“Another amazing experience in Turkoise”

Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos
Ranked #26 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Another amazing experience in Turkoise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Myself and 20 friends vacationed in paradise at Club Med Turkoise Oct 19-26th. The majority of us vacation in Turks 2x a year, and our experience was once again phenomenal. It is necessary to give credit to the general manager, CDV Mike Clark, for all the noticeable, minor changes he has made at Turks. For those of us who return on a regular basis it has made a huge difference-thank you. Mike’s energy, presence, and overall love for the village is evident and sets the tone for what is sure to be an amazing trip.

The staff, or team, at Club Med Turkoise once again went above and beyond their call of duty to accommodate, entertain, and ‘make’ the vacations of our group and those in the village. A special mention to a few who truly made our groups vacation memorable:

Bryce in landsports, Brian at circus, the most adorable choreographer Brooke, the head of purchasing Jimmy, the Sharkies dynamic duo of Mikey and Travis, bar Mike, DJ Jimmy, Eric at sailing- thank you all for contributing to another amazing vacation.

Countdown to the Spring trip starts now...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hayley S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
Barrhead, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

A lot has been said in these reviews about the rooms. They are nice, clean and comfortable. Luxurious? No. If that's what you want go someplace else, but you'll miss the friendly spirit and positive energy of Club Med Turkoise. This is the experience you can expect.

On arrival you'll be greeted by the happy faces of GO's who immediately treat you like you are close family coming home from an extended absence. After a cool drink your personal escort will take you to your room while telling you about their team and the activities. They will describe the eco-friendly actions guests can take to reduce waste. They will ask you about you and they won't forget your name. They make you feel welcomed and wanted.

The rooms, as mentioned, are not glamorous but they have ample space to store 2 full suitcases of clothes. And while shorts and swim suits are all you need to enjoy day time activities, it's fun to participate in the dress up theme each night. Some standards are all black, all white, flowers or floral, maybe a pirate night and certainly a 45 night.

As you take your first stroll around the spacious well kept grounds you'll notice almost everyone greets you cheerfully, guests and GO's alike. It's interesting how natural that level of friendliness becomes. As you stroll the beach and approach other resorts, that friendliness dissipates, and you realize you're not at club med anymore. You turn, go back and as you enter club med property, you're greeted again... it feels good to be home.

As the days pass, you join in some activities, on land, in the water, or in the air (trapeze). You get to know the GO's and they get to know you. They are a great team. Energetic, enthusiastic and kind. You get to participate as much as you want or as little as you want. No pressure. Their motto is 'It's your vacation'.

We got to know several GOs because of the activities we chose. Jake, Bryce and Patricia in sports and recreation: We loved the daily Aquafit in the pool. It quickly became a great part of our daily routine. Hugo, Tonya, Chris, Hillary and the rest of the dive team: Thank you for your patient instruction and dedication to safety. Eric, Fendy and Fred at sailing: Thanks for the ride. We didn't have time for lessons this visit. Maybe next time. And wow, Rudolpho (Rudy) and Jeanette (spelling?) thanks for an awesome couples massage at the beach. We didn't want it to end. Next time we will know to schedule more visits!

The evening shows involved Brook the choreographer, Erin the costume girl, Jimbo the set design guy, and the lighting and sound team. Together they do a great job unleashing the diverse talents of the GOs to create highly entertaining, if not perfectly precise, performances each night.

The GOs all work hard under the guidance and direction of the chief of village, Mike, and his leadership team of Corentin, Christian, Hany and others. After a full day of taking care of guests and activities, the entire team gets on stage to perform with vigor and passion in their effort to entertain their guests.

There were others whom we saw less because of the activities we chose but certainly are worth mention: The team that work in reception or behind the scenes were around to engage with guests at dinner or other times, Saphir the nurse's playful bantering with guests made us giggle, Astrid's heart of gold shone in her honest eyes, Emma the bartender's beautiful smile was infectious, and Todd's rapid fire pouring and precise memory for our favorite drinks was amazing. The guys at the main bar, Emmanuel and Macken made a nice espresso, and their espresso martini - yummmm.

And the food... It was fresh, tasty, served with a smile, and supported by intuitive greeters who seated us with a nice variety of guests and GOs. Loved the desserts (too much), and appreciated the specially prepared plates on the theme nights.

We have been on cruises with Carnival, at all-inclusive resorts throughout the Caribbean and in Mexico, and we have stayed at boutique hotels and bed and breakfasts all over, but we have never felt so connected to our hosts as we experienced in Club Med Turkoise. This was a GREAT vacation!

