“Like Returning Home...love it!”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
New York City, New York
“Like Returning Home...love it!”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I almost don't want to tell others about how amazing Turks and Caicos is; I would be saddened if it becomes over run by guests. 2nd time back to Provenciales and Royal West Indies; have no desire to go anywhere else. Beautiful and peaceful. The staff at RWI are friendly and usually eager to assist with any issue. We only just returned today and I am anxious to plan my next stay! We were though dissapointed with the fact that I had called 2 wks prior to our arrival requesting that we would like two units (my daughter and fiance had booked the same week) within the same proximity of each other. I do realize that RWI was completey booked this week, but I feel they could have juggled a bit especially with a 2wk notice; we were in units quite a distance away. Also, this was a milestone b'day vacation celebration for myself; I discovered that my daughter had requested a bottle of bubbly to be in my room, and it was not. No biggie, but both requests would have been special if granted. Just feel that the effort was not made.
I must say that I found the resort and beach a bit more crowded then my 1st stay in June of 2010. What a difference a month makes. Still serene and beautiful. I rented a car this visit and found it very easy to navigate the island and discover new beaches. Taxis can be pricey so the rental paid for itself since we also ate at the island's fabulous restaurants pretty much every night. A 7min walk will bring you to Coco Bistro; a wonderful romantic restaurant with amazing food and service (make reservations). The new restaurant at RWI (Pelican Bay) was surprisingly good; and convenient...also, one of the best margaritas I've ever enjoyed!
Be certain to chat with Andrea; she has a desk in the lobby and will go out of her way to book an excursion of your choice. She is so sweet and personable!
We, again, stayed in a garden studio on the ground fl. Very comfortable and convenient.
Shopping is fun. Be certain to check out the shops at Salt Mills and Regent Village; located next to one another. Duty free local rum can be purchased at Regent with a checked bag allowance of 2 per passenger. You can then purchase 2 additional bottles of spirits per passenger to carry on at the airport shop upon departure. My husband and I were able to return with 8 bottles. I guess most tourists are not aware of this. Great gifts!
Final say...I will be returning to this paradise again, and, since so satisfied with RWI, will book again at this property...it's like returning home.

3 Thank NanNY17_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Hebrew first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The island was a great visit no doubt. My advice is without a doubt rent a car for your stay...we did and we got a chance to see the entire island of Provo. Our most memorable time was going to mudjin harbour in middle caicos via the iga ferry. our second best time was a toss up between Taylor bay and pelican beach...the water is amazing and spectacular. It's as if we had the entire beach to ourself...u will not be diassapointed.
The overall price for gas and groceries plus lunch or dinner is quite pricy, but worth the memories. Looking back I wouold have set up the rental car in advance because I feel as if Avis at the airport took advantage of us price wise vs negotiated with other companies in advance. Make sure u understand the pace of people there (waiters and waitresses) is at their pace and at times not to friendly but I guess that is just island time....(long time to be greeted or get food served). Turks and Caicos is ideal if u rlooking for PURE relaxation and not the hustle and bustle of everyday life and is also a good environment for young children....we took our two sons with us age 8 and age 5....they loved it and the calmness of the water was ideal for them and even younger children...(Taylor bay). Took the kids to the conch farm...it was fun and actually very interesting...the kids had fun there. Standout: mudjin harbour - middle caicos, pelican beach, Taylor bay, and coral garden reef. Try to visit these places...some off the beaten path but again worth it. Tremendous trip!!!!!!!!
Bottom line great trip, great beaches, great water, memorable vacation.

