggage was already at my door by the time we got to the room. However, if you have valuables (passport, laptop, iphone etc) I would keep them on you en route to your room - don't want to take any chances.

STAFF/ACTIVITIES:
The staff (aka GO's) are super hard working and run the whole resort. While we were there, the outgoing Chef de Village, Remy, left on vacation/to his new club Ixtapa, and Eduardo Carvalheda stepped in as interim chief (he'll only be here for a month before Turks' new CdV steps in). Eduardo was fantastic and well-liked by the GO's. He was very visible at all the activities, mealtimes and shows and lost his voice the second day! The first night he was already introducing all the GO's in the show by name! The GO staff were excellent too - I was primarily here for the circus and the team there (chief Kevin, Ashley, Naty, David and Travis) were hard working, fun and safe. There were 2 sessions daily, at 10:30-11:30 and 4-6, with catches in the afternoon. As a more advanced flyer, I found Ashley the most helpful in breaking down difficult tricks and telling me exactly what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. Other stand out GO's: if you're a first-time snorkeler as I was, ask Jed for a lesson once you get off the boat - he made it so easy! There are 2 boats that go out daily - at 10 and 3pm, but you need to arrive at least 30 mins in advance (especially for the afternoon) - the boat was often full! We sat with Marco and Christian (tennis GO's) for one meal and they were super friendly and remembered us later in the week even though we didn't play tennis. Melinda was an amazing choreographer (see below) with great Zumba classes! Bryce (aka "in charge of everything else") is supertalented and was in almost every show! Steph, one of the chefs at Sharkies, was great! For the fitness buffs, there are 2 yoga classes a day (9:30 and 5:30), Abs and Butt, Boot camp, Zumba (10:15), Aqua gym twice a day (11:45, 3:45). I wasn't much of a landsports person but Tennis was 8:30-9:30-10:30 for Advanced/Int/Beginner classes, and then tournaments in the afternoon. Lots of beach volleyball, as well as softball BBQ and olympic games that were planned. Pool games every day after the sun dance at lunch.

SHOWS/PARTIES:
See below for the show listing. Crazy signs were at 9:30 and show was at 9:45. Yes, many of them were cheesy. The circus ones (flying trapeze and indoor circus) were the best, as expected. Double trapeze with Kevin and Naty was amazing. However. Melinda is the new choreographer who arrived a month ago, and her new "Culture Shock" show (dance styles from around the world) blew me away!!! I expect all the shows to be up to this standard when I come back ;) Crazy signs were tons of fun to do too - just give in and don't think about how ridiculous you look. Though they could stand to do Sex Bomb (aka "we can do this because it's an adult village!") a bit less than twice a day ;)... the parties were alright, depended on the crowd each week. lots of older individuals our week so the party died down early, around 1 or 2 am club med time. Sharkies for some post party food would have been amazing but it wasn't open that late :( Oh, also the musician at Sharkies for happy hour 5:30 til dinner (Pete?) was great - always a good crowd and playing old singalong rock n roll hits.

FOOD:
There was always a lot of variety and I always found something I liked. Breakfast and lunch were pretty repetitive. The omelette station always had a line-up. Lots of fresh fruit. I liked the chilled soups at lunch and there was always a new one each day. Dinner rotated themes (see below) and there was always something tasty. Definitely not 5-star food, but I always finished my plate and went up for seconds. White chocolate bread is just as amazing as everyone says it is! We ate dinner at the reservation-only restaurant one night (Lucayan). One of the GO's told me that the chef there has only been there for 3 weeks and is really changing up the menu. We thought the food was pretty good (again, not 5 star, but worth a try). I ate conch chowder, shrimp and scallop ceviche, steak and creme brulee for dinner and finished everything! Check the resort schedule for the days it's open that week - it was closed on Wednesday the week we were there. Sign ups at 12:00 by the main restaurant. Come 15-30 mins early to line up because it fills up. One afternoon they had a BBQ by the pool - the grilled pineapple was amazing! Breakfast was 7:30-10:30 at the main restaurant and 10:30-11:30 at Sharkies, Lunch at 12:30-2:30 at the main restaurant and 2:30-7 at Sharkies, and dinner was at 7:30-9:30 or 10 at the main restaurant. Sharkies is open til maybe 1am for late night snacks...