Room Tip: Give them a call to describe your intended activities and they will match you to the right location.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark T
Danville, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We received a welcome by the staff as we pulled up. We received a quick reception then were given a guide to show us to our rooms. My guide seemed to know very little about the resort surprisingly. When we made it to the room there were nice flowers placed on the bed, bathroom, etc along with a bottle of wine and a note from my travel agent (not typical). They didn’t have a bottle opener – I asked the guide if I could get one – she had to ask and said I would need to cross the resort and bring it to the bar and they could open it but they didn’t have one to give/loan to me. I find that odd – especially when they placed the bottle in the room.

The beach was GORGEOUS! White powdery sand, beautiful turquoise water, bath-water warm, just fantastic. There is no shore diving because its all sand and the bus driver said it wouldn’t be allowed anyway because boats pass by there.

DIVING
I was surprised by the scuba shop – Apparently what I pre-paid for did not include a dive master – So what I would get is a boat ride and find your own buddy on the boat to dive with –OR I could pay $10/dive extra to go with an instructor. As far as adding dives you get two dives a day except for 1 afternoon and 1 night dive per week. Limited options – but at additional fee of course.
I was irritated that one of the dive masters (Hugo) was giving the divers a mnemonic to remember some pre-dive steps – Something like “Bangkok ladies are dudes” or “Bruce Willis is a faggot”. Obviously they are in need of some education in tact.
The manager of the dive shop comes off very frigid – by the end of the week she loosened up a little – but other divers had the same comment.
The dive masters did pre-dive talks but did not point out much during the dives – they would spot the big stuff (sharks) though. I will say that Hugo did something cool by bringing some toys down with us to demonstrate pressure to us (and someone trying to get her Advanced open water certification – which by the way he spent a good 10 minutes at least with her during the dive and the rest of us just had to wait). He had a ping pong ball that held its shape at depth until you squeeze it then it implodes. Also he cracked an egg under water to show the pressure keeps the egg together.
On 2 days of the dives, the air tanks were not full – apparently they had issues with their gauge which left 1700-2000 psi in the tanks instead of 3000. Luckily there were a few tanks left over from another day. I did point out to Nick(or Hugo?) that the tanks were low, he said I had 30 minutes to find a new one before we reached the dive site.
We had to setup our own gear – just fyi.
The dive boat was a very nice large catamaran. It was nice they dropped 2 metal bars on both sides of the boat to hang to at 15 feet – even extra air regs at that depth in case anyone needed it. Nice touch.
I found it interesting that some of the dive masters hadn’t been to some of the sites we went to. One would think we are paying extra for an experienced guide but I think they look at it as you’re getting a dive instructor.
On the third day my regulator malfunctioned. I was able to use their equipment for the rest of the trip but without a dive computer – I just used a BCD and regulator. They said I didn’t need a computer since I was with an instructor. I would have liked to used my bcd but the universal line attachments didn’t fit. One of the DM’s said he knew what the problem was with my regulator and would try to take a look at it. Over the next few days he would say he didn’t have time then finally his wrenches were missing so he couldn’t do it. (Yeah I know he’s not responsible for my equipment breakdown at all – but the couple of days chasing him just added to some of the bad experiences I had.) They do have a dive shop door called repairs – not sure who that was going to apply to since they didn’t fix mine – the manager said I don’t know what Stefan told you but we don’t fix that type.
On the positive side, they have a free doctor who you must talk to if you take any medication. He spoke very little English but was friendly. He helped take care of an ear problem I was having – so I got to keep diving. Though in an emergency I would be concerned.
An educational class on the local diving would have been nice – whats unique about this area, talk about soft corals/hard corals, unique creatures, environmental concerns, etc.

