“Excellent service and great value!”

Ports of Call Resort
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
San Francisco, California
“Excellent service and great value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We had a great time staying 8 nights there, customer service is excellent overall, including the guy working at the bar! Room rate is very reasonable and location is great, central to everything! Nice IGA supermarket with a big deli section is all we need if we miss eating something from home. Breakfast is quite nice with pastries/cereal/coffee/water; washer/dryer, microwaves and toasters are there for guests to use too throughout the day. One tip on rooms: do not stay on the first floor, the humidity makes the room and bedding really damp and the room is quite dark. Since it's low season now, we were able to switch to a third floor room facing the pool with the help of the front desk staff Evelyn! Really appreciated her kindness and professionalism throughout our stay!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AL328
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a favourable review. You are right that the higher summer humidity can affect some rooms. Fortunately Turks and caicos does not get the extreme high humidty like Florida and some of the other Caribbean islands.The issue witrh humidity affecting our rooms can be controlled by our staff ensuring that a room never goes without AC more than a day or two. Hope we will have the opportunity of having you stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a week in early May. We booked directly thru the resort and were very happy with the off season special (7 night for the price of 5). We arrived early and were upgraded to a room that was ready and included wi-fi. It was great! Clean, everything worked and quiet. It is in a great location to walk to beach, stores and other resort restaurants . It is a basic resort with all we needed. Can't wait to go back! Food is pricey on the island and having a breakfast with decent coffee was a plus! Bought souvenirs, rented a car, booked a day trip and had drinks at the Dive bar all at the Ports of call. Groceries across the street. It's all there! If you can't afford the $300-1000 per night at the beach resorts try this place. We were not disappointed!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mumma1313
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
On behalf of all the team at Ports of Call I would like to thank you for your great review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will have the opportunity to visit with us again.
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I have been coming to the Turks and Caicos for 14 years and always stayed at the ports of calls ( previously known as the comfort suites) . This is my first time under the new name. The hotel , the breakfast , the amenities are great. The hotel claimed to have gone through extensive upgrades but beside the bed head boards , the lobby, the new pool furnitures and re-painting the existing furnitures , it is all the same .... I used to pay $99.00-129,00 under comfort suites which was a great deal . The ports of calls has increased it's price and now paying $179.00 + tax + service charge+$8.00 per day electricity fees, it might not be the best deal in town anymore. It seems like the staff are unhappy . When we checked in at the reception she was just business and did not smile once . She explained all the rules and amenities like a robot. We asked if we could leave our luggage at the reception as we were early and she reminded us immediately that check in time was 4 pm but would let us use one of the two rooms that we had rented to store our stuff. On the day of our departure our flight was late so, I asked for an extra hour , and the front desk clerk told me , no sorry.. Check out is 11:00 am . Very disappointing experience this time. I will check for other properties next time. I stayed at the Caribbean paradise inn before and I have to say it was quite a different experience. Too bad I did like this place but I don't come on holidays to see unfriendly faces.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank David A
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and I will definately make an effort to contact you for more specific details as other than the rate increases and the fact that we could not accomodate your late check-out ,you do not really state any reasons for your displeasure.
I am assuming that your last stay with us was over 3 years ago as that is when we changed the name and invested over 3.5 million in all new bathrooms, new room furnishings, total lobby, bar breakfast area and hallway refurbishing, added a hot tub, fitness room, pool and ping pong tables, beach shuttle service and hired a beach attendent. Yes our prices have been increased but the hotel was losing money and about to close when we purchased the old Comfort Suites and converted it t the present Ports of Call. I agree that the other hotel that you mention is very nice but is not in as central of a location as ours, does not have a beach attendent, free breakfast or the convenience of having bars, restaurants, shops, spa, dive shop, ice cream shop, games and a car rental company on the property. I think when you really compare everything "apples to apples" you will agree that we do offer exceptional value.
New Hyde Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I just returned from a 7 night stay at Ports of Call with my two sons. Upon arrival we were welcomed with a complimentary rum punch. Our room was ready at check-in. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet, and the air conditioning worked great! The desk staff was very helpful answering our numerous questions about where to eat, how to get there and whether or not it was in walking distance or if we needed a cab. Two of the desk staff in particular were very helpful, Letivia and Samuel. The bartender, Watson, also has plenty of useful information and makes the best rum punches on the island! They made us feel at home and made our trip very enjoyable.

The hotel rates are very affordable. A complimentary breakfast is included. I booked this hotel on Expedia, and there were no surprises on my bill at checkout. The full hotel rate and all taxes were included on my Expedia invoice. Ports of Call is in a great location. It is central to everything on Grace Bay. It is a 3 minute walk to the beach. Restaurants and supermarket nearby.

Room Tip: I had a room on the first floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you so much for submitting such a great review...it is truly appreciated. Every now and then we slip up but overall we believe that we provide Four Star service and quality at Three Star Pricing and reviews like yours assure us that we are on the right track. Thank you again.
Turks and Caicos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I regularly stay at the Ports of Call when visiting Provo both for business and leisure. I've never had a bad experience here and thoroughly recommend this place. The rooms are clean, we always get a good nights sleep, the staff are always friendly and helpful and go the extra mile, the facilities are great, excellent location and it's really good value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sansaba24
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
We truly appreciate all the regular guests like yourself that return to our resort each and every year. Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I had reserved a King size bed and when I go to my room it was a 2 bed room. I go back to the lobby and they said that there were not comments on my reservation but my reservation said a king bed. They also said i was upgraded to the 2 bed room which i did not understand since i was traveling alone. They move me to another room and this room the Air conditioner did not go lower than 70 degrees. So I called again to the lobby and they say that it set that. If I am paying to full price to stay there why should they determine how cold my room should get, especially since they charge an electricity surcharge. They gave me another room that smelled since only 30% of the hotel is occupied this room have not been freshened up at all. Since it was 9 pm there is no maid service to clean the room and no maintenance to fix the thermostat of the on the room.

The person in the lobby said she would talk to the manager and hey will contact me next day. I never was contacted by anyone from the hotel and for them is like nothing happened. I never called to see how they will respond to this situation but the management failed miserably.

Also they charge you a Resort Fee and really don't know why since they only have a small pool and nothing else in the hotel. I guess thay do not know the proper definition of a resort and all the thing that come along with that(Amenities and services) to justify this extra charge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Carlos T
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
While I have not had the opportunity to fully investigate your claims with the staff I would like to offer my apologies for what appears to be some poor service on our part.
There are times when a room is booked through a third party that we are not informed of the room type that the customer requested and in busy times it is sometimes impossible to arrange another room. From your comments it appears that we were able to accomodate a room change so given the wrong information on the reservation I believe that we did everything that we could do. Due to the extremely high cost of energy on the island we do ave the AC's set so that guests can only adjust them between the temperatures of 70 and 76 which is an accepted industry standard.
The service charge is an island standard, regardless of the facilities and your comment about us only having a small pool is a little misleading considering we do have a hot tub, games area, fitness room, childs playground, beach shuttle and supervised beach area.
That said I am not happy to hear that no one from our management team contacted you the next day and offered any explanations or remedies and I will be addressing this with them. I will attempt to contact you personally next week and I thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have really mixed feelings about this resort.

We arrived late at night (in April) and there was a party going on in one of the rooms. We were immediately stressed as we had 3 children with us. We went to the fridge for water but it was empty, then I went down to reception and they told me there was no water! Apparently the machine doesn't work so I was advised to go over to the bar opposite - not ideal. We were so hot and tired after a flight from London. Then the party continued and security had to keep coming up to ask them to quiet down - which as one previous reviewer mentioned - didn't work.

Then in the morning we woke up and the experience was completely different. Very relaxed, yes the breakfast was basic but it was very charming. The pool and small play area were very nice and clean too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ExcursionHero
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
I am sorry that you were initially disappointed with our resort but happy to hear that when you woke up in the morning you were overall impressed. As a value -priced hotel we do not provide free water in the rooms however we do have ice machines in the halls and the tap water in the resort is of excellent quality and safe to drink. As you are aware we do have a vending machine that was apparently broken or out of supplies the night you arrived and as stated there is 3 bars and restaurants in our Ports of Call plaza located within steps of our lobby. Too bad that you arrived late as we do serve complimentary rum punches and fruit cocktails to guests arriving during the day and early evening. Hope you enjoyed your stay in Provo and will have a chance to visit with us again.