3 Thank Soniaev
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2011

This was our first time to Turks Caicos and we had the best time.
We have been to many islands over the years this by far was one of the best.
Beautiful beaches and water . Did not know it has the third largest barrier reef in the world which makes for great . Royal West Indies was perfect .The accomadations were great , just as advertised. The staff was friendly and very helpful.( Frankley I dont get others complaints about anything regarding this hotel or staff. as mentioned we have been all over the caribean and Hawaii ,this is one of the best places ever.
Our beach chairs and umberllas were set up by 7:30-8:00 every morning well before other hotels.
We intend to make this an anual trip

1 Thank thawe
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This resort was amazing. The grounds are beautiful and the staff is super friendly. I celebrated my 40th birthday with my friend and teenage daughter. We all had a great time. Make sure you bring instant coffee, creamer, and snacks. The food gets pricey and if you are comfortable driving on the left, rent a car. Its cheaper than taking cabs everywhere. ease visit the Mango Reef Restaurant. The food is delicious. Our waiter whas Trever Thomas. He was the best I've ever encountered. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank FabulousForty40
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The hotel was great and it was at a great price. The room I had which was a basic room was nothing extravagant. However, the room was nice and clean. It is more than just another room, it was relaxing. I spent my share of time looking out my room balcony and reading. The bed was great, and I have problems sleeping.
The staff were great. Everyone I felt made me feel at home and special. Sherman came thru for me when I need something. From the front counter to the beach staff I was very satisfied with the service. The staff are one of the jewels of the stay. I like to interact and talk with people and the staff always indulged me. I learned a lot about the island and I am thankful to the staff for that.
The restaurant was great. The prices I found to be better than going to the local store and buying stuff to cook. At the local IGA you will pay prices you have never seen before like $10 for a quart of ice cream. So for me it was cheaper to eat at the hotel. A single person can eat for around $15 a meal. The bar staff James Lee and Mario where very friendly and will engage you in conversation and you will get your monies worth if you drink. More than your monies worth.
I would stay again and would recommend the hotel to any of my friends with children or not.
You can rent a car for under $50 a day, actually $43 is what I paid. The island is small and you can drive to every part in a day. If you get a car stop a Chinson, a Jamaican and Chinese restaurant. The jerk chicken is absolutely fabulous. You can visit Sapodilla beach or Long Beach Bay, you are almost guaranteed not to see more than five other people.

1 Thank GShrop
Manassas, VA
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Royal West Indies (RWI). What a fabulous resort. Spotlessly clean, very friendly and helpful staff, excellent location on Grace Bay, and beautifully manicured gardens. We stayed in a 2 BR, botanical view condo, very well appointed, full kitchen, washer/dryer. The 2BR unit easily accommodated our family of 5. Pull out couch was quite comfy according to my daughter. Resort offers free bikes (about six) which you can take for up to 2 hours, between the hours of 8am-6pm. Easy ride to the Graceway Gourmet market to pick up groceries. On site Pelican Bay restaurant offered good food at reasonable (for Provo) prices. Bartenders make some killer frozen rum drinks. Internet service was spotty but that was probably due more to the service provider than the resort.

The RWI is located on eastern end of Grace Bay so I'd recommend getting a rental car from Grace Bay Car Rentals (ask for Paul). Paul and his staff were very accommodating. For $40/day plus tax (no hidden fees/charges) you can drive to any restaurant you want, Bight Reef for snorkeling, Salt Mills shopping area, Turtle Cove, etc. Well worth it, especially when taxis are so expensive. Plus, you get to learn to drive on the left!

We definitely recommend this resort and would certainly return.

1 Thank CentAmMark
New York
Reviewed 16 July 2011

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Turks and Caicos - This island is one of the most beautiful places on earth - We stayed at The Royal West Indies and we could not have wanted more - The room was clean and had all we needed - The bed was comfortable and each room has a kitchen area which includes washer/dryer - The pools were beautiful and you are just a few steps from the beach (which is amazing) - The staff were extremely friendly and helpful - The only area that needed improvement was the restaurant, the food was good but could be better - There are some great restaurants further down the beach which is always a good option - I would recommend that you visit the supermarket (greenway) to stock up on some sodas and snacks as they can be quite expensive - There is a french bakery (Caicos Cafe) a few moments down the main road that has the best pastries, it is a must visit - The Royal West Indies has bikes that you can take for up to two hours at a time which was extremely helpful. Overall it was a great vacation and we are planning our next trip.

1 Thank orla74