BEACH BOATS
A new friend and I decided it would be fun to take a catamaran out (small sailboat). The staff member put the boat in the water and said there you go. I asked for some tips, he said pull this rope (for the sail), steer with this bar and go. We all know there a lot more to sailing like tacking back and forth with the wind – luckily I had some previous experience and found it to be pretty easy – but for a vacationer – this lack of instruction, could be pretty dangerous. Can you imagine they just kept being blown away? Another guest also told me they got the same “lesson” I did.
Another day I asked if I could try windsurfing. Two of the staff members were sitting and just chatting – they pointed one out that I could take (without standing up). I asked for some pointers since I was new at it and one of the guys looked disgusted and said lessons were only available at 10 am (which is when I am always diving). But apparently there was a 3rd staff member who was giving a lesson to a girl in a bikini and I was told to listen in on her lesson. Obviously it needs a to be a hands on experience so it did me little good. The two staff members continued sitting and chatting away. I finally just tried to take it out but I couldn’t even stand on the board. I dragged it back to shore and walked away – no help/comment/assistance from the staff.
Once a week they would have a regatta (catamaran race) and armada (group sailing trip to iguana island – pretty cool). I was told different days and times to sign up for the events – when I made a point of coming when I was told to do so, they said that was the wrong information – come back at this other day and time. The winds were very weak during my stay. I went to the regatta and the newer guy said nobody showed up but I could take the boat out myself. Figuring these guys would know the wind conditions, I went out. Just off shore, the winds were dead. The staff guys just left me stranded. Two guests actually swam out to my boat and towed me back in. First of all the staff should have known conditions and not let newbies take it out – maybe it was all a joke to them, Secondly they have a motor boat that they could have brought me in but again they didn’t lift a finger.
I wrote a 3 page comment card to the management about the above experiences because I felt like they treated me like crap. The general manager acknowledged receipt and the sporting manager briefly talked to me about it. It apparently didn’t make a difference though. On the day of the armada – boat assignments were a complete mess. We finally got our boat and set sail. All (but one) of the boats were sailing by us and leaving us far, far behind. There was again the motor boat but he stayed with the lead boats meanwhile 2 boats were left a mile behind. Would have been better customer service if they circled back to check to see if there was trouble. It turned out the other boats had bigger or multiple sails – but there was no way for us to keep up.

FRONT DESK
Serena was awesome. But there was one guy working with me then another associate asked him a question – and he just walked away from me and held a conversation with me just standing there for a while – I finally gave up. This same guy on another occasion was fiddling around and said I’ll be with you in a few minutes – no other guests – just typing on the computer. Could have asked what my question was or something. Again really poor customer service.

RESTAURANT(s)
Chef Mikey was super friendly – one of the friendliest of all of the staff. The buffet food was fairly unremarkable but would have an occasional dish that was nice (usually plated pretty but itty bitty portion). They did have a really nice and famous chocolate bread which you have to try if you ever go. I found the pastries to be more of a European blandness which is disappointing when going off diet.
They have the “fancy” restaurant on 3 nights a week but with reservations only that have to be made precisely at 6pm the day before. It was always sold out for me or I just missed it.

SEND OFF
It was nice that they send staff to pickup your luggage that you leave outside your door (thought a little concerning we are just to leave out luggage unsupervised). Checkout was at 10am. Shuttle to the airport was at 12pm. Nothing you can really do during this time since you’re all packed. Lunch didn’t open until 1215 so no chance to get a bite prior to a long day of travel (except some breakfast leftovers). Would have been really nice if there were some sandwiches to go or some option as there was little to no food service option at the airport itself. The staff did come out to wish the travelers a pleasant send off.

GENERAL MANAGER
Mike is a good guy – he welcomes every excursion group when they come back, learns guests names, participates in many of the shows – he was friendly, professional, overall good gm.

GENERAL STAFF
It was interesting that the staff members were told to interact with the guests – like at happy hour/after shows they should be getting to know the guests. It seems like a nice touch but fake at the same time. Patricia was the only one that was fun to talk to. Many of the others were cruising to get laid. I heard of one of the staff that will get it on with 3 different ladies a night. Maybe that their idea of customer service but to me that’s just kinda gross (especially if you were number 3! – yuck!)
Keep in mind – the staff seemed to be very young and inexperienced (early 20’s). I feel for the management as these kids who are party focused, have to be tough to manage. Customer service in general did not seem to be their focus at all.

ROOMS
A bit in dis-repair (missing bathroom tiles, ceiling mold, mysterious contruction glue, burned lamp shades). Air conditioning was either crazy cold or off. Actually my last night had a good rain storm come in. Some of the guest rooms were flooded! My friend said her entire floor was under water. I guess I got lucky with only the light fixture dripping water onto my floor. Heard a staff members laptop got flooded from the leaks. I would be completely pissed if that happened to my equipment.
I heard from another guest that Club Med leases the property from the government and that the government was looking to not renew their lease as this was prime real estate that could be redeveloped. And that it why in theory they are not investing in maintaining the property. Then I would hear from another guest that that comes up and then magically the lease gets renewed.

