“Amazing beach, great choice of activities, fair food, decent accomodation, GOs hit or miss”

Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
New Paltz, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Title says it all. The beach is the best about the property along with all the options for taking lessons. There really is something for everyone. Yoga, Zumba, fitness classes, tennis, trampoline, trapeze, windsurfing, sailing, snorkeling. I loved all the activities.

Having said that there are some drawbacks to the AI and it is naturally the food and the accommodation. As for the food I was always able to find at least one thing that I really liked at the buffet, mostly it was the cook to order station with Anne, who was extremely friendly. It is very easy to overeat - I must have gained 10 lbs.

We were in building D behind Sharkies, which turned out to be great. We did not hear any of the music. The rooms are ok, nothing to write home about. Upon closer inspection you will find mold (on the ceiling and/or the lamp shades or curtains/ shower.. etc)

The GOs are very hit or miss. Many try and are friendly Richard and Kory come to mind here for me, but there are some that are either snooty or rude or not interested in teaching you anything (Alex and Derf/Thor to some extent). To me it seemed that the GOs were interested in partying/talking only with each other. I noticed this a couple of times at night and also in the evenings at Sharkies. I didn't care about that since I was there with my wife, but others might have been bothered by that.

The reception is a mess, so you better not have a problem. Not very friendly (esp. Laura who does not know how to smile and the GF of the chef de village-struts around like she owns the place) The friendliest receptionist were not from the US and or Canada.

Mike the Chef de Village is a good entertainer and has a great memory for guest, but is not really a manager of a hotel. He seems like a kid trying to keep the other kids in line. Energy-wise I hear that the staff does not just like the powder from the beach.

The shows were ok, the acrobatic ones being the best. Be prepared for either some stereotypes that might make you feel uncomfortable like jokes about people's origins and about gays. Def not something that my wife and I appreciated. Most of the guests laughed though (shows you what type of clientele you'll run into there)

If you go there as a couple, spend all your time doing activities you like, go to the beach and go to bed early as you want to. As a single male in your twenties or maybe early thirties you are probably getting laid here. If you are in your forties or older and are a single male: Good luck trying!

The scuba diving is well worth it, but not part of the Club Med package. See my separate review on that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marc K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,154)
Swampscott, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Firstly it's allinclusive! The best beach, ocean, sunsets, tons of activities, excellent entertainment - it's all there. The team is amazing, friendly, helpful, energizing. Good food, clean rooms, nice service. yoga, Zumba, aqua gym, boating, paddle boarding, sailing, kayaking, snorkeling - free, do what you like or do nothing, it's up to you.
The only problem- no TV, just one channel, but you don't need it when you are outside. And wifi is not free - $5 per hour. Country music live every evening at Sharkies bar, evening shows at the theater, the team of young staff members participate in all shows, then you can spend the night at the bar dancing. The staff created a special atmosphere there, you felt at home. We had really good time there.

Room Tip: We lived close to the Sharkies bar, but no noise bothered us, the walls are thick. I assume the room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Olga K
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our large group of friends just returned home from Club Med in Turks and Caicos. None of us had been so we really didn't know what to expect. We had a great time but the resort was run down and in need of some updates to the rooms (AC / hot water don't work the best) and to the entertainment area. Each evening, the staff would put on a great show. My only complaint was that it started so late. I think a good time comparable to other resorts would be for the shows to start at 8:30pm. After the show, they would cram everyone in to the one bar in the lobby/pool area. This was miserably hot with way too many people under the roof. I still can't figure out why they did not use all the open-air space right outside this area because the weather was perfect every night. Between the heat, the amount of people crammed in like sardines and the very slow bar service, it made you prefer to go back to your room or to some other part of the resort to seek a breeze. The pool was a perfect temperature but it could really use a swim-up bar to give it more of a resort-like feel. You could not see the ocean when laying in the pool chairs nor was there a bar to swim to so it really felt like a neighborhood pool (but with no kids which was a good thing). The resort only had one bar open at any given time on the premises and the service was extremely slow since there would only be 2-3 bartenders working the resort bar. The good things to report were that the staff were all very friendly and excited about their jobs. The beach was absolutely gorgeous and not crowded at all. The food was fine with a variety to choose from. Since there are only 2 all-inclusive resorts there and the other one is filled with tons of kids, we would probably go back to this one.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank DivingTriP
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband, our 19 year old daughter, and I had a fun filled 10 day trip here and are missing it terribly!!! You see this is not just an all inclusive experience, you come home with new friends and wonderful memories. From our first moment on the property, we were in such good hands. The staff... All of the GOs were so kind and energetic. Kearn at reception was so pleasant and helpful after our long journey there... The resort is rustic yes, but well appointed and clean. The Chief of the village , Mike, was so involved in every aspect of the club.He was in the shows at night, and was constantly pitching in where ever it was needed.Teddy was his right hand man and was always grinning.Tonio with land sports helped with trapeze and just about everything else,,took us to our rooms, and remembered our names throughout our stay.... Impressive.... Gel, with land sports was always ready to play pool, ping pong, Baci ball or dance, while he wasn't announcing or doing a million other things. So many people work so hard to make sure everyone is having a good time!I loved the Zumba with Richard!!!! The circus shows and GOs were great, Patric, Maryfer and Kori, worked hard at the trapeze and their shows. The bar team did an outstanding job.... Manu,the magician, Megan, Ben,Shane,and the rest of the bar staff, worked nonstop to serve all of us with a smile on their faces at all times...The water sports included sailing, paddle boarding , canoeing, snorkeling and diving too.... Those guys worked hard too and had fun nicknames... Thor, Derf , Nemo....the lights and sound technitions were ever present, behind the scenes working all the time...Then there was Ara, he was head of entertainment...what a great job he did entertaining us all!!! The botique had the clothing outside for the next day's theme... They had plenty of nice tee shirts and things to buy for souvineers ... Also another trinket store is by the front desk, and next to the dives shak outside of the club, there is another place to buy island souvineers, tees, coverups etc.The weather was beautiful, the water turquoise in color, lots of things to do all day and night long...We loved going to Sharkeys for an afternoon snack or late night French fries, and enjoyed the disco....the guests we met all had a great time,the food was ample , night time had the most variety, this being an island where everything was imported, had fewer tropical fruits than say Punta Cana, however there was plenty of good food to eat... We didn't know what to expect , as an 18 and over club, but we loved it! It felt very safe, it was a great adventure!!!! We will be back!

Room Tip: We liked being right by Sharkeys, the D building... We has 2015 and 2016 on the ground floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Bayclub
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I am currently spending my last night here. The beach is beautiful the staff is amazing food was outstanding but the resort in a whole could use some major updating and sprucing up. The bath towels are like sand paper I had tiles falling off in the shower, the shower water goes from scolding hot to freezing cold twenty times while in there. And the air conditioning needs to be replaced the room was only comfortable when you first walk in. New bed pillows sheets and blankets are very scratchy.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Nikki C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2014

After having spent my previous vacation at Club Med in Cancun I was looking forward to a similar level of entertainment and service in Turcs. Here are the pluses and minuses.

Pluses:

1) Outstanding beach.
2) Breathtaking snorkelling on a coral reef.
3) Over the top booze-fueled parties.
4) Incredibly low prices. Next door at another resort the base price is $900 a night.

Minuses:

1) Poor menu. Some attempt to serve up Carib food but very low quality of ingredients. Breakfasts similar to what I remember in summer camp. The exclusive restaurants were of course better, but not by much. Beer from the self-serve tap was good. But the rest was highly substandard for Club Med.
2) Bored staff. Some were fine. But the bartenders balked if you asked them for a mixed drink or a coffee. They simply wanted to serve straight hard booze, beer, or wine. They did a really nice job of making you feel as if you were an imposition. Forget about ordering mojitos or anything that complex. They try but not very hard.
3) No service on the beach. Other Club Meds I know have beach boys running to serve you. Not here. At least there are disposal trays where you can leave your self-served empties as you leave the beach.
4) Primitive living facilities. I understand that Club Med does not want you spending all your time lounging in a luxury suite but rather participating in the Club Med experience. But that does not mean you have to sleep on thin mattresses extended over a plywood base.

I hate giving a negative review. I know lots of people I spoke to love this place and kept coming back. Mainly because of the huge amounts of casual sex going on. I suppose I have just inadvertently attracted a hundred new recruits to this place. But if you have your zipper under control, you will be disappointed by a truly substandard Club Med. No local cultural activities, no live music brought in. Like a high-school disco with adult, hardcore partyists of all ages.

Perhaps it does not help my credibility that I awoke one morning naked, except for my left shoe, with no evidence of my clothes, my room door completely open, and my passport which someone had found near a beachside tent. I have no recall of what happened. My wife, who could not be roused for several hours also does not know where I disappeared and a few scratch marks on my back have led to some questioning. But I believe otherwise my statements are objective. The Australian who runs the place tried to put a good face on things when he saw us off at the end, but I think he was fighting in a desperate cause. This place seems to me like the Chinese who own Club Med are just waiting to sell it to developers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Billsmith1001
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just returned form this Club Med resort, it's a great place. The best thing is the enthusiasm and friendliness of the staff, the guest is always right. All meals and drinks are included as are many activities, sailing, scuba' snorkeling etc. The staff present a show every night, some of which are really exceptional quality, especially the circus show on Fridays. This is not a super modern resort, sometimes described as "well worn" but this only adds to its charm!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family