“They deliver what they advertise”

Ports of Call Resort
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Ottawa, Canada
“They deliver what they advertise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

They advertise affordable rates, on an island where everything is overpriced. And they delivered it.
Room are not very big and furnishing/decoration is somewhat minimalist. But everything is clean and in excellent condition. The staff is professional and helpful. I especially enjoyed the friendly, warm and obliging service of Daniel, at the bar, and the quick, efficient professional help of Charlene, at the front desk. I will not name all the people here, suffice it to say that everyone was doing a good job. The prices we got were very reasonable. They also provided us with discount coupons, redeemable at nearby restaurants and commerces, or at the hotel's bar.

We were very satisfied with our stay. Obviously, much more luxurious hotels are available on the island, if you don't mind paying for one night up to as much as what we paid for a week...

Room Tip: Some rooms have double beds. I would have been uncomfortable. At reservation time, they provided...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank d l
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
On behalf of all the staff and myself I would like to thank you for your great review. I am extremely proud of how we have transformed the hotel and plaza into a resort that I believe delivers 4 Star service and amenities at 3 Star pricing. I think we have great staff and know that they really appreciate it when a guest like yourself mentions them by name in a review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

After an unfriendly receptionist's 'greeting' as we arrived before the check in time, everything improved and most staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were bright and clean, if rather basic but you get what you pay for on an expensive island. Breakfast was a self service facility with a good choice of continental provision. The pool was largely used for scuba diving lessons but was fine with a nice hot tub. The beach was a short walk and Grace Bay is magnificent. The downside was a charge of 8 dollars a day for beach umbrellas - over a season this will be amazingly profitable and reflected an underlying tone for the resort. They also had very high 'late room' charges as another example.

However if you want a bar, music, pool, nearby shops and dive centres at a lower price than the more exclusive resorts then try this resort for a few days... and bring your own sun umbrella.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank npgsheffield
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for the favorable review and for travelling so far to stay with us.
My apologies for you not feeling initially welcome but thankful that you felt you were well treated by the other staff and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
As you stated the beach chaise lounges are provided free..we charge the $8./day fee for the umbrellas to partially cover the cost of staffing the beach and running the beach shuttle service ..both services that we added just two years ago.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

It was a beautiful hotel and very close to everything. The hotel was very well decorated with lots of charm and character. Everyone was friendly and hard working. The free breakfast and wifi were a nice perk. The hotel had everything I needed. While it is not on the beach, it makes up for it with everything else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank vcmorson
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for the great review. Just returned to North America myself and I am missing the island already. Fortunately I am heading back in a few weeks. Hope you can return soon as well.
Niagara
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I agree with much of what has been said over time about this resort. Certainly bang for your buck. Accommodations were what we expected given past reviews and yes the breakfast was a welcomed treat every morning, sparing us the need to open our wallets yet again. We met the owner, Dale Papke for some idle chat on several occasions and I must say he comes across as quiet genuine and interested in his guests- nice touch! At this point what would draw us back to Turks is the beach, which is certainly the best we have experienced. Ports of Call makes this possible for those of us who desire solid accommodations, yet concerned about our budget. Thanks Ports of Call...no need to look elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank niagarasunseeker
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for the positive comments on both the resort and myself. We could not have chosen a better investment and pinch ourselves every day about how lucky we are to be able to travel here every few weeks to check on the operation, meet and socialize with guests like yourself and enjoy the incredible beaches, water, dining and friendly TCI locals.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

all rooms have been completely remodel since last stay in 2012. Fantastic value for the family. The breakfast each morning poolside is great way to begin each day. Easy access to the beach and lots of restaurants and IGA right next across the street.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Loy W
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
On behalf of the team here at Ports of Call we thank you for taking the time to submit such a favorable review. So happy you had a good time staying here and hope that you can visit us again sometime in the future.
Bronxville, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Ports of Call for 6 nights in March 2014, and about half way through our stay both jokingly took to referring to Ports of Call as "the weirdest hotel in Turks and Caicos", a sentiment which I still stand by, and which I intend to be neither a negative nor a positive statement about the establishment.

I agree with most of the other reviews here - Ports of Call is a no frills type of hotel for those who don't need to be pampered and really are just looking for a place to crash without any lavish extravagances. This is literally the only hotel on the island that I could stomach paying for, so if it weren't for Ports of Call, I would not have made it TCI. My budget for flight and hotel for 6 days for 2 people flying from NYC was ~$3,000, and Ports of Call was really the only place that fit the bill. That said, $3k is still a good amount of money for me, so in retrospect, I can't help but feel like I could've done something better.

The negatives of the hotel include ants in the room, not enough hot water to last a full shower, the smell of the burning of illicit substances being smoked by our courteous neighbors, an air conditioner that barely made the cut in ~80 degree weather, and a musty smelling room.

Positives include a friendly, helpful staff, a decent hot tub, very convenient location to grocery store, other shopping, restaurants, and the beach (no need to rent a car), and a solid continental breakfast, which included eggs, croissants, cereal, coffee, milk, juice, toast, yogurt, etc.

The reason I affectionately refer to Ports of Call as "the weirdest hotel in Turks and Caicos" is mostly due to the mixed bag of guests that my girlfriend and I were somewhat entertained by during our stay. I think this is mostly due to the fact that Ports of Calls' relative affordability versus other resorts on the island make it appealing to a broad swath of different demographics, and the hotel is small enough that you almost get to know some of the other guests by virtue of being in such close quarters for a few days. For example, during our 6 day stay, we shared the hotel with a fraternity on spring break, a middle-aged alternative lifestyle couple (clearly consisting of 2 women and 1 man), a very politically outspoken elderly woman from Boston who was not afraid to strike up conversations with strangers, a family who was very focused on tanning in shall we say more traditionally European-style swimwear, a 'goth' couple, families with small children, families with older children, couples ranging from 20s to 70s (Wednesday is Bingo night!), etc. Again, this may all be negative or positive depending on what you're looking for.

At the end of the day, if you're dead set on vacationing in TCI and want to maintain a somewhat reasonable budget, Ports of Call is probably your best (and maybe only) option. That said, if you really want to do a beach vacation on a budget, my view in retrospect is that you might want to skip Turks and Caicos altogether. My $3,000 would have gone a lot further on other islands in the Caribbean, and while TCI has the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen by a healthy margin, I think I'll probably refrain from returning until I can spend the dough without whining about it quite so much.

Room Tip: Rooms with an outdoor terrace (for and extra ~$50 / day) were worth it in my opinion.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Matt V
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thanks for the "unique" review and thank you for choosing to stay with us. I found your review very entertaining and took it in a positive light. The week you were here was a little busier than most as we did have a rugby team staying with us. Our guests types and demographics are in fact diverse, probably due to the fact that our prices are so affordable. While there are very few budget travellers to Providenciales we certainly do attract those who appreciate saving hundreds of dollars a night in exchange for having to take our one minute shuttle to the beach as well as those who appreciate the friendly relaxed clean atmosphere we provide with all the amenities of much pricier resorts. Hope we weill have the honor of having you stay with us again.
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Our second trip to Provo and staying at Ports of Call. Check in and check out smooth, no issues, friendly staff. A 5 minute walk to the beach, beach loungers available, umbrellas for $8 per day. Breakfast included- yogurt, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee, cereal, toast, pastries, coffee, tea. Small fridge in rooms. Pool area a quiet and relaxing retreat- nice landscaping with palm trees all around. Rooms generous sized, nothing fancy, but clean, ditto for the bathrooms. The great benefits are the price- best you can find for Provo, and the location- walk to everywhere you want to go- beach, shops, restaurants, supermarket (Graceway Gourmet). Don't need to rent a car unless you want to see the rest of the island. Other guests during our stay included the GW rugby team, families with children, younger, middle aged and older couples. All seem to share the same value proposition- why pay tons of $ for your room when you all you do is sleep there and spend your entire day outside the room? If you need a concierge and pampering, don't stay here. But if you are independent minded and economical, it can't be beat. Bar by the pool, Tuesday evening Manager's cocktail party (free rum punch), Wednesday bingo, sitting by the bar in the evening as the owner plays his guitar and sings- works for us.

Room Tip: Consider asking for pool facing rooms with a balcony patio.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ToYourHealth
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you so much for the great review....it really sums up what we are all about here. Hope you having to sit and listen to my guitar playing and singing didn't dampen your trip.