In theory you can drink the water but it had a certain stink to it. They give you 2 bottles of water that you can carry down to the bar area to refill.

I didn’t feel like I had a great handle on things – like hey you don’t need to go into town to go shopping when there are shops right next door to club med. Pretty much nobody knew about the Conque farm which is the only one in the world. There was little to no information about anything outside of the resort. I kept asking for something/anything cultural – The only thing that came close was a weekly fish fry with the locals. I went to that which was nice. Apparently these islands aren’t much for natives or much of any culture – its basically complete tourism with nearly all the people on the island being from different countries – so there was no real culture to take in. There was one all day excursion you could take to another island to see a little history but it was all day and pricey.
The resort had a “discovery” (excursions) office, gift shop, dive shop – but would often be closed when you want to go to them – you need to pay attention to the hours window.
I did like that it is adult only and is planned to stay that way.

CLIENTELE
Well I learned something – this is not my type of resort. Many of the patrons were there for the all-inclusive booze. This are the party hard crowd – lots of drinking, smoking, drug-addictive types. I’m all for relaxing but in general I think this place invites a “different” type of crowd. I’m a diver so Im the up at 7am guy – partying was not my reason for going. It seemed like the guests that partied hard were the popular ones with the staff.

SHOWS
Shows were put on by the staff nightly. They were in the neighborhood of Six Flags amusement park type of quality with a heavy French flavor – (ooo haha a man is wearing a dress and look at his big boobs – kind of humor. Also they literally portray gays as the village people with silly limp wrists flying about) The circus people were pretty impressive with aerial acrobatics. There was a rare fashion show for the locals one night in which the Premiere (president) of the country showed up.
Their sound system was loud but everything sounded muffled (lie listening to Charlie Browns teacher) – I couldn’t understand most of what was being said (beside the half that they did in French).

BUGS
The bugs weren’t too bad – there were a few mosquitos, fleas, and I only saw two cockroaches (outside of my room).

It wasn’t all bad – but I will say coming away I felt slighted not sure if I should take some of this poor service personally or what Maybe if I wear a bikini? If it was just me who felt this way – it might be me but I heard from other guests the same sentiments – though one guest pointed out you get what you pay for. I don’t think I did.

Room Tip: Dont go unless youre a heavy boozer - then its more economical.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Michael B
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I had a great arrival team & it was great to meet another awesome GO crew. Firstly, Deisel at the airport was super cool & I trust he enjoyed his "Baconator". Brooke was very friendly in my village orientation and pointing out the village main points "SHARKIES" being an important one for me. I then met Christian who was super friendly & very helpful and I do appreciate that. The bar staff in General were fantastic & I must give particular credit to Travis who was always happy & very efficient... Mike Clarke arrived back from his holiday and it was great to catch up again & he was superb in the way I was looked after, in a way I have never been looked after b4 in a Clubbers... I really appreciate this. Mikey, one of the Chefs, what a character, I miss his company & fun... He was awesome.. Thanks mate :) Shaun & Yoko, it was so great to see those guys again since Cherating in 2012 & I appreciate their company during my stay. Ansley, also great to see him again since Phuket in 2011, even though I screwed up by not remembering but you remembered me & you also were fantastic.. Ara... You clown... I love ya buddy, so much fun & great to see you again since Bintan earlier in the year!! In general.... Fun fun fun & even though the village is a little run down, I loved it & I extended because I was having so much fun.. The village was not busy & the food options were not what I'm used to but the quality was very good. Jason, in the excursion centre was very cool & we had some great moments. To all the reception GOS, thanks for being so helpful, Serena, Keiren & crew, thanks!! To all other GO's not mentioned, thanks for a memorable stay... Without all you guys Club Med is not what it is, it would just be another hotel. Perth, OZ is a very long way from Turks but I did make a promise & I'm so glad I backed that up & went there. It's definitely worth the visit.. Hopefully I'll be back one day but there are more villages to explore!! Until the next village & thank you again all at Turks!! :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JasonNewlly
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I recently had a great vacation at turkoise. The friendly and inviting atmosphere at the resort is like nothing I've experienced on a resort vacation before.
It's the perfect location if you are traveling solo.
It all starts with the chief of the village, Mike. He was the first person to greet me upon arriving and the last to wish me farewell. The amazing GO staff that provides the service and entertainment. Bryce, who introduced me to my new favorite drink. Travis and Mikey who will take great care to keep you well fed and with plenty of drinks at sharkey's.
There is no question that I will be back very soon, and join the ranks of so many other guests there that have made this resort their vacation destination of choice.
In short, the facilities are clean and comfortable, the food is good, the drinks are plentiful...but it's the welcoming atmosphere, amazing beach, and unequaled care and fun provided that will keep me coming back

