“We love Ports of Call!”

Ports of Call Resort
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Ports of Call in June 2014 and had a great time!

I would recommend Ports of Call for the location, price, and friendly staff. First, the hotel is close to shops, bars, restaurants, and most importantly, the BEACH. There's a free shuttle, but seriously, it's like a five minute walk. Second, I think the amenities were great for the price - breakfast was always delicious and a nice perk considering how expensive food on the island can be - and the room was comfortable and quite large. We opted for a less expensive room, away from the pool, to save a few bucks since we planned to rarely be in the room anyway, and it worked out just fine.

A separate word about the staff - it can sometimes be a concern to travel as a gay couple in the Caribbean, but everyone was absolutely wonderful, polite, and treated us just as any couple. Thank you!

We would especially like to mention Tristan, who was incredibly friendly and provided us with everything we needed to enjoy the beach. He made us feel very welcome and we enjoyed our conversations with him - he gave great recommendations on how we could enjoy our time in TCI.

I only noticed one downside - the pool and hot tub could have been a lot cleaner. There were always insects, leaves, etc in the pool and hot tub, because from what I saw, it wasn't vacuumed or skimmed in the mornings. Perhaps this was because we traveled in off season and maybe there's a staff shortage.

Overall though, we loved Ports of Call and look forward to returning one day. Highly recommended!!!

1  Thank R G
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

On behalf of myself, Tristen and all the staff of Ports of Call I would like to thank you for your kind comments. We are so happy that you loved our resort and the island and we hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future. My apologies re the pool not being perfect.
I am not sure why it was not to our usual high standards as I am presently not on the island however I do know that the gentleman who regularily cleans the pool was away that week and perhaps his substitute did not clean it quite as well.

There are newer reviews for Ports of Call Resort

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here on second week of June. Very nice place, good location, close to lots of amenities. It was what we expected and even more. You can enjoy all activities on the island same as tourists staying at the most expensive resorts. The difference is that you don't need to brake your budget to enjoy a great vacation on Grace Bay. Breakfast was more than enough to give you that start of the day. Room was clean, got fresh towels daily, AC was working good, a bit noisy but we didn't had to use it over night, an open window was enough to get fresh air. We got the basic room, not completely renovated but was good enough to get a good sleep and a shower. I think nobody is willing to spend a lot of time in the room on such a great place. Overall a great place to stay in this little paradise.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raduk7

Thank you so much for the great review....it is truly appreciated. From your comments I believe that you stayed in one of our 29 Standard rooms so you will be happy to hear that new quieter Air Conditioners for these rooms have just been ordered.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just completed our fourth stay at Ports of Call. It is a hidden gem. You cannot beat the location or price. Staff is wonderful, especially Watson at the bar, who comes out to greet guests personally. The rooms are clean and have all the necessities for a beach vacation. There are a number of great restaurants and shops within walking distance, including the supermarket. The courtyard is very inviting, and a relaxing place to hang out after a day of diving. Staff is very knowledgeable and provides excellent recommendations for dining and activities. We will definitely stay at Ports again.

1  Thank kekoines

Thank you so much for the great review and for continually staying with us. I know that Watson will appreciate your kind words.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This review is based on the Ports of Call's own assignation as a "Resort". Firstly I would like to say that it offers a great price in comparison with many larger hotels, and that it really is centrally located between restaurants, shopping, and the beach. We had a great time because the room was basically a drop point at the end of each day.
However.
They claim that the rooms were renovated. I stayed here twice 7 years ago, and I can say confidently that the biggest change is the addition of a hot tub in the courtyard, and different showers in the bathrooms. The cabinetry in the bathroom was repainted. Sloppily. Old furniture in the rooms was repainted. New lamps and sink fixtures were installed, but some important things- like the MATTRESSES- were not replaced. I had a cheap mattress at home that was in better shape at 15 years old. It was thin, saggy, and worn. If the rooms have all been renovated, that's really sad. If I was given a room that wasn't fully renovated, and some were, I would expect a discount on that room. The sheets were also clean, but stained.
The WiFi was spotty all over the island at times, but at the hotel it was *terrible*. We often left to go have a drink at a neighboring resort just to check email & post pictures to facebook.
The continental breakfast is fine but again, if you're claiming the title of "resort", I would expect a little extra effort. It is, however, a step up from the breakfast offered 7 years ago. One tip though- forks. Forks would be helpful.
It's funny, the review I posted on my prior trips there included a tip to request a room away from the stairs or housekeeping areas... and that's the exact location of the room I was put in. I just made the best of it, but don't be afraid to ask for a different location.
The workout room is small but nice- converted hotel room- probably because it's never used. :)
Everyone at the front desk was helpful and friendly. The bar and entertainment area were nominal, with a fee to play some games and drink prices comparable for the area.
So, it was good for a budget hotel on a tropical island, but it was poor for a Resort on a tropical island... you can't just repaint a Comfort Suites Inn and call it a Resort.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the stairs or housekeeping areas...there's more noise there. Make sure...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LMM2014TCI
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

I am not sure how you decided on a Two Star rating when your review is so positive on our liocation, value and service. It seems like your main concern was your belief that we only did window dressing in our renovations so I would like to address that so that potential future guests who read these reviews are not mislead by your inaccuracies.
First and foremost over 3.5 million was spent on totally renovating the entire resort over the past two years. 69 of our 98 roomsl had totally new bathrooms, plumbing ,tile borders, closets, safes, shutters, entire new furniture, new air conditioners and 32" flat screen TV's installed.
In our 29 least expensive Standard rooms (I believe that is the room type you chose) we did all of the above except replace the furniture which was refurbished. The hallways were totally redone with new lighting and the reception, business center, breakfast and bar area was totally demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. The pool was re-tiled and all new wicker pool furniture was purchased. Besides a hot tub we added a fitness room, a children's playground, a pool table, a ping pong table,beach shuttle service, new beach loungers and beach attenden servicest. We initiated afternoon games, a weekly Managers Cocktail Party and expanded our breakfast offerings. We also made major improvements to our adjacent Shops of Ports of Call which we also own and arranged for our resort guests to receive extra discounts at these shops. We do not portray that we are a high-end all inclusive resort. We do believe and boast that we have a totally refurbished resort in the islands best location that offers everything you need for substantially less than other resorts on the island. I am happy that you once again enjoyed your stay on the island. Hopefully the next time you return, after comparing the rates and inclusions of other resorts on the island we wil have the opportunity to have you as our guest again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I spoke to the Manager and Assistant Manager during my stay. The Manager did listen the Assistant Manager however didn’t seem interested in hearing what I had to say. I even emailed the Owner and did receive a response back.

The women at the front desk were ALWAYS very helpful.

All the above said the same response, “this is a budget Resort”. It is such a turn off to a paying customer hearing that. It’s not a $25.00 a night Resort, I spent well over a thousand dollars for an upgrade and you say its a budget Resort highly offended however what makes the Ports of Call a budget Resort is what you do and do not offer and how the guests are treated. Below you will find my concerns and my experience during my stay.

The beach chairs locked up.
The umbrellas locked up.
Sitting at other Resorts while waiting for a chair and an umbrella is very frustrating not only to me during my vacation but for the other Resort staff telling me that I couldn't sit there, this happened every day.
The hours of the beach attendant.
The attendant was never around. I met a guest that was looking for him for an hour so she can have an umbrella, uncalled for.
I experienced other people using chairs while waiting for their excursion without the attendant telling them they couldn't use the chairs.
Another family was able to sit there using the chairs and weren't guests of Ports of Call without the attendant telling them that they couldn’t.
Charging for an umbrella is ridiculous. If we don’t use the umbrella for the day and someone just comes after we leave do you make another $8.00 or does someone get to use the umbrella for free, my guess is both.
You say you offer breakfast. It’s a huge turn off when there is a sign posted 1 yogurt per guest and 1 egg per guest. I shouldn’t have to beg for an egg or a yogurt. BUDGET NO, LOW CLASS YES!
Cocktail party on Tuesday night, not so much a cocktail party. I would re-word that to a 1 drink minimum party. A cocktail party for an hour is as much as you can drink not get a 1 ticket which means 1 drink. BUDGET NO, LOW CLASS YES!
The bartender gave us wings, we declined them since we do not eat chicken. I noticed chips and salsa off to the side and I waited for them to be put out and figured that they weren't going to so I asked for some. I was lucky enough to get about 5 chips and a drop of salsa. Right in front of me he placed the chips back in the bag and took the chips and dips and put them in a locked closet. BUDGET NO, LOW CLASS YES!
Bingo was on Wednesday we wanted to play. He played 5 rounds since all children won while adults were sitting there waiting for a drink. He should have caught on and said ok kids now it’s the adults turn but no.
The water in the kitchen was never filled more than once a day. Once it runs out, oh well. So my boyfriend continued to pay $3.00 for a bottled water. Ridiculous! BUDGET NO, LOW CLASS YES!
A balloon was placed on Wednesday in our room for my boyfriend’s birthday, which was very nice. It popped during the night. The balloon was still on the floor when we checked out on Saturday morning.
I left a very torn and soiled towel for the Manager to show her what housekeeping left, it was gross.
I used a plastic bag for ice on Thursday. Saturday a bag still wasn't replaced.
I was told on Friday the day before checking out that the beach attendant offers water on the beach. Never was this offered to me nor did I know about it. So I used the other Resorts on the beach to purchase drinks and paid a service fee.
I also wasn’t aware of pool side bar service since I checked in on Saturday and noticed the bar attendant come around Thursday to offer drinks. This did not happen any time before Thursday and I went to the pool every day in the afternoon.
Another guest mentioned it was my boyfriend’s birthday on Wednesday to the bar attendant and wanted to get my boyfriend a drink, well he never received it. The guest complained to the Manager. They claim they didn’t know who my boyfriend was and had to get approval, a big fat lie. On Friday we got a drink however; I am not sure if it was an apology drink or his birthday drink. All I know is the other guest was annoyed and refused to purchase drinks at Ports of Call and went to Jimmy’s Dive bar. She was even overlooked at the pool when the bar attendant came around.