ROOMS/HOUSEKEEPING:
They were way better than anticipated based on some of the really negative reviews here. This is a 3-star resort. The room was clean and comfortable. AC worked at all times. Never any issues with getting warm water. We had no issues with ants, sand flies, etc. Sure there were a few shower tiles missing and I wore flip flops in the shower, but definitely not as disgusting as some of the reviews lead you to believe. Balconies would be nice to better dry out your clothes. A little tip for better service - tip your maid!! We left a dollar a day per person and found that we never had a problem with getting new towels, and we got extra bottles of water and shampoo/soap when we ran out, too! (we were in a standard room so none of the deluxe benefits included) I know you shouldn't have to expect to tip for better service, but it's an easy way to ensure that you get what you want. We had a problem with getting our safe open one day and they sent someone to our room within 15 minutes. As for the exterior of the buildings and the grounds, yes they were a bit more rustic but they were always being worked on and cleaned. The backsides of the buildings (that no one ever sees) are probably disgusting, but again, no one is supposed to see them. PS- with the rooms, we were in F which everyone was saying is for Far away... really, it was <5 minute walk to the pool/food so really not a big deal if you are placed in the 'boonies'!

BEACH:
Beach towels were to be picked up at a kiosk beside the bar. They were out a couple times I tried to get one (annoying), but came back 10 minutes later and another was available. No mean-ness from the housekeeping staff as others mentioned. It was a PITA to get beach chairs every day unless you were up at the crack of dawn though - they could really buy more beach chairs! Aside from that... what a beautiful beach! Just breathtaking! And so big compared to all the surrounding resorts. I didn't use the pool, but it certainly looked clean.

WEATHER:
I was worried coming because there was a ton of rain forecasted on at least half of the days. It really only rained on 2 mornings, for 5 minutes each or so, then cleared up and was sunny the rest of the time. One or two of the days were quite windy and made it hard to learn how to sail, windsurf and snorkel, but the other days were great. Temperatures were around 28-30 degrees C during the day and 23ish at night (I brought a cardigan to wear to the evening shows). The water was cool when you first got into it but easy to acclimatize to.

CROWD:
The village was full this week. Since I had no other weeks to compare it to, I couldn't really tell. There were no issues with lineups for food or getting a dinner table. If you wanted an outside table or an inside table for 2 get there early. On some days I did notice more participation in trapeze (up to 15-20 people), although there were some days within the same week where it was dead. Advanced tennis lessons bright and early apparently had 15! The snorkel boat filled up a couple times, esp in the afternoon so get there more than 30 mins in advance - you can get there an hour before and line up your flip flops... With regards to GM location, tons of English-speaking Canadians (mostly TO and MTL), tons of Americans (mostly NYC, NJ, philly) and a smattering of others. I was never stuck at a French-speaking only table. Age range was probably on the older side. Tons of guests in their 60s but there were also a healthy dose of 20-40 year olds too (who were probably the minority). Everyone was friendly though, no matter the age.

INTERNET:
Can get it for $5 an hour (which can last the whole week if you log on and off appropriately) or $50 a week. Wish it was free (and faster) but that would probably detract from people enjoying the beach and activities as much! The signal was impossible to get from most of the rooms, but around the pool had the best connection. There was also an area by the basketball area with lots of couches, bookshelf and 2 computers set up if you don't have your own laptop.

DRESS CODES/THEMES (note: the days of each theme apparently change from week to week):
Saturday
Dress code: 70s/80s
Food: Italian
Show: Music Factory show
Party: retro dance party

Sunday
Dress code: Movie star (this is usually another night, but it was altered for the Oscars that night)
Food: Mexican
Show: Cabaret
Party: at the bar

Monday
Dress code: White and colorful
Food: Fusion (Asian)
Show: Popular
Party: Glow party behind the theatre

Tuesday

Thursday
Dress code: Elegant
Food: French
Show: Sports awards, GO band
Party: Sensation party in the theater

Friday
Dress code: All white
Food: Chef's choice
Show: Circus show (indoors)
Party: goodbye party in the bar/ champagne toast

... whew! thanks for reading to the bitter end and hope that helps someone :)

Room Tip: Pick a room close to the activities you enjoy. A and D are close to the village centre, D/E by Shar...
10 Thank unitoro
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Our second time and loved every minute of it!!

2011 - As with many guests, the first time we arrived, we looked at the rooms and said "we booked a deluxe", and as all hear "this is a deluxe". I was looking for somewhere else to stay and was miserable, how could this happen on my vacation?

