“Relaxing stay at charming resort on a very expensive island.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal West Indies Resort

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Brooklyn, NY
“Relaxing stay at charming resort on a very expensive island.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I just got back from a week at the Royal West Indies Resort. It was an incredibly relaxing trip.
I found the staff to be very polite and friendly. The grounds were beautiful with well kept stone pathways and lush foliage.

There are eight buildings with the low numbers towards the beach and higher numbers further inland. Buildings 6, 7 and 8 surround the "quiet" pool while building 5 faces towards the restaurant and other pool. The other buildings are positioned closer towards the beach.

Each unit is individually owned and then rented through the resort to guests. I stayed in a studio with a kitchenette (fridge, sink, coffee maker), full laundry, full bath and a patio. It was very clean and charming. I appreciated having WIFI and cable TV if I wanted it. After eight hours outdoors, a little A/C and cable really did the trick.

In addition to the two pools, the resort also features a hot tub, and direct beach access to the gorgeous Grace Bay Beach.

I recommend a stop at the GraceWay IGA for basics including some food, alcohol and water. While you can trick the tap water on Provo, it is highly sulfuric much like the water of central Florida. I preferred bottle water and they charged $3 a bottle at the hotel. I ended up buying a few gallons at $2 a pop at the IGA. Be sure to come prepared with sunscreen and bug spray.

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay.

Cons:
- Next door to the rather loud Club Med -- I could hear it periodically (and usually in the early evening hours) from both the beach and my room.
- The hotel restaurant was very expensive (I spent about $100 on 3 meals and 2 cocktails a day there.)
- The hotel tacks on a 10% "service fee" at the Pelican Bay restaurant -- this money does NOT go directly to your waitstaff. It gets split through the entire hotel staff. I found it pretty tacky they added this on and I imagine may people just assume this is a tip -- which it is not. If you tip 20%, you are looking at 42% on top of tab -- which I promise is already expensive.
- The only place to get towels is in the beach area, not by the pools.
- This is a critique of TCI, not RWI the island is incredibly expensive in terms of both cabs and food.

Pros:
- Reasonably priced in the shoulder season.
- Each unit has a balcony and various amenities based on the size.
- The hotel and restaurant staff were incredibly polite and kind.
- The beach was pretty close to the residential area.
- The grounds were quite beautiful and well cared for.
- My favorite dishes were the asparagus tips risotto and the whole hen with jerk sauce.
- The staff is very accommodating.
- The grounds felt safe.
- This resort is great for families with young children and couples of all ages.

Tanya Handfield of TNC Taxi was the most honest and fair priced driver I met there so I am including her in the review. You can reach her at: tanyahandfield@hotmail.com

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Sarah B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

So many great things about this place. The moment we arrived until the time we had to pack our things everyone was amazing. The room was perfect. Mario at the bar was the perfect host. The staff here is amazing. Lopez the bell captain ,awesome.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James H
Fort Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We arrived May 22, 2014 and left May 26.....too short!! One of the best resorts we have been in. Rooms were above the excellent stage, we had a first floor unit in 4...easy for all access. The staff
made the visit...from the Bell captain - Lopez Williams to each server at the bar and restuarant...
super friendly!! Grounds were clean, always a chair and towels waiting, We were in a wedding party, which was perfect....out on the beach near sunset...hotel staff and wedding planner made this trip! Food and drinks were really good. We will go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Glenn U
Salisbury, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

RWI is a wonderful getaway from everyday hectic life. Rooms are clean, grounds are immaculate and beach is amazing! We never had a problem getting a place at the beach or the pool. We asked for a king but got two doubles which was just ok...more opportunity to snuggle!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a much better view....Building 1 or 2 are best.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jennbte2ct
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed May 10-17 with our 3 boys, 15, 13 and 4. The hotel grounds are the most gorgeous grounds I have seen at a resort. So lush. The rooms are very comfortable and the access to a kitchen served us well. The staff at the resort were all very friendly. Food was good, drinks were excellent. The beach is just gorgeous and the pools wonderful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Limeabean
Uxbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

My wife and I went back to the Turks for a much needed vacation. Our first stay was at the Alexandra which we liked. This trip we booked the royal West Indies and got a garden view studio. The RWI is further north on grace bay and the resorts seem to be spaced further apart although the huge club med is right next door. The RWI grounds were beautiful with flowering foliage that I would call mature. The grounds are well kept and just a soothing type atmosphere. Our room was on the 3rd floor of building 6 and had a great view of the gardens and one of the pools. The studio was nice and was all we needed with a nice bed, refrigerator microwave and sink. My only complaint about the room was the shower it had plenty water coming out of the faucet but when you pulled the diverter almost no pressure came out of the shower head. The small pools are clean and warm, great for unwinding after a day at the beach. The Jacuzzi was nice but was to warm most of the time, it was nice to relax in on the cooler nights. I did find one thing that ruffled my feathers a bit was the people that would go down to the pool the first thing in the morning and stake a claim on chairs for the whole day. Don't get me wrong if you are going to use them then have at it but don't put down your stuff then leave for hours at a time especially since their aren't a lot of chairs around the pool. I watched this older couple do this for 4 days in a row. The beach attendants are pretty good they put out the chairs and umbrellas every morning. Remember a little tip goes a long way. The resort has a sailboat, paddle boards and kayak which are free to use. We didn't use the restaurant at the resort except for happy hours. Not a bad deal from 5-7 drinks are buy one get one. Again nice place to just relax. We tend to go off and and find the more local places to eat. You may see some of my restaurant reviews if you look but a couple of my favorites are Smokeys, bugaloos and Jimmy's dive bar for the conch fritters. Don't judge a book by its cover on these places they are good local haunts. The Turks is a great place to go and just leave the stress behind and I wouldn't hesitate on going back to the RWI.

1 Thank MacLuvBeer
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We went here for our Honeymoon and had a fantastic time. The staff was friendly, the pools were always uncrowded and there was always a chair (and towel) available on the beach.

The grounds are very well maintained and full of beautiful flowers. The location is great with many shops and restaurants an easy walk away. Staff was helpful and attentive, the bar had happy hour from 5-7pm.

We had a 1st floor studio, which had a large refrigerator, toaster and microwave. We had a small patio with table and chairs- with the pool only a few steps away.

Great value, we had a fantastic time.

1 Thank kate b