The bottom line is this; it’s the little things that matter and the little things that add up. Paying for an umbrella, buying drinks because water is not even offered totals up to staying someplace else other then Ports of Call. I plan on returning either in September or February but not staying at Ports of Call. As I said earlier I met a few other guests that were staying at your resort as well and they said the same they wouldn’t return to Ports of Call but for sure returning to Turks. When you cut corners to save money in the end it’s not worth it.

For a Resort that is not located on the beach and can’t offer what beach Resorts offer you would think they would go above and beyond within reason for guests to stay at Ports of Call, it’s a shame they don’t.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Jacqueline P

I won't reply to your review in detail as your review is word for word the same as the letter you sent
that I and my management team have already replied to in detail, addressing each one of your concerns.. As stated in my letter when your room rates are drastically lower than other resorts on the island and also include free breakfast so I believe that you are unrealistic in assuming that we can provide all the "freebies" or service levels of a all inclusive or much higher priced resort. We try to deliver Four Star service and quality at Three Star rates. Sometimes you just can't make certain people happy, Fortunately as you will see from the majority of our reviews, most of our guests are quite satisfied with the value and service we deliver.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at the Ports of Call arriving on June 20th. We were there for a week and really enjoyed everything. Picked this place for the cost, location, and great reviews from fellow TA folks; I'm so glad we did.
We were on the 3rd floor. No elevator but great exercise to work off our meals. Requested a king bed on booking and got it! Was there a view? Not from our room, but I was there only to sleep. The view is steps away from the hotel. The room was large and clean. There was an in room safe at the bottom of the closet. For those who can't get down to the floor, keep that in mind. Dorm size fridge that was great for us to keep snacks and water/juice cold. No freezer but the ice machine on floor 2 was all we needed. Daily service and plenty of clean towels. No problem keeping cool at night. Ceiling fan and a/c unit. Yes, there was noise from the a/c unit but it's like a window unit at home, not central air quiet.
Daily breakfast was the same but it was always fresh and served with the biggest smile I've seen on a worker. I wish i had gotten her name. She deserves a kudos for keeping the food going for so many people.
The front desk staff was ALWAYS cheerful and more than willing to help answer any questions. we we would leave or return for the day, they always acknowledged us and asked how our day was.
As for the bartender that I had read comments about…. well, I might tend to agree that he isn't the most friendly of the bunch. Never did get drinks at the bar, but he was also in charge of towels for the pool and their exchange. Many times he appeared to be texting or not around. More than once we were told just to " put the dirty ones there and get the new ones" oh well, it sure didn't change my mind on the place.
Location is in the Ports of Call shopping area. Not exactly the shopping I had in mind but within 5 minutes walk you could be at the Regent Shopping area with food and shopping choices for everyone. A grocery store is within 3 minute walk for stocking up on water,ect but be prepared for sticker shock! THeir deli/ salad bar is perfect for a cheaper fast lunch. There is a golf cart shuttle to take you back and forth to the beach but the walk to the beach is nothing at all; seriously folks less than 5 minutes. Beach service for umbrella and chairs is great and friendly. We had no problems with $8.00 per day for renting an umbrella to get out of the sun occasionally.
I would absolutely return to the Ports of Call and look forward to my next trip. Keep up the good work and I hope management does something to acknowledge the truly wonderful staff they have.

1  Thank pokey89

Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review. As you can see from two recent postings we can't make everyone happy but we sincerely try our best to provide friendly service at value pricing. FYI..I believe that the employee that you refer to with the big smile is Milliamie and she will definately appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed for a week, sadly, checking out on 6/28. Ports of Call had a great central location. Couple minute walk to the beach, one minute walk to ice cream, what more could you want?

The staff was fantastic. Evelyn was awesome! Never met a grumpy staff member. Even the guy painting the rooms across the hall from us was friendly. The lady who cleaned the room never disappointed and managed to shovel out all the sand that we dragged in every day.

The room is exactly what we expected and needed. It served as a base we used to stage our adventures from. We used the room to sleep and on most days for lunch. Being in the middle of everything it was only about a 10 minute drive from everything we did.

The only thing that the room needs is hooks for rigging up a clothes line. We had to get creative with coat hangers and chair backs.

TO THE MANAGEMENT: Room 165's smoke alarm makes a funny noise. Never got to the point where it was too annoying but it might to other folks. The left hand side window's lock is broken. We noticed on the day we checked out and I think we forgot to mention it to Evelyn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
DPAPKE, Owner at Ports of Call Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you so much for the great review. I know the comments about the staff were really appreciated. Sorry about insufficient hooks in your room. Extra hooks and an expandable shower line for every room arrived on the island over two months ago and I was told had been installed in every room. It seem like 165 was missed and the situation will be corrected immediately.