2012 - It was so bad we came back to meet all of the terrific friends we met last year and we will have to go back next year to make it an annual and catch up with all of our new new friends

GO's,
My buddy Joel your great and look forward to solving the worlds problems with you over a beer.
Maureen - Downward dog from where I was sitting is not a bad thing, hope your feeling better.
Andi - Lots of fun at sharkies, thanks for the care and attention.
Christian - Was leaving a Canucks hat for you but it was stolen by a Habs fan

Eduardo - If you stop talking your voice may come back!!

For those of you looking for the Ritz Carlton (on business we do stay in 5 stars around the world) this is not for you!!
However if your 18 - 80 and fun loving, active (or not), considerate, happy people, you'll feel like you just hit Nirvana.

Foods very good, didn't see or meet montazuma or his revenge

Oh yeah - No children we love our kids, but lets be clear its a whole different vacation when the little gems are at home.

rooms are clean and functional.

If your going for a week purchase the CIA package for phone and internet. It costs $70 for unlimited International calls and Internet, just a couple of calls can eat this up.
Even better don't use the phone or computer at all.

If you get up at 6 am to reserve a Palapa have the courtesy to use it, and the class to move on when you've be displaced after leaving it empty for 4 hours.

If you ask nice and use a little chicanery there are ways around the 1 towel rule, be discreet.

Best beach we've ever seen, in the immortal words of the California Governor "I'll be back"

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Geoff H
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Read all the room complaints but come on its club med not the Ritz Carlton. Rooms are clean and basic but that's not what you go to club med for. We went diving( great job Rita), snorkeling( thanks Jedi), and sailing. ( Saw 3 dolphins -one came really close - less than a foot or two- JoJo ??). Foods decent, bars always lively. Joel remembered our order and always had a couple of cold beers ready for us ( thanks Joel) Sat with many interesting people for dinner.
We chose this resort because it was adults only. We've been to family resorts where everyone's in bed by 9.30 and we didn't want that!. T&C didn't disappoint
great party atmosphere.

best features: beach, activities and the people who go there.
worst features: shortage of beach beds and towels.

Room Tip: stayed in A block sea view deluxe paid a little extra to upgade to it
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Just returned from one week at Club Med Turkoise and had an amazing time. The facility itself is a little run down but you can't beat the spirit of the staff aka GOs at this facility. The Chef du Village changed hands to Eduardo on Tuesday and you could see the energy level boosted to new heights. My husband and I have traveled a lot in the Caribbean however, this was by far the most beautiful beach and water anywhere. Sharkies at 5PM had Pete singing old folk music..ala Cat Stevens, Harry Chapin, and some country western music on his guitar as the sun set which was also gorgeous...The food was okay..Desserts by Kari AMAZING! But if you want luxury...this is not the place...Been to many all inclusive resorts that are much more luxurious but it was "Buy one, get one 1/2 off" which made it impossible to pass up. Very relaxing...would do it again..but the facilities do need a facelift..Didn't spoil one minute of our vacation though. Jules was excellent around the pool...still waiting for a copy or titles to his water aerobics playlist!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in D,E,F are more quiet...
1 Thank Anita B
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from 12 glorious days in this little slice of heaven. This was our first time in a Club Med AND our first time to Turks and Caicos. Turks and Caicos was amazing... the beach is indescribable and so nice that it wasn't crowded with thousands of people. You can walk for miles..... The weather was fantastic (always a plus in making a winter vacation enjoyable) and the ocean was calm, clear and breathtaking. We spent most of our time either on the beach or by the pool. As this resort is adults only, the joy of not having to deal with "other people's kids" also added greatly to the experience. I have been to many all inclusive resorts and the "vibe" at this resort was better than all the others. The food was excellent (it is a buffet) - great choice, great quantities and made with care. The sit down restaurant was nothing special - we found the food at the buffet better! The GO's were fantastic - very good at gauging whether you were into doing something all the time or just there to relax. Special shout out to Naomi at the boutique, Jedi at snorkelling, Andi at Sharkie's bar (made fab drinks for my husband and was very creative at non-alcoholic bevies for me), Mei and Remy who were very visible and engaging, Jules for the challenging aqua gym, Catherine and finally Lauren in housekeeping. Although the rooms were basic - they were clean and we found them completely adequate for our needs. The bed was comfy (on the firm side) and there was plenty of space. We stayed in E building on the second floor - great view of the trapeze but a bit of stretch to see the ocean :-) The resort is definitely showing it's age (built in 1984) and if you are looking for 5 plus star luxurious with staff to wait on you hand and foot, you will be disappointed. BUT, if you are looking for a calm, relaxing beach vacation, with good food, good people and glorious scenery, this is the place for you! We will absolutely be back. "Hands up baby Hands up!"

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple