“Mostly fabulous with minor quirks.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal West Indies Resort

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Lady Lake, Florida
“Mostly fabulous with minor quirks.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

We had a two-bedroom suite, shared with a friend, which was a wonderful set up - two bathrooms, two private bedrooms, two balconies, and her own kitchenette. In other words, plenty of privacy all around.

We were delighted to even be able to see the ocean from our building - the farthest away, and had no problems with access to the free water sports equipment and albeit old bicycles, which we used to go to the grocery store a mile away. All the help was very pleasant and, well, helpful, including setting up a tour, getting a rental car for a day, and using the beach and water sports amenities.

There were some maintenance issues that needed attention, mostly minor, such as the CD player not working. Our only real complaint was that we were not given any leeway on the checkout time and, at the last minute we could not find one of the room keys. That was a $50 fee, which was supposed to be refunded if we found the key and returned it. We did find the key and mailed it back registered mail but haven't heard anything from the USPO or the resort.

Otherwise, the grounds are beautiful, the food at the restaurant was great, and the beach is outstanding! DO take a snorkeling tour (but not necessarily the one that goes to the caves waaaaay far away).

Room Tip: More than two people? Definitely get the two-room suite; it's actually a one-bedroom suite and...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Laura54

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Hebrew first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

FABULOUS. Did spend 8 days(5-13july) ,superbe vacation.love the island and peoples. we had a studio ocean front(#123) ( 1st building -2nd floor). This resort is on the best beach in Provo(pearl sand and turquoise water) !!! very clean property,spacious condos,groom tropical landscaping,plantation style . Resort offer complimentary hobbies cat,kayak,snorkel!!. Did use the hobbies cat 3 times a day during my 8 days stayed. if you do not know how to use it ,ask one of the staff @ the beach they will take you sailing and teach you the rope for free.(not joking!) .
Went to many properties/resorts in Grace bay and this was my favorite one.
All the staffs were very pleasant, kind ,and helpful with all our needs.

I will recommend a rental car(grace bay rental was 10 steps from the airport ,our car was park in front :)then you drop the car in front as well ,$300/week, you will spend that much with taxi /airport shuttle,etc.and inconvenience!!! very easy to drive around the island.

Regarding food/restaurant with just had snack/drinks @the beach from their pelican menu(burger/sandwiches)which was good.

Our favorite restaurant was #1 anacoana(great location on the beach,very stylish)),#2 the grill Rouge(great location as well),#3 coco bistro(great ambiance),#4Coyaba. Hemingway for dinner great location ,food was average, but they make the best Mojito !!
Breakfast at the Seaside cafe was good.
Sunset/dinner a @ "Somewhere cafe &lounge" good mexican food & location.
Tiki Hut cabana Grill has a great menu ,not too pricey and great location on the turtle cove marina dockside.
Conch shack for fritter and Rum punch
and the Green Bean cafe for snack /coffee was friendly &quick.

Great diving with DIVE PROVO... THE BEST underwater memories.

have a great trip:)

4 Thank islanderbob
New jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Wow where to start I had heard many things about Turks & Caicos mostly about the beautiful scenery but when I decided to go had no idea about the islands, I didn't know where to go to stay what to do it was a sort of on the whim vacation in fact when I mentioned it to my wife she had to google it just to find out where it was she had no idea it existed anyway I did some research on trip advisor on things to do where to stay and I came across RWI resort from the pictures it looked beautiful and they happened to be running a special on there website for 40% off the room price, so the price was right I booked still a bit unsure of my choice, but hey vacation is all about taking chances anyhow this resort is beautiful, the grounds are well maintained I saw maintenance crew, pool hands, concierge and all staff all throughout he day from when I arose at 5am until well after midnight constantly tidying up and making sure everything remained pristine, the newly opened pelican bay restaurant had great food especially the Sunday family jerk food fiesta yummy the food is a bit pricey but that's pretty much everywhere on Provos, there's a grocery store within walking distance about 10 mins walking or a little less if you take one of t complimentary bikes the hotels provide although I suggest getting them early the bikes get taken quick and being there is a to hour limit you migh be stuck waiting, walking, or taking a taxi like we did, the pools are well kept, there a quiet zone pool area which was alway peaceful and then there's the other pool which is near the bar and the beach if your looking for more excitement we barely touched the pool being the ocean was a minutes walk and so warm and refreshing a drastic change from what we have here in new jersey, all the staff was great we particularly liked Vanessa who was our waitress three out of the four times a th pelican bay and Calvin who gaves us. Great talk about the islands people it's history and just other general conversation he usually serves drinks on th beach and helps with th umbrellas and beach chairs he was awesome really made us feel welcome, we really enjoyed our stay at royal west indies everyone was very inviting and very friendly as if we've known them for years and now after this stay we hope to really get to kno them for years to come on our many return trips!!!!

Room Tip: Studio island view was great, the ocean view room seemed a bit noiser as most were near the bar and...
1 Thank Dagoldenchild
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

First time travelling solo, and I could not have chosen a finer travel destination, and a more personable hotel enviroment. The Royal West Indies is located on a small, exclusive property, on the most beautiful waterfront in the world. The hotel is actually a time share propert;y, so each owner has a vested interest in the success of your experience. I stayed in a room with a king-size bed, air conditioning, small kitchenette, and washer/dryer combo.The staff of the on-site laundry are the invisible people who provide fresh spotless bedding, and stain-free and fresh smelling towels. The room was clean, the towels were fresh and abundant, and the hotel was a safe haven due to discreet security. From the smiling gardeners to the bar and dining room staff,, to the beach attendants, ;you were a welcomed guest in their "home", and were treated as such. The pools were cleaned and sanitized before the guests arose each and every morning, and the beach attendants greeted you with fresh towels ( as many as you needed throughout the day!) and escorted you to a chair, put up your umbrella; another gentleman asked if you wanted a drink or food from the bar throughout the day.You could sign up for Hobie cat sailing, and masks/snorkels and flotation devices were available as well. Two small quiet pools, a 25 meter pool, and the endless white sand beach offered something for everyone.Be sure to bring an inflatable float, for ;you will spend many hours floating in the beautiful waters. The weather was pleasantly warm, but the beach breeze masked the humidity of a Carribean island. Newlyweds, families, and businessmen from all over the world mingled throughout the day, and the size of the resort was condusive to conversations, friendly exchanges of experiences, and lots of fun.The beach ammenities ceased about 7 p.m., as darkness fell, and the on-site restaurant and bar closed at 10:30 p.m. Many people gravitated to the beach to watch the spectacular sunsets, and to share a glass of wine and the end of another beautiful day. The chef is from England and you will find a mix of flavors and food choices on the menu. For those who chose a leisurely day, a grocery store and a Scotiabank is a quick taxi drive away, and some people frequented the Fresh Bakery which was withing walking distance. Bicycles were available as well. The excursion to Iguana Park allowed for snorkelling, conch diving, and casual time on a private beach to search for huge sanddollars, pieces of coral, and unusual shells: "Pringles" was an entertainging host on the trip. The Salt Mills shopping area was withing walking distance, and most guests found treasures, bathing suits, and rum punch to take home. Numerous diving shops sold top of the line equipment, and many groups of guests left the hotel early in the morning for successive and exclusive deep water scuba dives;due to the actual structure of the barrier reef, Turks is one of the most renowned diving destinations in the world. From the moment smiling Sherman greets you at the front door and ensures your luggage is delivered to your room, to the moment the efficient front dest ladies assist you with a smooth check-out , your stay is free of stress. I cannot wait to return to this hotel, this destination, this experience. You only need bathing suits, cover ups, casual dinner attire, and sunscreen. The flight from Halifax to Toronto to Turks and Caicos was seamless, and I have been told that direct flights will be available during the winter peak season. Heartfelt thanks to the staff and owners of the Royal West Indies Resort.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank jporter_11
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

I almost don't want to tell others about how amazing Turks and Caicos is; I would be saddened if it becomes over run by guests. 2nd time back to Provenciales and Royal West Indies; have no desire to go anywhere else. Beautiful and peaceful. The staff at RWI are friendly and usually eager to assist with any issue. We only just returned today and I am anxious to plan my next stay! We were though dissapointed with the fact that I had called 2 wks prior to our arrival requesting that we would like two units (my daughter and fiance had booked the same week) within the same proximity of each other. I do realize that RWI was completey booked this week, but I feel they could have juggled a bit especially with a 2wk notice; we were in units quite a distance away. Also, this was a milestone b'day vacation celebration for myself; I discovered that my daughter had requested a bottle of bubbly to be in my room, and it was not. No biggie, but both requests would have been special if granted. Just feel that the effort was not made.
I must say that I found the resort and beach a bit more crowded then my 1st stay in June of 2010. What a difference a month makes. Still serene and beautiful. I rented a car this visit and found it very easy to navigate the island and discover new beaches. Taxis can be pricey so the rental paid for itself since we also ate at the island's fabulous restaurants pretty much every night. A 7min walk will bring you to Coco Bistro; a wonderful romantic restaurant with amazing food and service (make reservations). The new restaurant at RWI (Pelican Bay) was surprisingly good; and convenient...also, one of the best margaritas I've ever enjoyed!
Be certain to chat with Andrea; she has a desk in the lobby and will go out of her way to book an excursion of your choice. She is so sweet and personable!
We, again, stayed in a garden studio on the ground fl. Very comfortable and convenient.
Shopping is fun. Be certain to check out the shops at Salt Mills and Regent Village; located next to one another. Duty free local rum can be purchased at Regent with a checked bag allowance of 2 per passenger. You can then purchase 2 additional bottles of spirits per passenger to carry on at the airport shop upon departure. My husband and I were able to return with 8 bottles. I guess most tourists are not aware of this. Great gifts!
Final say...I will be returning to this paradise again, and, since so satisfied with RWI, will book again at this property...it's like returning home.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank NanNY17_11
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

The island was a great visit no doubt. My advice is without a doubt rent a car for your stay...we did and we got a chance to see the entire island of Provo. Our most memorable time was going to mudjin harbour in middle caicos via the iga ferry. our second best time was a toss up between Taylor bay and pelican beach...the water is amazing and spectacular. It's as if we had the entire beach to ourself...u will not be diassapointed.
The overall price for gas and groceries plus lunch or dinner is quite pricy, but worth the memories. Looking back I wouold have set up the rental car in advance because I feel as if Avis at the airport took advantage of us price wise vs negotiated with other companies in advance. Make sure u understand the pace of people there (waiters and waitresses) is at their pace and at times not to friendly but I guess that is just island time....(long time to be greeted or get food served). Turks and Caicos is ideal if u rlooking for PURE relaxation and not the hustle and bustle of everyday life and is also a good environment for young children....we took our two sons with us age 8 and age 5....they loved it and the calmness of the water was ideal for them and even younger children...(Taylor bay). Took the kids to the conch farm...it was fun and actually very interesting...the kids had fun there. Standout: mudjin harbour - middle caicos, pelican beach, Taylor bay, and coral garden reef. Try to visit these places...some off the beaten path but again worth it. Tremendous trip!!!!!!!!
Bottom line great trip, great beaches, great water, memorable vacation.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Soniaev
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

This was our first time to Turks Caicos and we had the best time.
We have been to many islands over the years this by far was one of the best.
Beautiful beaches and water . Did not know it has the third largest barrier reef in the world which makes for great . Royal West Indies was perfect .The accomadations were great , just as advertised. The staff was friendly and very helpful.( Frankley I dont get others complaints about anything regarding this hotel or staff. as mentioned we have been all over the caribean and Hawaii ,this is one of the best places ever.
Our beach chairs and umberllas were set up by 7:30-8:00 every morning well before other hotels.
We intend to make this an anual trip

1 Thank thawe