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank TBR16
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

i have to start off by saying my wife and daughter were at club med in florida and loved it, so we were looking for an all inclusive and thought ok club me in turks and caicos, smdh!!!
the intro to the resort is not warming, no tropical drinks, no cool towels, no snacks, awful welcome,
the rooms were the worst ive ever seen, very small and very dirty, i was speechless, i couldnt believe i was at a beautiful beach and a horrible hotel, horrible!!!! the bed was hard the bathrooms were absolutely filthy, missing tile, mold on the ceiling, dirty vents, the toilet was separated, it was small and claustrophobic, basically you had to do your business with the door opened, ughhhh, there were no balconies, ughhhh, get this the tv's were so small maybe a 13" screen, you definitely couldnt watch a program from where the bed was because it was too far, thats just some cheap bullcrap, club med needs to close that horror down for 6 months and take all the entertainment people which are a lot and have them help the few staff they have cleaning the place, its despicable, really, thank god i brought my laptop because i would not have had any….. oh forget about that speaking of my laptop i paid $50 for wifi, but i could only use it near the pool, unreal…. i could barely see my screen in the daytime and the wifi barely worked, i immediately ask if i could pay a couple of hundred dollars to upgrade to a bigger room get this they said all the rooms are the same size, hahahahahahahhahahahah this is the twighlight zone, the lady said what do you expect this is the very first club med resort, huh????? i wanted to cry on the spot, i wished i could have gone home, the accommodations were horrid, the food was ok, nothing special at all, they definitely need more staff and less entertainment staff, there were so many of them and less of the porters and bar people to come and offer another drink or to take the glass i finished 2 hours ago, back to the rooms there were the worst ive ever seen, if i could imagine….they would be considered the projects, or a very bad housing development, im sorry but this is the truth. my house is cleaner then this huge resort, i dont know where the profits go??? i had roughly 50 people on facebook wishing me well on my trip and wondered where i stayed, im embarrassed to say but i did inbox them and told the truth, never again will i go to this dirty hotel room with the little tv and broken radio, oh yeah they only gave you one wash cloth and every day i had to call the front desk to ask for a washcloth, what the hell???? i couldnt wait to get back home to the cold weather, that resort offered nothing that i would come back for. i have so much more to say but my darn fingers are hurting maybe tomorrow i'll pick up where i left off, thank you and good night!!!

Room Tip: just dont book there is your best bet!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank pee d
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

About Me: I travel to the Caribbean often, always opting to stay at an All Inclusive resort; primarily for the value, drinks, and array of onsite dining options (French, Italian, Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse, Coffee Bar, etc.)

Club Med: Turquoise

Food: The quality of food selections, preparation and presentation were horrendous! When the main dining room opened for lunch service at 12:15 p.m. each day, it looked like the food had been sitting for hours. This was particularly surprising because they closed the dining room at 10:15 a.m. to set up for lunch, but it appeared as if the meals had been prepared days prior. Pasta looked old and limp, sauces and presentation weren't at all appetizing. The fish was always over cooked and salty. Salad bar featured only Iceberg lettuce. Again, food was horrendous!

Restaurant Service: The local (older) ladies that waitressed were pleasant enough, but they always seemed to be moving in slow motion. While they would dust crumbs off of the tables before seating you, they never seemed to actually clean the tables. As a result, there were always flies buzzing around.

Accommodations: The room was tiny and old. It did not have any seating area (couch, etc.) which is typical in any resort I've ever stayed in. The TV was smaller than my laptop (I'm going to assume it was 13 inches). The bathroom was antiquated and definitely had mold growing. And get this…we actually had a room key. You heard me. A metal key; not a key card. The lock was similar to what you'd have on your bathroom door.

Grounds: Were well maintained, and spacious, but main activity area was antiquated.

Bar: Staff was just okay. They didn't create a fun atmosphere, and they served you like they were handing out programs at a funeral.

Flies: While I understand they're part of nature, I was extremely surprised that the resort did nothing to curb them. No zapping lights or anything. I attribute the abundance of flies, at least in part, to the lack of cleanliness.

Activities Staff: Totally absent during the day, unless you were taking an official class like power walking or Aqua-gym. They didn't engage with the guests. But they were a ton of fun at night, and their shows were great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple